Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
This reminds me of professionals being seen running around with Red Bull. No serious athlete uses Red Bull for actual athletics.

Why? what's wrong with water, sugar (20 grams per can) and caffeine? I am a very serious athlete, mind.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Mar 23, 24 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Calvin386 wrote:
This reminds me of professionals being seen running around with Red Bull. No serious athlete uses Red Bull for actual athletics.

Why? what's wrong with water, sugar (20 grams per can) and caffeine? I am a very serious athlete, mind.

Not pink text in any way, I know plenty of pro and pseudo pro cycling guys who drink the cheapest red bull knock off the current gas station has in the fridge. Not on a road trip like Joe Trucker, usually before or in the middle of some ridiculous ride. Context is important.

I also know one who drinks hot chocolate in the morning because he doesn't like the taste of coffee, so YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw Daniela Ryf sucking down a Red Bull on a training run... said no one ever
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
Just saw Daniela Ryf sucking down a Red Bull on a training run... said no one ever

Ah yes, famous 'pro cycling guy' Daniela Ryf.

Also, and I shouldn't have to point this out, one pro not drinking Red Bull =/= every pro not drinking energy drinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m guilty of shotgunning Red Bull in the back half of the marathon at IM. It’s a level up on the Maurten Move and make Stone Cold Steve Austin.

To the original topic - in all seriousness, do we think this would be as big of a change if they still allowed hydration bladders down the jersey? This change to a low calorie, stevia drink has me suddenly needing to change up the hydration plan I’ve been using for the last 5+ years. At least in the past when the hydration was changed (such as from Powerbar perform to Gatorade) the products were very similar in terms of nutrition (specifically calories, CHO, electrolytes). I’m normally not cynical of WTC, but this feels like a money grab without the slightest sense of understanding the customer.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savage8778 wrote:
(such as from Powerbar perform to Gatorade) the products were very similar in terms of nutrition (specifically calories, CHO, electrolytes).

Power Aid is really the only option available for the bike. The run is easier to setup, Water, Coke, Redbull, Ice, Redbull, Coke, Water.

70.3 are very easy to carry enough fuel though.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on carrying nutrition for a 70.3.

There are other options for the bike - EU races did Enervit bottles which is much closer than Mortal is to Gatorade.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
forum, i read through two pages here without seeing a single "maurten move" joke.

i am disappointed.

It took me until today to read this thread because I thought it was a nothing burger and Maureen has pre mix bottles now. Good deal!

Mortal was in fact not a typo and this is a disaster
——

I wonder how much I would need to pay to get Geluminati at aid stations

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Mar 24, 24 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Red bull is absolutely delicious to me when I'm in the middle of a brutal workout or racing. It's the only thing I ever want at run aid stations.

I've probably drank one total outside of those contexts though.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
stevej wrote:
https://drinkmortal.com/

What is this stuff? Is this stuff for kids? Just based on the website, there is nothing on there that immediately tells me this is a sports drink. It just looks very childish.
I have to agree

Fight Death
💀

What?!?

Clearly a half-assed response to "Murder Your Thirst"

It took me while, but I've jumped onto the Liquid Death bandwagon

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it comes to Tier 1 hydration brands, Ironman going to a brand that might be a house brand of a website is not what I expect from the M Dot. But this isn't the first time they've played around with sponsorship of a smaller company. Move from Gu to Maurten...

But this should be an easy rotation for me. Or is Coca-Cola company not interested in competing in this space?

Tier 1 Electrolyte Hydration Brands
  • Gatorade
  • Powerade

Tier 2
  • Precision Fuel and Hydration
  • BodyArmor
  • PRIME
  • Nuun

Tier 3
  • Liquid IV
  • LMNT
  • Skratch

I ranked these by the rate of which I've seen them spend money. Immortal Hydration is just not even in the conversation. So huge miss here.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder if IM thought of coming out with their own drink
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could just buy someone's assets & IP, then rebrand them out of existence

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
When it comes to Tier 1 hydration brands, Ironman going to a brand that might be a house brand of a website is not what I expect from the M Dot. But this isn't the first time they've played around with sponsorship of a smaller company. Move from Gu to Maurten...

But this should be an easy rotation for me. Or is Coca-Cola company not interested in competing in this space?

• Gatorade
  • Powerade

Tier 2
  • BodyArmor
  • PRIME
  • Nuun

Tier 3
  • Liquid IV
  • LMNT
  • Skratch

I ranked these by the rate of which I've seen them spend money. Immortal Hydration is just not even in the conversation. So huge miss here.

IDGAF about how much they spend on marketing. Is Grey Goose, Miller Lite, or White Claw a good sponsor for on course nutrition? It's a ridiculous metric.

For every 100g water, ~5g sugar, ~0.5g sodium. It's not a mysterious formula. This should be the barrier to entry for a nutrition provider, not a nice add on.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
A) Who has ever heard of Mortal Hydration?
I heard of them earlier this year. Their ingredients are perfect choices for performance. But... please read on.
(ie. they us sugar as first ingredient and sodium citrate as the primary sodium source. Both great choices.)

The GMAN wrote:
B) Mortal Hydration has more sodium than Gatorade Endurance but nowhere near the carbs or calories (40 cal/24 ounces vs 180 cal/24 ounces).
Bingo. This is going to be an issue. Over-sodium-ing... not too bad. Under-carb-ing.... catastrophic. Especially when the only option to get more carbs is to consume an enormous amount of sodium to accomplish it.

450mg sodium per 10 grams of carbs means to get the VERY BOTTOM end of carb needs during a 70.3 or 140.6, you're forced to consume 2,250-2,700mg sodium per hour. Overkill for most folks, by a lot.

The GMAN wrote:
People haven't trained with Mortal Hydration. Someone relying on the on-course nutrition and have game planned for Gatorade Endurance has to pivot to something else they've never tried and has nowhere near the same level of calories and carbs.

Anyone know anything?
I'll get Mortal into the Saturday app fuel & hydration product database by EOD today and should have it loaded live for users by EOW at the latest. Saturday (app) will show you how to bump up the sugar. (Hint: you add sugar... or evaporated cane juice, if you like!).

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

• Gatorade
  • Powerade

Tier 2
  • BodyArmor
  • PRIME
  • Nuun

Tier 3
  • Liquid IV
  • LMNT
  • Skratch

IDGAF about how much they spend on marketing. Is Grey Goose, Miller Lite, or White Claw a good sponsor for on course nutrition? It's a ridiculous metric

Fireball is very popular with the off-road crowd; both running AND cycling

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

• Gatorade
  • Powerade

Tier 2
  • BodyArmor
  • PRIME
  • Nuun

Tier 3
  • Liquid IV
  • LMNT
  • Skratch

IDGAF about how much they spend on marketing. Is Grey Goose, Miller Lite, or White Claw a good sponsor for on course nutrition? It's a ridiculous metric.

For every 100g water, ~5g sugar, ~0.5g sodium. It's not a mysterious formula. This should be the barrier to entry for a nutrition provider, not a nice add on.

That post-race nutrition though...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t hate the idea, he’ll throw in a station with cold ones and turn dogs. I’m not gonna win but I’m probably gonna have a good time.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's awesome that you're going to get it into your app (not yet a user, but I'm a big fan of your posts here and I've started watching some of your YouTubes). I think the complaint/issue people have with this move is that most people fall into 2 basic categories:
1. They don't use the on course beverage at all. For example, I've often used shot blocks or chomps for calories and something like Nuun in water for my hydration and electrolytes. Others use their own concentrated bottle.
2. They primarily/entirely use the on course beverage (or for 140.6 use it after their own blend runs out).
And the problem is for people in category 2. They are going to grab a bottle at an aid station, and it'll taste sweet. They will think they are consuming calories. And after a few hours they will be running on empty. It's generally a given that the drink has a "normal" amount of sugar in it, and this is far below. The problem isn't going to affect anyone reading or commenting on this thread, it's those that aren't. They may not realize it's not providing any calories until it is too late.
That said, I'm only looking to do 70.3 and less over the next 5+ years, and I'm planning to try out your sugar water and sodium citrate recipes! :) Thanks for posting, I learn a ton every time!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [jtplaysdrums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree. It’s going to be a hypoglycemia-fest.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s worldwide. Not just US.

The athlete guide is out for Valencia 70.3. No mention of Gatorade anywhere (and checking other previous events, it’s both mentioned and has adverts in the guide)

On the page / info for the stops - it only mentions ‘ISO Drink’ in 750ml bottles.

Regards, Richard
3D Bits and Pieces - https://www.printables.com/@thetrickster_793480
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Wonder if IM thought of coming out with their own drink

I think it was 2019 when they did launch their own gel and bar brand in Australia. As the Aus Ironman races and NZ are owned by same, then that meant in NZ we got the same Ironman branded on course nutrition. Only slight issue was that for reasons never fully explained then the gels were only on sale direct from them in Aus and they wouldn't ship to NZ. Yep, so there was no way to test the nutrition until mid January (race was 1st March). And the gels were the most vomit inducing texture/taste you could imagine. They also swapped drinks nutrition very very late and changed flavour of drink in the race week. Sadly that meant too late to test under full load and of course whilst I tried it in that last week, under stress then I found that it caused an allergic reaction on teh run (I used own stuff on bike) and so there is still a patch of bare earth beside the course where the acid from my stomach killed the grass as I called Huey for 5 minutes.

They used to use Horleys over here, which actually was pretty good, but not helpful noting the high proportion of overseas athletes that race here. But it is all about the $. It's not about giving the athletes that have paid for entry the best experience, it is about negotiating the best commercial deal for a supplier/sponsor.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
100% agree. It’s going to be a hypoglycemia-fest.

I envision bike aid stations coming to a crawl (and potentially crashes) from folks mixing their own powders on course.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [adgatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully those folks are smart enough to just put a pre-mixed bottle in their special needs bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
I think it’s worldwide. Not just US.

The athlete guide is out for Valencia 70.3. No mention of Gatorade anywhere (and checking other previous events, it’s both mentioned and has adverts in the guide)

On the page / info for the stops - it only mentions ‘ISO Drink’ in 750ml bottles.

What Gatorade alternatives exist in other parts of the world? What will they use in Spain? Mortal barely has a domestic presence let alone a worldwide presence so I doubt they will be the electrolyte drink sponsor outside the US.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next