Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Choo swim joke [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
klehner wrote:

These WTC down river swims are a joke. May as well make the bike 100 miles and call it 112 miles and cut the run to 20 miles and call it 26. It is the same effect.

I totally agree. A friend of mine did 1:25 at Whistler and :55 today at Choo. He may have improved but that's crazy.

His bike time and another friend's splits today are way faster than they've done in the past. I thought this was a hilly course but maybe not or maybe there is a tailwind. I'm sure there is a lot of drafting with the congestion due to the swim.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
I think some of the distain is that you have a huge majority of people coming out of the water at the exact same time. If you were at the bike out today it was a freaking joke.

I think that has more to do with the first-come, first-serve swim line. The slower people got there early and got in line first so the race bunched up as faster swimmers caught the slower swimmers, rather than the race spreading out like it would with a mass start. So everyone gets to T1 at the same time.

I don't think so. At least for the slower swimmers who wore the wetsuits, they had to start last, at the back of the line.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [BionicMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BionicMan wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
klehner wrote:

These WTC down river swims are a joke. May as well make the bike 100 miles and call it 112 miles and cut the run to 20 miles and call it 26. It is the same effect.

I totally agree. A friend of mine did 1:25 at Whistler and :55 today at Choo. He may have improved but that's crazy.

His bike time and another friend's splits today are way faster than they've done in the past. I thought this was a hilly course but maybe not or maybe there is a tailwind. I'm sure there is a lot of drafting with the congestion due to the swim.

Huge current-assisted swim. I don't think the bike course that hilly. The part Kristi and I rode yesterday, we were just noodling along and still had a decent pace going.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
I don't understand the disdain. As long as you are not comparing times to other lake or ocean swims events what's the problem. Everyone still has to cover the distance. The fast guys are faster, the low guys are less slow by a bit.

No, allow me to have plenty of disdain. I'd also have disdain if the run course was 20 miles and they claimed that the run course was a marathon. I would not care at all if it was a non standard distance like Alpe d'Huez tri, but if we're going to claim standard distance, then do the full effort. If I was there, and clocked a 40 something swim, I'd be pissed off that I paid for an IM and did not get to do the full swim. I'm not really that concerned about racing other people and more concerned with racing against myself, and for that, I prefer we get full distance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't think so. At least for the slower swimmers who wore the wetsuits, they had to start last, at the back of the line.

True, but with the line you could have a 1:10, 1:05 and 1 hour swimmer all come out together because of where they lined up. Plus, it looks like the current made for smaller gaps in swim times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC is a better PR machine than USAT though...With USAT you get an upriver swim at nationals that turns a 1500 into a mile and a half...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [jager66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
besides, they needed to be fresh for the tacks and oil...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/sep/28/chattanooga-ironman-bike-course-sabotaged-tacks-an/

Last edited by: jager66: Sep 28, 14 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, allow me to have plenty of disdain. I'd also have disdain if the run course was 20 miles and they claimed that the run course was a marathon. I would not care at all if it was a non standard distance like Alpe d'Huez tri, but if we're going to claim standard distance, then do the full effort. If I was there, and clocked a 40 something swim, I'd be pissed off that I paid for an IM and did not get to do the full swim. I'm not really that concerned about racing other people and more concerned with racing against myself, and for that, I prefer we get full distance.

I agree with you, but judging by the comments on the FB page those of us who want it to be legit are in the minority. Most people seem to want the swim to be ridiculously easy, which makes me wonder why duathlons aren't more popular.

But every race is different. Some have easy bike courses. Some have easy run courses. This race has an easy swim. I was supposed to do this race but have a back injury. I got to ride the course once and thought the bike course was a fair course - not really tough, but not easy either. The run is going to be tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Some bike courses are 30-40min faster as well.
There are IM races with downhill, point-to-point bike courses? Because that is what would be analogous to a down-current point-to-point IM swim.
Where is that race??? I'll be signing up today! :-)

me too!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I agree with you, but judging by the comments on the FB page those of us who want it to be legit are in the minority. Most people seem to want the swim to be ridiculously easy, which makes me wonder why duathlons aren't more popular.

Duathlons are not more popular because it doesn't have the tattoo and you can't say "I'm an ironman!"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Duathlons are not more popular because it doesn't have the tattoo and you can't say "I'm an ironman!"

Unfortunately, you may be correct.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I just looked at one age group, saw Bruce Gennari did a 39:40 in the swim, and stopped looking.

What is the point of the swim, again?
I find it odd that you picked Bruce to form your opinion on the swim considering that he's been 1st out of the water in Kona and also in IM FLA.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...uce_Gennari_230.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, you may be correct.
and there is no Kona for duathlons. If you say you did an ironman people will instantly know what that is because of the television coverage.

If you say duathlon, most people in the USA will think of that Nordic sport where you ski and then shoot at targets with a gun ;-)

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Last edited by: Fred D: Sep 28, 14 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
klehner wrote:

To make people feel good about themselves. :-)

When the gap between 2nd and 5th in an ag is 10 minutes.... it matters a lot. So do transition times.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [GAscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GAscott wrote:
klehner wrote:
I just looked at one age group, saw Bruce Gennari did a 39:40 in the swim, and stopped looking.

I find it odd that you picked Bruce to form your opinion on the swim considering that he's been 1st out of the water in Kona and also in IM FLA.

I think that might be his point. A good swimmer such as Bruce would much prefer a tough swim to differentiate.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [GAscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GAscott wrote:
klehner wrote:

It is not odd: I was looking to see how a friend was doing; said friend happens to be in the same age group as Bruce. I know how fast Bruce is. I also know that a sub-40 IM swim is not in his quiver.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
I don't understand the disdain. As long as you are not comparing times to other lake or ocean swims events what's the problem. Everyone still has to cover the distance. The fast guys are faster, the low guys are less slow by a bit.

But that's the point...they aren't covering the distance. The swim is significantly shorter than 2.4 miles. If the marathon was done on a 26.2 mile moving belt like in an airport, would you think that was ok?

Spot

Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
BigMikeGA wrote:

x2. I won't be doing this particular race if you aren't in fact covering the full distance.

Spot

Quote | Reply
This is the next step in the WTC's swim safe program, which will eventually lead to eliminating the swim altogether (ya know, in the name of safety).

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
BigMikeGA wrote:

x2. I won't be doing this particular race if you aren't in fact covering the full distance.

Spot

Definitely won't do this and will discourage others from doing it until WTC makes it out and back, or at least 1/3 out and 2/3 back so that the normal swim spread at T2 happens. I already heard of 90 min swimmers coming out in 54, only 14 min behind Bruce Gennari. That's ridiculous. Guys like Bruce deserve their 40ish min spread on the 90 min folks. The draft fest out of T1 would not be fun, but I think it was a rolling start so that should help somewhat.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 28, 14 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Plus you have all the people who were freaking out about not being able to wear their wetsuits. Actually, freaking out about most every single thing about the race. It's like everyone wants to be spoonfed.

Holy shit this! The unending bitching & moaning from people about this race was painful. Add in the reports of tacks & oil being thrown on the bike course, and the bitching will seemingly never end!

I thought it was called Ironman, not Bitchingman!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
This is the next step in the WTC's swim safe program, which will eventually lead to eliminating the swim altogether (ya know, in the name of safety).

Or you can't swim unless you have raced in a WTC-approved swim course ($150.00 for a 2 mile swim plus $68.99 for Active.com)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And now it's raining! Well, heavy misting.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can hear it now "Fuck the weatherman!"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Or you can't swim unless you have raced in a WTC-approved swim course ($150.00 for a 2 mile swim plus $68.99 for Active.com)

I actually approve of this measure. Not much different than having to validate if you win a spot to Kona via the lottery.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next