Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread
Quote | Reply
It certainly seems like this is going to be the next "big thing" so I figure it is worthy of it's own official thread. Please chime in with any info, new releases, discussion, or questions.

Pearl Izumi Octane Tri Suit
Available $300

Fusion Speed Suit
April 2014 Release $200

Fusion Speed Top
Available $125

Castelli T1 Stealth Top
Available $150

Castelli Body Paint SR Tri Suit SS
Available $280

Castelli Free Sanremo Suit SS
Available $230

Skinfit Tri Suit Streamliner
$350 Available

Scody JP Optimise A.I.R Triathlon Speedsuit
$300

Past Threads:
Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit
Castelli T1 Stealth and Pearl Izumi Octane Tri Suit
Short sleeve tri suit
Dirk Bocke'ls Pearl Izumi suit in Melbourne
Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions
The tri skin suit that Luke McKenzie used at Kona??
Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Apr 12, 14 7:07
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, very useful compilation. Have to say I've never been crazy about the sleeveless look so happy to hear that sleeves are more aero!

I'd be curious to know if the 2-piece San Remo suits have any significant penalty over one piece suits. For long course racing I'm not crazy about wrestling with a 1-piece if I have to use the bathroom. I timed myself with an old road skinsuit and it looked like about 20 seconds penalty each to roll down and back up, so 40 seconds total. Even if you pee on the bike there's no guarantee you won't be in the porta potty in the race at some point or another.

Will be great to get feedback and testing on these suits & others over time, seems like a lot of info posted about the Octane but not too much about other options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the last size medium Castelli Free Sanremo SS from Swimoutlet.com. Thanks for the reminder! Looks like they have many of the other sizes in stock.

Looking forward to seeing how I like it compared to my PI Octane.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Thanks, very useful compilation. Have to say I've never been crazy about the sleeveless look so happy to hear that sleeves are more aero!

I'd be curious to know if the 2-piece San Remo suits have any significant penalty over one piece suits. For long course racing I'm not crazy about wrestling with a 1-piece if I have to use the bathroom. I timed myself with an old road skinsuit and it looked like about 20 seconds penalty each to roll down and back up, so 40 seconds total. Even if you pee on the bike there's no guarantee you won't be in the porta potty in the race at some point or another.

Will be great to get feedback and testing on these suits & others over time, seems like a lot of info posted about the Octane but not too much about other options.

Check out the Sanremo SS suit. The zipper goes all the way down which should make potty breaks much easier. I wore my PI Octane at IMFL and it wasn't that hard to get off but you still had to pull it down and off both arms to get access to your dingus. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm confused, I thought that was a 2 piece suit. Will look into it, thanks. "Dingus", now there's a word I haven't heard in a while, LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me know how the size medium fits in relation to whatever else you have...curious on sizing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The horror of imagining that Skinfit suit on 90% of the triathlon population is mind-blowing.

It may be the one sure-fire way of stopping people from drafting off of you, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
The horror of imagining that Skinfit suit on 90% of the triathlon population is mind-blowing.

It may be the one sure-fire way of stopping people from drafting off of you, though.

Butt... the ones that would look the worst in a skinfit suit will provide the most draft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few other "aero inspired" one piece suits - the are sleeveless - that I think should still be considered.

LG Tri Course
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...E6NDpjY0NhdDEwMDM0Mg

Castelli Free Sanremo Suit
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...6ODpjYXN0ZWxsaSB0cmk

I think the sleeved thing might be a little over blown. According to some convos with others.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what are the real benefits to going sleeved? I've got a Kiwami Amphibian right now, what would be the benefit of going to something like the Body Paint?

Is it faster on the bike? in the water? cooler on the run? I've missed the conversation completely so I'm just curious why sleeves are the next big thing.

Does all of this emphasis on arm sleeves suggest that manufacturer's might want to at least consider developing calf sleeves that are specifically engineered for aerodynamic, rather than compressive, qualities?

I mean, aren't lower legs way bigger than arms?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jack, have you tried the Castelli Aero Race 5.0 Jersey? I was wondering if you had any thought on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The picture of the Castelli Body Paint SR Tri Suit SS suggests that the suit is two piece. Is that correct? What I am really look for is an aero top that can be worn under a wetsuit. I really don't like one piece suits except for up to the Olympic distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rpeterson wrote:
So what are the real benefits to going sleeved? I've got a Kiwami Amphibian right now, what would be the benefit of going to something like the Body Paint?

Is it faster on the bike? in the water? cooler on the run? I've missed the conversation completely so I'm just curious why sleeves are the next big thing.

The sleeved suits test faster *most* of the time in the tunnel on *most* of the people.

I don't know whether or not sleeves test better than sleeveless on me but I can 100% guarantee that it tests way better in the sunburn department. I like the sleeved tops/suits for the sun protection more than anything else. If they're also better from an aero standpoint that's great too.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Apr 12, 14 5:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
The picture of the Castelli Body Paint SR Tri Suit SS suggests that the suit is two piece. Is that correct? What I am really look for is an aero top that can be worn under a wetsuit. I really don't like one piece suits except for up to the Olympic distance.

They look like a two piece but it's really one piece. The zipper part is like a flap if that makes sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do they do in the water compared to a sleeveless?

rpeterson wrote:
How do they do in the water compared to a sleeveless?

I've only wore a sleeved top under a wetsuit so I can't say. I'd like to add sleeves are illegal in Ironman/WTC races without wetsuit. Perfectly legal per USAT though.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Apr 11, 14 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would these be legal to swim in in a no wetsuit race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the dilemma of figuring out if they are legal last year as I've always preferred to race with sleeves. Like GMAN said, it's legal in USAT events, even where wetsuits are not legal. However, also like GMAN said, it was explained to me that WTC/Ironman races do not allow sleeves if the race is not race suit legal. This was straight from the Ironman official. On the other hand, I LOVE the idea of some new tri suits with sleeves, I've been waiting for a while for some nice ones to come out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not legal in the water for non wetsuit.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [str8himalaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Illegal as per ITU

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I think I'll stick to my Kiwami for another season at least. Thanks.

Scody
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't, but I actually will have one fairly shortly I believe. I post back up on the fit after a couple rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Sleeved/Aero Tri Suit Thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Added
Quote Reply

Prev Next