Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 3T Aerobars [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intrigued by this. New bike coming so I wonder If I want to be a guinea pig here.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
They seem to allow more control in tight turns almost like being in drops on road bike super clever, but you are less stretched and they are probably less aero in that position while on the brakes (might be good while actual braking). I guess it all boils down to how much time you are spending on the brakes. if the only reason to get hands on the bars is to brake, they are better, but if you have other reasons, you will be less aero while on the brakes because you will be most likely higher.

Why would you be higher when they bend lower than the base bar?? Pretty sure you mean the rider will be lower when on the brakes than a traditional base bar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and probably still not really Di2 compatible (external cables from extensions)

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
I can't find anything about minimum & maximum stack or pad width, extension length... You'd think that would be basic info.

Exactly. I'm in the market to upgrade from my Auro Pro.....figured I'd stay with 3T and tried to find out info from their site on their new products. Like you, can't find anything so I emailed their customer service for information (over a week ago) and received no reply. Not impressed with 3T website and their customer service. Now looking elsewhere including the Enve bar in case anyone has feedback regarding this product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would definitely solve my one issue with straight, flat bullhorns.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is such a good, simple idea. Grips that feel like drops.

Can't believe no one thought of it before.
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to be at Slowman's F.I.S.T. workshop last week when FedEx delivered a set of these. I really like the way they feel - it would take a bit to retrain yourself on where to grab when going for the brakes, but once you get used to that, I think it would be better for braking - it feels very "sure" in your hand. I am curious about how tight the cable routing for the brakes ends up being, though.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if the new cervelo (P7?) will come with these.

Of course these do seem to be missing the ability to tilt the pads with the extensions. Still very tempting for people that ride a bunch is more of city area where you have to be on the brakes more often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not seeing it, on straight flat bullhorns, the brake lever locks your hand in place as much as this does, unless you are using tulas
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That only works when hands aren't on the brakes. On steep descents, I keep my fingers on the brake levers. If the fingers are on the brake levers, and one's wet or sweaty hand slips, there is nothing to catch it, unless one keeps the index finger between the brake lever and the bar. That's what I did, but it wasn't secure.

At a couple of races that I do, there is a lot of swerving traffic on some of these descents, Santa Barbara Long Course is a good example. I keep my hands on the brakes because I don't know what the newbies ahead of me will do. Since I'm older, I'm almost always in a late wave.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe that is how you brake, but it only takes me one finger to remain in place and 3 to activate lever so even with sweaty hands I am not going to slip off. most times I am only using one or 2 finger on brake lever. this must be like that 2 footed braking in the lavender room ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what I did, but I didn't like it and it wasn't natural. From what I can tell, Dan uses flat bullhorns, but has some of the same concerns. (I may be wrong on this.) Putting the the 4th and 5th fingers on the bar didn't keep me from slipping past the brake, only if I put the index finger down there. Perhaps, as an old timer, getting an old dog to learn a new trick is not often easy, especially when I have to grab the brakes from the aerobar extensions in a hurry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am old enough :) yeah, I keep the index finger on the horns and not the brake. then again, I have never used all fingers for braking even on the road bike, just not necessary as more than enough force is generated by 3rd and 4th fingers. I can see folks might want that reassurance just as they will want thick bar tape on their aero bikes(I do not)
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Not impressed with 3T website and their customer service.

Not related to 3T specifically, whom I've never emailed, but I'm shocked at how many major cycling companies just completely ignore email. If you put your email address out there, answer it! And I'm not talking about warranty fights or anything, just honest questions as a prospective customer.

And for some companies it just seems to be unintentional. There's one company where I emailed 3 times over a month, and got nothing. So I called, got a human, and it was top notch, friendly service.

Some companies just seem to completely lack InterWeb skills.
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
I was lucky enough to be at Slowman's F.I.S.T. workshop last week when FedEx delivered a set of these. I really like the way they feel - it would take a bit to retrain yourself on where to grab when going for the brakes, but once you get used to that, I think it would be better for braking - it feels very "sure" in your hand. I am curious about how tight the cable routing for the brakes ends up being, though.

Good point about the cable routing. I hadn't thought of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oddly, I've always used my index, or index and middle fingers on all my bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not quite sure I understand what the advantages are

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you get a really short drop road bar that you can use normal tt brake levers on, I suppose
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not quite sure I understand what the advantages are

It gives you a very secure braking platform without those abominous upturned cowhorns. Good idea IMO.

Unfortunately they won't be very aero for other reasons, and I didn't catch the price, but they are surely pricey being carbon.

Good, aero, adjustable, and *cheap* (aluminum) aerobars could be made, but so far no one has come close to providing it...

Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamically they are actually very good. The wing is 3:1 but has a better aspect ratio in the direction of travel because they have a sharper angle forward. That makes up for the slightly bigger frontal area. Plus, it's more aero to stay on your bike than to slide off the front!

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I wonder how sharp that initial bend is, from brake lever up through the basebar? Hopefully it does not create additional cable drag.

I actually like the idea especially for descending. Now we just need to see the tunnel data to back up their claim of it being faster.

The bend was designed with exactly that in mind, so the outside is shaped to comfortably support the part of your hand between thumb and index finger while the inside supports a proper bend for the cable. Also some small tricks inside.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
They seem to allow more control in tight turns almost like being in drops on road bike super clever, but you are less stretched

The stretch is the same, it's designed around the same thumb position on "regular" base bar and Revo, not the same position of the wing or the whole grip (which in both cases would lead to different positions than on a regular base bar).

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gerard wrote:
Plus, it's more aero to stay on your bike than to slide off the front!

You have more experience then me, but I would think the superman position without a bike would be way more aerodynamic. It is just not very sustainable, well unless you are superman.
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the course. On a very short sprint, you're absolutely correct. Or in a triathlon where the bike is before the run, and you can time your Superman dismount into the water!

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aerobars [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to get info before the product is actually launched, although you definitely should have received a response. Hope you find some more info on the site now, although that still isn't enough. More will be added in the next few days. As for the dimensions, the min/max stack, extensions, etc are all identical to the VOLA (they are actually the same pieces).

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Last edited by: gerard: Feb 9, 16 7:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next