Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it makes someone happy and does not impact you in any significant manner, why care? To quote the brilliant philosopher, Kunu, "Do Less."

BCtriguy1 wrote:
zoom wrote:
Some people are proud of their accomplishments. Why mock them for it? It's no different than folks with a M-dot tattoo. It's a form of self expression.

Just in your post, you are backdoor bragging that BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races. One can also say that maybe you should have been more humble and not put that statement in. Pot calling the kettle black, no?

BCtriguy1 wrote:
Nope, I'm a pretty normal dude. BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races, so she could brag if she wanted to, but we are both quiet people who don't understand why some feel the need to make the choice to scream "HEY EVERYONE IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW I RAN BOSTON" with their choice of clothing.

Like most things in life, do what you want, identify however you want, but for gods sake try to be a bit humble about it.

Not at all. Most people who know us don't know specifics about our athletic accomplishments (or in my case, lack thereof ;) ). I mentioned it here because it's a board that discusses these things. That's not exactly a backdoor brag. I was using her performance as an example.

It's one thing to be proud, which is a normal, healthy feeling to have when you overcome a challenge, or set a goal and follow through with it. It's another entirely to broadcast that pride out to every other person around you. How you choose to do that says something about you. No one is coordinating their whole outfit because they have a warm fuzzy feeling about having run Boston. It's narcissistic, plain and simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
There's nothing BCtrigirl and I enjoy more then making snide comments about people who show up to race packet pickups wearing all their IM or Boston gear.

That's probably about 80% of the field then...
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likewise. I'm training for my first full IM in March, and whenever people say they couldn't do it, I just tell them that they absolutely could - if they put the time in and aren't injured/in poor health.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely stated. TR
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
In this place, anything over 4.30 for a half or 10 hours for an ironman, is considered "slow".

I actually think it is harder for those people going slower as they are out there for so much longer!

I know my hardest races have been those where I have completely blown up due to cramp, medical issues or an injury.

+1

As you know fulla, I'm waaaay slower than you. The hardest thing for me is living up to my own expectations. I know I should be running at the 30km mark but I am just so FK'd that the simple act of not lying down and crying, is about all I can manage. Walking, and not even briskly, is all I can manage at that point. Looking spectators in the eye and seeing the pain they feel when they look how slowly I'm going just crushes me.

Sure, the physical part of going slow is difficult but the metal anguish I suffer is even worse. I had some good training buddies back in the day. We'd swim train and I'd crush them all. On the bike we'd do bike rides and 1/2 the time I wasn't even the slowest (1/2 the time I was, but I was within sight of them). In standalone marathons I was only 5-10 min behind them. But at IM I'd be anything from 1 to 2-1/2 hours behind them! That was devastating to me. Being useless is bloody hard work let me tell you.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When bumping into an acquaintance prior to IM Boulder last year was asked "you have to train for that?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
To people who are taking what I'm saying largely out of context. I can live with that.

Going back to your original comment
BCtriguy1 wrote:
There's nothing BCtrigirl and I enjoy more then making snide comments about people who show up to race packet pickups wearing all their IM or Boston gear.

It did get misconstrued a bit. We seemed to have missed the "all" in regards to their gear. However, you definitely brought some of this upon yourself, by coming off as snarky and condescending by admitting to enjoying making fun of people.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
The IM/Boston folks are simply more show-off-ish, that's all.

So are you saying that in your world, people should not wear Boston or IM gear anywhere at any time? I wear them whenever I feel like: to work out, go to the store, go out to eat, etc.
Most of them are nice shirts, why would I want to just leave them in the closet all the time? I don't disparage people who wear a shirt they got when they visited Rio or Hong Kong or something like that which I have never done.
BCtriguy1 wrote:

No one is coordinating their whole outfit because they have a warm fuzzy feeling about having run Boston. It's narcissistic, plain and simple.

Well not a whole outfit, but I will wear the stuff because I have a warm fuzzy feeling about the race. I thought those races were great and enjoyed them immensely. If you did not, well I guess different opinions is what makes the world go round.

You're taking my comment out of context, but perhaps i did not sufficiently explain: in BC's original comment he made the distinction between just wearing a shirt and wearing a whole outfit with hat, shirt, jacket, and pants all saying Boston, IM, or whatever. Neither BC nor I are saying that there's anything wrong with wearing one item of clothing at a time but rather it's the over-done complete outfit.

I wear T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc, all the time that have something to do with my athletic, educational, and/or athletic accomplishments, but just one at a time:)

Jesus Christ, thank you. It's amazing how people will take "I think it's ridiculous when people dress up from socks to hat in Boston gear" and somehow translate that in to "No one should ever wear race clothing or talk about their involvement in triathlon ever outside of an actual triathlon event".

So race shirts are OK, head-to-toe gear is not.....can you please illuminate us as to the break even point so people don't offend you at your next event?

Is it just a single piece of garb that is deemed acceptable, but anything over that is uncool? What if they mix-and-match....an IM shirt and a Boston hat (or vice versa)....what's the ruling there?

/pink

It's an interesting discussion. I have more race gear than most as I was a sucker for the expos in the past, but over the last few years of seeing what I don't like about the sport or type of person it can attract, I find it near impossible to wear any IM finisher, Boston jacket, NYC jacket, etc. You'd see me in my local sprint tech shirt now days over anything IM/Boston/Epic related. To each their own for sure but all it takes is knowing some of the darker side of the crowd to tamper one's opinion about wearing all or any of the gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Power13 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

So are you saying that in your world, people should not wear Boston or IM gear anywhere at any time? I wear them whenever I feel like: to work out, go to the store, go out to eat, etc.
Most of them are nice shirts, why would I want to just leave them in the closet all the time? I don't disparage people who wear a shirt they got when they visited Rio or Hong Kong or something like that which I have never done.
BCtriguy1 wrote:

No one is coordinating their whole outfit because they have a warm fuzzy feeling about having run Boston. It's narcissistic, plain and simple.

Well not a whole outfit, but I will wear the stuff because I have a warm fuzzy feeling about the race. I thought those races were great and enjoyed them immensely. If you did not, well I guess different opinions is what makes the world go round.

You're taking my comment out of context, but perhaps i did not sufficiently explain: in BC's original comment he made the distinction between just wearing a shirt and wearing a whole outfit with hat, shirt, jacket, and pants all saying Boston, IM, or whatever. Neither BC nor I are saying that there's anything wrong with wearing one item of clothing at a time but rather it's the over-done complete outfit.

I wear T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc, all the time that have something to do with my athletic, educational, and/or athletic accomplishments, but just one at a time:)

Jesus Christ, thank you. It's amazing how people will take "I think it's ridiculous when people dress up from socks to hat in Boston gear" and somehow translate that in to "No one should ever wear race clothing or talk about their involvement in triathlon ever outside of an actual triathlon event".

So race shirts are OK, head-to-toe gear is not.....can you please illuminate us as to the break even point so people don't offend you at your next event?

Is it just a single piece of garb that is deemed acceptable, but anything over that is uncool? What if they mix-and-match....an IM shirt and a Boston hat (or vice versa)....what's the ruling there?

/pink

It's an interesting discussion. I have more race gear than most as I was a sucker for the expos in the past, but over the last few years of seeing what I don't like about the sport or type of person it can attract, I find it near impossible to wear any IM finisher, Boston jacket, NYC jacket, etc. You'd see me in my local sprint tech shirt now days over anything IM/Boston/Epic related. To each their own for sure but all it takes is knowing some of the darker side of the crowd to tamper one's opinion about wearing all or any of the gear.

What... you don't want to be associated with people like this ?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhAh-BtA0U
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
To people who are taking what I'm saying largely out of context. I can live with that.

BCtriguy1 wrote:

It did get misconstrued a bit. We seemed to have missed the "all" in regards to their gear. However, you definitely brought some of this upon yourself, by coming off as snarky and condescending by admitting to enjoying making fun of people.

That's fair enough. And I'm sure I brought it on myself too by seeming like it's something that really bothers me, or that I "enjoy making fun of these people". Usually what happens (and I'm giving the example of what frequently happens at race pick ups) is we walk by someone, or even better, a couple, in matching head to toe gear from some event, we look at each other, roll our eyes, and carry on with our day. I'm not offended by it. I don't even really care.

Are they, in fact, just a huge fan of the sport? Are they ego maniacs who take themselves and their hobby way too seriously? Some of the people I know personally, having been a part of our endurance community for around a decade, and I know the answer leans towards the latter explanation. Either way, it's really no skin off my back and I don't really care what people do with their clothing. I've done one IM, and I bought a hoodie and a mug. I lounge around in the hoodie once in a blue moon, but I love the mug. I don't think I've ever worn the finishers.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

BCtriguy1 wrote:

That's fair enough. And I'm sure I brought it on myself too by seeming like it's something that really bothers me, or that I "enjoy making fun of these people". Usually what happens (and I'm giving the example of what frequently happens at race pick ups) is we walk by someone, or even better, a couple, in matching head to toe gear from some event, we look at each other, roll our eyes, and carry on with our day. I'm not offended by it. I don't even really care.

Are they, in fact, just a huge fan of the sport? Are they ego maniacs who take themselves and their hobby way too seriously? Some of the people I know personally, having been a part of our endurance community for around a decade, and I know the answer leans towards the latter explanation. Either way, it's really no skin off my back and I don't really care what people do with their clothing. I've done one IM, and I bought a hoodie and a mug. I lounge around in the hoodie once in a blue moon, but I love the mug. I don't think I've ever worn the finishers.

I think what is getting you into trouble here is comments like "snide remarks" , "roll our eyeballs" etc etc.

Everything else, I think if we were sitting around in a cafe we'd actually agree somewhat with. I'd end up laughing at myself and it would be all fun because I'd likely have some IM branded gear (I did 7 WTC races this year, so you just end up with a lot of their stuff). Right now I am on crutches, and cannot walk across a room on my own. I bought a 2014 IMC Whistler finisher jacket on sale at IMC 2015 because if was a nice jacket on clearout for $50 that said "2014" on it. Unfortunately what I did not realize is that it has this big huge "FINISHER" embroidery on the back. Really I don't need to tell the world I finished the stupid race, if I am wearing the jacket I am because I finished the race. In any case getting around on crutches and my left leg spasming from a nerve problem no one would visually look at me and think I could finish an IM and I don't want anyone talking about it and make snide remarks either on the side. So I don't wear it.

I go to the pool and I wear my Ironman branded swim caps inside out because I dont' want to be "that guy" at the pool. But you know what, right now, the only time I feel like an athlete at the moment is in the pool. So today, I reversed my tradition and put the cap on with "IRONMAN" on the outside. It made me feel like an athlete the moment I was in the pool. 4500m later I crawled out, grabbed the crutches and made it back to the shower, then to my car, back to day to day life....but for 4500m, on this day, putting on the cap one way versus the other way, just made me feel awesome.

In the end, it is a personal journey unique to everyone.

I think what is getting you in trouble is a few comments that tend to caste judgement. Minus the "snide" and "roll the eyeballs" and I think we know the difference between just wearing the gear and "way over the top" and probably a subtle in between. Its like when I go meet guys working at Intel or Microsoft, I don't really want to see them head to toe in corporate gear either, so I THINK we all get the drift of what you are trying to articulate.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am i allowed to wear my "qualified 70.3 world championship" hat? It fits good, it was free (kinda of), and i like it. I promise if i am allowed to wear it i will not wear my AWA swim cape at the same time when going to pool. Sorry to joke but Paul could not really have said it any better and to each there own.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually don't mind that type of person. It's still a bid deal to do an IM. However, the extent people will go to enhance their performance through PEDs, course cutting, and the 800 pound gorilla knowing as drafting does make me wonder why some people even do this stuff at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
chris948 wrote:
Maybe from now on don't bring it up?

I don't... they bring it up to me.

A women, mother of my daughter's friend, also I never met her before comes up to me and says "so ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims it to be... right? !!"

I don't really see a problem with that statement. There is a big misconception with Joe Public that you have to be ultra-fit to do an Ironman, its almost a con. And I think triathletes allowing non-triathletes to believe this are being deceptive. You do not need to be fit to complete an Ironman in under 17 hours. You can breaststroke the swim, ride at a leisurely pace and then walk the marathon. Although in saying that, if someone is simply saying that in order to denigrate someones achievement, then that is not on.
Last edited by: zedzded: Nov 29, 15 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
againagain wrote:
chris948 wrote:

A women, mother of my daughter's friend, also I never met her before comes up to me and says "so ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims it to be... right? !!"

I don't really see a problem with that statement. There is a big misconception with Joe Public that you have to be ultra-fit to do an Ironman, its almost a con. And I think triathletes allowing non-triathletes to believe this are being deceptive. You do not need to be fit to complete an Ironman in under 17 hours. You can breaststroke the swim, ride at a leisurely pace and then walk the marathon.

I think you took things out of context... not like this thread went there either. Anyway heading to your thought...
I know you don't have to be ultra-fit... I finished. But please feel free to demonstrate on your next IM: "You can breaststroke the swim, ride at a leisurely pace and then walk the marathon."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The bike ride and run would be easy, I just don't have time to train for the swim".

Premium Carbon Fiber Wheels at a Great Price! Only $997 a set.
Register for our upcoming INVITE ONLY wheel sale at FluidWheels.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I just don't like the fact we're conning the public. I get embarrassed when people are in awe of the fact I've done an IM and declare how fit I must be. I'm having to constantly correct them and explain how there are some very unfit and very overweight people competing and completing full Ironmen events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
zedzded wrote:
againagain wrote:
chris948 wrote:

I don't really see a problem with that statement. There is a big misconception with Joe Public that you have to be ultra-fit to do an Ironman, its almost a con. And I think triathletes allowing non-triathletes to believe this are being deceptive. You do not need to be fit to complete an Ironman in under 17 hours. You can breaststroke the swim, ride at a leisurely pace and then walk the marathon.

I think you took things out of context... not like this thread went there either. Anyway heading to your thought...
I know you don't have to be ultra-fit... I finished. But please feel free to demonstrate on your next IM: "You can breaststroke the swim, ride at a leisurely pace and then walk the marathon."

At best walking when fried is 5 kph. So walking the entire marathon is 8.5 hours right there. Breast stroke the swim is 2 hours, so you're at 10.5 hours. That leaves only 6.5 hours to do the bike. People always use the "walk the run wording" to downgrade late day finishers, but pretty well all late day finshers still have to do a certain amount of running to hit the cut off if they took 9-10.5 hours to get to T2 and then start the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
againagain wrote:
zedzded wrote:
againagain wrote:
chris948 wrote:

At best walking when fried is 5 kph. So walking the entire marathon is 8.5 hours right there. Breast stroke the swim is 2 hours, so you're at 10.5 hours. That leaves only 6.5 hours to do the bike. People always use the "walk the run wording" to downgrade late day finishers, but pretty well all late day finshers still have to do a certain amount of running to hit the cut off if they took 9-10.5 hours to get to T2 and then start the run.

Yup... that's what I am saying... 6.5 hours to do the bike, is far from leisure.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I guess I just don't like the fact we're conning the public. I get embarrassed when people are in awe of the fact I've done an IM and declare how fit I must be. I'm having to constantly correct them and explain how there are some very unfit and very overweight people competing and completing full Ironmen events.

I have the opposite problem... people look at me and think oh hey... "I can do one to."
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Power13 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

BCtriguy1 wrote:

/pink

I have never understood the dick-swinging of wearing race or tech or workout gear at packet pick-up.

YOU ARE NOT RACING.
YOU ARE NOT TRAINING.
YOU ARE STANDING ON LINE, OR SITTING AND LISTENING.

Why do you need the wicking fabric or the visor or the waterproof shell?
And yet I'm the guy who sticks out, wearing a polo shirt and jeans.

Do you wear the IM gear while registering for a race on your computer? Be as kinky as you like but otherwise, save it for the race, brah

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably do wear IM gear when on my computer signing up for races. I'm actually sitting here in a Richmond Marathon shirt and Beach 2 Battleship pajama pants. I have more race gear in my closet than anything else. It's comfortable and it's just what I tend to wear when it doesn't matter what I'm wearing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Dev, JOOC since i know you were in the Canadian Air Force, do you think my wearing military oriented stuff is in the same category as the IM stuff??? I don't quite see it as the same as some people think military guys are just dumb asses and/or suckers. OTOH, I am pretty proud of my service since there are lots of people out there who would never volunteer for the service in a million lifetimes.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be proud of it, but it is a little like a physician wearing a stethoscope to a party....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is gold
Quote Reply

Prev Next