Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
MOP'ers with power meters
Quote | Reply
I’m polling the collective ST wisdom to see what everyone thinks on the use of power meters by MOP’ers. I’m considering purchasing one of the new Ergomo Pro’s ($1600). “A” race this year is Vineman IM-distance. I’ve had trouble in the past with IM bike pacing due to HR drift, perceived exertion (adrenaline rush at the start of the bike), heat, etc. My goal is sub 5:45 bike, with a sub 11:00 IM. Is this a) the stupidest use of $1.6K ever by a MOP’er, or b) the best $1.6K I’ll ever spend.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You listed all of the reason why to have one. If you want to improve, it makes no difference where you are in the pack. A power meter will help. I have the Ergomo and can't say enough good about it. I also have the updated computer on order so I am a Ergomo believer. I say go for it.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My own intuition is that a powermeter it the most legit high tech goodie for a MOPer to have, because it's about the engine rather than free speed. I'd look at a fat guy with a powertap less suspiciously than I would a fat guy with a disc. But, that's just my two elitist cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I am going to vote as the stupidest or smartest but it will help you improve your cycling so why not if you have the $. I don't think it matters where you ride, just that you want it to get better and not just as an accessory. Maybe training with it will help you get to FOP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's worth more than any other single thing you can spend money on, even moreso in the MOP. The worst part of doing an IM with MOP fitness is blowing up and walking 20 miles (let's face it -- over half the people in an IM walk at least half the run). The powermeter will 100% guarantee you won't bike too hard (if you learn to use it and listen to it). It will make anybody's IM experience better.

BTW -- you could save some money by getting a powertap standard.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much are they charging for the CPU upgrade? I asked about any special trade-in prices and they said there were none but failed to even say if I could get an upgrade. I like the ergomo for it's flexibility of wheel choice but I'm not too happy with the company; I've been waiting 2+ months for one of my BBs to get repaired by them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about ther Ergomo, but I am a huge fan of the PowerTap. It forces me to train harder than I normally would, which is great. I will be racing with it in CdA this summer. I have an SL laced to an Aerohead rim. The whole unit cost just about $1k including the cycling peaks software and the mount for my other bike (screaming deal). I am still thinking of getting one on my 404 for racing.

I have been training with it for about 6 weeks now.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The quote I got was $699 for CPU only (if you want to use the old BB) and $1599 for the whole unit. Ergomo cranks are another $299 if you're so inclined. Delivery early Dec for Campy square taper, late Dec for Octalink- taking deposits now.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main reasons why I don't want a Powertap or SRM are:

a) race with a Renn disk
b) train with Powercranks

Otherwise, I'd agree that it's a less expensive option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put my $200 deposit on a new computer today with Randy. He said a dec 10th delivery date was realistic.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my opinion (6+ years racing/coaching with power), a power meter would save you more time in a race then either a Renn disk or power cranks.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in my opinion (6+ years racing/coaching with power), a power meter would save you more time in a race then either a Renn disk or power cranks.

---------------------

Fair enough, but since I already have both of those, would it not make sense to buy a power meter that allows me to keep using them both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops did not realize you were the one who posted originally...yea, then perfect, now you have all the goodies. Do u know if the ergomo is still measured only on one side?

Like others have said...learn to use it and the software. I know lots of folks who NEVER download the files and even 2 or 3 people that did not know to torgue zero their PT...so the data was always screwed up.

Kurt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats so special about the Renn disk? Just buy a wheel cover and pocket the price difference without sacrificing 'any' speed.

ot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I know the BB hasn't changed so yes, the measurements still come from only the left side. All the "Rosetta Stone" type comparisons with SRM's and Powertaps show a very good correlation in readings though, so it doesn't seem to affect accuracy at all. If anything, the biggest source of discrepancy in measurements between the Ergomo and SRM or Powertap was the 5 second sampling rate, which has been fixed on the new computer. It can record as frequently as every 1 second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
...people that did not know to torgue zero their PT...so the data was always screwed up.

I find its pretty rare to have to re-zero the torque on my PT...maybe once every 3 months or so on average.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
out here in the east, with the temp swings, I have to do it more often. Plus I have 5 wheels and only 3 CPU's so I need to make sure they jive.

Kurt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Fair enough, but since I already have both of those, would it not make sense to buy a power meter that allows me to keep using them both?

I sold my Renn and bought a PT and a disc cover. Net net, that's a lot less money than an Ergomo. A PT will work very nicely with your PCs. I'm wondering about how the Ergomo would respond to PCs...? I guess it would be ok.

Anyway -- it's all good. You can't go wrong either way.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know of any good reading to (learn how to use it and listen to it). It's fun watching the power levels but I know there is more to it.

Thanks

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a lot of training on the CT, and I am curious whether anyone has had any experience with the Ergomo sensor causing interference with the CT units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I am exactly in the same boat as you 5:40 bike at LP, 3:44 run, 10:33. No way I'd spend $1600 on measuring power on the fly. As much as people swear by it, between perceived exertion and heartrate, I have enough data for my Middle of Pack needs. Also if I really want to know power, I just used my Tacx trainer and I know what perceived exertion equates to 200W vs 250W vs 300W vs 350W and I can take perceived exertion with me on the road, and it will never crap out in bad whether or electrical malfunction.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem is that my perceived exersion meter craps out when exposed to high amounts of adrenaline. This has screwed me to various extents in all distances of racing but it's potentially catastrophic at 1/2 IM and IM distance for me.
Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Nov 8, 05 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the biggest reasons I enjoy my Ergomo is it provides more motivation for training. I don't like seeing those big gaps in my training calandar with no miles logged, or rides with low average power. If I'm riding the trainer, it gives me a lot more motivation to try and hit a good average or reach a record. It's probably the engineer nerd in me, but I like looking that the graphs after my workout and I base my training on improving my numbers, and comparing myself with previous seasons.

It's great to have for racing too, but if I had to chose I'd train with power and race without it.
Quote Reply
Re: MOP'ers with power meters [BritRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you know of any good reading to (learn how to use it and listen to it). It's fun watching the power levels but I know there is more to it.

Thanks

Mike

I hear that A. Coggan and H. Allen are working up a book. Publish date is rumored to be late this year. When it comes out, I'm sure you'll hear about it here and on every bike website around. Wait for that -- I'm sure it will be TSTWKT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... between perceived exertion and heartrate, I have enough data for my Middle of Pack needs.
Duuuuude...the idea is to move out of the MOP!
Quote Reply

Prev Next