Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Will proceed shortly.
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone needs to be creative and figure out how to tilt the extensions on the TriRig bars.

I might take a look this weekend. I am sure it can be done.
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo!!

Someone more creative than me!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I probably should have mentioned that I am on the TriRig Alpha bars myself - so not slamming their product so much as wishing this feature was included.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick is a super smart guy, so I think if he saw enough demand he'd come up with an alternate mount pretty quick. He's the guy that came up with the ultra low mount for the original Speed Concept, which might have been his first "product" now that I think of it.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood but the one thing in life I have learned is that when you want something sometimes you just have to do it yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I build something similar for an IA. For now its still just in nylon, but after a wind tunnel visit later this year, I'm going to cnc these.
There is a wedge on the bottom, then the extension clamp, then an inverse wedge on top so there is something flat to clamp to.
I built out ones for 7.5 -15 degrees (I think this was a 12.5... that I was sizing for fit). To your point, Im guessing a similar thing would be doable for the tririg.

You can saee the extra height compared to one that is just slightly nudged up(4 degrees) with a conical washer underneath it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you also get a negative effect by exposing more of a horizontal BTA, with hands higher, ie. should BTA be raised also, while keeping it horizontal? Like here, where extensions are angled, but BTA left at same height as before. I could add more spacers and get longer bolts for the cage.

Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not Jim, but I have been fit by Jim and also independently pre-Jim worked out the benefits of reach and aerobar tilt so I'll comment a little.

It's more than just the sum of parts a+b+c. it's a synergy of a few things that when done right is a very fast and comfortable setup. If you understand the "Cobb Slam" then imagine this as a aerobar corollary to that.

first of all, extended reach forces you to shrug to get there, if you don't move the seat forward. Shrugging is fast aerodynamically as well know. But with a flat aerobar pad and straight extensions, it didn't feel comfortable *to me* to have that position with the bars slammed, and it was hard to get "low". So it was either raise bars, go slow, or come up with something else.

I quickly discovered that ski bend extensions and tilted aerobar pads gave me a "backboard" or "foundation" for my shrugged and turtled upper body to lean into. This had the ancillary benefit of wanting to move my butt *back*, engaging glutes a little better, while relaxing back and relaxing arms. I also discovered that it "locked" my shrug and turtle in, so I could then just relax even more and still have that position. Finally, I found that this new configuration made it very easy to actually *reach* the previously "extra" reach I had thrown in, so even more relaxation resulted which is also fast.

That said, Jim helped me discover that by going even lower, and tilting even more, I could get lower and tilt more if that makes sense. By now I was at well below "recommended" pad stack and it still felt comfortable. No adjustments to crank length or weird saddle tilt necessary. He of course also validated my position, and with his great aerodynamic memory helped me to be sure that it was fast even though we didn't test.

For me, on my P5, I tilted the pads with washers under the front of the pads and got the biggest ski bends from USE/Tula on Wiggle or PBK or something. I really lock the heels of my palms into the "hook" of the shifter cluster as it exits the extension.

I also used diagonal Zipp Vuka Wing extenders to get extra reach on the P5. This was a work-around to the no longer existing Aduro Extra Low which would have been perfect for Jim's model of fitting.

Jim let me know if this PDF is your IP and I'll remove.

Eric

DFW_Tri wrote:
Let me clarify my question... there are probably 3 (maybe more?) ways to angle arms upward....(1) tilting the entire base bar; (2) just tilting the extensions independently of the base bar; (3) keeping base bar and extensions at the same angle of each other but using an extension type that necessarily angles the forearms upward (i.e., ski bend). My understanding is that Jim's article focused on number 2 and I was asking for a comparison of numbers 2 and 3. This sorta seemed to answered in the thread earlier but not exactly. I believe Jim answered a question about s v. Ski bends combined with independent extension pads tilts. I am simply looking at the aero benefit of achieving an upward angle through S or ski bends

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff-thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great feedback...would it be possible to show some photos of your hand + aerobar position, and of your whole position if possible?

PDF link not available, I'm assuming that it's ERO's IP?
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weird, it shows on my post

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From looking at the link, it looks like it's from your DropBox account. Perhaps we (the readers of the post) don't have access to that folder on your DropBox, hence not showing up for us but only for you?

EDITED: Nope, on my end. Must be some sort of bad setting on my computer. It still doesn't show, but I was able to download the PDF to see it.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by: Cafe Lactate: Jan 9, 16 5:21
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shows on mine too

Edit-shows on my phone but not computer...
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 9, 16 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
notes:

position 1 had tilted aerobar pads and added reach using my patented washers and diagonal Zipp Vuka Wing technique. .24 CdA at 0 yaw in the wind tunnel.

position 2 was not tested. Just by tilting extensions up I dropped my elbows which gave me more reach which Jim then gave me on the fit bike. Frontal area is and coefficient of drag are likely very close to same, but even a small change (say, .49x.49 instead of .49x.50) would net me 10-15 watts as Jim said

point is, it's not the higher hands, per se, that makes you faster, it's the smaller frontal area and better (hopefully) Cd of the body that the higher hands (and hence the lower, tilted elbows) that the new positions avails.

Cafe Lactate wrote:
From looking at the link, it looks like it's from your DropBox account. Perhaps we (the readers of the post) don't have access to that folder on your DropBox, hence not showing up for us but only for you?

EDITED: Nope, on my end. Must be some sort of bad setting on my computer. It still doesn't show, but I was able to download the PDF to see it.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
weird, it shows on my post

I wish I could see it or download it.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the original Ventus slammed. I have had my forearms at an angle using a steep extension bend because of comfort but I didn't understand what comfort was until I used washers under my pads to get them to match the angle of my arms. Because of the added comfort, I can get lower. a couple of mm's of washers probably gets me a cm or two lower.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't show for me either (tried different browsers). If you copy the link location and paste it into the browser, that will get you the pdf.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are getting it. Now only if you had a long and low Tri bike, which they don't make anymore, which is Jim's position re: the industry and an aero bike fit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish my P3c and P4 TT bikes were longer and lower. I am into speed and its nice when speed and comfort intersect.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok some pics:

diagonal Zipp Vuka Wing P5 Aduro mod (patent pending):

Venus wide arm reach mod (for my old 58cm P4):

Pre ERO fit (w/ P5 mod, tilted pads, ski bends):

Jim's suggestion (note - felt more comfortable than first fit even though I was lower and more slammed):

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
You are getting it. Now only if you had a long and low Tri bike, which they don't make anymore, which is Jim's position re: the industry and an aero bike fit

The industry has moved in the direction of satisfying a mediocre average positioning philosophy that is propagated by timid professional fitters who focus on getting folks comfortable without worrying about whether they're also fast. Would be nice if a manufacturer would show some courage and make a long and low bike again. Cervelo used to but then they sold out.

I guess I shouldn't rant so much about a state of affairs that allows a mediocre geezer like me to still post top 10-15% bike splits on a crappy FTP. But the tools and knowledge that have allowed me to do that aren't trade secrets anymore so it's really on all those folks that don't take advantage of such knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an alpha installed on my felt and wasn't using the spacers that came with the it, so I tried cutting one at an angle to see how it looked. In my opinion I see no reason this wouldn't work. I was worried about the taper head bolt that clamps it all together causing issues with it sitting at an angle in the arm rest cup, but it looks good. Doing this will cause more stack, but since I have a bayonet stem I can simple adjust the stem.

Heath
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [nemisis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any pictures you can share?

I think it would be great for Nick to produce some wedge shaped parts that could be used and maybe do them at 10 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if the picture will come through. If so, I didnt get the toe in on the lower bar(no wedge spacers) so there is more rise that what it shows in the picture. There are two different thickness of spacers and would be limited on the shallow shim on how much rise you can get out it. The spacers were easy cut. I used fine line tape to mark where i wanted to cut with the cut off wheel. I didnt cut right up to the tape then used air grinder to finish off the remaining material.

Heath
Quote Reply

Prev Next