Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
I met her after her 2007 IMFL win. She could not have been nicer. I have spoke with her several times since then and she is a sweet heart.

Just watched the final minutes of Ironman Louisville. It was absolutely awesome watching Nina Kraft run up and down the finishers chute to help bring in the last finishers.
Wow. That's just good PR. Way to go Nina!!
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
A 2-year ban is not enough to discourage athletes from rolling the dice.

In case you've not been paying attention the 1st year ban is going to 4 years.

Still not enough in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
She doped 10 years ago, openly admitted her cheating, and served her time. So...?

When someone is a doper, and then does something that is out of the norm, a logical conclusion is that they are likely still doping.

I think doping should be a lifetime ban. I am too lazy to get into all the reasons why, but in my book once a doper, always a doper - with rare exceptions.

There are way too many great athletes that have never been caught for doping (and hopefully have never doped) for me to support or think at all positively about those that have doped.
Last edited by: The Guardian: Aug 24, 14 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she is no longer doping then good for her, but at a minimum people should know about her doping past and make their own decision about her performance. I personally think that she should be allowed to compete, but not for a prize or a ranking.
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
Replying to thread in general.

Can we get a list of dopers we are supposed to hate? Because I'm confused. Lance we need to hate. Michi Weiss we need to hate. Lisa H again hate. But Nina Kraft we are cool with? Am I missing anyone?

Kevin Moats, but I've read you can hate him for drafting in addition to the other.
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have any of you people who pile on to the dopers ever played a serious team sport? I played soccer in college and it was extremely competitive and you cheat whenever you can to get an advantage on the field...get caught you serve your time and move on. I had dozens of yellow cards and a few red cards but i was able to get inside other teams heads and piss them off to the point where i had a serious advantage, am i allowed to stomp guys feet, no, but if the ref does not see it never happened. A family member played D1 football and the coach wanted him to put on 20 lbs one off season and said do what you need to do, he ran some cycles and boom he was back on the starting squad. That is how sports work, its a game and the people who take the most risks win. I am not supporting doping but i also don't care, take the risk and suffer the consequences if you are caught.

Edit:

I remember a conversation i had with my father ( nuro-radiologist/Full Prof) who argues it's stupid not to allow endurance athletes the use of EPO since they are naturally suppressing their EPO levels on the daily basis. He said the same for T therapy and a wide range of other hormones. This was in response to the TDF which in his opinion is putting such a huge stress on the body you should allow the riders the full medical spectrum of recovery aids. He just laughs when endurance sports are so closed to the idea of any medical advancement being used in the sport but all the new gear and technology is fine.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Aug 24, 14 23:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its high time we had a system where a drugs cheat could be banned for life. Its mocking the very essence of sport that drugs cheat come back and win.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with many posts that it's toughh to look past the doping infringement. I LOVE the fact triathletes call out dopers who win after returning to competition Nd that slowtwitch does too. As many others no doubt do, I follow cycling and after the pain it's gone through, I'd rather be hard line against dopers.
Last edited by: RizzaNZ: Aug 25, 14 2:29
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
I remember a conversation i had with my father ( nuro-radiologist/Full Prof) who argues it's stupid not to allow endurance athletes the use of EPO since they are naturally suppressing their EPO levels on the daily basis. He said the same for T therapy and a wide range of other hormones. This was in response to the TDF which in his opinion is putting such a huge stress on the body you should allow the riders the full medical spectrum of recovery aids. He just laughs when endurance sports are so closed to the idea of any medical advancement being used in the sport but all the new gear and technology is fine.

This is a really good point. However, I think the flaw in this logic is that these substances aren't banned because of their inherent benefits, but because they are dangerous, right? That's a question, not an assertion. I don't know enough about PEDs to argue either side...
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anitan1 wrote:
-Mike- wrote:

This is a really good point. However, I think the flaw in this logic is that these substances aren't banned because of their inherent benefits, but because they are dangerous, right? That's a question, not an assertion. I don't know enough about PEDs to argue either side...

Dangerous to who? If someone else wants to damage their body, who cares.

Now, it is proven contact sports are dangerous for concussions. Under the dangerous logic, we really should stop all these sports since it IS proven it can mess your brain up.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
anitan1 wrote:
-Mike- wrote:

Dangerous to who? If someone else wants to damage their body, who cares.

Now, it is proven contact sports are dangerous for concussions. Under the dangerous logic, we really should stop all these sports since it IS proven it can mess your brain up.

We limit many things in society that are dangerous to ourselves so I don't see why taking drugs in sports should be exempt.

One big problem with allowing PEDs in sport is where to draw the line when it comes to youth and junior sports. How far down in age would it be allowed and how would you regulate it? Kids seeing their sport heroes openly and freely take drugs to perform would at some point want to do the same, and to legitimize a drug taking culture amongst the youth will probably not lead to good things for society at large either. As someone said earlier, public shaming is a big deterrent to these things so openly showing it's not accepted is important imo.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Aug 25, 14 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [RizzaNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of drug cheats, does anyone on this board know what happened to Rebecca Keat's case. She was banned for 2 years after testing positive but later she tried to sue hammer saying that it was their product that caused the positive test? Nothing public was made known and my guess is that there was a settlement

Somehow people overlooked her incident and she seemed to be able to compete without too much hassle from the general public. Same can be said for that Dutch guy, can;t remember his name now but he has retired?

Nina, Michael Weiss and Liza H seemed to be bearing the heat from everyone else...

I do support longer term bans for drug cheats but i just noticed some get away with it from the public while others don;t for whatever reason?
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
BMANX wrote:
Post 13

Quote:
She used a banned substance to win = CHEAT

I believe the point JasonInHalifax is trying to make is this:

Clearly you feel that out of all triathlon rules that exist, using banned substances are in a league of their own and deserve special penalties such as lifetime bans. Fair enough.

The question then becomes, what length of penalty is appropriate for each banned substance. I think he was legitimately asking you for your opinion.

Is any banned substance worthy of a lifetime ban? Should some be lifetime, while others are finite lengths? What about in-competition versus out-of-competition testing? Accidental ingestion versus deliberate? If you are caught with a substance in one sport, does the ban transfer to other sports?

There are many things to take into consideration, simply saying "banned subtances = cheating = lifetime ban" is pretty vague and I think he was just asking for details.

That's pretty much the gist of what I was getting at. PED = cheating = lifetime ban is a stupidly simplistic way of looking at it, when there are other modes of cheating that have as much or greater benefit to the cheater, are potentially just as harmful to the cheater or the one being cheated, but no-one is calling for lifetime bans for drafters. And yeah, there are plenty of serial drafters who benefit from it every time they race... Just that PED's seem to be this extra special super taboo form of cheating.

Not to mention all of the different things that one could test positive for. If I take a Sudafed, then I don't think anyone here would reasonably say that I should be banned for life. What if I have a life-threatening medical condition which, for a short while, requires that I take EPO as part of the treatment? Should I be banned for life from a sport I enjoy if my health recovers? What if I drank too much coffee in the 1980's and tested positive for caffeine back then, should that be a lifetime ban even though caffeine is no longer on the list?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
BMANX wrote:
Any wins after her EPO admission should have an "*" next to them. I personally believe that once you cheat in a sport you should not be allowed to complete in that sport ever again.

So you don't believe once one served their penalty, that they should be allowed to race? Curious to how you view crime. If one shoplifts, should one never be allowed to shop again? What if one get's caught speeding. Should license be pulled forever? What about a college kid that gets a MPI, should they never be allowed to touch alcohol again? etc. etc.

Why are you making these stupid comparisons?
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
A 2-year ban is not enough to discourage athletes from rolling the dice.

In case you've not been paying attention the 1st year ban is going to 4 years.

Still not enough in my opinion.

I think 4 years is enough initially and I will explain why. Second round should be lifetime.

There are a many of reasons I can live with 4 years. First of all, kids are not that smart about the ways of the world and will do anything a coach tells them to do to make it "big time". I can see a young kid being shoved the dope by his coach saying this is the final step that gets him there and its safe, everyone is doing it and he should too. Parents are equally stupid and if coach tells a kid that this is the ticket to the NFL or superstar sprinting, then next thing you know the kid is on it. As a coach of teenagers, some of them fairly elite athletes, these kids will do whatever I say. For example in the junior races in the Coupe de France Nordic skiing, the kids are not allowed to use the high florocarbon waxes which make the racing like night and day, but can be $200 per application. Then it becomes "up the coach" if his kids are ski "doped" or not. The kids will use whatever the coach says. I am not sure how they exactly police that in France. Here in Canada and the US, we allow them to use the best wax they can get. Go to the high school races, and the kids have exactly the same stuff at they have in the Olympics.

If we recall, Olympic 100m sprint finalist Ray Stewart who later became a Jamaican coach was banned for from coaching for trafficking steroids, "Hey kids, I was the first Jamaican under 10 seconds, this is how it is still done....get on the program". There are a lot of vulnerable teens and young adults who end up doping this way. They are under the spell of their coach.

They deserve a ban, but I think 4 years is enough to learn the lesson.

For adult athletes, who dope, 4 years is an entire Olympic cycle, and far enough away from your last palmares, that you likely won't get a protour contract, you won't get a Barclay's Premier League contract (if FIFA was actually serious...let's see the first FIFA EPO/Steroid/HGH bust....remember the infamous championship Juventus squads winning all over Europe at the peak of the Bjarne Riis EPO era...) and you won't get to start a triathlon as a pro for at least a year without re earning your pro license. For older athletes, it can kill a career. Women's triathlon is "so much less competitive in depth and there are so many IM races, that you can win one when 46, but that won't happen on the men's side. Also women pro triathletes are generally 30-50 lbs lighter than the men, and run slower, which prolongs their careers. The larger men (you need to be bigger to compete as a pro man to be fast enough on the bike) break down a lot earlier than women. For a pro male caught doping at 34, he's only looking at coming back at 39. His career is going to be over and will need to find a way to at least generate revenue for 5 years.

I've met Nina personally several times, and been in the same races shortly after her ban was lifted. She returned much slower than her former "Nina the Machina" self. I am inclined to believe that she is truly sorry for her time doping, is racing clean, racing much slower and frankly not competitive on the global scale. If Mirinda Carfrae showed up at Louisville, and Nina did this exact same performance we would have zero discussion because she would be way off the back. Just because no one fast showed up, now we're having "the doper won" discussion. Last year, Nina was 7 minutes slower, was 4th, and essentially had the same performance on much less current. No one said anything. The hate is on right now because no one faster than her showed up.

I feel there is more overall hate for her here than Natasha Badmann probably has today.
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said.

I would modify that slightly though, in that second bust should, IMO, be lifetime from "pro" ranks, maybe 6-8 years from Age Group. If they want to come back and just race for fun in their later years, I don't have a problem with that. AG competition is ultimately just about personal acheivement anyway (IMO), there's no real money or glory in it, so why not?

It's like the Lance thing referred to above, he isn't even allowed to compete at a masters meet. I bet a lot of folks would have liked to have seen where they stack up against him, I know I would have.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
Have any of you people who pile on to the dopers ever played a serious team sport? I played soccer in college and it was extremely competitive and you cheat whenever you can to get an advantage on the field...get caught you serve your time and move on. I had dozens of yellow cards and a few red cards but i was able to get inside other teams heads and piss them off to the point where i had a serious advantage, am i allowed to stomp guys feet, no, but if the ref does not see it never happened. A family member played D1 football and the coach wanted him to put on 20 lbs one off season and said do what you need to do, he ran some cycles and boom he was back on the starting squad. That is how sports work, its a game and the people who take the most risks win. I am not supporting doping but i also don't care, take the risk and suffer the consequences if you are caught.

Edit:

This is an interesting statement by your father (an outside) but the exact reasoning why protour cyclists have been doped since 1905...the event places insane demands on them that are not natural. I remember when the FIS Tour de Ski was set up and and thinking "these stages are a joke....I could get all my 14 year olds, to do every stage one the same day and they would get through fine". And I think that was exactly the point. Not that skiers are not doped but they set up the racing so it was possible to do it clean and recover and race the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
[qu
That's pretty much the gist of what I was getting at. PED = cheating = lifetime ban is a stupidly simplistic way of looking at it, when there are other modes of cheating that have as much or greater benefit to the cheater, are potentially just as harmful to the cheater or the one being cheated, but no-one is calling for lifetime bans for drafters. And yeah, there are plenty of serial drafters who benefit from it every time they race... Just that PED's seem to be this extra special super taboo form of cheating.

Not to mention all of the different things that one could test positive for. If I take a Sudafed, then I don't think anyone here would reasonably say that I should be banned for life. What if I have a life-threatening medical condition which, for a short while, requires that I take EPO as part of the treatment? Should I be banned for life from a sport I enjoy if my health recovers? What if I drank too much coffee in the 1980's and tested positive for caffeine back then, should that be a lifetime ban even though caffeine is no longer on the list?

My stance against PEDs has nothing to do with safety. It is simply a variable that I feel should be controlled when people play sport. Sport is, in large part, about comparing oneself to everyone else. There are a ton of things that make one better than another, but we have generally decided that drugs should not be one of them. Accordingly, if someone does not want to play by those rules they should not get the chance to compete.

I have no problem with increasing bans for drafters. I think drafters suck. The problem is that it is a lot more likely that someone drafts by mistake than someone takes PEDs by mistake. It is almost impossible to inadvertently test positive for caffeine.

So if you take stuff like HGH, EPO, ACAIR, steriods, testosterone, masking agents, or fail a bio passport you get a lifetime ban. We do we want people that would go to such lengths in sport?
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why lifetime for first offence though? See dev's post, he pretty much echos my thoughts.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He just laughs when endurance sports are so closed to the" idea of any medical advancement being used in the sport but all the new gear and technology is fine"

I kind of like the doping angle in sport. What makes the greats great is their willingness to do ANYTHING to win.....new gear, technology, training harder or drugs. Beat down Test, move to EPO and hGH.....Beat down on EPO move to Gene Therapy. Like it or not drugs are here to stay.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:

Edit:

Glad you don't coach kids....hopefully.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
why lifetime for first offence though? See dev's post, he pretty much echos my thoughts.

There is merit to his argument. However, for me, doping is serious enough, and easy enough to get away with, that one shouldn't get a free pass because they were young or dumb.

As I said before, there are so many excellent and clean athletes that follow the rules, that I feel ok being merciless with the ones that don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

There is merit to his argument. However, for me, doping is serious enough, and easy enough to get away with, that one shouldn't get a free pass because they were young or dumb.

As I said before, there are so many excellent and clean athletes that follow the rules, that I feel ok being merciless with the ones that don't.

Well, no-one is advocating that. 4 years out of competition is a REALLY long time...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are still stuck in the fantasy that the authorities have a pretty foolproof method for catching cheaters. False positives are possible as well as sabotage and innocent mistakes. Plus the stricter the penalties and the fewer people cheat, the greater the benefit to those who do it and get away with it. Life time bans don't solve the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Nina Kraft wins IMKY at 46. [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was just unnecessary for him to bring it up. It is not ironic just his agenda. She doped in 2004, paid the price, served the penalty. He did not have to bring it up nor do you. Do you really believe no one deserves a second chance? Especially from 10 years ago? If so, pity your newborn twins for the life lessons you will bestow on them

Really, you are going to bring my kids into your very weak argument? Like i thought, you do not have the irony gene, and no where do I or Timothy say she should not have been allowed to race. But go ahead and make up some more shit that we did not say to brown nose your way into Nina's heart. And for the record, teaching my kids lessons in not cheating the first place, and accepting responsibility for your actions in life, will be life lessons that I will be proud to show them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next