Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They shipped mine today, on last day of the Ali shipping window.

Exciting to have something to get the testing kit back out for. Been mothballed for a bit. I'll put the GP5000 TdF TT tires on it.

Now need to get rid of the "error 404, legs not found" part of the TT problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the new rim shape. Numbers pretty impressive on the new 6560's, but the older ones were only 26mm wide so it may be a little be skewed.

mike s wrote:
PCW has the TroikaMax style wheel as a track special only.

When I talked with them in the past they said they would do stuff in batches if people were on board. I don’t recall what the number was though.

That’s how PCW’s spinoff P1 Race Technologies started. People were asking for a MTN Bike XC variant, they creating a batch for a limited number of buyers and for Pidcock during MTB XC Worlds. There was a soft launch a couple weeks after. With a formal launch around the Paris Olympics.

https://p1racetech.com/

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Versus: gotta swap tires to be fair but you get idea

Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, I’m having a hard time seeing the tire interaction in that last picture. But the one on the “Princeton” is perfect

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Nice, I’m having a hard time seeing the tire interaction in that last picture. But the one on the “Princeton” is perfect

The “aero moulding” on the gp5000 TT TdF also seems like it’s in an intentional different spot versus a normal gp5000. I wonder of there is magic there.

I feel the PCW idea is to optimize the “not a front disc” rule of open area with the big trispokes. Like having a front disc without all the issues one would bring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

The “aero moulding” on the gp5000 TT TdF also seems like it’s in an intentional different spot versus a normal gp5000. I wonder of there is magic there.

I feel the PCW idea is to optimize the “not a front disc” rule of open area with the big trispokes. Like having a front disc without all the issues one would bring.

Hopefully the new GP5TT’s are the same as the TDF special. I’ve got a pair of those right now. I also have some of the new VeloFlex Record 25 clinchers. BRR kind of did the 23 dirty using a 100g butyl tube. The tube weighs almost as much as the tire (125g). The original natural rubber one was fastest of all. Luckily I’ve got 3 of those but are reserved for track racing when it counts (natz and worlds)

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Now just need someone to combine these deep spokes with a 100mm rim profile and a Revolver Troika brake rotor fairing
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone here done aero testing on these wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tested GP5000 TT with "Troika"?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Stp1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stp1 wrote:
Have you tested GP5000 TT with "Troika"?

That will be the test, I just didn’t swap the gp5000 tt onto it yet so it’s a fair test. Troika rep vs PCW rep.

The rim width of both for tire interaction is about identical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc or rim brake?

I'm waiting my "Troika"...
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Stp1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still rim on a Trinity.

I've enough invested in the bike that I don't care to go disc anytime soon. Riding even my road bike I don't feel the need. Cyclocross and going disc brake made a lot of sense and helped a ton in wet/mud. But I'm not routinely on the brakes long enough or hard enough to justify it on the TT bike. Also I don't really ride road in the rain. If a TT is in the rain you're still almost never on the brakes for where I live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love some decent, inexpensive US-made trispokes. Recommendations on models and where to look?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [FedeleTemperini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FedeleTemperini wrote:
Would love some decent, inexpensive US-made trispokes. Recommendations on models and where to look?

It's probably hard to find both a US-made and inexpensive tri-spoke. I'd be surprised if you could find any made in the US, actually. Dimond/Red Crown sells one but I'm not sure where it's made or if it's open vs. closed mold.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [FedeleTemperini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a 90's DuPont/Specialized trispoke. Or a doctor triathlete looking for the newest upgrade. I don't think inexpensive carbon and US made apply anymore if you want something new.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light bicycle just released their new trispoke

https://www.lightbicycle.com/...ime-trial-track-bike

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

I expected it to cost more after they priced their disc at almost $1500. If I was speccing that out I'd go chosen hubs and a grooved brake track for rim. $615 is pretty reasonable considering I haven't seen a similarly designed one on Aliexpress yet. And the claimed weight is much lower than the trispoke I'm running now.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm quite surprised as well!

Think I'll pick this up. Hoping I can find a 21 int disc in the classifieds soon

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:

To you, sorry to be going OT, but red is to improve. BTS is in the flow with your position. You're too much on the tip of your saddle to make what you have work. Make the bottle horizontal. Nice tight front end, I like it, but huge low pressure zone behind it, copy Ditlev (behind the arms bottle + chest fairing). You need calf sleeves or high trip socks.

After doing ~ 200 runs of aero testing this year so far in 2024 I can tell you calf sleeves do not work for everyone. I've seen as much as a 10+w penalty. The right calf sleeves, when they work, can be a huge help. The wrong ones can be a huge penalty, 2+ min/90km. (i've tested 2 HUUB models, WYNN, and 1 or 2 others I can't remember - no consensus on which was the fastest....or slowest.)

I'd erase the red on the BTS as an absolute as well.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
Anyone with experience and/ or data on the cheaper Tri-spoke options out there?

Would love to hear direct experience and/ or wind tunnel data before I pull the trigger.

I've tested the brand Emotion out of AUS this year on the roads on a few athletes. Wasn't the fastest option for all of them but was for iirc ~ 60-70% of them. Reasonable as well, ~ $650AUD.

All their wheels are reasonably priced. If I was was still racing I'd ponder bringing a 3 spoke and disc wheel back to the US to race on.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 10, 24 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I've tested the brand Emotion out of AUS this year on the roads on a few athletes. Wasn't the fastest option for all of them but was for iirc ~ 60-70% of them. Reasonable as well, ~ $650AUD.

All their wheels are reasonably priced. If I was was still racing I'd ponder bringing a 3 spoke and disc wheel back to the US to race on.

Thank you for all the insights you have provided in this thread!

Have you found any similarities between the profile that tested daster with a tri-spoke? Perhaps faster / slower depending on the width of the fork or how close the wheel was to the downtube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

This post reminded me that I never got the wheel I ordered towards the end of November. I just checked the order page for it and it says "processing" . . . wonder if I'll get this newer one or if I'll get a wheel at all?!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen the Carbonal disc (22mm ID)?

https://carbonal.net/...-tubeless-rear-wheel
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im having trouble finding their website

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:

I expected it to cost more after they priced their disc at almost $1500. If I was speccing that out I'd go chosen hubs and a grooved brake track for rim. $615 is pretty reasonable considering I haven't seen a similarly designed one on Aliexpress yet. And the claimed weight is much lower than the trispoke I'm running now.

I'm actually more surprised that the 88mm deep front wheels that are just below them are only $256! That's crazy low.
Interesting that it's 88-is this a copy off of the Premier wheels which are rated really well?
Quote Reply

Prev Next