Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining.
Quote | Reply
As usual,Lionel is being more honest about Lionel than most of his legion of fans.

Some awesome truth bombs in there and 2023 looks like it will be an entertaining one from the "Professional YouTuber" who dabbles in triathlon.

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to next season!

Curious if he will stay with Mikal or not. Doesn't necessarily seem like it unless they make some adjustments, but maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These videos always put a smile on my face, even when he is acting angry. (And is angry).

Lionel is the master of taking reality and exaggerating it - a crucial element of creating drama.

Realism & exaggeration also happen to be a part of Helitzer’s THREES formula for writing humorous content.

We are lucky to have people like Sanders, Iden and Long in the sport. If it were just LCBs and Ditlevs, I probably would not know that long course pro triathlon exists.

Also, nice touch from Talbot to show Kienle first (then Blummenfelt) when Lionel was talking about pros who believe in themselves and in how they do things.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Dec 27, 22 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel is like a drug, give me another hit of that motivation! How can't you love the guy?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [FeltMafia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FeltMafia wrote:
Looking forward to next season!

Curious if he will stay with Mikal or not. Doesn't necessarily seem like it unless they make some adjustments, but maybe?

He has said he is no longer working with Mikal and is self coaching again.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, after a while of following his swings between “doing his thing” and “listening to experts” you get a bit indifferent and more amused than excited.

Gotta learn to enjoy it however it takes to enjoy it though.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best part is how angry he is that torch has been passed from Jan. The GOAT triathlon influencer never disappoints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Well, after a while of following his swings between “doing his thing” and “listening to experts” you get a bit indifferent and more amused than excited.

Yeah, I don't understand positive reactions to this video. It's another flip flop of things he's already flip flopped on repeatedly. Coach vs no coach. Training hard vs racing hard. Training continuity, keeps throwing out everything vs tweaking and improving. Usage of training metrics.

Can't believe he shit on the Norwegians testing methodology. Their success and confidence comes from their ability to use science to train their bodies to output as much speed and power as possible while minimizing stress. They believe they can compete with anyone because the science objectively says they can which is further reinforced through victories in high stakes races.

I don't know shit about shit though, I just feel like these year end videos continue to be repetitive. They would be much better if they demonstrated growth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video

Good point Really enjoyed the video like all of them

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [dudeimthebagman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he shit on the training or simply say what works for someone else, may not work for himself? I think the NM also benefits from an in person coach overseeing all the testing and the ability to "see" the athlete; their emotions, their splits, that's invaluable compared to "online" training even if the same lactate testing protocols are used.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel = Entertainment

Unfortunately, he will not reach his potential because he lacks confidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [dudeimthebagman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dudeimthebagman wrote:
kajet wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand positive reactions to this video. It's another flip flop of things he's already flip flopped on repeatedly. Coach vs no coach. Training hard vs racing hard. Training continuity, keeps throwing out everything vs tweaking and improving. Usage of training metrics.

Can't believe he shit on the Norwegians testing methodology. Their success and confidence comes from their ability to use science to train their bodies to output as much speed and power as possible while minimizing stress. They believe they can compete with anyone because the science objectively says they can which is further reinforced through victories in high stakes races.

I don't know shit about shit though, I just feel like these year end videos continue to be repetitive. They would be much better if they demonstrated growth.

Bingo. It’s all repetitive and he’s a bloviating two trick pony, self loathing navel gazer or this latest video. But what else can be expected with Talbot as creative lead? The irony is that Sanders does care about the questions and criticism so he can tough talk and drop as many f bombs as he wants. It doesn’t hide his weaknesses. The out the feeble minded new media always has is that if you take them seriously or call them out for say, “shitting” on the Norwegian method, then they lamely say it was a joke, haha, entertainment.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t seen that, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dudeimthebagman wrote:
kajet wrote:

Well, in his N=1 experience, he tried it and had one of his worst years as a pro triathlete. What did you expect?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
dudeimthebagman wrote:
kajet wrote:

Bingo. It’s all repetitive and he’s a bloviating two trick pony, self loathing navel gazer or this latest video. But what else can be expected with Talbot as creative lead? The irony is that Sanders does care about the questions and criticism so he can tough talk and drop as many f bombs as he wants. It doesn’t hide his weaknesses. The out the feeble minded new media always has is that if you take them seriously or call them out for say, “shitting” on the Norwegian method, then they lamely say it was a joke, haha, entertainment.

Oh snap!, you got him.

And yet, here you are in a Sanders thread writing more than a couple of words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's merely the triathlon version of Donald Trump. Triathlon does have a short memory but his is even shorter dude can't make a change and stay with it more than 9 months to a year before completely implodes time and time again.

He wants to get back to where he was then I guess he needs to go back to training how he was with Gary Hutchinson. Something tells me Gary's not taking that call.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:

Well, in his N=1 experience, he tried it and had one of his worst years as a pro triathlete. What did you expect?

I don’t know if you can really say this is one of his worst seasons. Most of his races were against stacked fields and athletes that are simply better than him. He has typically raced 1 maybe 2 stacked races a year and we all know how those have gone. Just because he didn’t win as many races as he has in the past, doesn’t mean it wasn’t successful. Measuring yourself based on placements isn’t exactly objective.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
He's merely the triathlon version of Donald Trump. Triathlon does have a short memory but his is even shorter dude can't make a change and stay with it more than 9 months to a year before completely implodes time and time again.

He wants to get back to where he was then I guess he needs to go back to training how he was with Gary Hutchinson. Something tells me Gary's not taking that call.

It was almost 16 months, and to be fair his best results with Mikal were at the beginning when he just did a bunch of Ironmans. At the point MI took over, he was swimming as well as ever, and was racing pretty well over Chattanooga, and then Florida - arguably Florida being the only one that really had some of Mikal's training in there. But the concern to me was the swim - and the lack of intensity was not good for Lionel at all. I think he gave more than he ever has to follow the plan, trust it - and ultimately it didn't result in anything close to where Kristian and Gustav were. Because - the Norwegian Method isn't universally successful. Even Casper has really not progressed even though he was the first WTCS winner in 2018. So in reality - the Norwegian Method works for 2 Norwegians...

I think lots was learned about his system, what does and doesn't work for him (honest question - do you think the path he was on was showing improvement?) and I would think that 2023 will be a much more solid year for Mr. Sanders.

As far as comparing him to Donald Trump...I don't know - maybe it's just an ST shock jock attempt or something - doesn't really warrant any more of a response other than it probably shows how far my well thought argument will go with you...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Lionel is the master of taking reality and exaggerating it - a crucial element of creating drama.

Absolutely love this video from Lionel and Talbot, and you are spot on. The narrative, passion and emotion is what separates Lionel's videos from the rest on youtube, and that's a result of Lionel's online persona and Talbot's fantastic story telling, shots and editing.

Without this mix, what you get is what every other triathlete-youtuber puts out - simply following along with the plain monotony that is the life of a pro triathlete. "this morning for breakfast I am having...", "...just got back from a 4 hour ride, it was good.", "I'm excited for the next race and I hope I do well". Boring. The Lionel-Talbot combo tells the most interesting story in the most visually appealing way. This is why Lionel is the most popular, most subscribed triathlete youtuber, and despite what he considers an average season (2nd at St. George 70.3 WC but OK), we follow along and comment about it here more than any other pro.

Wish him all the best for 2023.

Dayoutsports.com.au| Australia's Newest Cycling and Tri Apparel Brand
Last edited by: PattoDayOut: Dec 27, 22 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

It was almost 16 months, and to be fair his best results with Mikal were at the beginning when he just did a bunch of Ironmans. At the point MI took over, he was swimming as well as ever, and was racing pretty well over Chattanooga, and then Florida - arguably Florida being the only one that really had some of Mikal's training in there. But the concern to me was the swim - and the lack of intensity was not good for Lionel at all. I think he gave more than he ever has to follow the plan, trust it - and ultimately it didn't result in anything close to where Kristian and Gustav were. Because - the Norwegian Method isn't universally successful. Even Casper has really not progressed even though he was the first WTCS winner in 2018. So in reality - the Norwegian Method works for 2 Norwegians...

I think lots was learned about his system, what does and doesn't work for him (honest question - do you think the path he was on was showing improvement?) and I would think that 2023 will be a much more solid year for Mr. Sanders.

As far as comparing him to Donald Trump...I don't know - maybe it's just an ST shock jock attempt or something - doesn't really warrant any more of a response other than it probably shows how far my well thought argument will go with you...

Maybe the better comparison is saying his fans are like Trump's fans not so much that he's like Trump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
dfru wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Maybe the better comparison is saying his fans are like Trump's fans not so much that he's like Trump.

Also debatable, but I do wouldn't mind some critical thinking on his year (I assume you are lumping me in with the Trump fans) but did you see him on a path to improvement this year?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Because - the Norwegian Method isn't universally successful. Even Casper has really not progressed even though he was the first WTCS winner in 2018. So in reality - the Norwegian Method works for 2 Norwegians...

I think it's more a result of using the same method for 10+ years. Iden and Blu have both said they've been doing enormous volume since they were teenagers. If you're able to handle that type of training load for that long of a time, there's likely to be some success.

Jakob ingebrigtsen has a similar background.

Jumping in and doing something for a year or year and a half and expecting the same results as those that have been doing it for a decade and a half is just folly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
dfru wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Please explain how me enjoying the content that Lionel puts out, and admiring him as an athlete, person, and business man, makes me the equivalent of a Trump-loving, MAGA piece of shit?

I sincerely cannot see the equivalency, other than you just really fucking hate Lionel. Every single Lionel thread you can't help yourself but come in here and whine. Every single one. I think it's YOU that's the problem, dude.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Dec 27, 22 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

Just because Lionel didn’t become world champion doesn’t mean the training wasn’t working. Not everyone was made to be a world champion or an Olympic gold medalist.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel is nothing if not seriously entertaining. [FeltMafia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FeltMafia wrote:
dfru wrote:

Because - the Norwegian Method isn't universally successful. Even Casper has really not progressed even though he was the first WTCS winner in 2018. So in reality - the Norwegian Method works for 2 Norwegians...

I think it's more a result of using the same method for 10+ years. Iden and Blu have both said they've been doing enormous volume since they were teenagers. If you're able to handle that type of training load for that long of a time, there's likely to be some success.

Jakob ingebrigtsen has a similar background.

Jumping in and doing something for a year or year and a half and expecting the same results as those that have been doing it for a decade and a half is just folly.

But...the other Norwegians in the program aren't having success to the same levels either. And Casper, and I believe Lotte Miller, have been with them most of the time too. It's...two EXCEPTIONAL humans - same with Ingebrigtsen...right? So yes, there's some to it - but just saying it's enormous volume also negates the "Norwegian Method" to some extent. The work that the Norwegians are doing is AMAZING - but previous to this the best ITU group with Joel Filliol, who doesn't use hardly any of the scientific stuff with his athletes and they had arguably a much deeper group of athletes.

And they haven't been using the same method for all that time - they are consistently changing things and trying to manipulate the body to get results over all distances, and it's amazing, but even then, it's looking like KB is going to be the one that will go from sprint to Ironman and Gustav is going to be a little more specialized. But the other Norwegians aren't blowing the world away (and NO women having success, which is really interesting), so it's hard to say the Norwegian method works more than Olav Aleksander has figured out how to keep his two high end sportscars running incredibly well and successfully.

Quote Reply

Prev Next