Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looking at Hokas [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Currently running in the Saucony Guide 9 and the Fastwitch 7. Would you recommend Hoka?

Bryan........They have free returns so order 3-4 pairs and take them all out for runs, since you have been struggling with a injury this is the perfect time to make a switch to Hoka I don't think you will look back once you do.

Here is what i would tell you to buy:
-- Clifton 3: the go to Hoka for most people
-- Odyssey: similar to clifton, has worked better for me
-- Vanquish: since your not super light this shoe may hold up better for you
-- Clayton: more a racing shoe then trainer (as slowman said); but i use it once a week for some speed work.

Keep 2 of them and start rotating them; send the other one back (free returns), then you will start running faster and people won't be able to run you down (as much) since you are already a FOP swimmer and FOP biker.

thats all i got this morning.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clifton 3 isn't out for another few weeks. Have you been able to try it to verify they fixed the toe box?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan,
Based on everything I know about you the athlete you could probably slot the Clayton into your running closet and find good use for it. The Clifton and Bondi are too soft for your efficient running. They may feel good but you'll be bleeding energy as you power through the softness. The Clayton with it's firmer forefoot will not do that. You are not looking to Hoka to solve a problem you are looking at Hoka to enhance your running. That's the right way to do it and that's why I think the Clayton works.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Bryan,
Based on everything I know about you the athlete you could probably slot the Clayton into your running closet and find good use for it. The Clifton and Bondi are too soft for your efficient running. They may feel good but you'll be bleeding energy as you power through the softness. The Clayton with it's firmer forefoot will not do that. You are not looking to Hoka to solve a problem you are looking at Hoka to enhance your running. That's the right way to do it and that's why I think the Clayton works.

I appreciate the advice but how do you know me? Just curious hah. I'm definitely interested in the Clayton.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 8, 16 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two penneth: I ran Hokas and Newtons side by side for a while. I liked the cushioning that the Hokas gave, but over time I realised I was using the cushioning rather than controlling my footfall, if that makes sense. I sort of rationalise it like so: if you land on a concrete surface you will use your legs to minimise the force of the impact. If you land on a mattress, you won't, because you won't have to.

End up sticking to the Newtons. In the end it's all about what works for you. I found Hokas didn't work that well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg,

That is a good description of bleeding energy. Efficient runners use their legs and form to absorb the impact. Put a soft shoe under that and all that useful energy goes out through the softness of the shoe. Another way to put it is you'll use more energy to go the same pace or you'll simply slow down.

This is not a knock on Hoka because they are not the only brand with soft shoes today.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
I'd take a look at the Clifton 3s being released beginning of July. Go for a pair at runningwarehouse or REi as they have easy returns if you decide they are not for you.

Clifton 3's are up on Roadrunners website for pre order
Last edited by: ffmedic84: Jun 8, 16 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on runningwarehouse too with July release dates.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
Clifton 3 isn't out for another few weeks. Have you been able to try it to verify they fixed the toe box?

is that the change with the clifton 3? I loved the clifton 1, could not use clifton 2, so have been hoping for a change in clifton 3.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:

is that the change with the clifton 3? I loved the clifton 1, could not use clifton 2, so have been hoping for a change in clifton 3.

That would be awesome if they widened it. I have a pair of the Rapa Nui 2 Tarmac (Now discontinued) that I really like, but they are just about worn out. Found a pair of Clifton 2 on sale for $70, tried them on and everything felt awesome except my toes were rubbing on both sides. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C3s supposedly wider forefoot but still thicker tongue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Currently running in the Saucony Guide 9 and the Fastwitch 7. Would you recommend Hoka?

Just another data point for you. I use Guides for runs up to 10 miles and Bondi4 on the longer runs for the extra padding. I find that the cushion really helps my old knees not ache during the long runs but on the shorter days I like the better ground feel of the Guides.

With Hoka now having a variety of shoes from very responsive (Tracer) to cushy (Bondi/Vanquish) it's definitely worth trying on a few pairs to find which works best for you; or maybe they won't be your thing; you never know till you try. BTW, a lot of people remark that most Hokas have narrow forefeet so that may or may not be an issue for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Bryan........They have free returns so order 3-4 pairs and take them all out for runs, since you have been struggling with a injury this is the perfect time to make a switch to Hoka I don't think you will look back once you do.

Here is what i would tell you to buy:
-- Clifton 3: the go to Hoka for most people
-- Odyssey: similar to clifton, has worked better for me
-- Vanquish: since your not super light this shoe may hold up better for you
-- Clayton: more a racing shoe then trainer (as slowman said); but i use it once a week for some speed work.

Keep 2 of them and start rotating them; send the other one back (free returns), then you will start running faster and people won't be able to run you down (as much) since you are already a FOP swimmer and FOP biker.

thats all i got this morning.

not sure which website you are referring to as far as returns;however, return may actually mean store credit or exchange depending on the website
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hoka online has 30 day refund policy on shoes. I have bought as many as 3 pairs and once from them worn them all and sent back the ones that did not work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
hoka online has 30 day refund policy on shoes. I have bought as many as 3 pairs and once from them worn them all and sent back the ones that did not work.

ah, good to know thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Clayton for my recent 70.3 and I really liked it for the race.

However, prior to the race, I did some long runs to "test" them and good thing I did, hotspots in the inside arch quickly developed. Turns out if you read the reviews, MANY people are experiencing the same issue. Hoka knows and surely is addressing. The problem seems to be the new material and cut of their insole insert. For some reason they decided to make a new insole with a different material and shape for the Clayton.

To remedy, I simply put in the prior insole from the pile of other Hokas I have. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [metafizx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
metafizx wrote:
I got the Clayton for my recent 70.3 and I really liked it for the race.

However, prior to the race, I did some long runs to "test" them and good thing I did, hotspots in the inside arch quickly developed. Turns out if you read the reviews, MANY people are experiencing the same issue. Hoka knows and surely is addressing. The problem seems to be the new material and cut of their insole insert. For some reason they decided to make a new insole with a different material and shape for the Clayton.

To remedy, I simply put in the prior insole from the pile of other Hokas I have. Problem solved.

I returned a pair of Clifton 2s for the Clayton. My test run in the Clayton at the store felt great and I was really excited about the shoe. Unfortunately, I'm among those who developed blisters in my arch and I had to return the shoes after only 2 runs. They felt comfortable and I didn't feel any undue rubbing, but within 2 miles the hotspot would start.

Back to Adidas Boosts for me.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree w/ Greg66. I have found that the Hokas are ok for slower long runs (not quite as beat up afterwards), but I would definitely not wear them everyday or for faster paced runs. I have experienced the joy of 2 recent hamstring pulls and both occurred while wearing Hokas. I've read that this has happened to many folks wearing Hokas. The lack of pounding seems to trick me into gradually increasing the pace, but the extra impact movement from the added cushioning can leave you vulnerable to muscle pulls. I still wear mine, but only for slower recovery days and I am careful to keep my pace in check. Just be careful w/ them as they can easily change your running mechanics.

http://myaccount.trisports.com/...?referralCode=RUBJFW
Use code "SHARE15" for 15% off your order!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [phope] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious if anyone has the Tracers? I current run in the Saucony Guide 8's and Brooks Racer ST's. I've ran in tons of different shoes from minimalist to the old bondi's, and my favorite shoes were the Brooks Green Silence. The Tracers seem interesingt but I haven't heard much about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not tried on or used any Hoka I really liked, until I got a pair of free Tracers... Very much like the light weight and lower stack. I won't race in them but they are a great trainer for distance and some uptempo stuff for me.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From PI TRI N2 -> Newton Distance -> Clifton 2 for Full IM = Happy joints for me. Then again it's not as responsive as i.e. Clayton, Newton and other shoes. Try it first, running warehouse have been good about their policy. If you're not happy, switch to something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ijustrun wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Just another data point for you. I use Guides for runs up to 10 miles and Bondi4 on the longer runs for the extra padding. I find that the cushion really helps my old knees not ache during the long runs but on the shorter days I like the better ground feel of the Guides.

With Hoka now having a variety of shoes from very responsive (Tracer) to cushy (Bondi/Vanquish) it's definitely worth trying on a few pairs to find which works best for you; or maybe they won't be your thing; you never know till you try. BTW, a lot of people remark that most Hokas have narrow forefeet so that may or may not be an issue for you.

I would say that the Vanguish is more responsive than the Bondi (I've run in both) and is advertised as such (I,e cushioned but not as soft)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience using a different insole (ie superfeet) in the Hoka. Just got a pair (have about 4 miles on them), but I have always used an insole with past shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would suggest for someone like me. I currently use Asics Gel-Nimbus. I am a underpronator. Within 300 miles I wear down the outside heal on each side pretty badly.

Thanks,

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Looking at Hokas [xrookiex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tracer has the same midsole heights as the Saucony Kinvara - In other words ultra light and low for a Hoka but still more shoe than your Green Silence and more shoe than your Racer ST. The midsole has less flair in the forefoot then the Kinvara which makes the forefoot slightly less stable. The ride however is firmer than the Kinvara which is good. We don't need another Kinvara we need a shoe to be different.

The fit is similar to your Racer ST but the internal environment is much better.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply

Prev Next