Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like it will be in the low to mid 40s for the run. Mighty cold for us Californians.

Any adjustments to be made? I am planning to run in a long sleeve shirt and probably start out with gloves and an extra layer that I will ditch once I warm up.

But I am sure that the colder temps will affect the breathing? HR rate?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The temps will be great. Maybe a pair of gloves and a hat that you can discard. The big issue, right now, seems to be the predicted wind. 20 MPH from the NW. That will be against you for the first 21 miles or so.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, temp isn't so bad but into a headwind it could get cold. Won't how long I'll be keeping the gloves... The wind, well...pretty much realizing my goal time is out the window.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, temp isn't so bad but the wind chill might be an issue. For the 3 hour ish runners that typically would run in shorts.....do you plan to rethink and maybe go with long sleeves to account for the windchill?
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... might have to test drive the shorts on Saturday morning. If not, then long pants and long sleeves it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry so much about the cold while running, but prepare to stay as warm as possible while you are standing around in the morning for a couple of hours. Triple layer with a garbage bag over you! Once you are moving you should feel nice and warm. I plan on wearing shorts and singlet with arm warmers and throwaway gloves and hat. Usually when I do this I only end up throwing away the hat. As far as the wind goes, it definitely sucks to have a headwind most of the run so I am gonna try to hide behind anybody and everybody that I can!

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't really given it much thought yet, but shorts for sure and probably sleeveless base layer, short sleeve shirt, and arm warmers.

Given my size, I can already see myself being a pied piper of a bunch of little guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to everyone running this weekend. Remember to high five the kids lining the streets of Brooklyn. The work starts when you get to the Bronx.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the race result:

I tried but didn't succeed :( Sorry to let ST down.

I tested out the crash and burn pacing and it went very well for first half and not so well for second half (1:19:19 for first half and 1:28:28 for second, kind of funny splits). Winds were outrageous @ 25mph+ for almost the entire course, at some points my legs were blown out from under me mid swing. My effort was definitely too high to maintain pace by fighting the wind, which caught up with me relatively early. I knew that I had to salvage my chances of finishing in the 2:40's halfway through so just cruised for the second half to come in at 2:47:48. I guess it's time to move on to the next attempt.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/625251999
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still an amazing result given the conditions. My splits were 1:34 and 1:53. I felt whipped during the second half.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems that happened to most people that I spoke to. It was definitely not a day for a PR, just look at the winning times, almost 6 minutes off from course record. Today must have been one of the windiest days in NYC that I can remember in a while. Congrats to everyone that suffered out there.

Gotta love how Meb comes out in tough conditions on tough course and places 4th, what an athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I also fell short of my sub-3 goal, ran 3:04:53. The conditions didn't help (at all), but I just needed to be healthy and get more volume in peak training. I was on pace until the last 10 k (needed a 42:03 last 10k), then fell off for 2 miles. I tried to toughen up and kick it home hard, but that just caused a wicked cramp. I seriously thought someone kicked me hard in the back of the leg. So instead of knocking off the 2 or so minutes I needed, I probably lost 2 as I had to shuffle it in. Tough day, but awesome race.

First NYC marathon for me. And reflecting a bit, the first comment that I think I would make is that it was loud. From the jet engine sound of the howling wind on the bridges, to the awesome start to finish crowd support, there was some serious decibel production. Hope everyone else had as much fun out there as I did.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [NegativeSplit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NegativeSplit wrote:

I also fell short of my sub-3 goal, ran 3:04:53. The conditions didn't help (at all), but I just needed to be healthy and get more volume in peak training. I was on pace until the last 10 k (needed a 42:03 last 10k), then fell off for 2 miles. I tried to toughen up and kick it home hard, but that just caused a wicked cramp. I seriously thought someone kicked me hard in the back of the leg. So instead of knocking off the 2 or so minutes I needed, I probably lost 2 as I had to shuffle it in. Tough day, but awesome race.

First NYC marathon for me. And reflecting a bit, the first comment that I think I would make is that it was loud. From the jet engine sound of the howling wind on the bridges, to the awesome start to finish crowd support, there was some serious decibel production. Hope everyone else had as much fun out there as I did.

So far you are the only person that I spoke to that had fun. I guess the bright side is that if you do it again it most likely will be a lot more fun. Congrats on sticking it out on such a brutal day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:30:53 first half

2:08 back half! Ouch!

Just an off day.

Btw: Gatorade Endurance is shit. 2 cups of that thought I was going to puke.

Brutal day. Congrats to all runners!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had fun out there! After realizing I was working a little hard at mile 12, I decided to cruise it in and enjoy the day. 1:30 / 1:38 for a 3:08.

I ran the last 10 miles going back and forth with a guy in a full Wattie kit. Must be one of the posters here.

Nice tailwind in the last 5 miles!

Not many Orange runners stayed on the left side of 4th in Brooklyn. It was me and like three other guys that I saw. I was alone for long stretches of those 4-5 miles. Kinda surreal. Probably not the smartest thing to do, given the brutal headwind, but it was a unique opportunity to run alone during the NYC Marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same story for me, went in hoping to go sub 2:50, knew it was stupid it even try given conditions (No warmup possible, shivering for 3 hours before cannon, and the wind...oh the wind...), but I did anyway. I was still on pace at mile 10 but could tell I was giving too much and it would turn into a really long day if I kept it up, so I went into cruise control...1:25:07/1:30:16 for a 2:55:23.

I'll admit it, I didn't have "fun" but the crowd support is amazing, especially in Brooklyn. The views on the Verrazano were simply amazing, the Hudson was nothing but whitecaps but the air was really clear because of the wind. It was a constant tearing noise from all the bibs flapping around while it rained Dunkin' Donut hats as they launched off peoples heads. It was kind of funny to see people blown all over the road, never had that happen at a race before. After that the winds seems calm in comparison elsewhere.

One more thing, the Queensboro bridge was by far the toughest part of the course for me and I think the hardest hill there. Sure, it is less gain than the Verrazano, but after 15 miles I was really feeling it. Was being passed left and right, I just enjoyed the skyline view and ran my race. I think it ended up doing a lot of people in, I was able to pass many of them on the mainly downhill section over the next 7 miles, then the carnage was pretty amazing over the last 5K. Passed a lot of people in the last 5K and it wasn't like I was moving all that fast or feeling good at that point (fairly bad actually since I pushed the first 10 too hard). Tough day and looking at the results, I think it favored the people who were smart and conservative early and waited till Queens to really start battling the winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leave it to a steeler fan to some up my thoughts! (I'm one as well).

From the back of the pack report, I had a tough day. My first standalone marathon, and injured on top of that. Goal was just to finish, and I barely did. After sitting on Staten Island for 4 hours, I was exhausted to start the race! But the energy was great--I loved Brooklyn, and all the bands!!! That was amazing. Queensboro was the death of me. But as I watched a man on the Achilles team on his wheelchair going backwards pushing his feet to get up that hill....I was so impressed. Many disabled folks competing there and doing well. Just the finish was awful...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, I made the same mistake. I thought I was in 2:45 shape, so figured going for a 2:49 was sufficiently conservative. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I lost 2:49:xx somewhere on the upper stretches of First Avenue when the wind exposure got bad. The wheels came off at mile 23. It's all relative because I was still running and only gave up 3 minutes over the last 8K, which, loooking through the results, doesn't seem so bad.

Not sure what the right strategy was for conditions that brutal. I know a lot of dudes who paced pretty conservatively and it didn't help them much at all. I was passed temporarily at mile 22 by a guy I know who ran 2:41 in Chicago last year. The fact that he was passing me so late tells me he was pacing for a 2:48 (I looked up the splits last night and that seems to be the case). He passed me for about 3/4 of a mile, never got more than 20 feet in front of me, then got spit out the back on the hill alongside Central Park to the entrance at 90th Street. He finished about 90 seconds behind me. He's on my running team and his 1/2 marathon splits in the fall suggest he entered the race in good form so definitely low-to-mid-2:40s on a normal day in New York (albeit now a "masters" having turned 40).

The view from the Verrazano Narrows is really one of the most awesome sights in sports. All of Brooklyn is laid out before you and you can see downtown Manhattan in the distance... at that point you realize, crap, that seems so far away and is less than halfway home!
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [krupkake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the Fourth Wave with the tourists. It really never loosened up. Crowded to the finish. But I feel good today, and mentally ready for winter racing.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [Nasrettin Hoca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I nailed it (but my goal was pretty "easy").

I was the 4:15 pacer. Brought my group through in 4:14:08. It was REALLY hard to keep an even pace with that constant wind --tried for 9:43 and was bouncin' all over the place, adjusting and re-adjusting every mile but I kept it pretty close. Met some really cool folks along the way and even convinced a buddy from NZ to run the whole thing with me (despite it being much slower than his norm). We had 4+ hours to catch up on things and for me to learn all about Kiwis.

I hit a gray patch at mile 22 (thanks to zero runs in 2014 above 14 miles, due to January hip fracture/labrum tear) but my trusty gatorade chomps + a couple banana quarters from spectors knocked me back into the good feelin zone by mile 23 and felt peppy to the end.

It's tough running a slower pace than your own pace, but very rewarding getting people to reach their goal. AND I was happy to find my hip held up. No pain whatsoever! Now, should I sign up for the 60K later this month???
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome leading a group in those conditions, it must have been great to push those folks to their limits to get them in at their goal time. I've been considering signing up to be a pacer for certain races and I think that you just convinced me. In terms of the 60k I think you should definitely go for it (as long as you aren't in my AG lol), but it looks like its almost filled to capacity so you better not wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another BOP report.

going for sub 4 since I missed by 16 seconds last year. hit the halfway point at 1:56 and was pretty excited, but i knew i was going too fast and would pay the price. btw, the asics time bands are really good and im glad i used it. Anyway, back half was tough and the 59th street bridge is and will always be a killer to most if not all the runners. lost .20 average pace climbing the bridge. didnt think i would make it up the 5th avenue hill and finish the final two plus miles, but i made it through with a minute and change to spare.

60k - thinking about it as well, but that's all it amounts to every year following the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy running in central park today - he was wearing everything you could buy at the NYCM expo. Plus his medal. It was banging his chest pretty hard.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Marathon 2014 [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to be French or Italian. I briefly contemplated entering the Marathon tent in the park on Monday but the sighting of the vast masses of European shoppers forming a 4 block long line quickly dissuaded me from such folly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw another guy wearing his finishers medal and T-shirt waiting for his bus (to airport or train) enjoying a nice smoke. It takes all kinds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next