Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience
Quote | Reply
Anyone with experience and/ or data on the cheaper Tri-spoke options out there?

Thinking about Light Bicycle, Super Team etc.

Are these wheels decent in terms of aerodynamics when compared to something like a FLO 60?
How do they hold up to wear and tear?

Would love to hear direct experience and/ or wind tunnel data before I pull the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought a LightBicycle Tri-Spoke at the beginning of the year and used a few dozen times. Has performed faultlessly for me and no issues with QC of it.

Been sub-20 for 10 mile on it and ridden it to 4:20 IM bike splits so take from that what you wish. Much faster than standard 50mm deep front rims. As with any tri-spokes, can be temperamental in the wind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up finding a used H3+ off of Ebay for less than most of the other options out there. Definitely faster than the Jet+ 60 I had on there previously.

Before that I looked into LightBicycles's offering and didn't find much in the way of negative press.
Last edited by: Fishhawk21: Nov 21, 22 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have one (revolver clone), love it. Quality was there. I pretty much only race it so I don't have a ton of mileage on it. Handling is not any worse than my Hed Stinger 6 in cross winds, so it's a quite predictable wheel. Plenty of fast folks raced it to good results. I have not seen numbers, but nobody is saying it is a slow wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding this one for a few months now. Purchased for less than $400 shipped. It's an impressive wheel. Haven't done any testing with it but it certainly feels fast and no harder to handle than anything else I've ridden. Only near issue with the rim brake version is how wide it is. It's ~28mm at the brake track which even the TriRig Omega One can just barely accommodate. Big fan of it overall though.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Nov 21, 22 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ That is about the slipperiest looking setup I've seen. Love the attention to detail (Giro empire shoes, speedplay, vision 1x aero crankset etc). FAST.

Dayoutsports.com.au| Australia's Newest Cycling and Tri Apparel Brand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all, doing a bit of digging this was supplied by the manufacturer:

Take it with a grain of salt as it is not independent. Lots of fast and testing folks have this wheel, but no one posted anything about it anywhere 🤨

To you, sorry to be going OT, but red is to improve. BTS is in the flow with your position. You're too much on the tip of your saddle to make what you have work. Make the bottle horizontal. Nice tight front end, I like it, but huge low pressure zone behind it, copy Ditlev (behind the arms bottle + chest fairing). You need calf sleeves or high trip socks.

Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supplied by what manufacturer? You didn't say and that chart doesn't indicate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STeaveA wrote:
Supplied by what manufacturer? You didn't say and that chart doesn't indicate

Revolver
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice set up

Thank you for the info about the trispoke

What is the deal with the rear disc? Seems to be about the same price as HED. Any particular reason for choosing the one you did?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Revolver
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
What is the deal with the rear disc? Seems to be about the same price as HED. Any particular reason for choosing the one you did?
One really big reason I went for this one:
I received it for free.
But if I were to buy a disc I would be looking at either a Premier disc or going direct from China like the trispoke. The Aeron X is fine but nothing all that special about it. Prior to receiving this disc last year I was just using a wheelbuilder disc cover.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, per the title I wasn't asking about tri spoke wheels in general I was asking about the cheap trispokes out there.

I know cheap is somewhat individual, but I wouldn't consider $1000+ cheap for a wheel when the other options I mentioned are all under $400
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of Super Team tri spokes a few years back to train on and the quality was terrible. There was slop in the bearing housing and they sent me a video with instructions of using one of those slide out bladed knives to score the aluminium housing creating ridges so the bearings had a tighter fit. I kid you not... I complained until they sent me a new wheel but there is zero aero about it just a three spoke wheel. I just wanted a cheap set of wheels and to look cool while I trained but the hub quality was terrible and I sold them after a short time. There are better options out there then Super Team...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a super team front tri spoke and really like it. No quality issues and it is definitely faster than my 50mm mavics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Oceanside this past weekend:

Still need to tinker with rear bottle position a bit and will probably add a chest bottle or something for certain races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgive the ignorance... what is a chest bottle?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ing. wrote:
Forgive the ignorance... what is a chest bottle?
Basically just tossing a bottle down the front of the kit like a few of the guys did at Kona: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...os_in_Kona_8518.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bottle down the chest faster than not having one there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I've been
riding this one for a few months now. Purchased for less than $400 shipped. It's an impressive wheel. Haven't done any testing with it but it certainly feels fast and no harder to handle than anything else I've ridden. Only near issue with the rim brake version is how wide it is. It's ~28mm at the brake track which even the TriRig Omega One can just barely accommodate. Big fan of it overall though.

I've bought the same front and rear wheel for my Speed Concept Gen 2 and have been very happy with it as well. I believe I paid around 370 Euros shipped.
It's indeed quite wide, had to shave down front and rear brake pads quite a bit to accomodate the wheels.

Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Apr 5, 23 22:20
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doe mij ook zo’n ‘transparante’ ketting ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super low friction 😉😂
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL !!

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
From Oceanside this past weekend:

Still need to tinker with rear bottle position a bit and will probably add a chest bottle or something for certain races.

Not sure it matters but flip the front wheel. It’s turning in wrong direction. I believe this wheel is directional. About picture on the rack shows correct direction.

I do have the same wheel and love it. It’s the only wheel I want to race with.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Tri-Spoke Experience [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oof that's embarrassing. I always pay attention to that but messed it up. Thanks!

Quote Reply

Prev Next