Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. I was just wondering if that was sarcasm or not. There are a lot of people here who will help you. There are a few that won't. Keep asking questions and we will try to help.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your bike looks very familiar.. where were you riding?
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Ok. I was just wondering if that was sarcasm or not. There are a lot of people here who will help you. There are a few that won't. Keep asking questions and we will try to help.

Yep I have already learned that. It's sad that you have some that will do their best to mislead and give you the wrong advice with intent of malice. I just put back my Cosmic Carbones. I have 25mm tires on a 18mm rim. Seems a bit huge for a thin rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 808s don't ride like you're going through mud and I don't think there's not a significant weight difference in the two wheels. Maybe the wheels need some bearing work? I'd find it odd that you'd notice those sorts of differences in the saddle on the sort of rides I imagine you doing between the two wheels. If anything you might notice the front end being a little more of a pain with an 80 vs. a 60 wheel, especially since you don't sound like an experienced bike handler... otherwise my 808s spin up as well as any 60 wheel I've ever ridden. I also tend to find Zipp hubs a bit flexy... but again just pedaling, accelerating, etc. isn't someplace I've ever noted 808s having issues.

The guy you tried to ride with sounds like a good rider, you sound like you need some more practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. How are you gonna take it when a guy on a mountain bike on his way to the trails passes you? :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
BryanD wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
"I'm not sure why you don't know this. Everyone knows that 808's and round tube frames cause an anti Kama tail design that causes turbulent flow and increases drag by a minimum of 12.19%. Explains everything that you are experiencing."

I called Zipp and they told me they never heard of such a thing you are describing above. Do you have any documentation or articles supporting this? I have seen plenty of 60mm dished rims on road bikes.

Are you joking?

I know very little about cycling so if JTtrig was being a smart A$$ then I guess I am gullible. People who don't have questions generally will most likely not find a reason to post threads. I am just trying to figure out the best methods for a road bike setup.

"RUNNING VS CYCLING TO KEEP LEGS GIRLY LOOKING
marathonrunner Jul 10, 17 17:00 Post #1 of 69
As a runner, I have always had girly legs and girls just go crazy over them. But I am finding out that cycling alone will result in legs that look like they are inflated to 100psi. Is there anyway to avoid this? I am thinking as long as I do not consume over 2000 calories a day and I spin an easy gear my legs will stay thin.

I think there is no substitute for running as it is the fastest way to get and stay in shape. Any suggestions? I normally run every morning and then at night I do a 25 mile ride. "
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
Fair enough. Do you race? I find that having to spin up the really deep rims gives me too muscular legs.

OP can't be having THAT. Haven't you heard? The chicks dig his "girly legs."

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Last edited by: Danno: Jul 26, 17 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So...what tires and tubes on each wheelset?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 26, 17 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he can drop you on his old, shallow wheels, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you did intervals in the morning and your legs felt sluggish on your ride? No wonder...... Didn't this occur to you?

Sure they are a little heavier than the 60mm wheels but you would possibly (maybe) only notice that under acceleration, and not when you get up to speed. You said you started getting tired after pulling for 2 min. That wasn't the wheels, that was you working harder not in a draft, and your morning workout taking its toll.

There is a reason and 808/disk is ran at the top triathlon levels and not something shallower (or whatever front wheel you prefer - HED, Enve, etc)
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Zipp 808s don't ride like you're going through mud and I don't think there's not a significant weight difference in the two wheels. Maybe the wheels need some bearing work? I'd find it odd that you'd notice those sorts of differences in the saddle on the sort of rides I imagine you doing between the two wheels. If anything you might notice the front end being a little more of a pain with an 80 vs. a 60 wheel, especially since you don't sound like an experienced bike handler... otherwise my 808s spin up as well as any 60 wheel I've ever ridden. I also tend to find Zipp hubs a bit flexy... but again just pedaling, accelerating, etc. isn't someplace I've ever noted 808s having issues.

The guy you tried to ride with sounds like a good rider, you sound like you need some more practice.

I am good on a flat and straight road but slow accelerating, not good at cornering, terrible on hills. My wheels spin forever and ever. I just give them a little nudge and they keep spinning and spinning and spinning and never stop.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Damn. How are you gonna take it when a guy on a mountain bike on his way to the trails passes you? :D

lol...or how about a woman with a beach bike and a basket...yikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Those 808's are the worst thing you could ever put on your road bike. Tell you what, I'll give you $200 for them, just to get them out of your way so you can get back to being the fastest muppet on the MUP.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Grand prix 4000 AND I am not sure about the tubes. I used to use the side wall color tubed GP4000 but got a lot of side flats. The chile or whatever you call that are much better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Grand prix 4000 AND I am not sure about the tubes. I used to use the side wall color tubed GP4000 but got a lot of side flats. The chile or whatever you call that are much better

Same on both?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
So you did intervals in the morning and your legs felt sluggish on your ride? No wonder...... Didn't this occur to you?

Sure they are a little heavier than the 60mm wheels but you would possibly (maybe) only notice that under acceleration, and not when you get up to speed. You said you started getting tired after pulling for 2 min. That wasn't the wheels, that was you working harder not in a draft, and your morning workout taking its toll.

There is a reason and 808/disk is ran at the top triathlon levels and not something shallower (or whatever front wheel you prefer - HED, Enve, etc)

I do agree the intervals were tough in the morning. Actually our coach had us doing 1000m and we did 7 sets of them so by afternoon that could have affected my energy level. Had I rested 2 days which I really need to just take time off because I run 6 days a week, usually 8 to 10 miles a day, 6 if I am pressed for time. Cycling is a day to day decision and some days I don't ride at all if I am too busy.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see if I can just rest for two days no nothing, I think I could handle the hills much better. We are talking very gentle mini rolling hills and if you seen what they looked like bet many here would laugh.

But I switched back to the Carbone's based on the advice of Zipp who told me the 808's are really designed for a bigger rider who has longer legs and can produce higher watts. So in theory I can probably push 24mph on a flat but won't be able to hold it very long. My Trek Speed Concept, I got Zipp SC9 disc in rear and with the 808 in front I can do 24.3mph literally for miles on end unless there is a hill or moderate wind. I can do the same with the road bike but can't maintain 24.3. I am more like 21mph on the road bike. The weird thing about my Speed Concept, doing 25mph seems soooo much harder and more tiring. I can't believe 3/4 of a mph can be that much of a difference. With the 24.3mph I can spin a easy gear and reach that speed but to go 25mph I have to choose a higher more difficult gear that is draining.

Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
BryanD wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
"I'm not sure why you don't know this. Everyone knows that 808's and round tube frames cause an anti Kama tail design that causes turbulent flow and increases drag by a minimum of 12.19%. Explains everything that you are experiencing."

I called Zipp and they told me they never heard of such a thing you are describing above. Do you have any documentation or articles supporting this? I have seen plenty of 60mm dished rims on road bikes.

Are you joking?

I know very little about cycling so if JTtrig was being a smart A$$ then I guess I am gullible. People who don't have questions generally will most likely not find a reason to post threads. I am just trying to figure out the best methods for a road bike setup.

As a runner, I have always had girly legs and girls just go crazy over them. But I am finding out that cycling alone will result in legs that look like they are inflated to 100psi. Is there anyway to avoid this? I am thinking as long as I do not consume over 2000 calories a day and I spin an easy gear my legs will stay thin.

I think there is no substitute for running as it is the fastest way to get and stay in shape. Any suggestions? I normally run every morning and then at night I do a 25 mile ride. "

JT I am going to put you on the ignore list so I won't have to see your posts. Please grow up. If you want to contribute fine but if you are going to mock and make fun of just to be a jerk, then please go someplace else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I looked back at the old Tour tests and lo and behold, 808's have an almost identical moment of inertia to the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR.

So what you are saying is that you felt the bike was sluggish because of the roughly 100g of extra total wheel weight of the Zipps.
The Mavic rear hub is lighter, that is all.
Perception bias rules your brain in this case.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
So I looked back at the old Tour tests and lo and behold, 808's have an almost identical moment of inertia to the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR.

So what you are saying is that you felt the bike was sluggish because of the roughly 100g of extra total wheel weight of the Zipps.
The Mavic rear hub is lighter, that is all.
Perception bias rules your brain in this case.

I am not so sure about that. I can feel the difference and it is huge. I wouldn't have swapped out the wheels and brake pads if it was very close
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
BryanD wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:

Are you joking?

JT I am going to put you on the ignore list so I won't have to see your posts. Please grow up. If you want to contribute fine but if you are going to mock and make fun of just to be a jerk, then please go someplace else.

I don't see any genuine questions or motivations in your posting. Just a bunch of shit about how you look, how the ladies go crazy, tooling around a path on 10k bikes, etc etc. Being blocked by a troll is pretty funny. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Your roadbike setup looks like a mtbike setup. Your bars are higher than your seat?

2. Page 3 and nobody has pointed out the overwhelming dooshi-ness of riding balls out on a bike path?
Bike paths are for children, rollerbladers, and moms with strollers. A cyclist who rides a bike path like he's attacking off the front of the TdF is not a serious cyclist. He's just a dooshy public hazard who likes showing off on a bike path.
Last edited by: spookini: Jul 26, 17 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
Wow that is insane. The 808's seem to require the legs of the hulk to get moving quickly. I am sure there are guys with lots of watts that can make these wheels go fast, but I don't have the leg strength. I primarily am a runner and not a cyclist and not to say runners can't be good cyclists, but for me at least I don't have a lot of leg strength to spin a deep wheel set

This one was my favorite. Sorry, dude, but this is total nonsense. Should have been pink. I've ridden 808s a few times on my road bike and they worked fabulously well, and none of this "couldn't spin them up", "lack the leg strength", "not hulk" crap applies.

But continue, by all means, please, continue!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
I wouldn't use this forum to gain accurate information. There are many better resources.

Triathlon Zen Master level reply right there. Muy bueno. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
1. Your roadbike setup looks like a mtbike setup. Your bars are higher than your seat?

2. Page 3 and nobody has pointed out the overwhelming dooshi-ness of riding balls out on a bike path?
Bike paths are for children, rollerbladers, and moms with strollers. A cyclist who rides a bike path like he's attacking off the front of the TdF is not a serious cyclist. He's just a dooshy public hazard who likes showing off on a bike path.

I agree and I do not ride fast on bike trails because of all the hazards. But this guy I sometimes ride with says he loves to practice cornering but he is foolish for racing into a blind corner. I have seen people on rollarblades going in the wrong lane, people walking in the wrong lane, kids stopped tieing shoes etc..

My bars are below my seat but not by much. Maybe I should have gotton a smaller frame.
Quote Reply
Re: On my Road bike me and my Zipp 808's got dropped by a guy on 60mm Cosmic Carbones [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
marathonrunner wrote:
Wow that is insane. The 808's seem to require the legs of the hulk to get moving quickly. I am sure there are guys with lots of watts that can make these wheels go fast, but I don't have the leg strength. I primarily am a runner and not a cyclist and not to say runners can't be good cyclists, but for me at least I don't have a lot of leg strength to spin a deep wheel set

This one was my favorite. Sorry, dude, but this is total nonsense. Should have been pink. I've ridden 808s a few times on my road bike and they worked fabulously well, and none of this "couldn't spin them up", "lack the leg strength", "not hulk" crap applies.

But continue, by all means, please, continue!

-Eric

Eric, I run everyday and to ride on the same day I run, I do think the running takes a lot out of me inspite of the fact it's been longer than 4 hours and recovered.

Today I went out and didn't run this morning but felt sluggish and tired. The one thing I did notice right off the bat, the handling through corners was definitely more precise and sharp. acceleration was also more crisp, hills were easier. The one thing I did notice, once I got up to speed it was hard to hold it. So I will say the 808's as tired as I was the previous day, once I got up to 23 to 24mph it felt like I was going slower. Today 20.5mph seemed so hard.
Quote Reply

Prev Next