Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Choo swim joke
Quote | Reply
I just looked at one age group, saw Bruce Gennari did a 39:40 in the swim, and stopped looking.

What is the point of the swim, again?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The little swimmer graphic looks cool on finisher hats, shirts and medals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

To make people feel good about themselves. :-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
klehner wrote:

To get to the bike! :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well they do get those extra 4 miles on the bike to make up for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I just looked at one age group, saw Bruce Gennari did a 39:40 in the swim, and stopped looking.

Hey, leave Bruce out of this!

Edit: Just wanted to say that.
Last edited by: Staz: Sep 28, 14 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
ironclm wrote:
klehner wrote:

To get to the bike! :)

x2.

It's all about the run anyway......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All joking aside the swim course at a race is so dependent on what is available, if there is a crazy fast current like IM Louisville or the one and done IMNYC so be it. Some bike courses are 30-40min faster as well.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend at the race said that during the race briefing, they had people jump in and float downriver in 2:30.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

It gives us good swimmers/bad runners our moment of glory running in to an empty T1 like we own the joint.

I did my first IM this summer and maybe it was just the adrenaline of the start of the race, but I really felt like the swim was way too short. 3.8k goes by pretty damn quickly. 5k/100-110 mile bike/marathon would be awesome.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
A friend at the race said that during the race briefing, they had people jump in and float downriver in 2:30.

All part of WTC's 16:45 or bust plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
All joking aside the swim course at a race is so dependent on what is available, if there is a crazy fast current like IM Louisville or the one and done IMNYC so be it. Some bike courses are 30-40min faster as well.

At least Louisville challenged you with about a 1/3 of the leg being upstream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

These WTC down river swims are a joke. May as well make the bike 100 miles and call it 112 miles and cut the run to 20 miles and call it 26. It is the same effect.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
klehner wrote:

These WTC down river swims are a joke. May as well make the bike 100 miles and call it 112 miles and cut the run to 20 miles and call it 26. It is the same effect.

Agreed. Haven't looked up the current and crunched the numbers, but I would bet that folks swam something less than 2 miles based on the times.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I find it equally as 'funny' that the rd came on here saying that TVA was on board and that he planned to minimize the flow of the river on race day.

huh, uh...about that.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the thing is they could have shut down the locks more at the dam. At the Olympic distance race in June there was not that big of a current and it's the same exact swim course, just starting further up river today (same finish).

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the disdain. As long as you are not comparing times to other lake or ocean swims events what's the problem. Everyone still has to cover the distance. The fast guys are faster, the low guys are less slow by a bit.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
The little swimmer graphic looks cool on finisher hats, shirts and medals.

I quite literally looked for the "like" button.

These days though the purpose of my swim is to ensure the roads are clear of cyclists before I start riding.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
I don't understand the disdain. As long as you are not comparing times to other lake or ocean swims events what's the problem. Everyone still has to cover the distance. The fast guys are faster, the low guys are less slow by a bit.

I think some of the distain is that you have a huge majority of people coming out of the water at the exact same time. If you were at the bike out today it was a freaking joke. Means there will be extensive drafting along the entire bike course. This is not triathlon as the founders meant it to be.

Plus you have all the people who were freaking out about not being able to wear their wetsuits. Actually, freaking out about most every single thing about the race. It's like everyone wants to be spoonfed.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:

I pretty much agree. The standard distance course (Unlike Ultraman fore example) does lend itself to comparisons though, even if they're not valid.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Some bike courses are 30-40min faster as well.
There are IM races with downhill, point-to-point bike courses? Because that is what would be analogous to a down-current point-to-point IM swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Some bike courses are 30-40min faster as well.
There are IM races with downhill, point-to-point bike courses? Because that is what would be analogous to a down-current point-to-point IM swim.

Where is that race??? I'll be signing up today! :-)

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing some pretty impressive times with people I know. Huge improvements on BOP racers I know. What gives?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

At least Louisville challenged you with about a 1/3 of the leg being upstream.
Louisville times were pretty smoking as well. Not like this, but fast.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Choo swim joke [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think some of the distain is that you have a huge majority of people coming out of the water at the exact same time. If you were at the bike out today it was a freaking joke.

I think that has more to do with the first-come, first-serve swim line. The slower people got there early and got in line first so the race bunched up as faster swimmers caught the slower swimmers, rather than the race spreading out like it would with a mass start. So everyone gets to T1 at the same time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next