Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Did you click the link?

Yeah. What's the method of verification? Tracking down bib numbers and comparing photos? Way more effort than I'm going to put into it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Did you click the link?

Yep, which told me nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A simple cross referenced look at the results tells a lot.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
sylvan wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
There are lots of reasons to DNF....none require going through the chute.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she DQ'd herself, but she should have just stepped off the course and turned in her chip.
Sometimes they don't know what else to do to give back their chip or whatever they're thinking, but it can be an innocent rookie maneuver. Not sure that's the case here. It's not a DNF in the results now, it's a DQ.

Sylvan,

I appreciate your level-headed but no nonsense approach here. That said...she's done this before - Ironman Louisville 2012 for instance.

Yep same gal
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I appreciate the approach you take in cases like this and would not have posted if I were not bordering right up on 100% certain it would eventually pass muster with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the thing to do is to have sportstats check and see whether she went up and DQd herself. if so, then i suspect it's the difficulty in getting to the appropriate area for that other than going thru the finish chute.

if she didn't, and she intended to pass herself off as a finisher, that's different.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She didn't DQ herself in 2012. Results show a finish. I'm not going to post any more links or photos because I assume you don't want that after you edited the first post but it's there if you want to look it up.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
In terms of cheating I saw a ton of pacing on the run course ( I was spectating). One athlete had a pacer with her for so long that I looked her up. She got 2nd in her age group. Not cool. I'm not sure about the whole public shaming thing so I won't out her yet but she was wearing the colorful kit of a well known and not always well liked team.

This bothers me much more than someone DNFing in a manner that is not becoming. Need some more detail on this one.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
In terms of cheating I saw a ton of pacing on the run course ( I was spectating). One athlete had a pacer with her for so long that I looked her up. She got 2nd in her age group. Not cool. I'm not sure about the whole public shaming thing so I won't out her yet but she was wearing the colorful kit of a well known and not always well liked team.
In a case like this how do you tell who is pacing who? I don't run a lot but I don't understand the value of a pacer. If you have a watch that is providing your pace how does a running pacer help? Extra motivation? There's little to no value in biking so why is it different for runners?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little sleuthing shows me she raced Kona last year. And that she got a lottery slot from the Big Island.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in the Slowtwitch Facebook photos of the run course are at least two pictures of people being paced. Did not seem to be trying to hide it at all.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No pro field, perhaps people thought they could get away with more stuff. Was there an equatable number of course marshals compared to when there is a pro field?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
Gary Mc wrote:

This bothers me much more than someone DNFing in a manner that is not becoming. Need some more detail on this one.

I was standing just past the run out on Boulder Creek Trail. I saw a lot of incidences of pacing but most were slower racers with family members jogging along for a few seconds.
In this case, the athlete was moving very well and heading west to the shorter out and back. A guy in the same team kit was with her with no bib or chip. When they came back by (3.5 miles later) they were still together as she went out for her 2nd lap. It was quite blantant, so much so that I looked her up. At that point she was in 4th place. I checked the tracker later and saw that she ran her way into 2nd.
As was pointed out, I dont have video proof, so I didn't bother reporting it to an official, but it was cheating and they know full well what they were doing.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
No pro field, perhaps people thought they could get away with more stuff. Was there an equatable number of course marshals compared to when there is a pro field?

I did not see any course marshals on the run and I saw the lead 3 male and female racers pass me 3 times.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Last edited by: Gary Mc: Aug 3, 15 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
There are lots of reasons to DNF....none require going through the chute.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she DQ'd herself, but she should have just stepped off the course and turned in her chip.

Not saying this was the case at Boulder, but I DNF'd IM St. George. Missed the bike cutoff (that horrible, windy miserable year). There were a ton of us who missed it. They told us we could wait for a shuttle or just follow the course back 5 miles to the finish. As we rode back into town, I fully intended to bail off the course but there were barricades everywhere and it was impossible without climbing over them. We all ended up having to do the 'ride of shame' down the bike finish chute.

I just kept my head down. It was pretty awkward as the crowd was cheering like crazy. I wanted a sign to say 'thanks but I'm not actually finishing.'
Last edited by: Elsa: Aug 3, 15 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like the athlete in question moved to Hawaii just to get into the locals lottery, went to Kona last year with a lottery entry.. doesn't make much sense to cheat this year..

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/...4-big-island-winners

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't like the original post. i did some editing. i'm not sure this lady isn't just taking the most obvious route to the DNF "table." i don't see any double fist pump. i just see a mild reaction to what are certainly people cheering her.

but i am concerned to the "she's done this before" comment. first, are you dead certain it's the same woman? if so, i think the question is whether she DQd herself in each case. if so, then it's either she need to be told to avoid the finish chute, or IM needs a better process for those who want to DQ themselves.

All of this seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quickly tried to figure out who/which team, but I failed on the twitch hunt today. Whoever it was, I hope that Karma keeps track.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not everyone cheats so that they can get into Kona. Two of the most infamous cheaters on ST, Finnman and T-3, didn't do it for the glory of Kona. If this woman wanted to cheated herself to a Kona slot, she would have done so that she crossed the finish line faster than 11:42. That time won't get her a slot in the F45-49 AG. Perhaps this was her validation IM race to be able to race Kona. If that is the case then all she needed to do was to cross the finish line faster than 17:00.

doug in co wrote:
looks like the athlete in question moved to Hawaii just to get into the locals lottery, went to Kona last year with a lottery entry.. doesn't make much sense to cheat this year..

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/...4-big-island-winners

Quote | Reply
I was spectating very near the 13 mile point of the run. I saw one of the top females getting paced by her coach and he was basically whispering into her ear for about 20 seconds as I saw them run by. The guy next to me start yelling, "Don't get her DQ'd! Don't get her DQ'd!" and I yelled that once myself. He peeled off and started walking back to where he was watching and said to us, "It was only 10 meters!"

It was not a long way, but it was definitely more than 10 meters, and I do not think there is a minimum amount of pacing in the rules before it is a DQ. And she was only 20 yards from an aid station where there were all sorts of officials around.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there was rampant pacing on the bike course - the majority of it was family members trotting / walking/ riding along with a struggling racer which violating the letter of the law, but didn't offend me on the 'spirit'. The problem was with the narrow bike path, the wobbling bikers, meandering toddlers , and skateboarders (! WTF!? ) turned made an already crowded course into a hazardous situation.

The issue of AG / Overall leaders pacing is a big deal and should be assessed / reported.

More course marshals on the run would help solve both problems - but the fact that the Creek Path can't be closed means this will be an issue every time...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great work sleuthing! I love when the the twitchunt police nab somebody. Based on prior performance (cough cough Louisville 2012 cough cough) its pretty clear she like to play it fast & loose. I'm sure she biked 7:15 just to save her legs for that blazing 3:04 marathon!

gregn wrote:
Dan,

I appreciate the approach you take in cases like this and would not have posted if I were not bordering right up on 100% certain it would eventually pass muster with you.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope...she used that lottery entry to finish Kona in 2014. Her results are on Athlinks. I'm just waiting for someone to ID her team.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
I quickly tried to figure out who/which team, but I failed on the twitch hunt today. Whoever it was, I hope that Karma keeps track.

Well, she took the slot. So far Karma has not caught up with her.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder CHEATER [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stopped in CDA this year because of the heat. Stopped after 70 miles, just turned left into T2 instead of heading back out on HWY95. It was just too hot and I knew the hills were going to kill me second time around. I took my chip off and handed it to the volunteer who took my bike. I have not gotten charged for a lost chip. Not proud to drop out....it wasn't fun, but it also wasn't hard to find someone to take the chip.

I would not have done this or accepted high fives. Collected my stuff and got out of town.
Quote Reply

Prev Next