Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Boulder CHEATER
Quote | Reply
Was watching online today waiting for a friend to cross. I was checking female bib numbers and looking them up as they cross just to see if they were in the same AG. Well this girl crosses at around ---. I looked her up and see she ran the last half of the marathon like superman er superwoman

Who runs down the finish chute fully knowing they didn't complete the distance?

I just happened across this by chance and make me wonder how often it really happens. Just disgusting that there are people that do this.

Here she is slapping hands down the finish with a little double fist pump at the end

[moderator edited this post]
Last edited by: Slowman: Aug 3, 15 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing she told somebody that she didn't actually finish because the results now have her as DNF?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy there killer.
Confused and cheating are two different things.
Give them a chance to right their wrong (Which it appears has been done)

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that is a bit of an over reaction. It's a two loop course and she bailed on the second loop for what could be 100 reasons but didn't want to do the walk of shame down the chute. She DNF'd so it's not like she claimed a podium or Kona slot.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no killer! But WTF high fives people down the chute when they know they didn't do the distance. Tell me one person that's confused 26.2 for 13.1. It doesn't happen. If you give up fine but why run dos the chute high fives get and throw a fist pump at the finish?

I think it's bullshit and people like this should be put on blast. I bet it happens more than you think. Who checks every finisher? Ironman? Maybe if it's for a kona slot but other than that I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax, she did the last 13.1 on an elliptical.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe she was told on lap one her sister just had a baby and she went in to give her chip to the finish volunteer so that she could get to the hospital? I'd be high-5'ing as well with that news. I can come up with all kinds of plausible scenarios but you on the other hand are a shoot first ask questions later type of guy.

What makes it worse is you try to do a public shaming via ST (and who knows wherever else) without any clue as to the behind the scenes for the action. Jump to conclusions much?

Haters gonna hate.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a hater

That's some funny shit

Call out a cheater and I'm a hater lol. Gotta love the interwebs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of reasons to DNF....none require going through the chute.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she DQ'd herself, but she should have just stepped off the course and turned in her chip.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Aug 3, 15 0:03
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she DQ'd herself, but she should have just stepped off the course and turned in her chip.
Sometimes they don't know what else to do to give back their chip or whatever they're thinking, but it can be an innocent rookie maneuver. Not sure that's the case here. It's not a DNF in the results now, it's a DQ.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I DNF'd after half the marathon at IM Lazarote once and the easiest way to get off the course and return the chip was to go through the finish as the process is set up to take your chip etc. when I've just stepped off the course at other races it's been a real PITA to find someone to tell and hand my chip too.

As for taking the high fives, why not? she's done a fair bit of exercise and would look a bit miserable ignoring all the excited people in the finish chute, or she could stop and explain the situation to each of them?

Move along, nothing to see here.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You drop, you don't run down the finish chute. It's just lame.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Sometimes they don't know what else to do to give back their chip or whatever they're thinking, but it can be an innocent rookie maneuver. Not sure that's the case here. It's not a DNF in the results now, it's a DQ.

Sylvan,

I appreciate your level-headed but no nonsense approach here. That said...she's done this before - Ironman Louisville 2012 for instance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IM Chattanooga last year I was watching the finish line and this guy came running down the hill to it, got to the bottom where he could see the finish line, stopped and goes, "crap" and turned around and started going back up the hill. I felt a little sorry for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Relax, she did the last 13.1 on an elliptical.

Think of the fat kids, you bastard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of cheating I saw a ton of pacing on the run course ( I was spectating). One athlete had a pacer with her for so long that I looked her up. She got 2nd in her age group. Not cool. I'm not sure about the whole public shaming thing so I won't out her yet but she was wearing the colorful kit of a well known and not always well liked team.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

i DNF'ed an iron distance race by going down the shoot and handing my timing chip to the race director (seemed as if he was the race director). it was 2 laps. i didn't want to miss dinner reservations with friends and family (oh god, i'm going to get flamed for that).

i wasn't high fiving folks etc. but take it easy there killa. calling her out on ST? lol

john
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
In terms of cheating I saw a ton of pacing on the run course ( I was spectating). One athlete had a pacer with her for so long that I looked her up. She got 2nd in her age group. Not cool. I'm not sure about the whole public shaming thing so I won't out her yet but she was wearing the colorful kit of a well known and not always well liked team.

Well, well....now this is getting juicy

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:

That is likely a KQ slot and grounds for a DQ, but you will have a hard time proving that to the officials after the fact. The third place woman should be really upset.

As for the main story on this thread if it was done in Louisville before that is telling. I can see no reason to run down the chute after giving up after 13 miles. Step off the course, meander through the crowd and report your DNF to the officials. There is NO WAY you can confuse 13.1 miles for 26.2. There are markers every mile. You can't suddenly be running on miles 8 through 10 and start counting mile 24 at mile 11. It just does not work that way no matter how tired you are. If she did this in Louisville, she should be banned from IM racing. At least finman intended to do the entire course while using fins. This is a lot worse.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I DNF'd after half the marathon at IM Lazarote once and the easiest way to get off the course and return the chip was to go through the finish as the process is set up to take your chip etc. when I've just stepped off the course at other races it's been a real PITA to find someone to tell and hand my chip too.
----------
I agree with this. Between my wife and I we've had a few issues with chip returns, the system is not set up to deal with this....and this goes for IM events too.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At Alcatraz this year, I was in the final 1/2 mile of the run and and started to sprint to the end. I was eyeing the people ahead of me to see who I could pick off. When I hit the grass just before the chute, I spotted a woman in yoga pants. She was looking very fresh with her hair pulled back. Her pants were cut just below the knee and I could see not any body marking. She had "workout" clothes on, but not a tri suit. I'm pretty sure she jumped onto the course right around that point and sprinted into the finishing chute. I can't prove it, and when I crossed the finish line, I didn't think to look for her. I guess she just wanted to cross the finish line. Kind of weird.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't like the original post. i did some editing. i'm not sure this lady isn't just taking the most obvious route to the DNF "table." i don't see any double fist pump. i just see a mild reaction to what are certainly people cheering her.

but i am concerned to the "she's done this before" comment. first, are you dead certain it's the same woman? if so, i think the question is whether she DQd herself in each case. if so, then it's either she need to be told to avoid the finish chute, or IM needs a better process for those who want to DQ themselves.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
I agree with this. Between my wife and I we've had a few issues with chip returns, the system is not set up to deal with this....and this goes for IM events too.

It is almost as if races aren't set up to accept voluntary DNFs. I crashed my bike 18 miles in at Challenge Knoxville this year. I was mostly OK but couldn't ride hard, so I just slow-rolled my bike along the entire course, thinking maybe I could still walk/run it in. I got to T2, covered in blood and mud, made an attempt at running and realized 200 meters in that this was a bad idea. So I walked back into T2 and tried to hand in my chip. Took a good 10 minutes of asking various volunteers before someone said he would take my chip and radioed in to the timing guys that I was DNFing. Weird.

Regarding the "cheater" in the OP - The only thing she "stole" was "valor" perhaps. Did she take a finisher's medal/hat/shirt? Maybe she "stole" that too. But since it was obvious from the results that she was a DNF (or a DQ?) then she didn't actually get a "finish" time. So yea her great crime really was taking high-fives from the finish chute people and maybe an unearned medal. If you want a medal that badly, I am sure they will just give one to you. It isn't like she stole a Kona slot, or even a podium spot, or listed as an official finisher.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
sylvan wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Sylvan,

I appreciate your level-headed but no nonsense approach here. That said...she's done this before - Ironman Louisville 2012 for instance.

Proof?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you click the link?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next