Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [echappist [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed re: Purito. perhaps re: Jill Bear. Betancur was otf for a full 2 minutes last year, before getting caught in the last 125 meters. He seemed to have been the strongest, but attacked too early.

I'm also not sure about Martin as he may not be in top condition either. I personally think Kwiatkowski is blown. He's had a pretty full racing calender since early March.

edit to add: Simon Clarke and Albasini could also do well
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 21, 14 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone was wondering what kind of power it takes to win the Flèche Wallone here is a great analysis from a man who knows: http://www.53x12.com/...epth.view&id=116.

He knows a lot of other things about "what it takes" that he is less willing to talk about I am sure.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
echappist wrote:

Also, Kiel Reijnen could get a top ten or higher, based on his performance in Philly last year

I don't know about that one, the Mur de Huy is about a third longer than the Manyunk Wall:

http://www.strava.com/...manayunk-wall-612783
http://www.strava.com/...-de-huy-climb-617076

Kind of changes it towards a VO2 max effort and not an anaerobic one. I sure would like to see an American conti rider pull out a good one though-makes me feel better when they eat my lunch in races here!

Good point. but they hit Manayunk like seven times. so in the end still quite aerobic in nature. That said, the Philly course is easier than Fleche, so there's that. But i think he has the potential to do well

PS. Saw that you are doing Joe Martin. Good luck!

edit: they actually hit Manuyunk 10 times last year with the course revamp. The 7 time as i mentioned before was from 2012.

Files from:

Haga: http://www.strava.com/activities/57841154
Reijnen (caddy): http://www.strava.com/activities/57998778
Anthony (steak knives): http://www.strava.com/activities/57847065
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 21, 14 16:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering where the hell Vanendert came from? I know his only results in the past few years other than that one TDF stage have been Classics podiums, but he disappeared last year. Seems like he would be suited for LBL as the climb is longer/slightly less explosive, but nice to have another protagonist to watch out for.

Also, very curious why Amstel and La Fleche or WorldTour, while the monument itself (LBL) is not? Seems bizarre for the main course to not have WorldTour ramifications.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking Dan Martin has a good race tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
Also, very curious why Amstel and La Fleche or WorldTour, while the monument itself (LBL) is not? Seems bizarre for the main course to not have WorldTour ramifications.

Liege is World Tour. Or am I misunderstanding the question?
http://www.uciprotour.com/...MTY5OTY&LangId=1
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider me apparently unable to read a race schedule.

Could've sworn I saw something stating it wasn't; the calendar clearly states I'm wrong, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
He could be up there, but he's not anywhere near the demonstrated form he was at last year going into Ardennes week. Hesjedal was pretty instrumental in setting up LBL for him last year, and he hasn't shown well in anything yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
I'm wondering where the hell Vanendert came from? I know his only results in the past few years other than that one TDF stage have been Classics podiums, but he disappeared last year. Seems like he would be suited for LBL as the climb is longer/slightly less explosive, but nice to have another protagonist to watch out for.

i think he had a nasty crash last year and was pretty much out for the season. This year also a bad crash, and finally getting back to good fitness now it seems.

I don't know about Dan Martin, and frankly i have no idea what to make of the Garmin team nowadays. They seem so incoherent, at times I'd almost think they are not very motivated as a team in the classics. Can't remember seeing them that much watching the cobble classics, besides Farrar and Vansummeren crashing, and Langeveld having a pretty solid race at Paris - Roubaix.

Last edited by: Cobble: Apr 22, 14 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to take anyone serious wearing those ridiculous Poc glasses. Looks like a smoke break on an Eastern European p@rn set.

1) Costa gets off snide
2) Valverde
3) Slagter

Lucas Euser in top 10
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Apr 22, 14 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like i didn't do my reserach when i picked Betancur. Seems like he's gotten sick/injured...

in his place, i pick Julian Arredondo
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 23, 14 5:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, score! my VPN now allows me to tunnel into de Nederland, which means i get sporza broadcasts, not that i understand anything other than kopgroep, but this means i get to watch all of the races i'd want to watch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really happy for Martin. He seems again to not be as well placed, but did well despite earlier setbacks this year. Keiatkowski looked strong, though i still think his form is on the decline.

I predicted, in no particular order, TJS, Mollema, Piti, Gilbert, Albasini, Moreno, Arredondo. Seven out of eleven, though i wouldnt have picked Piti for the win.

LBL should be good this Sunday. Martin, Nibali, Piti, Jill Bear, Rui Costa, Simon Clarke, van den Broecke, Geschke, Roche, and Slagter should make up the top ten. Fuglsang, Moreno, Gallopin, Kwaitkowski, Bakelandt, Kangert, and le Grenouille are outside picks who could crack top ten.

For the podium:

Caddy: Jill Bear
Steak knives: Martin
Fired: Rui Costa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't quite get the Valverde pick right. Looked like he played the finale perfectly.

Have to ruminate on LBL. Martin looked pretty good today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Ahem.......

Funny, Vaughters tweeted that he told Martin after he withdrew from Amstel that he needed to step up and be a leader today.
Gosh JV, you did it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An inspirational motivator, that JV is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...ildest-expectations/

Quote:
Andy Schleck returned to the classics with a vengeance, hitting his knee on a pole in the Amstel Gold Race and retiring with more than 100km of racing to go. “I couldn’t have asked for more,” an ebullient Schleck told reporters outside the Trek Factory Team bus.

“It’s getting harder and harder to come up with plausible excuses for my terrible riding,” he said with a smile. “The contusions on my knee are palpable, real. No one can deny these boo-boos. Check it out.” Schleck extended his right knee, which sported a large, 2-inch scrape partially covered by two Band-Aids.

“This hurts!” added Schleck. “Ow!”

“We believe that with this race Andy will be completely back on top of his game of not being on top of his game,” added [TREK Team Manager Louis] Pasteur when asked about Schleck’s participation in Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège, two races that are regarded as among the most difficult in which to properly place the French accent grave.

“It’s even possible that he will ride neither race, yet still manage to collect his paycheck. This is a dream come true, even in a country like Luxembourg, where it is a basic human right to have everything given to you whether you deserve it or not."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I can't quite get the Valverde pick right. Looked like he played the finale perfectly.

Have to ruminate on LBL. Martin looked pretty good today.

Gilbert is still the favorite in my mind. Had he not had the problem at the bottom of the Huy he'd been all over Val.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [Veloracermike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Martin also got tangled up at the foot of the Huy and almost snatched it.

But agree, hard to pick between Gilbert, Valverde, Martin and Kwiatkowski, who all look good. I'd tip the first three a little more only because they have greater experience. Lots of potential spoilers, too: Slagter, Moreno, Mollema.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think QS has found their next classics star in Kwiatkowski that kid is legit. But yeah the three of them and if J Rod is at full strength LBL is going to be a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [Veloracermike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only a classics star but stage racer as well. He can climb, TT, packs a good sprint (out of a small group) and is now showing tactical aplomb--all at 23. He's like a Nibali with little less climbing ability but way more dangerous otherwise.

Crazy talent. In a year or two I could envision him winning a classic or monument and maybe the Vuelta in same season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just noticed Phil Gaimon in LBL for Garmin. I'm a fanboy. Happy to see him go Euro and this s a big race for him, I think his biggest thus far.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Spring Classics thread ***spoilers*** [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seth Davidson gets it bang-on. Did you read his "interviews" with O'Grady or Zabel? Very clever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Just noticed Phil Gaimon in LBL for Garmin. I'm a fanboy. Happy to see him go Euro and this s a big race for him, I think his biggest thus far.

Ok, now he's off the start list. Oh well....

Place yer bets!
I say Purito, Nibali, Martin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilbert, Valverde, Martin
Quote Reply

Prev Next