Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3
Quote | Reply
Pros/cons on the Asics Metaspeed Sky+ vs. Nike AlphaFly 3 vs. Nike VaporFly3?

I would like to diversify my running shoes a bit heading into 2024.

I plan on racing everything - 5k's, marathons, sprint-Ironman distance - not sure what would be the best shoes for me. I currently run in Saucony Endorphin Pros for slower runs, Hoka Carbon X3 for mid-distance runs, and AlphaFly 2's for non-Ironman races.

For context (if it's relevant), I am run just shy of a 4 hour marathon and around a 4:45 Ironman marathon - 5k race pace is about a 7:20 min/mile.

I'm just not educated enough on the different shoes and benefits and/or pros/cons of each, so any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [AZDesert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy fellow Valley of the Sun resident. :) The Nike AlphaFly 3 launches in Jan. I currently run in the AlphaFly 2 which I love and also have the Vaporfly 3. For me I prefer the AlphaFly but the Vaporfly is a lot lighter.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Alphafly 1+2, and also the Vaporfly 3. I've switched to using them for all runs, slow and fast. Not just because I love burning cash on expensive shoes (I don't) - but in prior seasons, when I saved the Alphaflys for only speed day and ran the rest of my miles in non-carbon cushy shoes like Nike Invincible, it was sometimes injurious to race in the Alphaflys, as my calf/achilles wasn't quite used to the impact and geometry of the shoe. Unfortunately, this problem seemed to be worst with Alphaflys - shoes like Endorphin pros I didn't have this problem with.

I got the Metaspeed Sky+ last year with high hopes, but at least for me, after coming from Alphaflys, it was hard for me to get my legs back used to the drop/geometry of the sky, which surprised me. Despite being in Alphafly-near-race shape, I immediately suffered a minor calf strain with the Metaspeed skys despite barely going at the upper end of z2 pace. I'm sure I'd be able to acclimate myself to this shoe with a few more runs, but I was surprised how not-well it did for me coming from Alphaflys. I haven't run in them since! Still, I'm sure they're great shoes, plenty of pros run super fast in them.

I will add that in my experience as someone often limited in running by ankle arthritis, the Alphaflys and their front-foot air cushions are the BEST for impact absorption, even better than giant heavy Hoka Bondi 6s and all similar types of maxi shoes I've tried. I really think it's the air cushion, as I don't get quite the same effect with the Vaporfly3. My Alphafly 1 now has 450+ miles on it, and honestly the spring is still there for every step and the cushion is still amazing. I have a near-new race day Alphafly2 that I A:B test on, and I'm sure the heavily used shoe performs and feels just as well given the times I've swapped them. So I do think that at least for some like me, the claims of your shoe will be dead after 100 miles is overstated - but I'm still saving a newish pair for race day just in case! (I put my AF1 in the laundry to get them upper clean again)
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 17, 23 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are a "heavy" runner go with the Alphafly. I've run version 1 (Imho the better version) and version 2 a lot, I prefer them to the Vaporfly (I have version 2 and 3, here I prefer version 3).
If you are more a light weight runner go with the Vaporfly.
I've never tried a Metaspeed so cannot comment on them.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you've worn the AlphaFly, but they have an odd arch design that can cause blisters. I've had some races where it's been a non-issue, and others where it's been pretty bad.

I also have the MetaSpeed Sky (not the plus) and all versions up to the vaporfly 2. In terms of snappy feel, the vaporfly seems to have the most snappy feel, but the Alphafly seems just as fast. I also love the MetaSpeed Sky. I've had good races in all, and am not sure what I'll be racing in come next year.

One thing I did leading into races was run in each in the few weeks leading into a race, then went with the one I felt best in, looking at HR, pace and RPE from a given run.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing to add in - it looks like your shoe rotation is all carbon plated. I'd recommend against this due to the navicular bone being over stressed due to the inability of the foot splaying normally when in a carbon plated shoe. There have been quite a few cases of this bone breaking, and That Triathlon Show did a whole episode about this.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with the comments re shoe rotation. I try to limit my running in carbon shoes to 1x/week + races. There are some studies starting to link carbon plated shoes to stress fractures.

As far as which super shoe is the best, I would check out Labratrundown. You basically covered 3 of the best shoes on the market. Two more considerations are 1) that some of the updates aren't necessarily better than previous updates (AlphaFly 1 testing better than the 2, Vaporfly 2 testing better than the 3) & 2) access to testing. You're not really going to know which shoe you respond better to unless you test. & that's not a realistic option for most of us. So it's probably safe to pick one of the ones that tests towards the top, knowing that you probably aren't leaving a ton of time on the table.

One work around is a protocol that was discussed on the Scientific Triathlon Podcast. If you have two racing flats that you're considering you can do a treadmill test as follows: 20:00 warm up w./ 2:00+ (5:00-6:00 max) @ marathon pace + strides into 4 x 5:00 @ half marathon to marathon pace (pick the pace, stick to it on the treadmill) w./ 5:00 standing recovery. Shoe pattern = A-B-B-A. Measure heart rate during the test then analyze afterwards. You're taking full rest so your heart rate should be low heading into each rep. 2bpm is a significant difference so if you average 158 with shoe A and 160 with shoe B then shoe A should be your choice. It's not perfect but it doesn't require going into a lab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can wait until April when the new Meta Speed shoes are launched...you'll have yet another choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
some of the updates aren't necessarily better than previous updates (AlphaFly 1 testing better than the 2, Vaporfly 2 testing better than the 3).

Where did you see vf3 testing worse than vf2? It’s unsurprising the Alphafly 2 tests slower than the original, it’s a lot heavier. I also got a massive blister on my arch the one time I ran in them (the 2) … afraid to try them again.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good info...

How Long Do Super Shoes Last? Here’s What the Latest Data Says.
https://www.outsideonline.com/...campaign=onsiteshare

Kiwami Racing Team
Last edited by: GaryGeiger: Nov 18, 23 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Stop running entirely in carbon plates shoes and you are just going to overload the area which carbon plates shoes increase loading in.

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
If you can wait until April when the new Meta Speed shoes are launched...you'll have yet another choice.

Regarding foam longevity, this is gonna sound a little odd, but my old clifton shoes were wet so I removed the insole, put them in the oven at 175F and left the door cracked to release moisture.

When I put them back on I swear that foam felt brand new.

I'm curious to try it with my supershoes on their last legs. The only problem is I have too many pairs of super shoes and rotate through them all, so none of them are near being on their last legs.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Nov 17, 23 22:30
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:
some of the updates aren't necessarily better than previous updates (AlphaFly 1 testing better than the 2, Vaporfly 2 testing better than the 3).

Where did you see vf3 testing worse than vf2? It’s unsurprising the Alphafly 2 tests slower than the original, it’s a lot heavier. I also got a massive blister on my arch the one time I ran in them (the 2) … afraid to try them again.

I have AF1 & 2, VF 4%, 2 & 3. AF1 is better and VF2 is faster than VF3 but VF3 is lighter and overall better shoes. VF3 is like butter. They are so smooth, comfortable, light and fast enough. If I can have only one pair of carbon shoes, VF3 it is. They are simply amazing. I’m on the light side though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on which are comfortable for you. I’ve had every version of the vaporfly except the 3. They’re fast shoes. Light and snappy. Tried alphafly v1 2 times and returned them each time then this summer got a steal on a pair and tried them again. Glad I did because over longer distances they’re the most comfortable and fast shoes. I’ll also throw in adios pro 3 to your search. I actually enjoy those more than the vaporfly versions. They’re about the same for me with speed but more comfortable and have a bit more cushion after breaking them in. I have like 350 miles on them and you cannot tell they’ve been run in because of the rubber sole.

Just stinks you can’t buy them and try them all and see which you like more because that’s the only way you’ll be able to tell which you really like.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

Do you have any more information regarding what new Asics will be launched in April?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to adding non-plated shoes to your rotation. There's good evidence it will both make you faster and reduce injury risk.

I have the MetaSpeed Skys as my "go fast" shoe and have zero complaints. Is it possible that the some other shoe is fastER? Maybe. But I think it's pretty clear that it really comes down to comfort. The MetaSpeeds feel a lot like normal shoes... but fast. I'm wary of some of the narrower platforms - e.g. Adidas.

Especially for a 4-5hr marathon, I would absolutely prioritize stability/support over speed. Look at something with a wider midfoot in particular.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AZDesert wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Do you have any more information regarding what new Asics will be launched in April?

It should be a complete redesign of the Sky or Edge, in time for Boston / pre-Olympics.
I have seen a few spy photos of prototypes on the internet, only two I believe so far (not that I actively look for them).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the VF2 and the AF2 and have raced open running and tri events in each.

VF2 is light, comfy, and feels like walking on marshmallows. In a mostly good way. They are fairly unstable, though, which depending on the course can be a major downside. Short stuff should be no problem, but a half/marathon is really uncomfortable by the end unless the road is very flat, since otherwise you need to focus a lot of mental/physical energy on stabilizing each footstrike. The tongue is also extremely squirrely and prone to wrinkling under the laces, so they are tough to put on in transition.

AF2 is a bit heavier but not a big deal IMO. Agree that the arch is oddly shaped and likely to cause pain/blisters in a lot of folks, which might be an instant dealbreaker. The sole feels better than the VF, though. Stable and "bouncy", not "mushy" like the VF can be. Very fast in transition due to the pull tabs and integrated sock-style tongue/upper.

AF would be hands-down winner for me if not for the uncomfortable arch. I'll probably use it next year for everything half marathon and under, might look at VF3 for marathon/full IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
+1 to adding non-plated shoes to your rotation. There's good evidence it will both make you faster and reduce injury risk.

Could you share some links? I haven't seen any evidence about the "faster" point. The injury point seems to circulate due to anecdotes, but I haven't seen studies beyond some that point to "possible associations" and needing further study.

But the speed one im especially curious about because I havent seen anything at all about that before.
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex Hutchinson, as always, has the goods - https://www.outsideonline.com/...csm-conference-2023/

Linked research:
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36780101/ --> injury risk
- https://www.runnersworld.com/...unning-shoes-injury/ --> injury risk
-------------------------------------
- https://www.abstractsonline.com/...99/presentation/3505 --> training in non-plated shoes (and relatively minimal ones) makes you faster

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone put some miles into the AF3’s yet and can share their experience?

Metaspeed in April looks to be SWEET! I’ve seen the pic’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:

I've run in mine a couple times. I agree with a common opinion about the AF3 that it seems like a hybrid between AF2 and VF3. The difference in drop compared to prior versions is very noticeable. No complaints about the shoes, I enjoy running in them, but there's a growing amount of evidence that AF1 remains the GOAT for marathon shoes. Wasn't aware that the updated Asics shoes were expected in April, but they seemed to do very well at the marathon trials.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:

I was able to buy a pair of AF3 on Jan 4 and my goodness, they are the best. My heart rate was the lowest when I ran hard and I could go really fast. This guy was very skeptical but convinced once he ran in them. If Nike shoes fit you well like they do to me, you are in for the treat.

https://www.instagram.com/...gsh=cmx2OWpmaXA1MWZ6
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Y-Tri wrote:

I was able to buy a pair of AF3 on Jan 4 and my goodness, they are the best. My heart rate was the lowest when I ran hard and I could go really fast. This guy was very skeptical but convinced once he ran in them. If Nike shoes fit you well like they do to me, you are in for the treat.

https://www.instagram.com/...gsh=cmx2OWpmaXA1MWZ6

You really didn’t need to rub it in 😜

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Metaspeed Sky+ vs. AlphaFly 3 vs. VaporFly3 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
but there's a growing amount of evidence that AF1 remains the GOAT for marathon shoes.

No doubt!! I think Galen Rubb and Mantz ran in AF1 at the trial last Saturday. AF1 is good but they feel very clunky to me. I can feel the air pods too much. Try Rocket X 2. They are like Cadillac compared to AF1. I really like AF3 and can’t wait to all out in them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next