Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races
Quote | Reply
Apparently in the volunteer meetings for IMTX it was stated that the on-course hydration would be Mortal Hydration and not Gatorade Endurance. That info has not been reflected for the various race specific websites yet but people have posted screenshots on Facebook from the volunteer meeting for IMTX.

The first two races are in two weeks at Oceanside 70.3 and Galveston (Texas 70.3). The athlete guides both just mention the generic "Electrolyte Drink."

A) Who has ever heard of Mortal Hydration?, and B) Mortal Hydration has more sodium than Gatorade Endurance but nowhere near the carbs or calories (40 cal/24 ounces vs 180 cal/24 ounces).

Also, those two 70.3 races are in two weeks and IMTX is in five weeks. People haven't trained with Mortal Hydration. Someone relying on the on-course nutrition and have game planned for Gatorade Endurance has to pivot to something else they've never tried and has nowhere near the same level of calories and carbs.

Anyone know anything?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 22, 24 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just created a similar thread - rumor mill spreads fast!

I am curious how they will dispense mortal hydration since I believe all they have is powder. I have used Mortal by chance to get a different taste in rotation. The Raspberry is really good. They do have an extra salty, and normal formula. The extra salty is good for a pre-load of sorts. The change definitely throws a loop into nailing my hydration/nutrtion as I actually can tolerate Gatorade Endurance rather well.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, wonder what that sponsorship contract looks like. One way to go from no name brand to being used. I noticed gatorade products are no longer on the feed, wonder if something has changed from their marketing or sales or just coincidence.

10g carb won’t cut it for some ag triathletes that don’t understand nutrition, could really lead to disaster. Will it be premixed, will athletes have to mix? What flavors (they seem to offer way more variety than gatorade with different mixtures of sodium)?

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Last edited by: theyellowcarguy: Mar 22, 24 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed Rock n Roll Vegas had Mortal Hydration last month when my wife ran it. Thought that was interesting. Their aid stations were marketed as The Feed aid stations so IM must be working with them.

Also, one of the many marketing emails from The Feed has a sample pack for Mortal Hydration. I am guessing this will be announced soon.

Looks like Mortal Hydration has different flavors, the base being 10g/carb with 450mg sodium and the salty being 10g carb with 920g sodium per serving. Maybe IM will be bringing in actual bike bottles (with The Feed printed on them of course).

Todd Suttor

Working Triathlete Elite Development Team
Professional Triathlete
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that mean the bottle size and diameter will change?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oof. I don't love that if they don't have a real carby option available. Not entirely surprising as Gatorade endurance options have been getting slimmer and slimmer. Seems that they've been tapering off that side of their products. Too bad as I actually think all of their options were really good but are becoming harder to find.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel bad for the folks that are relying on on-course nutrition thinking they'll be getting carbs. I predict a lot of blowups in Galveston and The Woodlands.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
I feel bad for the folks that are relying on on-course nutrition thinking they'll be getting carbs. I predict a lot of blowups in Galveston and The Woodlands.

I am not a fan of Maurten gels either. First one of those was my last attempt at on-course nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Does that mean the bottle size and diameter will change?

I find it funny in a sad way that water bottle cages are set around the standard bottle size for 30y ago. A bottle you buy with nothing in it is still the same size, but as soon as a company is filling that bottle with something it gets smaller and smaller and smaller.

It seems Mortal has found a further way to reduce cost by using less sugar. I'm sure it's marketed as a healthy alternative to those high sugar drinks of yesteryear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OF FUCKING COURSE they swap to something with Stevia in it.

God dammit. What the fuck are we doing!??!?!?!?!

(Note: the above post is my personal opinion and does not reflect my position or the editorial view of Slowtwitch).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does Stevia pull your ass hairs?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevia tastes horrible. Easily my least favorite sweetener.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) it tastes like ass
2.) it gives me the shits

2 obviously more important than 1. Especially given the amount of white on the ST kits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://drinkmortal.com/

What is this stuff? Is this stuff for kids? Just based on the website, there is nothing on there that immediately tells me this is a sports drink. It just looks very childish.

How much did they pay IM to get this? Has IM not been paying attention to any of the latest nutrition trends (high carbs… 60+ g Cho/hr)?

This is a big fat strikeout for this new CEO. How long until this is reversed? Something tells me this will be fixed by St. George. But unfortunately not earlier.

Everyone needs to get a plan together to fuel their own race and not rely on aid stations.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Mar 22, 24 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Oof. I don't love that if they don't have a real carby option available. Not entirely surprising as Gatorade endurance options have been getting slimmer and slimmer. Seems that they've been tapering off that side of their products. Too bad as I actually think all of their options were really good but are becoming harder to find.

I agree. I'm a big fan of Gatorade endurance, but it's not very easy to get. The normal Gatorade is everywhere but it's not as ideally suited. I like the added salts and the 50/50 glucose fructose mix in endurance.

If anything I think the marketing team over Gatorsde endurance has just done a poor job across the board. From distribution to conveying strength of the product.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mix my own nutrition and take water on the course but this seems like a very stupid decision. I wonder if they bothered to ask a single customer about this change? Doubtful

If by chance one of my nutrition bottles ejects itself, I’d be screwed. I’d have to grab a dozen gels and salt tabs and stuff them in my pockets in addition to their “sports drink”
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
1.) it tastes like ass
2.) it gives me the shits

2 obviously more important than 1. Especially given the amount of white on the ST kits.

3. Makes me pee nonstop

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

(Note: the above post is my personal opinion and does not reflect my position or the editorial view of Slowtwitch).

Just posting once anyone needs to know:

Stevia is a sweetener that has 100x the palette sweetness of table sugar. It's used in low calorie foods to make them taste sweeter and have less sugar. A product prevalent to help people who crave sugar eat less calories.

You know, exactly the things that you want in a sports endurance drink, maximal sweetness, minimal calories.

Can't wait for Dr Harrison to chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Just posting once anyone needs to know:

Stevia is a sweetener that has 100x the palette sweetness of table sugar. It's used in low calorie foods to make them taste sweeter and have less sugar. A product prevalent to help people who crave sugar eat less calories.

You know, exactly the things that you want in a sports endurance drink, maximal sweetness, minimal calories.

Can't wait for Dr Harrison to chime in.

At a certain point your body processes these other sweeteners as if it just sugar. So don't drink diet often. Otherwise your body adapts.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less people taking on course nutrition is less need for on course nutrition?
Can’t be………..
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [deantrives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not that cynical. It's *probably* just a new partnership.

FWIW, most other races still very prominently say Gatorade Endurance will be on course. One can only hope.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like, Becca, the CEO and founder, grew up swimming and races bicycles. Looks like she writes for Bicycle Magazine?? Or at least has some articles for them. You can see their logo on the bottom of the drink website as well. Big win for her on the marketing. Personally, I hate Gatorade so I'm open to try it before bashing it.
https://www.bicycling.com/...13817/becca-schepps/

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Looks like, Becca, the CEO and founder, grew up swimming and races bicycles. Looks like she writes for Bicycle Magazine?? Or at least has some articles for them. You can see their logo on the bottom of the drink website as well. Big win for her on the marketing. Personally, I hate Gatorade so I'm open to try it before bashing it.
https://www.bicycling.com/...13817/becca-schepps/

Nice post, Becca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like an awful decision from IM. Gatorade is the most popular electrolyte drink out there & is packed with carbs. Easy to test out in training & then use on race day. Whatever the agreement was, I'm sure Gatorade doesn't feel like they need to advertise with athletes. Non-athletes drink the stuff like water. IM should've given into whatever they wanted out of the partnership to keep things easy on their racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to do an article on this and advocate for us! I agree 100% with the sentiment of your first post in this thread. Please!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply

Prev Next