Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Magura RT brakes on a shiv
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done this? Mark from Specialized is saying to get two rear calipers but I'm wondering if anyone out there has done it with the stock front and rear magura calipers as they are typically sold. If so, did you have to modify anything or what?
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there space under the BB for those things? And why do you need hydraulic brakes?

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea there is. The new 2014 shiv pro comes with them but wondering if someone has put them on themselves. Not a matter of need :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend is putting maguras on his shiv comp.

You need 2 rear maguras and these parts from specialized:

S140500008
BLT MY14 SHIV MAGURA BOLTS FOR BRAKE ADAPTERS (SET OF 4)
S140700010
BRK MY14 SHIV MAGURA FRONT BRAKE ADAPTER (WITHOUT BOLTS)
S140700011
BRK MY14 SHIV MAGURA REAR BRAKE ADAPTERS (WITHOUT BOLTS)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Teamzero86 wrote:
Has anyone done this? Mark from Specialized is saying to get two rear calipers but I'm wondering if anyone out there has done it with the stock front and rear magura calipers as they are typically sold. If so, did you have to modify anything or what?

Pretty sure the front/rear combo won't work. Check the Shiv thread. Someone commented that the bolt on the front Magura brake was too long to work with the Specialized adapter, or something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a used Shiv when the owner got a new one (that came with the Magura). Owner didn't want the hydraulics so they put them on the used Shiv for me in a parts swap out. Local bike shop did it. Not the exact answer you were looking for, but clearly it can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to have them installed on my Shiv. Two reasons: first, the stock pair are not great at stopping power and feel and I ride a fair amount of hilly rides and courses, and second, the Maguras are 50% off at Comp Cyclist so for about $350 I will be getting a huge improvement on stopping power and modulation plus an immaterial but nice aero benefit plus a material aesthetic benefit.

Obviously the stock are "fine" but this seems like a good cost/benefit at this price.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [EBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are you getting two rear calipers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I ordered two rears from Comp Cyclist at about $185ea and had my shop order the fr and rear adapters plus bolts. Hoping it works as well as anticipated. Given that they come on the Cervelo P5 and the two higher end 2014 Shivs, I don't feel that I'm doing something radical here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I have heard great things. I'm sure you'll love them. Can't wait to get a pair but comp cyclist doesn't have the RT6? I have a black and blue shiv so if going to shell out the money I rather get the RT6 which aesthetically will look nicer on my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right - I didn't see the RT6. Might be able to find elsewhere in line for a deal right now though. I have a 2012 red S-Works so the black/red RT8 is a no brainer. The other possibility is the Tririg Omega. I was about to do those but the sale price on the Magura was too good - I'll get close to the same aero benefit (which is nominal honestly) but reportedly terrific actual stopping power. Big comfort
in the hills where I ride.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great. The omegas look nice too. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Neon Blue and Black Shiv Comp as well and I'm putting on the RT8 cuz they were cheap. If you wait and watch chainlove.com, they will have them for $150/piece. Thats where I got mine. I bought a front and rear set but after having my shop install them and found out thru this forum that I needed 2 rears. So I'm in the process of returning the front for another rear. The RT8 has carbon brake levers vs the RT6 which are only metal and plastic.
Last edited by: skwan: Dec 15, 13 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Philosoraptor,

You heard right. In fact the sole difference between front and rear calipers is the length of the mounting bolt. Magura even uses the "long" hose for both, so a "front" can even be installed on the rear (or on the front of bikes which mount a rear caliper on an adapter).

All your mechanic needs to do is cut the mounting bolt shorter (and switch the brake shoes left to right so they're facing forward again). Not everyone will be comfortable doing this, but for those who are, it is an easy option.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Dec 16, 13 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,
Wondering if the opposite can be done? I've bought a set of brakes that came off a Shiv and want to mount them to an Airfoil but as you've probably guessed the front bolt is too short. I thought I could get away with a longer nut but it's still too short. The actual bolt on the caliper looks like a separate piece so does anyone know if that can be swapped out to the longer bolt or am I just going to have to source a new caliper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just installed my RT8TT last week and they make a huge improvement over the original stock brakes on my Shiv. I agree would prefer all black since I have the black/blue combo too but it isnt too bad. I did use both rears as recommended from Comp Cyclist and no issues. On the brackets from Spec, the one that is marked 1is for the front as they are very slightly different.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [fasth2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Maguras on my Shiv and for the first time I am trying to install my Zipp race wheels. Using the screw on the brake lever, I cannot seem to get the brakes wide enough to fit the Zipps in. What else can I do to get them to fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Installed a pair of TT8 on my 2013 Shiv Pro yesterday and I'm very pleased with the result and the fact that I now have some strong reliable brakes on my speed machine :-)

I Removed the old studs and used the to two brackets and bolts from big S to mount the brakes. I had one problem with the front brake though...

As the mounting bolt for the Magura brake itself sits on the backside of the bracket, this needs to be tightened down before mounting the bracket on the bike. When mounting the bracket on the fork, I had to slide the brake to the side and back (off center it) in order to reach the two bolts and tighten them. This caused the mounting bolt for the Magura to come loose. The result was a brake impossible to center, as the pressure from the brake hose would make the brake "slide" to the side. I managed to solve this with a lot of grease on the outside of the mounting bolt and bracket and a good doze of blue Locktite on the Magura stud for the mounting bolt.

But, I'm afraid that the brake mounting bolt will still easily come loose, e.g. when traveling and this would cause a bit of trouble having only basic tools on a trip.

Any thoughts or good ideas how to handle this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [MrSommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat. The brake is tight, but once rotated to put in the fork bolts it loosens up. Good idea on the grease and loctite. I'll give that a whirl.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [JoshTriNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try having it assembled such that once bolted to fork, you rotate it in the direction that tightens it, not loosens it, in order to center
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you cut down your allen wrench, it can fit between the caliper and bracket so you dont have to turn it. Mine has been on a year and not loosened.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [fasth2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fasth2o wrote:
If you cut down your allen wrench, it can fit between the caliper and bracket so you dont have to turn it.

Sounds like a good idea, but makes it a bit difficult to use a torque tool... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly you can mount the adapter to the brake and then just use a long allen or hex key with a round end. Put some electrical tape on the brake arm to keep from scratching it and then with the wheel out compress the brake slightly to give yourself some more room. It has been a year since I did this instal so I might be wrong. I would also suggest threading the brackets on without the brake attached first to make sure the threads insert smoothly. I did this as part of a Di2 Magura modified brake setup so have forgotten all the little details. Here is a link to the blog post I did about the Di2 mod.
http://www.gearsandgrinds.com/...4/5/5/magura-di2-mod

Owner of Gears and Grinds - Bike/Tri Shop
http://www.gearsandgrinds.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I was hoping for some advice, I'm about to attempt a stud removal, can you describe how you removed the magura stud? I assume there is thread lock in there, and I was considering using a soldiering iron to apply heat to the screw, but I want to be careful not to damage any of the internal seals. Did you have much trouble breaking the stud free?

The end result of this is going to be a p4 rear brake swap via Specialized style adaptor plate, using a bolt directly into the magura stud hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Magura RT brakes on a shiv [notaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not sure what you mean by 'magura stud'. Is it the stud on the frame that the standard TRP brake is attached to? In that case I simply used a big wrench to loosen the stud and afterwards a spanner to screw it out. Worked like a charm :-)
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next