Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be interested... let us know how your testing goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [al-gorithm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My final version is done and installed. I have 1 race and 3 other training rides on it, and it has functioned perfectly.

I am printing out another copy to send to a friend who will install his TriRig. I will put together a little how to video, as well.

I personally feel the 3D plastic design is strong enough to work. I do not think think the aluminum version is needed. But certainly willing to hear other people’s opinion on that.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I buy two from you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gut says don’t use the printed plastic. Even if it’s strong enough initially, its fatigue and aging properties are relatively unknown and probably poor. The consequences of a brake ripping off are pretty high, so let’s not do that!

Could you make a video/picture for us: on a trainer, lock up the rear brake and stand on the forward pedal. Cycle your weight on and off a few times while videoing the brake adapter from the side to see if/how much it flexes away from the frame. It might not be a lot, so lighting and optics might be tricky, but worth a shot.

Thanks for your work on this project. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while, but never find the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Can I buy two from you?

Printing off a few more now and should have them later this week.
I’m looking at $50 shipped each.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll try to get a video up this week. We’ll see how much flex my 145 pound self can create.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you printing them out of?

I have recently been printing aerobar risers out of ColorFabb XT-CF20. It's an incredible product.

More here:
https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/thoughts-about-new-carbon-fiber-filament-colorfabb

The structural capabilities surpass any of the other carbon infused filament I have used/seen except the MarkForged direct injector.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM me and I'll send you payment. You don't know how excited I am if this works and I can replace that useless brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long have you been using the risers for? This could be the material I need for some angled risers for my aerobars.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ABS plastic, because that’s what the 3D printer I have access to uses.

I’m all for making stronger and better versions. I’m just here to get the ball rolling. You definitely know way more from a technical aspect than I do.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe 200 miles? I printed them with 100% infill, other than where the bolts go through (on Ventus II bars). They are indestructible (but also only 30mm)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brakes are you going to use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:

I personally feel the 3D plastic design is strong enough to work. I do not think think the aluminum version is needed. But certainly willing to hear other people’s opinion on that.

Strongly disagree!!! At least it’s just a rear brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex,

Any update on the back brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, sorry for the delayed response on this thread. Have been swamped with year end approaching at work.

I have a handful printed out and available for sale.

Shoot me a PM and we can coordinate payment and shipping.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got Kiley's P4 at my shop, and started tinkering with the BB area.

It does not appear sensible to try to mount the brake directly to the frame as I had intended. The space there simply is not large enough to make it work.

New plan is to utilize a 8mm thick chunk of carbon to build the U shape, mounting to the 3 existing bolts. Then bolt the Tririg direct-mount adapter to the carbon plate, so as to spread the load to all 3 mount bolts, rather than focusing all of the brake vs. wheel torque on the front one. Honestly that mount point is probably plenty strong, but why not add the ability to have a direct mount there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are you using the Omega SV to mount directly to your u-shaped plate? Or is your u-shaped plate going to have the 2 direct mount holes? Thereinby using the u-shaped plate, the TriRig direct mount adapter, then the Omega X brake?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U shaped plate will have the 3 holes to mount to the Cervelo inserts, plus 2 direct mount holes with flanged rivet nuts inserted.

Like this:

That will leave ~9mm of good threads for the Tririg adapter plate to bolt into when using an Alpha X, and Kiley will have several options including Magura RT's or Shimano direct mount if he wants to swap out brakes later. That said, the Tririg is probably the most aero option here, and doesn't seem to have a down side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart. I like your style.

But just make sure Kiley knows that he will only have the 2nd coolest P4 on the interwebs.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this work because I find it interesting, and carbon fiber owns my soul.

But IMO Kiley should buy a size 48 P5 for cheap and throw the P4 away. Its a great flat land TT machine, but the P5 is better in every way once you throw out the Aduro bars.

The issue for Kiley has always been about getting low enough, but since the P5 in 48cm is the same stack/reach as a small Omni, I dont see a reason to continue down this path. At least not with these frames approaching $2000, brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
U shaped plate will have the 3 holes to mount to the Cervelo inserts, plus 2 direct mount holes with flanged rivet nuts inserted.

Like this:

That will leave ~9mm of good threads for the Tririg adapter plate to bolt into when using an Alpha X, and Kiley will have several options including Magura RT's or Shimano direct mount if he wants to swap out brakes later. That said, the Tririg is probably the most aero option here, and doesn't seem to have a down side.

I've received Alex' widget and ordered an Omega, which should be here in a week or so. If it fits (i.e if the bracket is wide enough for a DM adapter), I'm going to rip of your idea and drill some holes for rivets like that.

OT but I uninstalled my OEM brakes, and omigod I don't understand how I rode with those for so long. That's a singularly piece of bad engineering; in software we call shit like that 'premature optimization': you optimize shit you think is going to be slow, come up with design that doesn't really fit the rest of the system, and then in the end it turns out your major bottlenecks were somewhere else to begin with. But now you're stuck with an ugly wart on your design.

Besides badly engineered the brake was also rusted out, but that's on me for not properly cleaning the BB area. My excuse is that the fairing makes it 'out of sight is out of mind', and also that the fairing collects all matter of crap dripping down the frame (sweat, gatorade).

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys! Any updates on use/abuse of the adapters? I'm building up a new-to-me P4 and am not happy with the OEM brakes, very interested in how these are working for you all.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [wthecoyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had great use of mine so far, no issues. Used it with aluminum and carbon wheels, both worked great.
Have descended some steep climbs, and again, no issues.

I have mounted and un-mounted my brake many times and see no signs of wear.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next