Prev Next
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printing now.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You the man! PM when it's all done so we can chat shipping and your compensation.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
You the man! PM when it's all done so we can chat shipping and your compensation.

You *are* going to keep updating this thread, right?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, yes, for sure. Once I get the 3D piece, I will do some testing to confirm everything lines up nicely.

Then, the next step is to find a CNC shop to cut the final product out of alloy.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Lol, yes, for sure. Once I get the 3D piece, I will do some testing to confirm everything lines up nicely.

Then, the next step is to find a CNC shop to cut the final product out of alloy.

/like

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/like x2

Out of curiosity which 3d printer are you using? I have a Prusa i3. Got it after building a Mars rover replica and fruitless attempts to find just the correct mounting hardware for the controller, battery, camera, solar charger, etc.... then realization set in: it'd be a piece of cake if I could make the pieces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep me in the loop. Very interested!
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For this I used a Flashforge Replicator. Its a clone of a Makerbot Replicator 1.

Anyway, parts printed. I'll upload a picture shortly.

Strava
Last edited by: gmh39: Nov 28, 17 6:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very excited. Count me in on buying one of these sunzabitches. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may have missed something...is that top hole going to be clear to accommodate a centerpull brake like a tririg? And the two lower holes will be for mounting hardware only? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [beavertriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea was the one who designed it, so I'm not sure. My assumption was that yhere is supposed to be a 4th hole for mounting a brake caliper.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookay, wanted to share some updates. First off, huge thanks to gmh39 for printing the adapter. Really, very appreciate you're help.

The original idea was to just run 3 holes, with the upper hole lining up the brake caliper and the upper frame hole. It does line up very well, however, the tire/caliper clearance is extremely tight. But not too shabby for the 1st prototype.

Some photos below of the fitting.

[url=https://ibb.co/kk00Kb][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/jDNrQG][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/daDy5G][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/fT3LKb][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/gubkkG][/url]

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. Let me know if you want to do another iteration.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice progress. In the first couple pics it looks like there is a machine screw thru the 3rd (top) hole, mounting the adapter to the frame. In the other photos it looks like the brake bolt goes thru that hole, so I assume the machine screw was removed and nothing is attaching the top of the arch to the frame once the brake is installed. Is this correct? Just want to make sure I understand the assembly.

Also, do you think there’s room for a 3D printed fairing over the whole thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very interested in either buying a finished article or having one made. The fact you've added a magura brake was the clincher for me.
Such a niche product but the rear braking on my p4 is woeful
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is correct. My original goal was to use the top hole for the brake caliper, but also have a smaller support bolt going into the frame. Although I could still make that work, the tire clearance is too tight for my liking.
Version 2.0 will have a 4th hole at the top exclusively for the caliper, with the original 3 holes bolting directly into the frame.

Yes, I think a full fairing could work. My plan, at the moment, is to dremel the current P4 fairing to fit around the brake caliper. This will cover the internal wires as well as the chain stays where the original brake arms are located. Then, I may get the rear P5 Magura cover and somehow hack that to fit over the brake and, again, somehow fuse with the P4 cover. Not super elegant but just the first thought in my head.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!

I’m assuming a tririg would fit there too right? I’m not familiar at all with maguras.
Last edited by: beavertriathlon: Dec 8, 17 5:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [beavertriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, TriRig should work as well. I'll try to borrow one from someone once I get version 2.0 built out to confirm.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subscribed. looks like a needed mod.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You win. Count me in. I want one of those things!

TAKE MY MONEY!!!! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One question for you. How much clearance do you have now? Are you are able to put the same sized wheel as before? The P4 is tight. I don't want it to be any more narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With this first interaction, tire clearance is certainly smaller. So I don't want that to happen.

Version 2.0 will spacer the caliper further away to have the same clearance as a stock P4.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job sir!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
With this first interaction, tire clearance is certainly smaller. So I don't want that to happen.

Version 2.0 will spacer the caliper further away to have the same clearance as a stock P4.

Great stuff here. I am having all kinds of head ache with my (new to me) P4 and am hoping to piggyback off your project. Status update?
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Great stuff here. I am having all kinds of head ache with my (new to me) P4 and am hoping to piggyback off your project. Status update?

For you? No. You're too fast. You must live with crappy braking.

But really... took a bit time off for the holidays, but am working on version 2 with a CAD buddy of mine. Will redesign to increase tire clearance and better pad/brake track alignment.
I'll have the CAD file done this week and just need to get it off and 3D printed.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next