Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
He's racing the best and finished on 4 podiums this year- a 140.6 WC 2nd and a 3rd in the biggest prize event in the sport- Collins Cup. He had a shitty Kona, but there's nothing I see from the sport that he's suddenly 1 year away from being "left behind".

It's becoming clearer that Lionel's year and success in that year is based almost solely how he did at the IMWC's in KONA (caps important). ALL other races seem to mean very little to him. Look - I know him well. Have been close to his career, literally since Day-One - Announcing at many of his early races at the Multisport Canada Series years ago when he was just getting going. I have interviewed him several times publicly for Client's Events.

The TOTAL commitment to that race and winning there in some respects is to be admired - in Long Course Triathlon Racing it's the top prize - but my feeling and sense is that it's now past him by. The 2nd place to Patrick Lange a few years back will be the high water mark. And a number of things all aligned that particular year, in that particular race for that to happen.

You get a year or two to utilize a strategy at the IMWC - then the rest of the field adjusts and they are on to you. With LS's chronic swim time deficit, that I doubt will ever change, the adjustment from the rest of the field is to never let him back into the race. Unless Lionel get's off the bike with a 5 - 10 minute lead - this is NOT a race he can win! It's really that simple and that scenario is NEVER going to happen going forward!

Because of the swim deficit I think he needs to have the strongest run in the field in order to ever have even a chance of winning. His bike can only get him back to the front pack at best, but running sub 2:40 after that, if he can ever even get back to the front pack, will be a requirement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But it’s not podium or leave the sport in 23. Because I agree with you on his chances, but if it’s podium or bust there won’t be a whole lot of pros in our sport. Like if he busts the bike and gets to the front by the end (or near the front) and gets passed by 4 people etc and finishes 7th, that’s not a bad gig. He can easily do that imo if he comes into Kona with a good mindset. See SK and Skipper who he swam right beside,. He was done before he even got to Kona this uear. But that’s not normally how he is.

He can not have a true Kona chance in his career and still have plenty left to be a world class pro.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 9, 23 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
He's merely the triathlon version of Donald Trump.

Donald Trump swims better....

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he doesn't come good this year he will just be another "also-ran" and will fade away quietly like so many others.
---
Unlikely. I think he'll milk triathlon for as long as he can. I mean, honestly, if he wasn't doing tri and that youtube thing, what else would this guy be doing?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Lionel just snuck under 33:00 today in an open 10k in Arizona.

Will be interested in his recap and I think talbot was making a vlog.

Wonder if the course was slow, or if it got super tactical with Trevor, or if Lionel is just simply not fit right now, but that’s a pretty ho-hum time for him and his past performances.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, as you could expect, it was raining. Then apparently there was a dirt err mud section on the 10k course. The short recap is up.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jail or donating body parts
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:

Wonder if the course was slow, or if it got super tactical with Trevor, or if Lionel is just simply not fit right now, but that’s a pretty ho-hum time for him and his past performances.

I ran the half today. Conditions were absolutely miserable for quick times.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's done pretty well I'd say. Not everyone can be number one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:

A bit anticlimactic, but still:

SPOILER ALERT

Lionel's time is one thing, but the fact that he ended up #2 overall, or - more surprisingly - that Talbot's 46' placed him 31st out of nearly 2k runners... Lionel says the course was long, but it may have been 60-90" long. Even adjusted for that, a 44:30-45:00 doesn't come close to the the top 1.5% anywhere in Europe I think. The course has 240 feet or 72 meters of climbing (about 25% of that being a bridge), so not perfectly flat but nothing spectacular. Out here you'd need a time in the mid-30s to place this high.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:

A bit anticlimactic, but still:

SPOILER ALERT

Lionel's time is one thing, but the fact that he ended up #2 overall, or - more surprisingly - that Talbot's 46' placed him 31st out of nearly 2k runners... Lionel says the course was long, but it may have been 60-90" long. Even adjusted for that, a 44:30-45:00 doesn't come close to the the top 1.5% anywhere in Europe I think. The course has 240 feet or 72 meters of climbing (about 25% of that being a bridge), so not perfectly flat but nothing spectacular. Out here you'd need a time in the mid-30s to place this high.

It’s a random race somewhere in the SW US. Come to a NYC 10k and you’ll find a very different result there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:

Out here in the US you also need a time in the 30s to place that high, albeit high 30s. Something must have been up with that field, or the race was at altitude or in extreme heat or something.
Last edited by: Nick2413: Jan 16, 23 3:27
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
Out here in the US you also need a time in the 30s to place that high, albeit high 30s. Something must have been up with that field, or the race was at altitude or in extreme heat or something.
>
You haven't watched the video have you? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
[
SPOILER ALERT

That is a bit laughable (in good spirit, and since the guy has an ego..he can take it).

Around here, 46 minute (regardless of the course) is what dozens of male and female runners do every day and weekend as an easy run, long, or commute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said the course was 1/4 mile long & went through 10k in 31:4x. That feels more right to me. 33:00 is what he's racing his 70.3 runs in. I really liked Lionel's 5k video series earlier in the pandemic. I find it interesting to see what pros can do in a single discipline. Wish we saw more stand alone running races.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
If he doesn't come good this year he will just be another "also-ran" and will fade away quietly like so many others.
---
Unlikely. I think he'll milk triathlon for as long as he can. I mean, honestly, if he wasn't doing tri and that youtube thing, what else would this guy be doing?

This is an odd statement. "What else would this guy be doing?" kinda implies that he does not have any other ability or knowledge outside his full time career the last 10+ years of Triathlon and the "You Tube" thing. It is sort of like saying that what else would Tom Brady be doing outside the "Football Thing" therefore he milks it for what it's worth.

Being a top level athlete, managing his sponsorships etc. and figuring out how to monetize what has been traditionally an underpaid sport does not really leave much time to do anything else, does it?

Just trying to understand the nuance to your statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I'm trying to envision what my Dentist would be doing if not for the whole "teeth thing".
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He wouldn’t be riding a $10k super bike that is for certain!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
kajet wrote:

it is not the premier race, better runners do the half and full....speaking of, ashley palson who was winner of badwater , won womens marathon at 2:43. curious to see how much longer the course was via people's strava
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Nick2413 wrote:
kajet wrote:

it is not the premier race, better runners do the half and full....speaking of, ashley palson who was winner of badwater , won womens marathon at 2:43. curious to see how much longer the course was via people's strava

In before Camille Herron questions this result and tries to upend someone Paulson's life another time...

Nick2413 wrote:

RnR Arizona is in Phoenix. Watch the video, it shows you the conditions. It was raining the whole time as the western United States has been getting dumped on since Christmas.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jan 16, 23 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Nick2413 wrote:
kajet wrote:

A friend won the women's half...she had 13.14 and given the conditions, was ok with her time but said it was a cold wet slog for AZ.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In other news Lionel says that he needs to do more standalone races to improve and rollers are the secret to better faster riding!

1) Everything old is new again. Back in a much earlier era for this sport we raced a number of stand-alone single sport races in any calendar year - running, cycling (Individual Time Trials), and Nordic Ski Races for me, were important parts and pieces of my racing year. The fitness gained and lessons learned from these single sport performances and efforts was HUGE. Lionel, could have just called me up and I would have shared the same with him! :-)

2) This is the second time Lionel's had the Rollers light bulb go on! He revealed the following to me in a sit-down interview I did with him at an Event for a Client: The first was a few years back, when apparently after a training ride with Dave Scott on the Queen K in Kona at the IMWC race that year, Dave told Lionel that his cycling was ALL quadriceps with very little activation of any other muscles while pedaling. This is actually a more common problem with triathletes than you think - particularly now with Zwift and a much higher percentage of riding, and learning how to ride, is done on indoor trainers, and a focus on chasing watts and numbers and not learning the fundamentals of a great pedal stroke. It's this last point that Rollers can be a GREAT tool for. So after the encounter with Dave, Lionel bought some Inside Ride Rollers, switched all his cycling to them, and 6 weeks later, had one of his absolute best races of his career, setting what stood for a while as the "world record" on an IRONMAN branded race course at IMAZ

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are familiar with IMAZ you understand that maybe 3/4 of a mile was on the dirt path, that was a mud pit from the rain.

My friend “Dan” who is behind talbott in the video had 6.22mi on his Strava.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was impressed with Lionel's ability to ride hard on the rollers indoors - in aerobars!

It always takes me some time to get back up to roller-competence, and I still end up riding the rollers in sneakers (no clipons) on my road bike as invariably I'll go off the rollers at least once every 12-15 minutes for whatever reason. I can't even contemplate trying it clipped in on my TT aerobars! And I've practiced rollers enough to ride them with my head turned completely backwards (like looking for cars) for over 10 seconds, so I'm not terrible at them.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I was impressed with Lionel's ability to ride hard on the rollers indoors - in aerobars!

It always takes me some time to get back up to roller-competence, and I still end up riding the rollers in sneakers (no clipons) on my road bike as invariably I'll go off the rollers at least once every 12-15 minutes for whatever reason. I can't even contemplate trying it clipped in on my TT aerobars! And I've practiced rollers enough to ride them with my head turned completely backwards (like looking for cars) for over 10 seconds, so I'm not terrible at them.

Same here with me on rollers.

I was thinking as I watched that, where are those rollers lol

I probably should find them and set them up
Quote Reply

Prev Next