Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: October Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize for not participating much in this thread. October has literally been the culmination of perhaps the most miserable year of my life. This month I closed down our office and gave everyone their termination letters and then gave myself my own and before and after that I have been going nuts investor/venture capitalist meetings to try to get a new startup off the ground. I keep telling myself that everything has to come down before new opportunities can be born, so I am trying to keep a glass half full perspective on life, and the pool has been my saviour. I have used this time to both connect with my thoughts and stresses and also disconnect.

But early in October, I did some math and it occurred to me that if I just kept going to the pool and not let everything falling down around me get in the way and use the pool as a source of meditation and stress minimization, I could have the "dual objective" of actually getting to 1000 km for the year on Ironman Hawaii weekend. For 33 years since I did my first tri, this weekend has been the biggest athletic weekend for me....most times as a fan, 3 times as an athlete.....so I thought that if I just swam every day 60-90 minutes and only had a few days off, then I could hit the magic 1000 km

Friday came around and I was at 993 km and I had a college reunion on the weekend too, so I had to squeeze in an early Sat AM 3K swim leaving 4 km for Sunday evening when I got home. After a night of partying and not much sleep with old friends and a long drive home, normal humans would not do exercise, but I can't change my DNA of being objective driven and hauled myself to the pool and got a touch over 4000m done.

But keeping with my focus for the year, none of my swimming this year as been mindless meters. Almost every workout I am going hard at some point in all strokes and ended Sunday with 400m Fly-Free as 25m fly sprint-25m fly recovery-25mfree sprint-25m free recovery and repeated that continuously for 400m to get over the 1000 km. Mainly I have gotten to the point that I can actually kind of recover from a fly sprint by just winding it down and taking the ooomph off the pace a touch. I told myself that once I get over 1000 km for the year, I would give the 1000m fly-free TT (as {50/50} x 10) another go (I did it in the spring). Also want to give the 200 fly a go.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev - sorry to hear all you're going through. That has to be extremely tough. Way to stick at it in the pool, you are killing it there and it is most definitely helping you get through this low point in your life. Things will trend up for you very soon!
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welp, looks like Dr Tigerchick is the only one keeping this thread going! I'll try and do better too.

Still on my run block, hitting 50 mpw for 3 straight weeks. Took a lighter week last week at just under 40 before starting to ramp my swimming and cycling back up this week in addition to still keeping my run volume high.

The trainerroad full IM plan started today for me. 12 weeks of base, 8 weeks of build then 8 weeks of specialty leading into IMTX. So it was FTP test today. I didn't have high expectations because I haven't been cycling much, and got killed by my cycling team just Sunday when I did make it out for a group ride. FTP ended up at 287w or 3.6w/kg, which I'm pretty happy with for a starting point considering.

Swam 3k yesterday for recovery from Sunday's hard ride
500 swim w/fins
500 pull - paddles, buoy, band
200 - kick w/fins down, swim back
9x200 pull - paddles, buoy, band
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Welp, looks like Dr Tigerchick is the only one keeping this thread going! I'll try and do better too.

Still on my run block, hitting 50 mpw for 3 straight weeks. Took a lighter week last week at just under 40 before starting to ramp my swimming and cycling back up this week in addition to still keeping my run volume high.

The trainerroad full IM plan started today for me. 12 weeks of base, 8 weeks of build then 8 weeks of specialty leading into IMTX. So it was FTP test today. I didn't have high expectations because I haven't been cycling much, and got killed by my cycling team just Sunday when I did make it out for a group ride. FTP ended up at 287w or 3.6w/kg, which I'm pretty happy with for a starting point considering.

Swam 3k yesterday for recovery from Sunday's hard ride
500 swim w/fins
500 pull - paddles, buoy, band
200 - kick w/fins down, swim back
9x200 pull - paddles, buoy, band

I think in a sport where the toy factor is nearly nil (or you can buy all toys for the sport for under $100 vs under $10,000 on the bike), with the above workout, you have officially won the ST toy king status award for the month. It's easy to win the toy king status on the bike....in the pool, you just set the high bar. I get grief from real swimmers on even putting on fins for some of my dolphin kick sets....they are ab and lung busters but still get grief! Thanks for the cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha!!!! I normally only leave the toys for the warmup or rest sets, but I was in bad shape yesterday so pulling with toys it was!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Ha!!!! I normally only leave the toys for the warmup or rest sets, but I was in bad shape yesterday so pulling with toys it was!

Next swim go large paddles, no buoy, ankle band and you are forgiven by the real fish....no real fish will look down on us "triathletes" for that type of toy usage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes sir. I'm on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry things have been rough for you, dev.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, ankle band only is great. Shreds your lats.

7 mi run 8:48, 8:12, 5 mi @ 8:06
1500 yd swim

500 w/u 7:07
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
4 x 100 odds fast 1:13s

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3000 SCM this morning - best i've felt in the pool in quite a while.

600 WU
3 x (
100 IM
200 pull
8x25 all out
100 IM
50 ez kick)

Then I threw in a fast 50 back to get an idea of what to use as a seed time for a masters meet in a a couple of weeks. I really suck at back - turnover is so slow and I don't know how to speed it up. Focusing on rotation seems to help but back has been a mystery for me ever since I was a kid.
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lead with your shoulders....

I'm probably gonna skip the meet, swimming has been so inconsistent for me. if I do go it will be to swim the 50 free and that's it....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lead with your shoulders....

I'm probably gonna skip the meet, swimming has been so inconsistent for me. if I do go it will be to swim the 50 free and that's it....

I can virtually send you an extra 500 km of swimming since that would leave me with >500 km in my log this year and you can just pretend that you swam more and convince yourself, since all that extra swimming is not doing that much to make me a better swimmer (although it is doing a lot for my sanity).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Hi Dev,

sorry to hear life has been even tougher for you lately. Having to close an office down is just a horrible experience. Good luck with the startup :-)

Congrats on the 1000km and go smash that 1000m TT. Let me know the time and as you once said to me: "embrace the hurt" !!

I'm not swimming at the moment as I seem to have damaged the extensor tendons on my forearm. This also means I can concentrate on my bike legs, which is what I should be working on anyway. I'll be doing some of your leg burning intervals this week!

It is kind of pathetic to train for 1000km for a 1 km "event" that no other idiot other than yourself "competes in". The benchmark "world record M50-54 time" is 18:34, but for the entire summer I have been chickening out even timing 100m or 50/50 or 400m of 50/50, although I have been doing them mainly trying to work on form for both strokes.

Glad to see you are embracing the burn on the bike.....this morning I changed my facebook profile to a picture from a ride to the Summit of Stelvio in Italy at 9000 ft....and in the caption said something like, "looking forward to biking like that again"...that day is not today, so I a guess I will embrace the hurt in the 1000m TT while you embrace the hurt on the bike! How did you hurt the forearm? I assume you can run too?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the forearm. :( Tearing it up on the bike in the meantime is definitely a good idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#weak

At least stick around and do the 50 back with me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run w/ 1.25 + 3.5 mi @ 7:13 pace
1675 yd swim

400 w/u
50 kick
4 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
2 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:25
25 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slept late. 4.2 mi easy run 36:07, 975 yd swim (straight 13.5 minutes), 6 mi bike

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Oct 19, 17 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wedesday
10 mile run with 3 continuous @ tempo - 6:06, 6:15, 6:11. Would like to make those more consistent over the next couple of weeks
3300 swim

Today
1 hr trainer ride with 45 min continuos tempo @ 80-85% of FTP
5 mile easy recovery run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
#weak

Fuck it...

Just signed up for the 1500.

This will probably end badly.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
#weak

Fuck it...

Holy.

Have fun with that. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 SCM this morning. Bunch of IM stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
#weak

Fuck it...

Holy.

Have fun with that. :)

It's the only NS 45-49 freestyle record that I don't currently own. Wade's got it. I seeded myself at 0.01 under wades record :-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wade's got the 50 and Mike Brown the 1500 is what I see? You shouldn't have any trouble with that 1500 time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 mi run, 800 yd swim (775 swim + 25 kick)

Quote Reply

Prev Next