Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the fact that WTC is implementing more safety procedures into their races and trying to educate athletes and prevent deaths.

My question is... Why is this not coming down from USAT our sanctioned governing body?

I will also say that I think making it a requirement that an athlete completes a HIM prior to entering an IM would be a great idea. Not only to increase the athletes awareness for such a challenging distance but also to generate more revenue thru higher HIM sales.

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Why not just have 2 lanes on the double loop swim? Outside lane for the 1st lap and inside lane for the 2nd lap, that way no one is run over."

that's kind of how i felt about it.

Dan, you have way more pull. See if you can try to implement this, it makes sense, all joking aside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i never got the sense that they were interested in categorizing racers, because i sense they think that WOULD change the integrity of their races.

This is BS straight from the cow's ass. Bike racing does it. Why? bc it's safe, bc it provides head to head racing that is exciting, it provides drama all day. Currently we can only be assured of that in the Mens race and maybe the womens. Sure at times some cat overtake another cat, I've never seen it be an issue. It's not the pell mell grab ass that goes on in triathlon now in the swim. Instead of having arbitrary waves based on ages and nothing else, now you can have waves based on similar times. Your waves aren't going to get spread out as much on the swim and it's going to provide head to head racing that matters.

Instead of age groups you would have it stratified based on ability.

Quote:
they wanted to change as little as possible about the race experience, and simply drill down to swim safety.

If they were really serious about the safety of their swim and participants, and I'm not 100% convinced that they are, regardless of what you and they say, and if they went in with all options on the table, not trying to put like people together in a quantifiable way is a big mistake and to me makes this look like a PR move more than a safety move. If they truly wanted to change as little as possible, the biggest thing to change is the thing that kills the greatest % of their customers.

Self seeding is not quantifiable, Already IM asks you to self seed at their races. Year after year I watch races and watch rows 1,2,3& 4 intermix quickly in some sort of poorly organized chaotic fashion. That is self seeding and what needs to be fixed. That is what causes the panic attacks. Self seeding self seeding isn't a solution.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Ironman's responsibility is to provide a fair and safe race venue, not to mitigate the panic one gets when they enter a race that they know they will encounter cold water and aggressive swimmers. It seems logical to me that the onus is on the panicee to do everything in their preparation to alleviate their own personal problem."

what would your counsel have been to one of i think 3 people total, ever, to win both the ITU olympic distance world championship, as well as the ironman world championship, when he had a panic attack?
have you actually read any of the accounts of people who suffer panic attacks in the open water? there are several here on the forum.

Just playing the trivia game:

Macca, Michelle, Welchie ?

Welchie being the guy you are referring to, who hung off a Kayak with a heart rate of something like 240 and waited till he felt better and then later in the day goes on to run a sub 2:50?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan

I agree with a lot of what WTC has done - and this comes from a 48 yo guy who can still swim :55 IM, guarded on the jersy shore for many many years, like you and monty knows a bit (def not as much) about water safety, and has 31 years tri racing experience - i do think i can say a couple things on this topic.

But to say that categorizing swimmers would loose the integrity of the race - I don;t buy that at all. Big swim races like Chesapeak Bay Bridge swim require qualifying standards - why is IM different??

And honestly if safety is the #1 priority (which I definitely believe it should be) having a swim standard/qualification and seeding people would go further than any of the other currently offered ideas to promote safety. Integrity in sports changes over time, maybe some of the things that lessened IMs integrity in the past regarding the swim are now different with all the deaths and changes in demographics of people participating in IM???

The other point - we have let people self police them selves in regards to preparedness to swim and seeding in mass swim starts. It does not seem to be working. Like other aspects of society, when people can't self regulate some times government needs to step in and 'help' the process along. I honestly believe no matter how much talking we do, what ever educational programs WTC undertakes - people will not take the swim seriously and adequately prepare. Hell people have been DIEING for a while and still we have this problem - so enforcing a consequence (qualifying standards, seeding requirements) - seem to be a logical and reasonable step towards "encouraging" people to LEARN TO SWIM, which they clearly are not doing now in the face of DEATH!!!

respectfully

r

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then vote for "gun time" in the poll to the right ------>
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
i never got the sense that they were interested in categorizing racers, because i sense they think that WOULD change the integrity of their races.

This is BS straight from the cow's ass. Bike racing does it. Why? bc it's safe, bc it provides head to head racing that is exciting, it provides drama all day. Currently we can only be assured of that in the Mens race and maybe the womens. Sure at times some cat overtake another cat, I've never seen it be an issue. It's not the pell mell grab ass that goes on in triathlon now in the swim. Instead of having arbitrary waves based on ages and nothing else, now you can have waves based on similar times. Your waves aren't going to get spread out as much on the swim and it's going to provide head to head racing that matters.

Instead of age groups you would have it stratified based on ability.

I like the category system, however as I alluded to already, you'd almost have to limit it to the swim, and group based on that. Yes, you're going to get wildly different abilities grouped together on the bike/run, but that is less of a concern than the swim. It's entirely possible that in the same category you'd have a :55 swimmer with a 2:10 swimmer based on disparities in their bike/run abilities.

So, either you'd have to base the categories on the swim alone, seed according to historical data, or give different weight to each segment (with a disproportionate emphasis on swim) for the overall category.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But to say that categorizing swimmers would loose the integrity of the race - I don't buy that at all. Big swim races like Chesapeak Bay Bridge swim require qualifying standards - why is IM different??"

coupla reasons come to mind:

1. because there's a history to this race, and i don't think ironman wants to mess too much with what folks see as the fabric of the experience;
2. me? i wouldn't hold up open water swimming or bicycle racing as models for that triathlon should do.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i forgot michellie. you can add mark allen.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so its a history over safety issue???

history changes - embrace it - or there is no progress

r

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
I like the category system, however as I alluded to already, you'd almost have to limit it to the swim, and group based on that. Yes, you're going to get wildly different abilities grouped together on the bike/run, but that is less of a concern than the swim. It's entirely possible that in the same category you'd have a :55 swimmer with a 2:10 swimmer based on disparities in their bike/run abilities.

So, either you'd have to base the categories on the swim alone, seed according to historical data, or give different weight to each segment (with a disproportionate emphasis on swim) for the overall category.

John

In my opinion, the ONLY viable solution to the problem(s) that WTC is trying to address would be to have three staggered, mass starts, to include pros, then competitive AG, then "friendly" AG. This allows competitors to compete and allows for a more effective, natural seeding of talent - especially among those that are less experienced and in need of the additional peace of mind.

I would even propose that each start not only wear distinct color caps, but distinct color wristbands so that you have a chance to identify those with whom you're competing out on the course.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Last edited by: burnman: May 9, 13 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point Dan, and other make, is that mass starts may not reduce the instances where slow swimmers get up to the front. Obviously AG Waves mitigate this, and pure TTs will decrease the volume of passing required, or at least the clogging of the lane. Waves still suck in 90% of the events I have done, as the slower AGs go first (old men, women and no offense intended) and the younger fish will then overcome these waves.

In my opinion, if IM doesnt want to seed based on official swim times, they should at least offer pentalities (6-12month, or longer) bans for not making the swim cut-off per chip time. The ban could be overturned with proof of a competitive time - which would allow those who had a bad day to get back in, but would hopefully inspire the tortoises to rethink their seeding.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Misconceptions about new Ironman swim and start changes [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fierceSun wrote:
eganski wrote:
The real story here is the warm-up. That is what's going to save lives.

I would like to think so, but I'm having trouble with this point.

All my previous IMs did not have a restriction on warm-ups, and I could get in the water about 20 minutess before the race and warm-up and then toe the line about 5 minutes before race start. With the new policy do we have to warm-up in the water and then get out and shiver for 20-30 minutes as we try and find and hold a place in line? If thats the case the warm-up is near useless.

I am very interested to see how this will be handled as well. Having done IMLP the previous 4 years (1:15-1:18 range) and this year being number 5, one of my favorite aspects of the swim was being able to get in the water for a warm-up and just being able to hang there. A few minutes prior to the gun going off I could just position myself accordingly. I always found this time in the water as a good time to calm the pre-race nerves. As mentioned above, will it now be required to get out 20 minutes prior to the race and stand in line? If so, it seems to somewhat defeat the warm-up, at least to how I find it benefits me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"But to say that categorizing swimmers would loose the integrity of the race - I don't buy that at all. Big swim races like Chesapeak Bay Bridge swim require qualifying standards - why is IM different??"

coupla reasons come to mind:

1. because there's a history to this race, and i don't think ironman wants to mess too much with what folks see as the fabric of the experience;
2. me? i wouldn't hold up open water swimming or bicycle racing as models for that triathlon should do.

Neither #1 or #2 address any of the points or questions raised. You seem extremely closed minded to anything that might serve to maintain the integrity of the actual RACING aspect of the event while still serving to mitigate the risks in the swim that you and WTC seem to feel currently exist. History is not a very practical argument. You've claimed previously that athletes out on the course at the front of the race don't know where their competition is or don't make decisions based on that but I can assure you that the majority of the athletes racing for a podium know exactly who their competitors are, where they are on the course and base race decisions on that information. That is the essence of racing.