Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power meter survey
Quote | Reply
I have a stages that I switch between road and Tri bike. I'm not sure I like it anymore and wondering what others do. So tell me... What power meter are you using to train and why? Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerTap P1.
  1. I wanted total power (versus a 1-side and total estimate)
  2. I wanted to be able to switch it over to my old road bike
  3. I did not want to be locked into a particular wheel

Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two Quarqs. Because switching over *any* component gets really old when you do it 2-3 times per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a PowerTap G3 hub that I use on my road bikes. I like it because it's simple, reliable, and was reasonably inexpensive. I also have a second free hub body for it so it's easy for me to swap from a 11sp to a 10sp cassette with no tools. (The free hubs just slide off by hand and the cassette is mounted to it.) I don't like that I'm getting the itch for an aero wheelset for the road and if I get one I feel I'll "need" to buy another PT.

I have a Stages on my cross bike. It honestly felt like it was the only option for me. I wasn't going to spend the $$$ for a new crankset-based or pedal-based meter, didn't want to deal with the PT disc option and there was a deal I couldn't pass up. I feel like the Stages is simple as well and that it's adequate for the way 98% of PM users will use their PM (this includes me) but I still prefer the PT. It's odd, but when I use the Stages I'm very aware that only my left leg is being measured. It makes me wonder if I start to favor the left side if I'm trying to hit a specific number.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Two Quarqs. Because switching over *any* component gets really old when you do it 2-3 times per week.

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM. Because it's the gold standard.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM.

I moved to SRM about 10 years ago for the reliability, and even with all the new stuff on the market, I have no urge to switch.

My recommendations for noobies to power would be the P1 pedals. My friend recently bought them and loves them.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Aug 17, 16 18:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got 1 Quarq and 1 SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A quarq.

Powertap and stages had to be sent back. Powertap read very high and was unreliable.

Quarq has their app that allows you to adjust slope and do self calibration with hanging weights. No need to send back to factory.

No problems since
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 G3 hubs
1 GS hub (in the mail)
1 Stages D/A9000 about to be replaced under warranty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerTap P1. It doesn't get any easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM- I tried a Stages this summer.
I found that the data jumped all over the place and I got tons of dropouts.
So I went back to my SRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a dual pedal Vector and single Vector S because I have 4 bikes and put the 2 pedal PM on the bike I'm doing most of my training. Switching between bikes is pretty easy with the newer system. I bet not much more difficult that the Powertap P1. I like the torque wrench anyway. No drop outs to my 920 or 520 and I get the cool cycling dynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought 2 slightly used Quarqs (road and tri) several years ago. Perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 1 quarq and 1 pioneer. I think moving quarq between bikes is easier than Powertap P1 if your cranks are at the same length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quarq - ease of use, customer service and reliability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pioneer on two bikes. You are limited as to your choice of cranks (either Ultegra 6800 or DA 9000 crank only) but if those work for you it is excellent. I get to use my preferred pedals and wheels and I don't have to pay the ridiculous SRM premium price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerTap C1 and PowerBeam Pro trainer. The C1 does what it's supposed to outside and the PowerBeam Pro is perfect for ERG mode and use on Zwift.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM on tri bike, Vector 2 on road bike. Both bought used (in great condition and cheap). Didnt want to buy Stages for easy swap-ability due to many negative experience on readings. The Vector has easy swap-ability, and both havent failed me yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two Quarqs - one with compact swapped between my road bikes and one with standard aero on my tri bike.

Bought when the choice was SRM, Powertap and Quarq. PT not feasible (I run Campag wheels) and SRM too expensive. And Quarq CS is exceptional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 x Quarq and 2 X SRM for me.
As mentioned, swapping components several times a week is a pain
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a quarq on last bike and loved it.

Changed bikes and went with stages for shimano crank preference.

Not good.
Works well indoors, but in races outdoors too many drop outs.
My np is always like 30w less than ap for example.
It can be used as rough guide, with zeros excludedo from Ap figure to give a theoretical reasonable number, but it gets old fast looking at power dropping out or files with drop outs and lower np.

Likely soon return to quarq.
Pioneer an option but quarq proved excellent before.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought power2max S with Rotor Cranks Praxis rings.

Fits with my existing rotor bb on my P5.
Accurate, easy to 'calibrate,' super reliable, dual sided power measurement at a reasonable cost.

Couldn't be happier and will buy another unit for my road bike. I too have a huge aversion to switching over components from one bike to another and felt the P1 pedals would be too large for some of the technical riding I do on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quarq x2
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quarq ELSA 50/34 gxp on trainer bike
Quarq Riken 52/36 gxp on tri bike
PowerTap G3 on road bike

All have been solid performers so far and the Riken and G3 have been through some very wet days.
Quote Reply

Prev Next