Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Phelps vs Le Clos ...100 fly this time (changed thread title)
Quote | Reply
OK, enough of the doper Sun Yang thread....let's have a separate thread for tonite's 200 fly finals. Who are you going for and why?

1. Kenderesi was the only person under 1:54 in semis....beats Phelps and LeClos
  2. Le Clos is the guy from London...defending against Phelps....will he be tired from 200m free finals + 200 fly semis yesteday
  3. Phelps owned the 4x100 relay...how hard will he close in the finals
  4. Lazlo Ceh....it's like being born at the same time as Eddy Merckx or Mark Spitz....you might be best of the rest but no one remembers you
  5. Sakai Masato from Japan. Only 21 but he was 0.13 seconds behind the Le Clos in the semis
  6. Daiya Seto....this guy is only 174cm (5'8.5")....how is it even possible that he got a bronze in the 400IM already and only 0.09 behind Le Clos in qual?

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 11, 16 13:49
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's tough.

Can't count Phelps out, but his last 25 hasn't been looking good at Trials or in Rio. Hard to bet against the guy.

Sentimental favourite is Seto.

Le Clos is gonna be tough.

and where the hell did Kenderesi come from. He wasn't on anyone's radar. Through heats and semi's he looks the best, but I think Seto has more in the tank, so does Le Clos (won't be tired) and Phelps has a way of stepping up.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phelps.....cause.......'Murica!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Aug 9, 16 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching the semis last night it seemed like Phelps made his statement dominating the first 150 meters and then packed it in a bit the last 50.

Le Clos looked like he was just doing enough to advance having raced a hard final earlier in the night. He was also very clearly trying to get in to Phelps' head. I don't personally know Phelps but the look on his face tells me "Don't poke the bear."

My prediction is that Phelps buries Le Clos tonight to take gold.

Phelps
Ceh
Le Clos
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Le Clos sets a world record if he stops looking around in the middle of the race ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Le Clos poked the tiger with all his bs in the ready room yesterday. Phelps did what he needed last night, lookout tonight. Phelps/Cseh/LeClos

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also very possible, I didn't even know people did that while racing the fly.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was joking, of course.... Le Clos will never stop looking around in the middle of his race..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure he increases his frontal area while turning his head sideways so he should also probably run a disc and he would do much better....wait......wrong sport. Are we still under the swimming-talk ban?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same training squad as Cseh....

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Phelps.....cause.......'Murica!

X2 -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phelps
I think he was motivated for the 200 fly coming after the 2012 loss. Now after last night I think he wants to lay a smack down.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Le Clos sets a world record if he stops looking around in the middle of the race ;-)

The way Phelps swam in the 4x100 and also the way LeClos bolted out in the 200m free, I am not better against anyway, but in all the hype in between those two, can one of the Hungarians squeek in for the silver and relegate one of those guys to bronze? This is going to be a great final tonite. I am biased and have a soft spot towards South African athletes. Real bummer than LeClos could not put Sun Yang away in the 200 free finals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone seems to think Phelps has been "tired" on the last 50. I think he's just done what he had to do and has been purposely taking it easy. He knows this is his last rodeo. You can be damn sure he's going to give it everything tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Watching the semis last night it seemed like Phelps made his statement dominating the first 150 meters and then packed it in a bit the last 50.

i think he's too competitive to "pack it in" intentionally when he's leading with <50m to go, semifinal or not. i think he was getting tired. however, i do think that if gold had been on the line, he might have found a bit more in the tank.

that said...while i'd love for him to win, i don't think it's gonna happen this time.

1. cseh
2. phelps
3. le clos
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't look like he eased up. He was tired. It looked the same at trials

However, today is a different day. I wouldn't bet against him, but for some reason I just like Le Clos. Le Clos isn't supposed to be a great freestyler, but he came away with a silver, even racing it "wrong".

I dunno who wins, but my prediction is 1st to 4th are separated by under 1 second..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
climber7 wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:

i think he's too competitive to "pack it in" intentionally when he's leading with <50m to go, semifinal or not. i think he was getting tired. however, i do think that if gold had been on the line, he might have found a bit more in the tank.

that said...while i'd love for him to win, i don't think it's gonna happen this time.

1. cseh
2. phelps
3. le clos

He's not packing it in, he's trying not burn too many matches for lack of a better term. He also shut it down in London in prelims at times

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So one data point could be a comparison of the times swam at last years WC in Russia (MP was serving a 6 month ban for the DUI and therefore did not attend... which was kind of BS... but I digress) and his times at the US Nats in San Antonio held at roughly the same time (August) where he had over half a second on Cseh's winning time. Given how focused his preparation has been since and what we saw in the relay.. so long as he and Bowman have nailed his taper, which we would hope they have after all these years of doing this... I am going to back MP for the gold tonight, followed by Cseh (S) and Le Clos (B) to round out podium.

Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
He's not packing it in, he's trying not burn too many matches for lack of a better term. He also shut it down in London in prelims at times

i knew what was meant, regardless of the term used. i just disagreed. agree to disagree, and i hope i'm wrong :)
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm rooting for the clean one. Which one is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I'm rooting for the clean one. Which one is that?

Well the "clean" one raced for China in the 200 free and got gold last night....fortunately he is not in this race. <Pink font>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're all clean. Can't help but be clean if you're in the pool all day...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who cares. It is guaranteed to be epic unless the announcers get in the way.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you're right but I am skeptical. Especially when you retire for 2 years and then unretire. Something tells me they don't test you after you retire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love that Cseh says "screw swim caps". It's hard to see anything else going on in the race when you are distracted by this shiny globe floating along the top of the water.
Quote Reply

Prev Next