Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No Alcohol January 2024
Quote | Reply
Well, Hello there Everyone!

Greetings from DC!

Itā€™s that time of year, where I come back to the forum to put on my coaching hat for the next month and change. As always, Iā€™m here to offer up my personal anecdotes to help those of you on the fence to participate to opt in, and to also air my grievances up front (hey isnā€™t there another challenge here that does thatā€¦?).

I did the math, and 2024 will mark a decade of Dry Januarys for me. Theyā€™ve all looked slightly different over the years, but thereā€™s one way this one will be far different than the others. Iā€™m proud to say that Iā€™ve been able to do it with enthusiasm for so long, and the years definitely got easier as time went by. Some of that was muscle memory, some of that was easy January goings-on and recently a LOT of that had to do with all of YOU who helped keep me accountable. So, thank you!

If youā€™ve been following along on the forum you know that one of my biggest challenges during this month has been being married to a person who absolutely did not participate in this month. It always caused a lot of stress, seeing things from a cleaned lens from the outside looking in for this period. And no amount of pleading, encouraging, etc could move that needle with either him or his family. Alcohol-fueled and alcohol-involved episodes escalated to the point where I found my threshold. Actually my threshold pressed hard into my ribs, squeezing the air out of me. So, I left.

Itā€™s been an interesting year. Iā€™ve lived mostly by my standards of drinking which Iā€™ve established here over the years- never drinking alone, choosing which days to partake based on rest days, quality over quantity, etc. So, it was an adventure for me. I discovered amazing wines before symphonies, had beer than never tasted so good after the Wednesday Night Hammerfest, and achieved a state of zen-like calm and buzzed-like joy that I hadnā€™t experienced in a long time without feeling any "need" to drink. Therapy probably also helped tremendously with that last part. But, here I am, ready to blow the whistle at midnight on Monday morning and start this challenge for us again.

This time, Iā€™ve got behind the scenes reinforcements. Shock of shocks, Iā€™ve met someone who also not only does Dry January, but also Dry February, and Dry March. Itā€™ll be interesting having someone be the angel on my shoulder for a change! I donā€™t plan to make it through March, but I will attempt to go until at least my birthday at the beginning of that month (which will also be a combined ā€œJubilation Dayā€ party).

So, whoā€™s in?
Let's start the year off on the right foot, in control of one of our controllables and investing in ourselves early on.

One of the main success points that we have every year is the teamwork and camaraderie. We all cheer each other on, either publicly in this thread or privately through our DMs. I'm grateful that it's the one time of year that we can all put our differences aside (Blumie vs Sam Long, Cervelo vs Specialized, etc) and do something good for ourselves.

If you're playing along for the first time, or are just now coming out of your post-holiday fog and need a refresher, here's how this goes:

1. I'll be posting a check-in here every day throughout January. Feel free to read along, nod silently in agreement, or check in yourself for accountability. If you don't feel comfortable checking in publicly, I offer you my personal pompoms and private message inbox every day you need it.

2. Take this extra time to tune into your body. We all love data- keep track of your resting HR and HRV, hours slept, quality of sleep, how many chocolate chips you snarfed because you're missing your after dinner ritual, and how well you're otherwise staying hydrated. There are lots more metrics too, so share with the class what you're experiencing!

3. The goal of this month is to evaluate your relationship with alcohol. Some people will come into this thread to tell us that drinking is wrong and gross and we're awful humans for enjoying a nice single barrel bourbon every so often (come on, this IS the ST forum after all), but many others will share inspiring stories about their sobriety and encourage us to fulfill our promise to ourselves this month and potentially beyond. And, several of us will also discuss our favorite beverage of choice- the one that gets us through this month, and the one we're looking forward to after this period ends. Quality over quantity is a common theme here.

4. If you manage to succeed in staying dry for 31 days, that's 8.5% of your year spent sober. Woohoo! And if you follow my trajectory, it'll be 62 days dry to kick off the year!

Are you ready? Let's goooooo!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Post deleted by dewee750 [ In reply to ]
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I donā€™t drink alcohol but I will join and give up my precious Mary Jane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In. Again.

Thanks again for doing this and sharing your plight. Sounds like you will be better off and happier. I wish you well.

As for me, I have kept off 18 of the 20 pounds I lost with last year's kick-off! So, I've figured out my diet but I still have work to do on my relationship with alcohol. Looking forward to this year's challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In again for 2024. Last year was my first and it stretched well past January and led to me being the fittest Iā€™ve ever been in my life. Hereā€™s to another dry January and even better fitness leading into my first season of 70.3 racing.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [dewee750] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewee750 wrote:
Iā€™m in for the first time. Looking forward to it.

YESSSSS! You won't regret it! My advice to the newcomer-

Lean on us when it gets hard.

Lean IN on yourself to really figure out the why and how of your relationship with alcohol. We have some key words that we'll bust out over the month like "witching hour" and you'll know exactly what we mean.

Make your own journal for the month either here or offline. Pair it with your watch data. It's pretty damn fascinating.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [SlowSmooth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlowSmooth wrote:
I donā€™t drink alcohol but I will join and give up my precious Mary Jane

That counts for something! Let's go!!!

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
In. Again.

Thanks again for doing this and sharing your plight. Sounds like you will be better off and happier. I wish you well.

As for me, I have kept off 18 of the 20 pounds I lost with last year's kick-off! So, I've figured out my diet but I still have work to do on my relationship with alcohol. Looking forward to this year's challenge.

You are very sweet, thank you. I am definitely WAY safer, happier, and mostly saner.

And I'm SO PROUD OF YOU for keeping that kettlebell off of you! Let's get after it again!

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
In again for 2024. Last year was my first and it stretched well past January and led to me being the fittest Iā€™ve ever been in my life. Hereā€™s to another dry January and even better fitness leading into my first season of 70.3 racing.

WAY TO GO! I'm excited for you to dive into long course racing!

Last year, in the midst of the hurricane, I had the best tri season of my life. Top 10 AG in nationally acclaimed road races, broke tapes, qualified for IM 70.3 worlds again, and looked freaking stunning in the process because I was in the best shape of my life. I'm so ready to feel that way again after this annual reset.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

In fact, I'm looking to stop drinking well beyond January.

I love red wine, but every time I have a glass it just wrecks my sleep and recovery. I find myself awake around 3-4am and my HRV drops about 6pts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doc, thanks for hosting again this year, you are an inspiration. 2023 was my first Dry January and it went well. As you suggested, it's a good opportunity to consider one's relationship with alcohol. I am in for 2024!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in too. Got a bit of an early start after Christmas.

Done this the past few years and it's a great way to drop some weight. I also seem to put in my best power numbers in late January/early February after a month booze free. Likely going to extend beyond January as well. Thanks for putting this together!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are some big changes! Congrats on taking a huge (and scary I'm sure!) step forward!

I'm in again and planning to go until at least mid-February when we go away for a family vacation. I feel like I got to a point this past year where having a couple drinks at night became the rule rather than the exception, and I don't want that to be the case anymore. I've also put on a few pounds and I'm making a concerted effort to shed the weight and get back to an overall healthier lifestyle in 2024.

It's always nice to know there's a group to commiserate with when things get difficult!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyRy wrote:
I'm in.

In fact, I'm looking to stop drinking well beyond January.

I love red wine, but every time I have a glass it just wrecks my sleep and recovery. I find myself awake around 3-4am and my HRV drops about 6pts.

Stop being my twin šŸ˜œ

I have fallen in love with some serious French wines over the past year, but good lord they did a number on my sleep. I'm glad that symphony season and triathlon season don't really overlap.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irezumi wrote:
Doc, thanks for hosting again this year, you are an inspiration. 2023 was my first Dry January and it went well. As you suggested, it's a good opportunity to consider one's relationship with alcohol. I am in for 2024!

YES! Welcome back! Year two gets WAY easier!

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
I'm in too. Got a bit of an early start after Christmas.

Done this the past few years and it's a great way to drop some weight. I also seem to put in my best power numbers in late January/early February after a month booze free. Likely going to extend beyond January as well. Thanks for putting this together!

Woohoo! Jealous of your early start! I had already planned on partaking on NYE so it just looks like a normal week here otherwise.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Those are some big changes! Congrats on taking a huge (and scary I'm sure!) step forward!

I'm in again and planning to go until at least mid-February when we go away for a family vacation. I feel like I got to a point this past year where having a couple drinks at night became the rule rather than the exception, and I don't want that to be the case anymore. I've also put on a few pounds and I'm making a concerted effort to shed the weight and get back to an overall healthier lifestyle in 2024.

It's always nice to know there's a group to commiserate with when things get difficult!

Thank you! It's felt like a leap this year, which has been fun and scary.

And for those who are on the fence- THIS RIGHT HERE is the number one reason I've seen people join. It's changed lives on the back end of this.

You've got this!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am IN !

Used to do this years ago might as well start again
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
I am IN !

Used to do this years ago might as well start again

YES! Welcome! Youā€™ve got this!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again. This will be year 3. Or maybe 4? Thanks for your leadership and cheerleading on this. And, like you, this year will be the 1st for me to Dryuary with a partner - my spouse. I convinced her to do it with me, no separation/ new partner required! But best wishes and good vibes to you on your significant life change!

Getting some nice champagne for NYE and then... I'll see how far I get after the 1st month...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to all.

I stopped drinking beer in 1992 when I was 27 (because I never really liked it...but was peer pressured into drinking in my time in the military because back then a "man had to handle his alcohol"....whatever stupidity that meant). After this I still would have some wine on special occaissions and for biz dinners and then I started to travel a lot for work and saw the destruction it was causing to peoples' careers (when you do lots of long haul travel to Asia and Europe and dine and wine out for biz dinners and have to do four cities in four nights with flights in between and jetlag and keep performing or get axed), I realized that I would not be able to keep up the pace required to perform in my work if alcohol was part of the equation and just telling customers and peers, "I don't drink" took alway all pressures. So not had a drop since 2002 currently 58 and thankful I made that investment in my health and biz performance.

I know its a bit extreme, but it was easy as I never enjoyed more than a glass of orange juice and was larely partaking for peer pressure purposes. I realize that my scenario of not really liking the taste is not a common one, but for those who got in for peer pressure, you can just tell people they need a sober person to drive them around. Best of luck to all. If you want to go on the alcohol free endless Jan, you won't regret it.

For me the switch flipped during a biz dinner in Tokyo. I realized it was a competive advantage if everyone got inebriated (even in a mild way) and I had all my wits around me and I could get the upper hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Le ditto, to all of the above.

I'm in! And looking forward to it. I've been looking forward to it for the last six weeks -- my husband has even been buying low-sugar ginger beer and kombucha to help me get ready (bless). This is all complicated, however, by the fact that he's teaching a literal WINE EDUCATION CLASS next semester that's sponsored by a local wine store. Meaning: every Tuesday from mid-January until May there will be at least two -- if not four -- mostly full bottles of wine arriving in my house, awaiting drinking.

But, I'll be fine.

Last year was my first Dry January and I sailed through, thanks in no small part to this community. And, in fact, I cumulatively did about 4 months without drinking in 2023. While it wasn't consecutive, Dry January definitely showed me not only how often I was drinking but how it is detrimentally affecting my training, rest, recovery, and general well-being. With that in mind, I'm hoping to make it well into February this year.

All that said: my birthday is January 2nd and I have family traveling all the way from California to here in Miami to celebrate with me, so I will be joining this challenge on January 3rd. ;)

Ā”Dale!

[what Yoda said about trying]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in for this third (succesful) year :) Thank Cupcake for taking this on again!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2024 [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I'm in again. This will be year 3. Or maybe 4? Thanks for your leadership and cheerleading on this. And, like you, this year will be the 1st for me to Dryuary with a partner - my spouse. I convinced her to do it with me, no separation/ new partner required! But best wishes and good vibes to you on your significant life change!

Getting some nice champagne for NYE and then... I'll see how far I get after the 1st month...

Woohoo! Accountabilabuddies are the best!

NYE will be fun here too...and then nose to the grindstone!

Quote Reply

Prev Next