Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [MU1998] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MU1998 wrote:
NO ONE REALLY KNOWS.

You do...

MU1998 wrote:

I don't think the car the sped past him.

I think they argued at the stop sign, then he held on to the car

I'm saying this guy seems pretty suspicious

it sounds to me like the guy fell off his bike after (at best) a verbal confrontation with the Mayor and now wants to make a big deal out of it

if he was by chance holding onto the Mayor's car during this like we all know happens

hitting an innocent guy and running him off the road sounds pretty far fetched to me

I call BS on this one

This man has not been proved to have done anything, and even if it turns out he did, which i highly doubt

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

All I know is if I hit someone I would stop immediately even if it meant I was blocking traffic.j

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MU1998 wrote:
I don't know. But that's why I'm not ready to crucify him just yet. No one knows. Just because he is the mayor it doesn't mean he must be guilty. Or innocent. And that's the point - NO ONE REALLY KNOWS.
I think the eye witness accounts are the reason people are suspecting he is guilty rather than his status as mayor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MU1998 wrote:
I worked as a bank teller when I was younger and it was pressed upon all employees with great emphasis that if we were ever robbed not to talk about it with anyone until talking to the police. Why? Because under stressful situations people don't remember accurately and tend to change their minds without even realizing it and start to say they saw what someone else saw, or describe a person wrong, or their ideas of what match those around them. So witnesses in a stressful situation who have had time to sit around and talk to each other before the police I don't think can be trusted. I've seen people describe a completely different person and circumstance after a crime happened because their minds molded to what they were hearing, like a game of telephone the message at the end is completely changed. .

IOW, you'd consider their immediate assessment/conclusions to be more reliable?

If so, what do you make of the 911 tapes that recorded one of the witnesses shouting at the mayor to stop because he had just hit a cyclist and was attempting to flee the scene?

ETA: Not to mention that Randy and the witnesses were immediately interviewed at the scene for 1.5 h. (while the mayor was allowed to leave after just a few minutes).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Aug 3, 14 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
MU1998 could be from Missouri University

True, true...does the mayor happen to have any children who went there?
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
jaretj wrote:

True, true...does the mayor happen to have any children who went there?

I don't know that MU1998 is a shill for the mayor but he sounds like one. He refuses to address very valid points of fact and repeats similar talking points of the mayor.

If he's not a shill for the mayor he lacks critical thinking and the ability to analyse facts.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MU1998 wrote:
No. I have no relationship to the mayor in any way what so ever. I just don't like the way people immediately attack someone based on one someone else's word. I don't like to see this happen to anyone of any community and I think it makes a bad name for the group doing the attacking. There is no independent thinking or critical thinking, it's just people jumping on a band wagon because it's easy and you don't have to think about the consequences, especially if you are wrong. I don't know what happened and I'm simply playing devils advocate here,

Seriously? you joined a forum... defended a guy you claim not to know... all to play devils advocate for someone who by 3 accounts did exactly what the plaintiff to be claims he did? I call bullshit.

This forum will not ruin the mayors life. Be realistic. You joined this forum to play defense for a guy who quite honestly needs it. Evidence is mounting in the plaintiffs version of the event. As a cyclist who as encountered many angry motorists I don't have any sympathy for the mayor. I find it hard to believe his story. I WAS SOMEONE WHO WAITED FOR THE EVIDENCE TO CAST JUDGEMENT! Look back, it's the truth. Now that multiple accounts of the event are surfacing it appears the mayor acted poorly. He will likely pay the consequence, and it will likely be far too light a punishment. Not because he is the mayor, but because that's the world we live in.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You think the witnesses' memories were all tainted?

Consider this. The mayor was not detained at the scene. The victim and witnesses *were*, for 1.5 hours, immediately after the accident. The mayor had time to fabricate a plausible story and even to fix any scuffs in his car paint. I don't know how long it was before the police took a statement, but it was at least 1.5 hours, or even if they took a statement at all before finally passing the matter on to another district/division, as they should have in the beginning. Sheer incompetence? Or intentional coverup?

The whole thing smells to the heavens.

I agree with the others. Why would MU1998 take precious time in his or her day to write in defending the Mayor, spewing a carbon copy of the Mayor's version of the events, AND taking a swing at the victim's reputation. Does MU1998 feel that the slowtwitch community is full of imbeciles? Just wow. Until MU1998 can convince us that (s)he is a longtime forum user as claimed, I smell a rat.

I'd believe the victim and three arm's length strangers who are voluntarily testifying. What rational person wouldn't?!!! Give it a rest, MU1998.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Aug 3, 14 16:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, MU1998. I went to your River Front website, where you said I would find evidence for your statement, "I'm saying this guy seems pretty suspicious. There have been plenty of other local cyclists to call him out too. Apparently is reputation in general isn't a favorable one. "

There is nothing there. This is the closest I could find, and it has nothing to do with the cyclist's reputation.

Scott Shoemaker: "Some say the cyclist was holding on to the car and catching a free ride." This said without any evidence, or stating who "some" is referring to.

Other than that, I didn't find a single person in the 100+ comments denigrating the reputation of the victim cyclist. Plenty of exasperating folks ignorant of the law and your usual I Hate All Cyclists contingent. There, I took one for the slowtwitch team, going through the annoying comment section of the River Front story. That's how angry this incident makes me. You're welcome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MU1998 wrote:
I don't think the car the sped past him. I think they argued at the stop sign, then he held on to the car. There is 0 proof of anything except this guy's word that something happened with 0 evidence. He even told the police over the phone he was fine, that the mayor was turning around voluntarily and seemed to have nothing to say to cause alarm until after he found out the guy was the mayor. I'm not saying for sure the mayor is 100% innocent, I'm saying this guy seems pretty suspicious. There have been plenty of other local cyclists to call him out too. Apparently is reputation in general isn't a favorable one. Just because someone cries wolf, doesn't mean there is a wolf.

Do you actually believe anything you type?

There are 3 witnesses.

IF they actually argued at a stop sign do you think there is even a 0.0000001% chance he would "hang" onto the car?

I think the most suspicious thing of all is that the Mayor didn't stop. How do you not stop if you ran someone off the road. Even if they were hanging on to your car you have to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok lets break this down a little bit.
MU1998 wrote:
I don't think the car the sped past him. I think they argued at the stop sign, then he held on to the car.
So they weren't moving?
MU1998 wrote:
There is 0 proof of anything except this guy's word that something happened with 0 evidence.
And the witnesses all suffered from the same spontaneous delusion?
MU1998 wrote:
He even told the police over the phone he was fine.
Fair point. But this could just be a response to "do you need an ambulance".
So here's a question. (http://www.stltoday.com/...e6-afa62e3f51c9.html)
"Furrer said Murdick grabbed onto his car during the incident, which Murdick denies. Furrer said he didnt accelerate or swerve, but saw Murdick tumble from his bike. Furrer said he kept going, but turned around at the first opportunity to go back to check on him."
So either Furrer continued down the road, at the same speed as when they had the conversation with Murdick holding his car, and turned around at the first opportunity (at pushbike speed he should have just been able to stop), or he accelerated away from the incident. Which sounds most unlikely to you? I ask because, to me, someone who accelerates away from an incident like this does not sound like the concerned citizen type, especially one who want's to stop and check the cyclist is OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MU1998 wrote:
......I'm simply playing devils advocate.......
tr.v. advocated, advocating, advocates. To speak, plead, or argue in favor of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are feeding a troll. Think about it. ST is quoted on the Today show, then this guy shows up with this pro-mayor propaganda. Wonder how many other forums he joined just to smear the cyclists.

Quote | Reply
Could you please link to where you found "locals" not defending the cyclist? Earlier you said a lot of locals weren't on his side then backed it up with 0 evidence. Also I'm calling BS on you not knowing said mayor. Who signs up just to defend someone they don't even know?

Also I would say this is evidence your friend is in hot water: http://www.stltoday.com/...b4-fa2fa299d45d.html
Last edited by: rjrankin83: Aug 3, 14 20:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Much more likely especially because Michigan is UM aka University of Michigan.
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. So this is my last post then I'm done. I originally posted just to get some people to open their eyes and think that just bc some guy is mayor for a few months doesn't mean he is immediately wrong. And just bc someone says they are a victim, doesn't mean they are one. All I wanted was for people to keep in mind that it has happened on plenty of occasions that someone who is judged guilty by the public turns out to be innocent after all and this mob mentality where everyone believes the one claiming to be wronged is simply lazy thinking.
I don't have any connection to these men, but as I have stated earlier, I can relate to having someone you love drug through the mud only to find out later they were innocent, and it's too late to repair the damage. Just because a fellow cyclist says this happened, doesn't make it true.
If you haven't been able to find any posts at all supporting the mayor you simply are not looking. Go to the comments section, hit the "more" button if necessary, but the comments are there.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/...striking_cyclist.php

http://m.topix.com/...cyclist-with-his-car

http://drunkcyclist.com/...mark-e-furrers-road/

http://fox2now.com/...-cyclist-hit-by-car/

Say whatever you want about me, speculate all you want. The fact of the matter is no one truly knows what happened and jumping on a band wagon is a pretty lazy way of thinking, and dangerous to the community if it turns out you are wrong, treated someone who doesn't deserve it in an awful way, and just looks stupid. We don't know what happened but it's easy to be outraged and point fingers when you don't have all the facts. And to make assumptions and speculate about a person who shows you an opposite view just to make you think is pretty sad and is why this world is as divided and messed up as it is.
Hopefully you never find yourself in the unpopular seat trying to prove your innocence while society refuses to think for themselves and simply joins in with whoever is loudest. But I bet if it ever does happen to you or a loved one, you too will start to second guess the validity of one mans victim cry.
Say what you want, think what you want, but do yourself and the world a favor and at least think for yourself. Goodnight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you sign up a while back as tasha or something to defend trayvon?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Aug 4, 14 0:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MU keeps mentioning working at a bank, the Mayor's late father was president of a bank.
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
MU keeps mentioning working at a bank, the Mayor's late father was president of a bank.

So we now have evidence that there is Internet access in the afterlife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Let me tell you what I have as a cyclist. I have about 500 cars drive by me, some wait to pass, some give me a really wide berth, some give the bare minimum. Then every now and then you get the 1, they engage you, and it has never been to be polite. They put my life in danger. That is my circumstantial evidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're blasting us for "mob mentality" then link sites and tell me to read the comments to find defenders of the mayor? Isn't that the same thing we're doing here but in favor of the mayor? Also you really have to look to find those comments. Every single time there's a car v. cyclist incident you're going to find people who defend the car. Some people just hate cyclist. There were 3 witnesses and the cyclist giving one story and only the mayor gives another. Why should we believe the mayor?
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then every now and then you get the 1, they engage you, and it has never been to be polite. They put my life in danger. That is my circumstantial evidence.

Everyone who rides a bike knows this. MU1998 does not know this. Does that tell you something?

Please ignore him. Do not reply to his posts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The fact of the matter is no one truly knows what happened..

I've not read all the posts on this thread, but I'm already tired of this blatant misdirection: two people for sure know exactly what happened: the cyclist and the mayor. Since their stories don't match, one is not being truthful. Now ask yourself, who benefits the most from a revised version of events?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Mayor of city attacks cyclists [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am quite happy with most of the stuff I write. He is providing me a soapbox, as much as we him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next