Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3
Quote | Reply
After years of back and forth on the forum, Pubes has bested resident (pro) filibuster Thomas Gerlach.

Don't want to hear anything about different courses, different time of day, whatever.

That is all.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be the new bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they shorten them amateur swim? Their swim times are 10 minutes faster than the pros.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that too, seemed odd. Chattanooga has a downriver swim, right? Maybe the pros had to loop up the river a bit first?

Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Must be the new bike

Must be the 15:xx half IM swim for Pubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fairly confident he raced the felt. Don't believe he ever plans to fly with the DB.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless that was supposed to be in pink
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Did they shorten them amateur swim? Their swim times are 10 minutes faster than the pros.

My understanding is that the pros had a 400 m against the current section vs the amateurs being all with the current. Bruce Gennari went 13:25. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
After years of back and forth on the forum, Pubes has bested resident (pro) filibuster Thomas Gerlach.

Don't want to hear anything about different courses, different time of day, whatever.

That is all.

Except it was a different course. The swim course was shortened for the amateurs.

And Kiley raced on the felt. At least that's what he was riding in the days prior.

Oh and the top 3 amateurs beat the pro winner Matt Russell.... should we make a thread for them too?

blog
Last edited by: stevej: May 21, 17 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
00:41/100m, he should go to the Olympics and win every freestyle event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

My understanding is that the pros had a 400 m against the current section vs the amateurs being all with the current. Bruce Gennari went 13:25. :)

Bruce Gennari lost his biggest advantage with that silly downriver swim. Next thing you know they will run the 21.1 km run on a 10 kph conveyor belt. That should cover it. while we are at it, every age grouper also gets assigned a magic motor than measures their input power at the pedals and doubles the power to the wheels. Then you have the full blow WTC cheatathlon. You get your 70.3 medal while barely doing 5i50 work....sounds awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A while back my buddies and I went to Vegas for golf. One of the rules for this trip was whomever lost the Day 3 of golf had to go to a MMA gym there and fight a MMA fighter. I dominated the first two days to shit the bed on Day 3, putting me in the octagon with a MMA fighter. So, you get a membership to said gym, and you get ready to "dance". They were good sports about it, and right off the get go we made the simple rules: no kicking, and no choking me out (yeah, not really an MMA fight, but whatever). So, i get some guy who is 175lbs of muscle (I'm 220...not muscle). I'm a former high level hockey player and have enjoyed the art of fisticuffs. So I'm no slouch..but I'm no boxer or MMA fighter. So we start and do our dance and I catch the guy with a short check hook. He back up, laughs a bit while his buddies razz him. I have a new found confidence of "hey, this is just another fight. You can do this." He puts some head fakes in, and goes to side step for a hook and I deliver a BOMB down the middle. Straight right down the middle. I buckle his knees and the whole places goes "OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!" He takes two steps back and UNLEASHES a nasty kick that grazes the bottom of my elbow and takes out all of my internal organs. I drop, can't breath, can't move, am paralyzed and dying. As I come to I remind him of the rules and that he is a fucking cheater. He tells me we can do it again, and I say "Nope. I don't fight cheaters. And declare myself undefeated in MMA and get out of the Octagon."

Point is: it wasn't really a MMA fight, but I'm gonna take that victory. SWEET, SWEET VICTORY.

Same goes for Kiley. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be hilarious if they had done this race with the whole thing up river.
It would take a 23:00 swimmer - 45:00
A 30:00 swimmer - 1:00
A 35:00 swimmer - 1:30
A 40:00 swimer - 3:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

While in the swim line I thought I over heard them say it went from a 1.2 mile swim to a .8 mile swim, it was crazy watching the pros struggle so much. Seemed like it was 10+minutes after they went in before we saw them get around the buoys and back to basically where they started, once they made that turn though, man they were gone!

ericmulk wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

Championship race is up river thank goodness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

Bruce Gennari lost his biggest advantage with that silly downriver swim. Next thing you know they will run the 21.1 km run on a 10 kph conveyor belt. That should cover it. while we are at it, every age grouper also gets assigned a magic motor than measures their input power at the pedals and doubles the power to the wheels. Then you have the full blow WTC cheatathlon. You get your 70.3 medal while barely doing 5i50 work....sounds awesome.

You elitist asshole
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't wait to see Dev's thoughts on the Nike sub-7 project....

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you watched how they got the riders to go so fast in Roth every year? They don't have a tesla with a big clock, but they sure have a lot of motorbikes around the leaders.
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Championship race is up river thank goodness.

So if they supposedly felt the pro's struggled too much swimming up river and that there would be AG athletes not able to make it and they delayed and adjusted course for AG, Worlds should be interesting as 800 + of it goes upstream! Curious if you hear any pros thoughts on their swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Pubes beat Gerlach. Chattanooga 70.3 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Myself and some of the other pro males hardly noticed a current at all either up, across, or down river. Unless the current picked up after we got out (unlikely) or we were oblivious (possible), it seemed like an overreaction to me.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't wait for the AMA thread!

afurlong wrote:

That is all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:

That is all.

I did run into pubes pre-race randomly. He had a great race and I accept my defeat. I didn't swim with a swim skin though that probably was my race right there ;)

Seriously though I know Adam chimed in but that was a tough current. You still get it for all but 300-400 but that 300-400 took forever. Usually before I know it is 2nd bouy. My experience is 3 years upstream at Louisville and one year at Chatt. I know it was going to be tough because I was warming up swimming perpendicular to shore and I was constantly landing downstream. Would be curious to know actual flow rates.

I had heard there was a pro women who wasn't making any progress. No idea what kind of a swimmer she is, but pros also didn't get wetsuits. I don't know what making progress means or whether true, but upstream swims, even if short can really lengthen the time for poor swimmers. Even with wetsuits a strong current could end a poor swimmers day.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
can't wait to see Dev's thoughts on the Nike sub-7 project....

What course is the Nike sub 7 on ? Kona, Roth, Frankfurt on Lanzarote? Depending on the course we will need some creativity on WTC cheatathlon (Patent Pending) race modify solutions I thought Felix was competing with the guys at Klagenfurt to perfect the fast course thing, but they have nothing on the Chattanooga swim mafia.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beach to battleship may be up in contention for a Nike sub-7 course... but what you need is a point to point tail wind course for the bike and run.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
beach to battleship may be up in contention for a Nike sub-7 course... but what you need is a point to point tail wind course for the bike and run.

Maybe we can make the Chinese Navy to build a 138.2 mile long Island in the South Pacific (you know, like the ones they build in the South China sea out of coral reefs and put runways on them to claim territory). Then just run this with the prevailing tailwind. Or move the new Ironman Argentina from Mar del Plata to Port Stanley in the Islas Malvinas. Get the sub 7 IM Argentina done with the prevailing tailwind before the British Navy moves in to reclaim the event as Ironman Great Britain.

Prevailing wind there is daily 31 kph to 63 kph....that should cover the assist.
Quote Reply

Prev Next