Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This whole thing is really strange.

The strangest part of all of it is that she's still listed as having finished IMKY in ~ 12:08 in 2012, which is totally inconsistent with her other results where's she's regularly been around 7 hours for a half and 14:40+ for a full. Does anyone have any idea how significant it is that she's now listed as a "DQ" rather than a "DNF" for IM Boulder?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know who you're talking about and, FYI, neither athlete nor "pacer" are on the Team. They're wearing kits/items from the retail line, and FWIW I deeply regret that they reflected poorly on the Team itself (and that you have negative associations with it as well). I will have words with them.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [WattsUpKarin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, you should give them a phone call. tell them to stop wearing your retail line of gear.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously? There are two sides of the fence at the finishing chute, you walk down the one without the clock over it. There are the same volunteers and race timers standing right there. I've had to do it, it sucks but it did not take much problem solving skill on my part. Even the spectator will move out of your way because usually you look sweaty and pissed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An example of a quick buck biting you in the but.

Most teams don't sell their Team line of clothing for exactly these reasons.

pattersonpaul wrote:
yes, you should give them a phone call. tell them to stop wearing your retail line of gear.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
sylvan wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
There are lots of reasons to DNF....none require going through the chute.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she DQ'd herself, but she should have just stepped off the course and turned in her chip.
Sometimes they don't know what else to do to give back their chip or whatever they're thinking, but it can be an innocent rookie maneuver. Not sure that's the case here. It's not a DNF in the results now, it's a DQ.

Sylvan,

I appreciate your level-headed but no nonsense approach here. That said...she's done this before - Ironman Louisville 2012 for instance.

Why did you link to a thread that consists of people calling you a creeper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here she is slapping hands down the finish with a little double fist pump at the end

Doesn't everybody do this, regardless of the situation? I mean, just the other day I was high fiving and fist bumping random strangers at the grocery store because I picked an egg carton without any cracked shells.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
gregn wrote:
sylvan wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she DQ'd herself, but she should have just stepped off the course and turned in her chip.
Sometimes they don't know what else to do to give back their chip or whatever they're thinking, but it can be an innocent rookie maneuver. Not sure that's the case here. It's not a DNF in the results now, it's a DQ.

Sylvan,

I appreciate your level-headed but no nonsense approach here. That said...she's done this before - Ironman Louisville 2012 for instance.

Going to take a shot and this one and say some sort of vindication. It's now quite apparent that this woman is more than willing to go out of her way, as in all the way to Hawaii, to experience the thrills that IM racing provides without having to do the dirty work.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Here she is slapping hands down the finish with a little double fist pump at the end

Doesn't everybody do this, regardless of the situation? I mean, just the other day I was high fiving and fist bumping random strangers at the grocery store because I picked an egg carton without any cracked shells.

Come on man, when is the last time a carton actually had cracks? Stupid GMO'd bombproof shells. I'd still high five you though.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The leaders #1-3 get paced by bikers, how is that different? DQ the 1-3 OA male/females then as they have bikes pacing them. The athletes can only do what they can do at that stage of the run anyhow. They either hang on a a pace they can or can't hold onto. I've had lead bikers on run in front of me & they'd have to either slow up or go faster depending on what it was I could run at for a pace. Same rule should apply to those even back in the pack as front of the pack.

You'd think the timing check points/mats would prove if she had splits for all segments of the run. Something like this should be easy to identify via Sportstats unless she gave a chip to someone else only to return it back to her on a non-closed pathway. That would take some doing it seems to coordinate & not get caught without witnesses.
What is the other side of the story--? Can she be questioned on the accusations or so it seems--there should be two sides to every story. I don't know either but, seems to me a camera at one of the turn arounds should be used at races as well as timing mats. Visual & data proof. Nobody will cut a course again & get away with it. Have a light for the night time runners at the turn around for positive ID.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Craig P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig P wrote:
Seriously? There are two sides of the fence at the finishing chute, you walk down the one without the clock over it. There are the same volunteers and race timers standing right there.
I'm in one of the two tents closest to the finish line. The other is sound/announcer. Everybody in those two tents knows exactly what to do with a returned timing chip so just toss it at us if you can't get anybody's attention. Why is the subject of the thread a DQ instead of a DNF now? Partly because of this thread. By default anybody who finishes the race with any indication that they didn't complete the whole course is going to be a DQ. It's not easy to chase somebody down and find out their motivation for not doing the whole course. DQ is not "cheater" but it does include cheaters. There's not really enough time during the race to focus on a single person and figure out their motivation and the easiest thing to do is just DQ them. You have to do something immediately so they don't end up in the awards. Sometimes they email after the race and it was an honest mistake and they just wanted to DNF but didn't know what to do. The Ironman results delete all the results and splits for DQ's but only the finish times for DNF's so if it's somebody who plausibly honestly made a mistake we can change them to a DNF post-race. This one was weird - she crossed the southeast timing wire for the first time normally at 3:19 pm, then weirdly crossed it again 15 minutes later, then finished the first lap normally, then finished the race which was not normal. It should have been a DQ immediately but I gave her the benefit of any doubt and just deleted the finish time and made it a DNF.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

The strangest part of all of it is that she's still listed as having finished IMKY in ~ 12:08 in 2012, which is totally inconsistent with her other results where's she's regularly been around 7 hours for a half and 14:40+ for a full. Does anyone have any idea how significant it is that she's now listed as a "DQ" rather than a "DNF" for IM Boulder?

This is the thing I am confused about as well, clearly she cheated in 2012 and got away with it...unless you believe that she can run as fast as the pro men off of a 7:15 bike.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
aravilare wrote:
gregn wrote:
sylvan wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Sylvan,

Going to take a shot and this one and say some sort of vindication. It's now quite apparent that this woman is more than willing to go out of her way, as in all the way to Hawaii, to experience the thrills that IM racing provides without having to do the dirty work.

Maybe she is a cheater, but she's also not obsessed with the same person from almost three years ago. More than a little weird to randomly (or not so randomly) stumble onto this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, she doesn't have a USAT score for Louisville in 2012...so at least she didn't get points for the cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
aravilare wrote:
gregn wrote:
sylvan wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Sylvan,

Maybe she is a cheater, but she's also not obsessed with the same person from almost three years ago. More than a little weird to randomly (or not so randomly) stumble onto this thread.

First, and I know you didn't say I did, but I am not calling her a cheater, at least at this point. IDK, if I made that 2012 post and saw this OP before Slowman changed it, I would hope the lightbulb would go off based on the name or face. I am giving the 2012 poster the benefit of doubt that they aren't calling out that many people.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is why I love Slowtwitch. Marvelously entertaining!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

Look at the pdf results for Louisville in 2012. It lists a DQ.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
Everybody who posts here at least semi-irregularly is weird in some way, so we shouldn't judge. Even though the judging and the follow up is popcorn-worthy at times.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you mean to reply to me? There are no "quick bucks" being made when you open a factory, design and manufacture your own wares, and employ people. No Team-issue kits are being sold to people outside the Team.

As I said, the athlete in question was wearing a stock kit available to purchase online by any member of the public, not a Team kit. Many, many, many Teams are also Brands that sell in a retail capacity. I can rattle off at maybe 5 brands with teams in triathlon alone, so I'm not sure why anyone would make a blanket statement like this.
Last edited by: WattsUpKarin: Aug 3, 15 21:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robertl wrote:

Who runs down the finish chute fully knowing they didn't complete the distance?

me.. i have only ever done 2 different IMs, Cuba and Cozumel. I did Coz i think 3 or 4 times and PR'd each and every time. last year I quit after the 2nd lap of the run and went direct the the med tent. easiest way to get there and only way my brain could figure it was right through the finish. got my medal placed around my neck and chip removed in the med tent. at that point i didn't really care. told the docs i had done only 2 laps of the run but family was going gaga thinking I'd KQd (from teh tracker). I was totally out of it and took on 3 L of fluid and clueless as to what the times or placing was being reported. i posted here something about the event and Sylvan was very kind in changing my DQ to a DNF.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Aug 4, 15 1:47
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
lutzman wrote:
Everybody who posts here at least semi-irregularly is weird in some way, so we shouldn't judge.

Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa... I post here regularly and I am a lot of things like fat, stupid, ugly, hairy, lazy, impotent but...

I've completely lost my train of thought here.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does USAT list all the races or just the top 3 that your ranking is based on?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
Does USAT list all the races or just the top 3 that your ranking is based on?
During the season, they list all of them. But only the top 3 are used for the ranking.
The data base now allows you to go back and see all the races, and scores, you have done in the past.
Very cool.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently DNFed at the June Lake Tri. I got through 10k of the run and felt miserable, so I cut out before loop 2 and headed toward the finish area. The only path to the finish area was along the course, but when I was about 30 yards from the finish line with my chip in my hand, I started veering out of the finish "chute" which was just a coned-off section leading to the finish line. All the volunteers were cheering for me and telling me to get back on the course. I was telling them "No, I dropped out. I just want to turn in my chip." They kept telling me to stay on the course. So, I sauntered to the finish line and they were cheering for me and trying to put a medal around my neck. I told them to keep the medal since I didn't finish the course.
The point is, when you're quitting the race and the easiest route is down the finish chute, people are high-fiving you, cheering for you, etc. you tend to want to reciprocate, so they don't think you're a douche, even if you know you are just going to turn in your chip.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Aug 5, 15 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
The point is, when you're quitting the race and the easiest route is down the finish chute, people are high-fiving you, cheering for you, etc. you tend to want to reciprocate, so they don't think you're a douche, even if you know you are just going to turn in your chip.

I did a swim bike race this year, and the time you enter T2 is your finish time but they still have you go through the finish chute. People get all excited since they think you won despite the fact you're moving at a slow jog. It was a little awkward but it was how they distribute the finisher's hat plus I wanted my chocolate milk!
Quote Reply

Prev Next