Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Clempson wrote:
what is your point?

His point is that Lance is da evil. Funny how he keeps lying about the extent of doping in order to put more blame on LA. Heck, he is even lying about Cipollini not using transfusions in 2001 even though Gazzetta dello Sport reported Cipo's program for his build up to the 2001 Giro. (9 consecutive days of EPO followed by a transfusion followed by more EPO plus HGH and a transfusion on the first day of the race.)

Then there Michael's--I mean Julian's--admission that Moser used transfusions for his hour record but denial that it was more than that even though Moser's team, Gis, was using them. Again it is a way to put more blame on LA instead of admitting that cycling was a cesspool of doping before Lance won the Tour. PDM's own soigneur says he was giving transfusions to riders in 1988 but that is dismissed because no riders have admitted it. Uh huh. We all know that riders would never lie about their doping and we should take there word for it rather than contemporaneously written records about what was being given to riders on the team.

It is just bizarre. With incomplete information but clear evidence that transfusions were used before 2000 and clear evidence that transfusions were used after 2000, he comes to the conclusion that Lance must have been the only one using them and had an advantage. This looks like the typical hater fantasy being promoted by Race Radio, that cycling was about to clean itself up after the Festina affair but Lance--all by himself--dragged an unwilling sport back into doping in 1999. Hey, wasn't there a wily French refugee from Festina named Virenque who rode the 1999 Tour? Nah, couldn't be. Even if there was I am sure he did not continue doping.

If is funny how you just double down on the lie.

There is zero evidence that any teams but USPS were using transfusions in 2000. If there was you might present it but so far nothing. You want to pretend that using transfusions during the Tour was common place but the only thing you can provide as evidence is a 27 year old notebook? You need to do better then that.

It is funny how you ignore the EPO retro tests from 1999 that show very few positives for EPO after the Prologue. The majority of them belonging to one rider, lance Armstrong.

With all of the insults and denial of reality it is clear this is very personal for you. Sorry your heart was broken, not my fault

It
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Do you have any idea how dangerous and difficult it was to keep blood safe and successfully replace it in the athlete? I find it highly unlikely this was as common practice as early as you suggest cosidering the ease and relative safety (both from a health and lack of detection perspective) with which other forms of PEDs could be used. Your arguments come over as being weaker with little evidence while ignoring evidence presented to you. I have nno dog in this fight, but that's just my perspective and it seems more personal for you.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [julian D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
julian D wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Clempson wrote:
what is your point?

His point is that Lance is da evil. Funny how he keeps lying about the extent of doping in order to put more blame on LA. Heck, he is even lying about Cipollini not using transfusions in 2001 even though Gazzetta dello Sport reported Cipo's program for his build up to the 2001 Giro. (9 consecutive days of EPO followed by a transfusion followed by more EPO plus HGH and a transfusion on the first day of the race.)

Then there Michael's--I mean Julian's--admission that Moser used transfusions for his hour record but denial that it was more than that even though Moser's team, Gis, was using them. Again it is a way to put more blame on LA instead of admitting that cycling was a cesspool of doping before Lance won the Tour. PDM's own soigneur says he was giving transfusions to riders in 1988 but that is dismissed because no riders have admitted it. Uh huh. We all know that riders would never lie about their doping and we should take there word for it rather than contemporaneously written records about what was being given to riders on the team.

It is just bizarre. With incomplete information but clear evidence that transfusions were used before 2000 and clear evidence that transfusions were used after 2000, he comes to the conclusion that Lance must have been the only one using them and had an advantage. This looks like the typical hater fantasy being promoted by Race Radio, that cycling was about to clean itself up after the Festina affair but Lance--all by himself--dragged an unwilling sport back into doping in 1999. Hey, wasn't there a wily French refugee from Festina named Virenque who rode the 1999 Tour? Nah, couldn't be. Even if there was I am sure he did not continue doping.

There is zero evidence that any teams but USPS were using transfusions in 2000. If there was you might present it but so far nothing. You want to pretend that using transfusions during the Tour was common place but the only thing you can provide as evidence is a 27 year old notebook? You need to do better then that.

It is funny how you ignore the EPO retro tests from 1999 that show very few positives for EPO after the Prologue. The majority of them belonging to one rider, lance Armstrong.

With all of the insults and denial of reality it is clear this is very personal for you. Sorry your heart was broken, not my fault

It

Even if I hated someone with every fiber of my being, I would not devote so much time to researching them and posting on a internet forum.. You seem angry and hurt and it seems that you have a personal interest here. Why? Did Lance hurt you in some way?
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Do you have any idea how dangerous and difficult it was to keep blood safe and successfully replace it in the athlete? I find it highly unlikely this was as common practice as early as you suggest cosidering the ease and relative safety (both from a health and lack of detection perspective) with which other forms of PEDs could be used. Your arguments come over as being weaker with little evidence while ignoring evidence presented to you. I have nno dog in this fight, but that's just my perspective and it seems more personal for you.

Especially during the 70's/80's in France in the middle of July. It is just a way to deflect from truth. The playing field was not level. Lance never would have won a Tour if the playing field was level. In fact he never finished a Tour until he started working with Ferrari.
  • Doping, especially oxygen vector doping, effects each rider differently
  • The retro testing proves that very few riders besides Lance, were using EPO during the 1999 Tour
  • No rider had the level of protection Armstrong had from the UCI
  • Armstrong paid Ferrari over $1,000,000 for his services. Very few riders could afford this
  • There is zero evidence that any teams but USPS were using transfusions in the 2000 Tour. We have lots of evidence that show many teams were several years behind

With the insults and attempts to deflect the discussion to what a track rider was doing 30 years ago it does appear for some the topic is more personal then factual
Last edited by: julian D: Feb 26, 15 15:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
julian D wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
cshowe80 wrote:
Today they are just using different dope I'm sure that's been in the pipeline waiting for EPO to be detectable. Maybe not as effective as EPO but rest assured, doping is happening but on a more controlled basis to prevent the risk of tipping the scales towards the "doper" side of the fence.

Seeing as how Froome and Porte are climbing as fast as Armstrong, faster in some cases

Data please and thank you

Froome has broken some of Armstrong's records in training. The Madone is the best example, but his efforts in races seldom come close unless it is on a seldom used climb or a cherry picked section.

Take a climb like Alp d'Huez, which is climbed almost every year. The most recent time in the top 30 of all time is from 9 years ago. Froome was 5 minutes slower then the record. He was 3 minutes slower then the record on Ventoux. Regardless there is a high likelihood Froome is doping

Some folks like to say nothing has changed, but it clearly has. Climbing times are down across the board. In 1997 over 60 riders broke 45 minutes on Alp d'Huez. In 2013 about 10 did.

Thanks, that was my recollection.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
julian D wrote:

You keep on lying about Cipollini because it shows just how ludicrous your theory of Armstrong being 2-4 years ahead of everyone else is. Cipo switched to transfusions the same season that EPO testing began in cycling: 2001. Dr. Fuentes did not need to wait years and years then decide his clients had to follow Armstrong's lead.

Again. You keep dodging the question. Blood doping with EPO versus blood doping with transfusions? One makes you a worse doper than the other? Which one?

Riders switched from transfusions to EPO in the late 80s and early 90s because EPO is easier to use. The logistics are simpler. It is safer. The athletes don't lose training after a blood withdrawals. Riders changed back to transfusions when EPO testing began. It really is that simple. It did not take a genius dope doctor to figure it out. The athletic benefits of transfusions have been known and used in international competition since the early 70s.

The affidavits in the action against Armstrong are very clear. Postal was using the same stuff everyone else was. There was nothing revolutionary. EPO, transfusions, testosterone, corticosteroids. Not only that, the team limited the number of riders on the full program and the limited the amount of product used, a far cry from the free wheeling dope everyone for everything that was used by teams like Kelme and Liberty Seguros.

Keep plugging away at that dry hole, trying to prove to yourself that Armstrong was on a unique program that excuses you for buying into his story.
Last edited by: Arch Stanton: Feb 26, 15 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

The affidavits in the action against Armstrong are very clear. Postal was using the same stuff everyone else was. There was nothing revolutionary. EPO, transfusions, testosterone, corticosteroids. Not only that, the team limited the number of riders on the full program and the limited the amount of product used, a far cry from the free wheeling dope everyone for everything that was used by teams like Kelme and Liberty Seguros.

Yet you have zero evidence of this and prefer to talk about track riders.

In the 83 samples tested after the Prologue in 1999 there were only 9 positive for EPO and 5 belonged to Armstrong Compare that to 1998 where there were 32 positive/questionable samples. If everyone was using EPO in 1999 why did most of the positives, plus several near positives, belong to Lance?

You mention Kelme. Manzano said Kelme started using Transfusions in the 2003 season, 3 years after USPS. Telekom though they were too risky and did not start them till 2004, 4 years after USPS. The vast majority of riders never used transfusions, why do you pretend that everyone was doing when clearly this is a lie?

Please try to respond without insults and personal attacks. No need for that
Last edited by: julian D: Feb 26, 15 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Do you have any idea how dangerous and difficult it was to keep blood safe and successfully replace it in the athlete? I find it highly unlikely this was as common practice as early as you suggest cosidering the ease and relative safety (both from a health and lack of detection perspective) with which other forms of PEDs could be used.

Who said it was common? The evidence is clear that transfusions were used. Joop Zoetemelk admitted using transfusions for the 1976 Tour. Moser used blood transfusions in the winter of 1984 then went on to have a knockout season on the road for team Gis, winning the Giro and Milan - San Remo. Roger de Vlaeminck was offered the chance to use transfusions on the Gis squad in the mid 80s. A PDM soigneur wrote in his records that he used transfusions for three of the team's riders in 1988.

It does not mean teams were transporting blood around in July heat like Michael--I mean Julian--implies. They could have juiced up before events and left it at that. It certainly defies belief to think that after a rider like Moser discovered transfusions that he would not use them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Do you have any idea how dangerous and difficult it was to keep blood safe and successfully replace it in the athlete? I find it highly unlikely this was as common practice as early as you suggest cosidering the ease and relative safety (both from a health and lack of detection perspective) with which other forms of PEDs could be used.

Who said it was common? The evidence is clear that transfusions were used. Joop Zoetemelk admitted using transfusions for the 1976 Tour. Moser used blood transfusions in the winter of 1984 then went on to have a knockout season on the road for team Gis, winning the Giro and Milan - San Remo. Roger de Vlaeminck was offered the chance to use transfusions on the Gis squad in the mid 80s. A PDM soigneur wrote in his records that he used transfusions for three of the team's riders in 1988.

It does not mean teams were transporting blood around in July heat like Michael--I mean Julian--implies. They could have juiced up before events and left it at that. It certainly defies belief to think that after a rider like Moser discovered transfusions that he would not use them again.

Maybe I've forgotten my history, but weren't the distance runners blood doping in the 70/80's? I thought that was around the times of Lasse Viren.

And do people know who Julian D is? He keeps avoiding the question. He obviously has some serious pent up rage on the topic of doping and lance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
It does not mean teams were transporting blood around in July heat

Good of you to admit that the idea that riders were using transfusions at the Tour back in the day is crazy. We both know it was not happening. Some track riders and one day guys may have done it but even Conconi said it was too risky for stage races.

Now back to my question. Why were there so few EPO positives in the retro testing of the 1999 samples if "Everyone was doing it"? Most of them belonged to one rider, lance, and the other 4 positives likely belonged to the other riders on his team that were using Motoman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

Not exactly.

Joop was ordered by his doctor to take a transfusion after he lost a lot of blood in a crash and became anemic. He did not do it during the Tour and he said he hated it and would never do it again.

Moser used transfusions for his hour record attempt, a one day event on the track

The riders on PDM used all kinds of drugs. They wrote books on the drugs they took. None mentioned transfusions

All this talk of transfusions in the 80's is just deflection. Share with us the evidence of a team besides USPS using transfusions in the 2000 Tour. Explain to us why there were so few riders in the 1999 Tour who used EPO during the race if "everyone was doing it"

And please, try to explain it without resorting to personal attacks and insults
Last edited by: julian D: Feb 26, 15 16:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very few people hate lance because he doped.

They hate him because of every other thing he did to cover it up.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:

Even if I hated someone with every fiber of my being, I would not devote so much time to researching them and posting on a internet forum.. You seem angry and hurt and it seems that you have a personal interest here. Why? Did Lance hurt you in some way?

Just a hypothesis. But my guess is the answer is Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Dean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that I have always had trouble reconciling was the claim that everyone was doing epo, testosterone, and transfusions during the Tour, yet the USPS bus incident is so memorable and treated as an unusual, isolated, memorable event to those who took part. That would imply that transfusions, at least during the Tour, were not an everyday, every team occurrence, but that USPS with motoman and his refrigerated panniers were managing something extraordinary.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somehow you have the inside scoop on exactly what everyone was using?

It's not an inside scoop when it's public information. Just because most people are uninformed doesnm't mean the info isn't out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
julian D wrote:
Yet you have zero evidence of this and prefer to talk about track riders.

Stop lying. I have only mentioned Moser's hour record.

You keep dodging the use of transfusions immediately after the EPO test became available. Here let's get back to reality rather than neurotic hate.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...re-2003-giro-ditalia

"On Sunday, Gazzetta reported more details of what it says was Fuentes' programme for Cipollini, who is said to have gone under the code name “Maria”. The build-up to the 2001 Giro d'Italia included nine consecutive days of EPO, followed by a blood transfusion, growth hormone and more EPO – for a total of 13,000 units of the latter. Further, according to the notes, the sprinter received a transfusion on May 19, the first stage of the race."

You also keep ignoring the evidence of transfusing in the 80s on the Gis and PDM teams. Here is a refresher course.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ns-in-cycling-part-2

Interviewed by Daniel Friebe for his Eddy Merckx biography, The Cannibal, Roger de Vlaeminck made reference to the use of blood transfusions when he was a member of Moser's 1984 Gis-Tuc Lu squad. "They spoke to me about blood transfusions." De Vlaeminck told Friebe. "When I was riding for Francesco Moser, they asked whether I wanted to give half a litre of blood to put in the fridge. I said no…"

That the Gis squad may have made use of blood transfusions in 1984 is hardly a surprise. We know that Moser had used transfusions to set the Hour record in January, he did eventually confess to this fact, in 1999. Whether the Italian used the procedure at other times, especially in the Indian Summer of his career in 1984 when he won Milan-Sanremo and the Giro d'Italia, remains unknown. Part of the reason suspicion surrounds these victories is that it seems crazy to imagine that transfusions, their effectiveness having been proven, wouldn't have been used again and again and again. Another part of the reason is that, in 1984, Michele Ferrari started working with Moser's Gis team.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ns-in-cycling-part-3

So what do we know about PDM's use of blood transfusions in the 1988 Tour? Based on what was revealed by De Volksrant we know that PDM are said to have acquired the knowledge of transfusions from Italy. As for their use, all we have is an entry in team doctor Bertus Fok's diary for 11 July 1988, at the end of the stage from Nancy to Strasbourg, showing that Steven Rooks, Gert-Jan Theunisse and Jörg Müller all received blood, on top of the other products Fok was administering (which included testosterone and cortisone).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
julian D wrote:
All this talk of transfusions in the 80's is just deflection. Share with us the evidence of a team besides USPS using transfusions in the 2000 Tour. Explain to us why there were so few riders in the 1999 Tour who used EPO during the race if "everyone was doing it"

You are the one deflecting by trying to make doping all about transfusions while ignoring EPO use. Again, what makes blood doping with transfusions worse than blood doping with EPO?

You go further than that by asserting that since you only have information about Armstrong then he must be the only one doing something. You do this repeatedly for everything from help by the UCI to doping. Sorry, it does not work that way. Lack of information about others means lack of information about others. You don't get to pick and choose what other riders were doing depending on whether it supports your world view or not. What they did is unknown.

If you want to guess about what others were doing then you need to take other evidence into account. What we know about transfusions is that Armstrong was using them in 2000, Dr. Fuentes' riders started using them in 2001 at the latest, and riders had used them prior to 2000. From that you conclude that Armstrong must be the only on using transfusions in 2000. But a more reasonable conclusion is other riders began switching to transfusions at the same time and for the same reason that Armstrong did, the announcement that an EPO test would be available for the 2000 Olympics. Regardless, even if they held out for a year until the UCI to begin using the test, so what? They were still blood doping with EPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transfusions go back to at least the 1972 Finnish track and field team. At least one athlete and a team doctor have confirmed this, even though Lasse Viren never came clean.

Then you have the well documented 1984 Olympic US Cycling Team using transfusions, before the practice is finally banned in 1985.

Certainly not a new technique. It was just that EPO made it obsolete until a test was finally created. It seems likely that USPS was ahead of the curve in getting back to transfusions. They are messy and require more sophisticated logistics.

I'm not sure what the two of you are really arguing about though. Is it just whether LA had a doping advantage over the other dopers? Seems likely he did.

Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:

I'm not sure what the two of you are really arguing about though. Is it just whether LA had a doping advantage over the other dopers? Seems likely he did.

Yes, it is clear that Lance had a doping advantage over the other dopers. I have provided many examples why that is true but it appears Arch would prefer to talk about track riders.

Oh well.

Beyond the fact that the retro testing proves that few riders outside of USPS were using EPO during the 1999 Tour and there is zero evidence that any other teams besides USPS were using transfusions in 2000 there is also the very real issue that very talented riders were pushed from the sport because they refused to dope.

Edwig van Hooydonck won Flanders twice before he was 25. He retired from the sport at 28, pushed from the sport because he would not take EPO. Lance likes to pretend everyone was doing it but the reality is many extremely talented riders left the sport because they did not want to use EPO. The vast majority of Pros never did transfusions.

Some like to pretend Lance won a level playing field but that is clearly nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
You go further than that by asserting that since you only have information about Armstrong then he must be the only one doing something. You do this repeatedly for everything from help by the UCI to doping.

It is clear you have no interest in facts so I am not sure why you ask for them. I gave you the figures from the 1999 Retro testing that show that few riders besides Lance were using EPO. You ignore them and rant about track riders

When you can explain the retro testing from 1999 in a rational way, without insults, let us know.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Somehow you have the inside scoop on exactly what everyone was using?

It's not an inside scoop when it's public information. Just because most people are uninformed doesnm't mean the info isn't out there.

What is public isn't the full picture. Mr 60% only managed to win 1 tour, yet Lance was supposedly light years ahead of the entire peloton in his doping program? How high and good were his drugs that it wasn't a level playing field against folks that were able to beat Mr 60%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
julian D wrote:
dogmile wrote:

Yes, it is clear that Lance had a doping advantage over the other dopers. I have provided many examples why that is true but it appears Arch would prefer to talk about track riders.

Oh well.

Beyond the fact that the retro testing proves that few riders outside of USPS were using EPO during the 1999 Tour and there is zero evidence that any other teams besides USPS were using transfusions in 2000 there is also the very real issue that very talented riders were pushed from the sport because they refused to dope.

Edwig van Hooydonck won Flanders twice before he was 25. He retired from the sport at 28, pushed from the sport because he would not take EPO. Lance likes to pretend everyone was doing it but the reality is many extremely talented riders left the sport because they did not want to use EPO. The vast majority of Pros never did transfusions.

Some like to pretend Lance won a level playing field but that is clearly nonsense.

What was your doping program in 99? What did you witness during those years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
julian D wrote:
dogmile wrote:

Oh well.

The 2nd or 3rd fastest Kona amateur bike split in 2013, 4:29 I think, was an up-and-comer domestic talent in the late 90s, early 00s who went to race in Europe. Learned what was going to be necessary to advance further. Came home and pursued a different career instead. A dozen years later is outsplitting all but less than 10, pros included, at the most prestigious triathlon in the world. I'm sure there's plenty of talent like this out there the world has never heard of because they wouldn't dope.

I've heard stories of refrigerated panniers and bags from picture hooks and broken down buses. All USPS stories. I've never heard stories of how other teams managed to pull it off in the years of higher scrutiny post Festina. Are there stories, but I just haven't seen them? I'm pretty well informed on this subject.

Would LA have won 7 tours in the era of Indurain, Riis, and 60+% hematocrits? I highly doubt it. Lance won 7 tours after scrutiny got higher and teams left it to the athletes to handle the doping on their own, rather than systemic, team-sponsored and managed doping like in the heyday of the mid 90s.
Last edited by: kny: Feb 27, 15 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Would LA have won 7 tours in the era of Indurain, Riis, and 60+% hematocrits? I highly doubt it. Lance won 7 tours after scrutiny got higher and teams left it to the athletes to handle the doping on their own, rather than systemic, team-sponsored and managed doping like in the heyday of the mid 90s.
So he had an advantage. Many riders rode fast on USPS without testing positive, left for other teams, rode slower and got busted. From which I deduce Postal were using better drugs, or the same drugs in a better manner, or managing to get positives squashed. Whichever it is, it's not the fastest of equal cheats. As RONDAL points out, Armstrong is trying to kid himself and others that he's just a doper like so many others. Had he not gone to such extremes to cover his tracks, I'm guessing he would have been busted, banned, returned, busted again and banned for life by 2003 at the latest, same as he is now but with ~$100m less personal fortune.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lava and LA 7 article!! [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dontswimdontrun wrote:
kny wrote:
So he had an advantage. Many riders rode fast on USPS without testing positive, left for other teams, rode slower and got busted. From which I deduce Postal were using better drugs, or the same drugs in a better manner, or managing to get positives squashed. Whichever it is, it's not the fastest of equal cheats. As RONDAL points out, Armstrong is trying to kid himself and others that he's just a doper like so many others. Had he not gone to such extremes to cover his tracks, I'm guessing he would have been busted, banned, returned, busted again and banned for life by 2003 at the latest, same as he is now but with ~$100m less personal fortune.
well... i mean if you are going to cheat you might as well be smart about it. they were certainly all cheating for the same goal and using the same methods to do so; someone had to be the best at it. if he had gotten caught by testing positive would everyone like him?
Quote Reply

Prev Next