Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: October Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
#weak

At least stick around and do the 50 back with me. :)

Fuck it...

Just signed up for the 1500.

This will probably end badly.

Hold my beer and watch this!! I love it!!
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4600 yds this morning w/ 1000 & 100 TTs at the end.

1000 - 13:29 (1:21/100)
100 - 1:03

Will do upper Z2 10 mile jog here in a little bit.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're looking on the national site? Those are wrong.

You need to look on the swim nova scotia page for the correct records.

http://swimnovascotia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Masters-SC-Records-as-of-May-24-2017.pdf

I've got the 50. Hell, my 50 fly is faster than Wade's 50 free, he was no sprinter...but... Wade did a 19:21 and change for the 1500 If I was in good swim shape, no problem, But right now, who knows... I've been training, just not a lot of pool time. It won't be a walk in the park...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the eff isn't the national site right??

At least you don't have to contend with the 18:38 he did here in 40-44. No way i could do 19:21 right now.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday: 9 mi run w/ speed, 4.5 mi bike
Sunday: 40.5 mi bike
Monday: 8 mi easy run (70:59), 1775 yd swim

2 x [5 x 100 on 1:30 + 50 kick]
3 x 150 on 2:15
200 swim
25 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday: slogged through a 15 mile long run. Hopefully that was our last hot and humid day this year.

Sunday: Planned for a 40-50 mile ride on the TT bike (first time on it since April) and a quick 2 mile run. Ended up with just 25 miles on the bike as a cold front hit before it was supposed to. I was happy to get home rubber side down, it was quite sketchy with sideways rain/wind. I though my bike was going to get blown / slip right out from under me.

Today:
4850 yds. Main set 3x (7x50, 1x350)

Will do easy 6-7 mile run at lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 30 mins on the bike this morning at o-dark thirty and 5 miles run at lunch!

holy shit, I might become a tri-geek again...

To keep on topic of the thread, I hope to be swimming tonight at masters. Gotta prep for the 1500. No swimming over the weekend, since I was busy building a playset in the backyard for 2 days. all the components of the main structure are completed, hopefully I'll get 'er done next weekend.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice job on the workouts!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been swimming mostly in the ocean lately. I'm in the middle of moving into a new place and so training is a bit off. But, the ocean is still reasonably warm (66-68) requiring no wetsuit for swims around an hour, if swam hard, which I have. This weekend, we had a special guest swimmer, Jenny Leigh Smith, from Tennessee, who is out here to take on the Catalina Channel (20 some miles). She's a pretty fast swimmer and has crossed the English Channel earlier this year. She starts tonight and will swim much of it in the dark. Conditions are very favorable for a fast swim.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She starts tonight and will swim much of it in the dark. Conditions are very favorable for a fast swim. //

Well if she is really fast and the conditions are favorable, she will likely swim it all in the dark. Standard starting times for the crossing is around 11 to 11;30PM. So if you can go around 9 hours you will finish just after sunrise, which is a very magical time for OW swimmers. There has been a pretty good swell running the last week, might be a bit of a problem out in the channel, but you just never know till you are out there what it is going to be like. Pick a date and time then cross your fingers!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's cool! I hope she has a great swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

To keep on topic of the thread, I hope to be swimming tonight at masters. Gotta prep for the 1500. No swimming over the weekend, since I was busy building a playset in the backyard for 2 days. all the components of the main structure are completed, hopefully I'll get 'er done next weekend.

WTF is going on? the real fish on this thread are turning into tri geeks too!!!
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

When I was out at Moxie's with my wife on a much needed date night on Sat, we were seated next to a bunch of triathletes. I know they were triathletes because that's all they freakin' talked about, all night!!

I'll probably meet them at some point next season, maybe..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Hi Dev,

sorry to hear life has been even tougher for you lately. Having to close an office down is just a horrible experience. Good luck with the startup :-)

Congrats on the 1000km and go smash that 1000m TT. Let me know the time and as you once said to me: "embrace the hurt" !!

I'm not swimming at the moment as I seem to have damaged the extensor tendons on my forearm. This also means I can concentrate on my bike legs, which is what I should be working on anyway. I'll be doing some of your leg burning intervals this week!

OK, I have a report to share.

The last 3 weeks or so, I have been doing this set as 2x500m

Each 500 is five times one hundred as 25 fly sprint head down breathing every 4 strokes+25 m free sprint+25 m kick on my back recovery+25 m super easy 2 beat catch up and then launch immediately into the next 100.

Basically all summer, I did not look at times once. Just went by feel/perceived exertion and not doing any fixed sets, but doing a lot of things to focus on my form. My problem is that when I chase the clock I can't stop myself from going into World Championship race mode. If there is a clock, I'm on full throttle. There is literally no in between. This is both an asset for competition (especially when you are young), but also a great way to blow yourself apart/burn out/get injured, if you can't stop yourself. So I use "measurements" very sparingly. I think this comes from my mentality of liking exams or tests or races. Basically I bury myself competing with myself.

So anyway finally after something like 5 months I looked at the pace clock and did 400 as 4x[50fly-50free]. I felt that after the summer I should break 7 minutes just because of slightly better form in my fly. To break 7 min, need to do 1:45's. I peaked at the clock at 100m and was at 1:40....I was kind of really surprised. The next three were 1:43 and came in at 6:49! I kind of suprised myself and my turns totally still suck due to a mini spasm of my left leg which forces me into a halt literally to properly place my left foot on the wall before push off....if not, it will come down on the "twisted ankle" position on the wall as I have difficulty controlling my dorsiflex.

In any case I am thinking if i can mange 1:47 doing this 10x then sub 18 for the 1000m fly-free is in reach. Now I have to do a few sessions of 2x400m of this to dial in the pacing/perceived exertion before I try to my break my personal world record of 18:34. Let's see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

When I was out at Moxie's with my wife on a much needed date night on Sat, we were seated next to a bunch of triathletes. I know they were triathletes because that's all they freakin' talked about, all night!!

I'll probably meet them at some point next season, maybe..

At the rate you are going, by next year's date nite, your wife will kick you off the date nite table and banish you to the trigeek table and you can talk transition splits, aero gear, Mdot tattoos, whining about WTC and Messick, how awesome your FTP is and how slow your ran in your last race because you never over bike nor over swim. That should cover it to get to the full transformation!
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's her tracker link if you're (or anyone else is) interested:
https://track.rs/jennyswims/

She's figuring on 10 hours with decent conditions

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10.5 mi run 91:12
1300 yd swim easy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 straight in 25yd pool (as bad as treadmill running) in 40:08

My channel swimmer friend is nearly done. At one point she was on track for a 9:40, but has now slowed in these last few miles. I suspect, because the winds have kicked up here, she may be battling white caps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd she do?

No more running for me the rest of the week. I was pretty tired at masters last night, probably 3-4 secs per 100 slower than I should have been. Rest of the week is mini-taper.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I apologize for not participating much in this thread. October has literally been the culmination of perhaps the most miserable year of my life. This month I closed down our office and gave everyone their termination letters and then gave myself my own and before and after that I have been going nuts investor/venture capitalist meetings to try to get a new startup off the ground. I keep telling myself that everything has to come down before new opportunities can be born, so I am trying to keep a glass half full perspective on life, and the pool has been my saviour.

Dev, I am sorry for the hard times.. good luck with the startup, the VCs are nuts if they don't see how hard you can work..

only swimming the past six weeks, tore a calf muscle and it is not healing, won't even let me ride the bike.
Interestingly swimming 4x a week instead of once, times drop for about 4 weeks then stabilize at a new normal. So to get faster I guess I'll need more than 7-8000 yards/wk..

anyway did 4x400IM scy as 7:14,7:11,7:02,7:03 the last two are my fastest ever. Hm. 6:30 seems a good tough goal for one 400IM..

100scy is down to 1:04 with a push. I need to sneak in sometime when the lifeguards aren't watching so I can use the start blocks and try for sub-1..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
How'd she do?

Looks to me like an 11:03, though I can't be sure. Have not seen a post yet of her final time. She swam very true to her intended straight route - 20 miles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!

7.3 mi run 58:07 w/ 1 mi @ 8:00, some tenths easy, 1 mi @ 7:53, some tenths easy, 4 mi @ 7:47
400 yd shakeout swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like an 11:03, though I can't be sure. Have not seen a post yet of her final time. She swam very true to her intended straight route - 20 miles.

Well if she was on 9;40 pace with a few miles left, then that was a torturous last hour and a half. And I know how it can get there, if you miss you tide window it flips on you and it is swimming into an endless pool. One of my buddies I crewed for was looking at doing around 9 flat or under, had horrendous conditions that night and it pushed him out an hour. The last 200 yards took about 12 minutes, and if it was going to be any longer he might not have made it for hours. We had to have him actually sprint to make headway against the current towards the end, needless to say he didn't like that after swimming in a washing machine all night..

Give us a recap when you get one...And nice 3k swim in the pool there, looks like another 39+ min for this years postal??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn that is hardcore! I can't even imagine!

Tuesday:
1 hr trainer endurance ride with 8x20" @ 200% FTP spread throughout
6.6 mile easy run at lunch

Today:
I'm racing a sprint this weekend so knocked out long run this morning.
15 mi in 1:58, pretty even splits
4250 yds at lunch
MS: 2x (8x125 decend pace & decreasing rest, 350 pull recovery)
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Give us a recap when you get one...And nice 3k swim in the pool there, looks like another 39+ min for this years postal??

She hasn't recapped much and I don't know if she's one to spew the details, but her FB paragraph:
Quote:
Eureka! Catalina Channel was lively. Unofficial time 10:45. WHALES,pods of the most chatty dolphins (curious about glowsticks), and Large rays. Water temperature started at 67F than dropped & stayed 63F. My crew was amazing, Jax & Courtney were kick a** kayakers, Russ & Lionel kept me fed & the biggest swim fans I ever had, And unplanned & serendipitously I had family on the Magician! As only a loving relative would scrape Channel grease off my body... so grateful To have you on this swim, Debbie Alexander & Larry Hostetler And I appreciate all the positive vibes, well wishes, because it kept me going through the long night swimming! Love and Hugs to everyone.

Short video nearing the mainland: https://www.facebook.com/...s/10212270163482730/
Don't know if the pics or video will work for public viewing. Whatever, I tried.

Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Oct 25, 17 14:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next