Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
It has the downtube storage for a flat kit, bottle BTA, bottle behind the seat is all I need for 70.3 racing. Obviously YMMV, but for me it would be perfect for anything 70.3 or less, which is all I'd race anyway.

That's the smart person set up for LC racing. 2 bottles for fluids, hidden flat kit. That's 30% of the field, not your average AG athlete and the overwhelming majority of those set ups are at the pointy end of the overall field and within the AGs.

Yet at every 70.3 I've been to in the last few years, there are a ton of high end bikes set up to negate the advantages of those bikes, well all bikes.

In response to the bosses on the downtube post above, my educated guess is a round bottle on the downtube instead of that aero bottle causes a hefty increase in drag, except maybe in the smallest of sizes. Aero eyeballing though is somewhat difficult especially since I know there are bikes/frames where you can get away with a round bottle up to about a medium/55/56 with only a small penalty, say 2-3w, or in the smallest of smalls make it a watt to 3 faster.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i really dig what they did with this bike. if i was in the market id def give this bike a look.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
As a bonus it looks like it's also stock UCI legal based on the marketing. I'm guessing you'll have to pull the box off the bottom, hopefully they have something to fill the hole with.

I don't think there's a hole, I think the box is a stand-alone piece that's molded to fit around a fairly conventional airfoil-shaped downtube.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit, also noticed that sizes are interesting.... S/M and M/L appear to be the exact same frame with a different front end and different length seatpost. Eitherway, a integrated bike that can hit a long / low position is a win in my books!

Also seems to have an adjustable frontpost (also vertical a al Tririg). I think Cervelo gave TriRig quite a bit of trouble on the legal front. Wondering how things went here (whether Orbea licensed it or whether we'd see some legal action here).

Nice reach adjustment range!

https://www.orbea.com/...du-m20iltd/geometry/
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Oct 1, 20 21:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I like how this bike looks. It's sweet. For a straight up TT hells yeah!

Yet, I'm going to be the naysayer on this thread.

In today's tri world that's a TT bike or a sprint or oly tri bike, not a 70.3 for the masses, maybe the more discriminant STer, but not the avg triathlete and definitely not an IM focused bike. Orbea missed the mark on the LC segment, which is biggest segment of the market, at least the NA market.

It doesn't answer the questions around storage. Where to place bottles or food. Most triathletes are going to end up hanging stuff all over that bike negating many of the benefits they designed it for. You're seeing it's fastest iteration. A tiny aero downtube bottle, no bosses, no integrated aero neutral storage options.

The avg triathlete is going to make that bike the equivalent of a U-haul truck.

Does it look good? It sure does. Do you think it solves hydration& nutrition issues for IM racing?
very good points, but i dont think this bike is much different than something like the P5 Disc if you really think about it.

i think the addition of a top tube provision for a bento box would have been a good idea. unless im just missing it in the photos im not seeing one.

outside that i could easily make this bike work for 70.3. BTA bottle solution, downtube bottle and one behind the seat bottle full of calorie mix and id be good. thats 3 full hours worth of nutrition on the bike, completely bypassing aid stations. if youre an aid station kinda athlete i dont really see why one couldnt live off the land for a full distance.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
Also seems to have an adjustable frontpost (also vertical a al Tririg). I think Cervelo gave TriRig quite a bit of trouble on the legal front. Wondering how things went here (whether Orbea licensed it or whether we'd see some legal action here).

Given how the previous Ordu came with Tririg Omegas in stock configs, I'd speculate they've sorted it out well before the launch of this bike.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look like there are top tube bosses. THis picture seems high res enough that we should see it. So you might have to rivet your own.

damon.lebeouf wrote:

i think the addition of a top tube provision for a bento box would have been a good idea. unless im just missing it in the photos im not seeing one.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Oct 2, 20 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
It has the downtube storage for a flat kit, bottle BTA, bottle behind the seat is all I need for 70.3 racing. Obviously YMMV, but for me it would be perfect for anything 70.3 or less, which is all I'd race anyway.

That's the smart person set up for LC racing. 2 bottles for fluids, hidden flat kit. That's 30% of the field, not your average AG athlete and the overwhelming majority of those set ups are at the pointy end of the overall field and within the AGs.

Yet at every 70.3 I've been to in the last few years, there are a ton of high end bikes set up to negate the advantages of those bikes, well all bikes.

In response to the bosses on the downtube post above, my educated guess is a round bottle on the downtube instead of that aero bottle causes a hefty increase in drag, except maybe in the smallest of sizes. Aero eyeballing though is somewhat difficult especially since I know there are bikes/frames where you can get away with a round bottle up to about a medium/55/56 with only a small penalty, say 2-3w, or in the smallest of smalls make it a watt to 3 faster.

In general when I look at a bike in the 4+ range I want to see some type of integrated nutrition solution as part of the design. So Bento and some type of BTA solution.

With Cervelo on the new P-Series 105 model you get: downtube aero bottle, bento, BTS hook up. When I think back to my first 70.3, if I brought a second BTS Bottle I would not have stopped at a single aid station. I'm no FOPper. But When I think of endurance training I'd want to go fully kitted out for my training rides personally.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you would not want to have a bento box on this top tube its not designed for it .
if thats a good idea to design a tri bike like this is another question.
i think it is, but as somebody had said for many it is not.

bloodyshogun wrote:
Doesn't look like there are top tube bosses. THis picture seems high res enough that we should see it. So you might have to rivet your own.

damon.lebeouf wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you store nutrition and trash? Wasn't aware of any other option.

pk wrote:
if thats a good idea to design a tri bike like this is another question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-top pockets should provide ample storage for nutrition in addition to two bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, fair enough. I use a tri-suit with barefuly usable pockets. Can barely fit a single gel pack, so didn't think of that.

r-b wrote:
Tri-top pockets should provide ample storage for nutrition in addition to two bottles.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Oct 2, 20 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh.
It’s a no for me.
I rather have the Premier Tactical. At the 5k price point you get way more bike and it’s prob more aero or the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's a great looking bike, and kind of like that they designed it without a top tube box (at least in terms of aesthetics).

I don't do more than 70.3 so it would be great with BTA/BTS bottles. Jersey pockets are fine (for me) on longer rides for solid food or extra bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more. Great looking bike, but I'd rather carry my hydration where it's hidden from the wind (BTA+behind saddle) and easy to access without breaking aero. Would have been nice to see an integrated front hydration unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
bloodyshogun wrote:

Given how the previous Ordu came with Tririg Omegas in stock configs, I'd speculate they've sorted it out well before the launch of this bike.
I would have expected this also ... especially given that I showed Orbea the Alpha One a couple years ago when this bike was still in development. But Orbea chose to go their own route and develop their own bar without responding to our Alpha One demo or contacting us at all.

I just spoke at length with Orbea about this, because their website animation suggested they were possibly infringing on our patent. However, the Ordu bar does NOT have continuous tilt adjustment (although their animated graphics suggest otherwise). Instead, you disassemble the whole bar and you can put in a series of wedges to add tilt at discrete angles of 5, 10, or 15 degrees. In my mind, this is similar to how the Scott Plasma 6 shows continuous stack adjustment up and down but doesn't have it at all (and instead uses a cut-to-size post).

TriRig has always been, and remains, available to supply our hardware OEM, or to license our patents. Many customers and industry folks alike have come to see the value in our work. A prominent individual on this forum privately told me recently something to the effect of "You've solved aerobars, end of thread." I tend to agree. Sadly, some companies choose to invest in fancy/misleading animations, instead of actual functional technology.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
...you can put in a series of wedges to add tilt at discrete angles of 5, 10, or 15 degrees...

this to me (in my admittedly harsh worldview) means "no tilt, or extremely limited" and is a complete design failure IMO

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
bloodyshogun wrote:

damon.lebeouf wrote:

you would not want to have a bento box on this top tube its not designed for it .
if that's a good idea to design a tri bike like this is another question.

This is a very poorly thought out design. Orbea is last again...

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Exactly. It has a flat kit storage area but no food? Time trialists don't need flat kits. Boggles the mind.

Also, until I see 3rd party aero data, Orbea is not to be trusted on eyeball windtunnel alone...

Quote Reply
Re: Orbea Ordu 2021 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
pk wrote:
bloodyshogun wrote:

damon.lebeouf wrote:

if that's a good idea to design a tri bike like this is another question.

This is a very poorly thought out design. Orbea is last again...

i would think there is many who dont need a 5000 euro bento box . While the first ordu was really bad the 2nd version was according to one fussy guy,at least in an open air velodrome , as fast as his speed concept. So i do not think this bike is last, and i would think in the sub 5000 euro bikes category its very competetive.
in a way orbea,s design is simply fast ...
value for money i think the mechanical version so far its my favorite bike released this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
so far its my favorite bike released this year.

for what purpose?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
pk wrote:

for what purpose?

real world value.
and the knowledge that for myself storing nutriton in the front of my tri suit creates negative drag.
so any tri distance.

ps no bike so gave me the feeling i should change from my p4 ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
pk wrote:

for what purpose?

real world value.
and the knowledge that for myself storing nutriton in the front of my tri suit creates negative drag.
so any tri distance.

I’m all about negative drag, but I’m not keeping 2500kcal in my Tri suit. Design fail.

Again, what *purpose*? If I hear you right, you’re saying that you just want to look good on the way to the coffee shop.

Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 29, 20 4:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
pk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
pk wrote:

for what purpose?

real world value.
so any tri distance.

I’m all about negative drag, but I’m not keeping 2500kcal in my Tri suit. Design fail.

Again, what *purpose*? If I hear you right, you’re saying that you just want to look good on the way to the coffee shop.

did you test carrying 2500 kcaal in your tri suit? if not maybe you should test to have a evidence based answer for yourself rather than answering like a 3 year old no iam not doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:

damon.lebeouf wrote:

Looked through the Blue Paper on this bike this morning, hoping to see some provision for a bento or BTA bottle mount. Nothing there. That said, they do allow drilling of the headset cover for hard-mounting a SRAM blip-box on top. You may be able to hard-mount a small bento bag there, like an X-lab Stealth Pocket 200. That's assuming you're not running mechanical shifting, of course.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply

Prev Next