Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power meter survey [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap (hub). Easiest to change between bikes, and cheapest dual sided PM I could find used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Vectors (with original pods). Why? Because 1) I gave away one SRM and the battery of my other one needs replacing, 2) the Garmins were given to me, and 3) it has helped when developing and testing the WKO4 pedaling metrics and iLevels.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
SRM. Because it's the gold standard.

I have a Powertap G3 and the P1 pedals, I really like the pedals but have never had an issue with either.

Is the SRM still considered the gold standard? Or has that become a myth that only people who actually own them still try and carry on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been very happy with my ROTOR InPower cranks/power meter.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quarq Riken, 3xPowerTap G3, and a pair of Powertap P1 pedals.

I use them for aero testing.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap G3 hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2Max Crank based (only ride one bike so that made the most sense for me)

As others have said, easy to calibrate, reliable, L/R measurement, cadence, good pricing, it just works.

I can't comment on customer service because in the 2-1/2 years I have had it, there have been zero issues.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Powertap G3 hub on my TT/Tri bike. There were far fewer options when I bought it. But after a couple years I don't think I'd change a thing. It is reliable and accurate. After getting the hub for the TT bike I became addicted to power and purchased a Powertap Pro (a cheaper option at the time) for my road bike. It too has been ultra reliable and accurate. Now that I've got the motor as good as it's going to get I finally want to get better wheels for next season. I had thought of changing over to P1 pedals and getting rid of the hub. But then Powertap went and put the RS on sale for a ridiculously low price so I picked up one of those and will have it laced into some sort of race wheels over the winter.

I have found the hubs to be bulletproof. I see no reason to change.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three bikes in our stable. Powertap hub on wife's tri bike, Power2max on my tri bike and a Powertap hub on my roadie.
Tri bikes are BSA bb so P2M can go on either. Roadie is BBright.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 Quarq: TT bike, works outstanding, had a stages on this bike but the stages had issues and switched, i don't worry about the quarq at all plug and play.
1 Stages: road bike, works well on this bike.

-- if i did not need to be on speedplay would take a hard look at power tap pedals

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Aug 18, 16 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2Max on Tri bike
Power2Max on Road bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2max on my tri bike and two of my road bikes. They just work, no hiccups. Calibrate quickly on my garmin 520 when I need them to. Two were purchased new, one was purchased used.
Stages on one of my other road bikes. Purchased used because it was a quick solution and fit on my dura ace crank. Works ok, kind of finicky when I want ot to calibrate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2Max on both my tri and road bike. Same thing for my wife's bikes.

As others have said, extremely reliable, easy to install, and inexpensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bought a used Quarq off classifieds, works flawlessly. Lets me change wheels for training/racing. Will probably buy another Quarq for my roadie at some point as the cost is still near equal to one set of P1 pedals and would eliminate any switching.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power2max here too for same reasons as already mentioned and very affordable as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power tap G3 hubs in both race and training wheels. The information is as good as it gets, they are amazingly easy to setup and use, and they are completely bulletproof. Also, being close to the factory they are amazing if any questions or issues happen. Mine have been bulletproof, but I did have an issue with a wheel being out of true shortly after getting it (from another manufacturer). I contacted them as to whom they might suggest to fix it. I really did;t want the expensive shipment of a wheel to deal with. They told me to bring it over which I did. Before I got back to my parking spot at my home they called that it was done....no charge. They are amazing with support, information and just plain kindness. Plus I have the benefit of having the best information available with a power meter. Whether it be the hubs, chainring setup, or pedals, I would definitely recommend taking a VERY close look at them.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QUARQ, own 2 and about to buy a 3rd, their customer service made me a lifelong customer. I used powertap previously, hub, and had no problems at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap P1 for Tri and road bike; it literally takes less than a min or two to change between bikes.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Vector2....for easy of installation and transfer between bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
Powertap P1 for Tri and road bike; it literally takes less than a min or two to change between bikes.

The only bummer is you can't use speedplay, or I would seriously consider the powertap pedals for the super simple transfer between bikes. From what I have read they are rock solid.

I honestly think you can't go wrong with quarq, powertap, or SRM. If SRM comes down in price again they will become a top contender due to their customer support and long warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
LuisDF wrote:

The only bummer is you can't use speedplay, or I would seriously consider the powertap pedals for the super simple transfer between bikes. From what I have read they are rock solid.

I honestly think you can't go wrong with quarq, powertap, or SRM. If SRM comes down in price again they will become a top contender due to their customer support and long warranty.

I had Pt: pain in the butt too switch between bike + disc cover on race day... it was rock solid tho
I had 2 Quarqs: I had to send them back 4 or 5 times total and it was usually before a race... ANNOYING - will never buy or recommend a quarq.
I had Garmin: it was GARBAGE; unreliable, PITA to change between bikes, and their customer service acted like they didn't know something was wrong (even tho some of their own people post on their website about the issue with the radio transmission).

One year with the P1 without not even one issue... none!!!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
LuisDF wrote:

I had Pt: pain in the butt too switch between bike + disc cover on race day... it was rock solid tho
I had 2 Quarqs: I had to send them back 4 or 5 times total and it was usually before a race... ANNOYING - will never buy or recommend a quarq.
I had Garmin: it was GARBAGE; unreliable, PITA to change between bikes, and their customer service acted like they didn't know something was wrong (even tho some of their own people post on their website about the issue with the radio transmission).

One year with the P1 without not even one issue... none!!!

I had the same issue with the old quarqs, I now have a riken and elsa with no issues at all over 3 years. Water damage was the primary problem, but seems like they figured that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 PowerTap G3C hubs for racing
1 PowerTap GS hub for training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvinbal6 wrote:
I have a stages that I switch between road and Tri bike. I'm not sure I like it anymore and wondering what others do. So tell me... What power meter are you using to train and why? Thanks for the input.

1. Garmin Vector on my road bike racer - I need as much data as possible, and like to know seated and off the saddle time plus additional WKO+ data
2. P1 on my TT bike, I was sick and tired of changing pedals, P1 are way to thick for road racer bike, but ideal for TT bike.
3. PowerTap for my commuter/rain bike
4.Stages on my Cyclocross bike because stages seems bullet proof, I have 45-55% imbalance and stages are alwyas lowballing my power, but it is "good enough" for CX bike
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P1s...now I only need one PM and can compare across my TT, both road bikes, and can use on my fat bike for winter commuting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next