Prev Next
Re: New Cervelo Coming [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
nickvas wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
elcartelduco wrote:
diamond like frame...!

Cool; most frames are diamond-like in terms of their shaping. That's great info. Real cool.

must be made of carbon or something...

i assumed he meant a beam-bike. y'know, "Dimond like"

Cervelo could probably make a cool beam bike

Yeah, I read that as 'Dimond' like; some are so quick to jump on people's perceived errors :-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
I can only hope for a P5 Evo, with upgrades available for current owners. Like a brand new fork/bar combo with clean storage solution. I managed to adapt the Torhans bottle using the hack, but it's nowhere as clean/useful as the solutions that are coming out now. If they can come up with a drag-neutral downtube storage, then it's done. unfortunately they wouldn't be able to add a drag box behind the seat.

I can only hope....

That would be a sensible approach. Leave the frame alone and tweak the fork/cockpit while offering an integrated hydration and bento solution up front (like the Rafael/Plasma 5/Cube/Canyon/etc) and perhaps a purpose-built frame bottle for a flat kit... or perhaps they could do what Trek did with the "2 pack" behind the seat solution but refine it a bit further. There's aero to be had by putting a boat tail back there.

All told they could probably pick up 5 watts over the current P5 or 20 seconds per 40km. Maybe 30 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you are waiting on a new Shiv but could a new Shiv possibly beat a new P5/6 considering how there's not that much drag left on table? I guess we will have to wait and see. All of the bikes are converging unless you get a Dimond or Ventum

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 12, 15 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
considering how there's not that much drag left on table?

I think people have been saying that since the 90's
Last edited by: trail: Oct 12, 15 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that was kind of a dumb statement on my part. Engineers are always looking for marginal gains no matter what product it is. I love Cervelo but I am excited to see what Specialized can come out with

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 12, 15 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
nickvas wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
elcartelduco wrote:
diamond like frame...!

Cool; most frames are diamond-like in terms of their shaping. That's great info. Real cool.

must be made of carbon or something...

i assumed he meant a beam-bike. y'know, "Dimond like"

Cervelo could probably make a cool beam bike

Yeah, I read that as 'Dimond' like; some are so quick to jump on people's perceived errors :-)

Maybe I should have put my joke in pink...

Diamonds are made of carbon, as are most tri bikes these days, so a "diamond like" bike would not be anything new to the industry.

I was just poking fun at words :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be extremely fun to see what they come out with and if they follow current trends or if they set a new trend.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I would like to see is more frame integration and not add on's. There are a few companies doing this now with little pockets built in but I would like to see true integration into the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
What I would like to see is more frame integration and not add on's. There are a few companies doing this now with little pockets built in but I would like to see true integration into the frame.

You triathletes with all your little boxes, bladders, pockets and gee-gaws.

I want a pure, unadultered TT machine. I'll grudgingly accept a box for the electronic shifting junction box/battery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe Specialized can make a tri bike that is actually faster than their road bike.....
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now it appears that their Road Bike is as fast as their WC winning TT bike, and that is with drop bars vs. aero bars. It will be interesting to see what they come up with with for a TT bike and a Tri bike, but I'm expecting a Venge VIAS with different frame geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I know you are waiting on a new Shiv but could a new Shiv possibly beat a new P5/6 considering how there's not that much drag left on table? I guess we will have to wait and see. All of the bikes are converging unless you get a Dimond or Ventum

I'm expecting aero parity with potentially better integration. I really like the fuelsage. For me I could do a 70.3 on just the fuelsage and a bta. No need to fiddle with bottles: just hold position and hammer and occasionally grab a straw.

That said, I got a chance to fiddle with the new Venge at ITU Chicago. Specialized clearly put a lot of work into the brakes and that's what concerns me: they have an incentive to use them on the next Shiv. Not that there's anything wrong with them (I have no idea tbh) but I can tell you right now I'd rather travel with my Speed Concept than that bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious why would you prefer working on your speed concept's brakes (proprietary) vs. a different proprietary brake on the Venge VIAS? At the end of the day you are talking about a centerpull brake and a mini-v brake, both have become pretty std. maintenance wise.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It comes down to how I'd disassemble, pack, and then reassemble the bike. Wedge break just pull the wedge and put it back in. With the venge you'd have to undo the brake cable and then hope you don't accidentally pull it too far through the housing. Even once you have it hooked up chances are you'll have to fiddle with the brakes which seemed to me like it would be a pain but maybe I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
oh really? Most yaw people will experience is -10 to + 10. High yaw angles are not very common

Except everyone riding back from Hawi Saturday.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona is an exception

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Right now it appears that their Road Bike is as fast as their WC winning TT bike, and that is with drop bars vs. aero bars. It will be interesting to see what they come up with with for a TT bike and a Tri bike, but I'm expecting a Venge VIAS with different frame geometry.

This is fudged marketing at best. I guarantee where it counts the Shiv TT is faster and I put no weight in averaged yaw figures between -30 and 30 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
pyrahna wrote:

This is fudged marketing at best. I guarantee where it counts the Shiv TT is faster and I put no weight in averaged yaw figures between -30 and 30 degrees.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
georged wrote:
Who out there is going to forgo a current Speedmax or Trinity for a bike about which absolutely *nothing* has been announced? Not many, if any. On the other hand, if you're thinking about going to a P5 or upgrading your older Cervelo and have strong brand loyalty, then this might make you wait. This makes sense if it is interpreted as a lack of faith in the P5 to compete with the newest bicycles.

There are a lot of people with P5s waiting for something new. I've had mine for 3 yrs, nothing wrong with the bike but the new bike itch does start to come into play.
Most testing shows that the best other brands can do is match the P5, so not much point in switching.
I think this move is mostly to make sure that current Cervelo riders don't stray. At this point Cervelo has to focus on retaining market share in Tri, not growing. So neutralising threat from Specialized/Trek is the main concern.

This. I'm a loyal Cervelo rider (S2 and P2) but my head is being turned by Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Not only are they converging but well positioned bottle placement e.g. behind the saddle or between the bars, doesn't cause extra drag to the point where the new integrated designs are any faster. Furthermore, bikes like the Plasma 5 don't have the integrated capacity for one NOT to have to use additional bottles anyway for say IM or longer TTs. Manufacturers are trying to create product differentiation because new designs aren't moving things on from an aero perspective. Even the P5 which people bought into as being "simply faster" has not appeared to be any quicker judging by the people I know who've owned one - and when competing against the same people regularly in TTs a swing of 10W or even 5W here and there is VERY noticeable.
Last edited by: zamm0: Oct 13, 15 3:52
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Seems like a great marketing idea to me. They have the history to back up that it will most likely be something interesting with the exception of the P4 hiccup. I would probably hold off if I was in the market on upgrading as most likely they will be shipping with the announcement I would imagine.

The P4 was f'n awesome.

Quirky to work on like a mofo, but it was, and is, a fast, aero bike.
I was faster on my P4 than I am on my P5 (due to the higher stack on the P5).

"Anti-lock" R brakes were a feature, not a bug.
Brakes - all they do is slow ya down.

Have to agree.....I love my 2011 model P4.....fast and reliable....trouble free....definitely not a "hiccup". Really never had to worry about the rear brake issue. It might be a "great marketing idea" to make this "new benchmark in tri bikes" announcement but what's going to happen to P5 sales over that same time period....without now having to offer huge discounts. Just like car dealers when a manufacturer announces a complete overhaul to a particular model...heavy discounting is usually needed to get rid of old model. If I was a Cervelo dealer, could be wrong....but don't think I would be very happy.
Last edited by: gphin305: Oct 13, 15 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Coming [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to guess that P5 stock levels aren't very high.

I know it's a special order item at both local Cervelo dealers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden that bike!

BryanD wrote:
The very first Cervelo beam bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridiculous my pelotas
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Could_the_Secret_Cervelo_(P6)_be_a_Beam_Bike__P5742636/
Quote Reply

Prev Next