Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Last year for TdF on OLN!
Quote | Reply
From now on the TdF and all bike races will be on Versus. Sadly, it is just a name change:

Outdoor Life Network Plans Name Change

STAMFORD, Conn. — The Outdoor Life Network is changing its name to Versus.

The new name will take effect in September, in time for the NHL season, OLN announced Monday.

"Versus is a word that perfectly captures the essence of our brand. It is immediate shorthand for competition and has a range that can suit everything from stick and ball sports, to bull riding, to field sports," network President Gavin Harvey said. "We felt it was a slam dunk, and sports fans we talked to all agreed."

OLN, which began soliciting suggestions for a new name about a year ago, said Versus was chosen "not only for its bold nature, but because it universally evokes competition."

From the AJC.com

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Versus"?

...ugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Competition" was not what came to my mind as I tried to interpret what they were getting at with the new name. I was far from relating it to competition. Maybe I just missed it on that one.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kinda hard to be the OUTDOORlifenetwork and broadcast hockey which is a strictly indoor game....

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have gone with "Obscure Sport's Network"...
Last edited by: JohnA: Apr 24, 06 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I hear and see this sort of thing go on, I have to wonder how big companies can arrive at this sort of a decesion - or is it just me, that seems to miss something. I say this because, I am right in the middle of what, I would think would be OLN's key demographic - someone who is keenly into all outdoor sports and recreation. Clearly, operations the size of OLN don't take these sort of changes lightly. They likley hire a good PR ffirm to helpe them with this and there was some "reaserch" and focus groups that worked on the project, but the new title does nothing for me.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trust me, they spent millions on coming up with the new name--some marketing/pr consultant somewhere is laughing.
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
kinda hard to be the OUTDOORlifenetwork and broadcast hockey which is a strictly indoor game....

g
Didn't you see Mystery Alaska?
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [Tri Poseur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
trust me, they spent millions on coming up with the new name--some marketing/pr consultant somewhere is laughing.

Not doubt!

At least is it is definitely better than the Big 8...which added four teams and paid consultants over $1MM to come to the conclusion that they should change the conference name to...the Big 12.

I hope it also turns out better than Phillip Morris...which changed it's name to Altria in a highly publicized release...only to disover that the name was already owned!

From a write up at the time:

"What's more someone else already owns the Altria name. In an if-it-weren't-so-sad-it-would-be-funny bit of irony, the name is already in use by an Alabama based provider of service to physicians and health care companies, Altria Healthcare Corporation. AHC immediately contacted Philip Morris in hopes of getting them to change their plans, to no avail. Sharing a name with a tobacco company would be "kind of a challenge when we're in health care and we're working directly with physicians and hospitals," according to AHC chairman Warren Smedley. "It would be very, very difficult for us to operate normally with that kind of scenario,'' he added."

http://www.warprofiteers.com/article.php?id=2035
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Versus (ESPN). They just forgot the qualifier. The NHL is now the cash cow for OLN and since the NHL plays indoors, they obviously had to change the name [/sarcasm].

hockey which is a strictly indoor game....

What? Not where I come from (Canada)... I've never played hockey indoors. Had a creek in my back yard, and my neighbours had a pond. That's where I played hockey.
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, let me be specific then - hockey as broadcast by OLN, that is NHL, unless there is a outdoor NHL rink I don't know of...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, you like cycling, hockey and hunting?

If not for the window of cycling on Sunday afternoon's, the entire station would be filled with guys in boats getting excited about fish or guys with guns.

Way to go with the NHL deal. Yet something else that nobody watches.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man versus Fish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. For some reason my hockey games weren't broadcast. Perhaps it was because I was outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
hockey which is a strictly indoor game....

What? Not where I come from (Canada)... I've never played hockey indoors. Had a creek in my back yard, and my neighbours had a pond. That's where I played hockey.
As a fellow Canadian, let me be the first on this board to call you true hoser from the Great White North.

Quote | Reply
Now if only they'd get rid of those idiots Liggett, Sherwin and Roll, and have commentators who know what they're talking about. I lost count of the times Liggett misidentified rider's in yesterday's L-B-L.
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take off, eh. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [KLinggi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly how the station began. Hunting, Fishing etc.. now there are a bunch of hunters and fisherman wondering why there are a bunch of faggots in tights riding bicycles on Sunday afternoons when there should be more "Shooting USA" or "Tred Barta".
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [srb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now if only they'd get rid of those idiots Liggett, Sherwin and Roll, and have commentators who know what they're talking about. I lost count of the times Liggett misidentified rider's in yesterday's L-B-L.

You ain't heard nothin'...when I was over for the 2005 TDF I caught a couple of broadcasts on Armed Forces Network). They were British commentators, I believe.

Anyway...everytime a Postie would go down they would exclaim: "A Postal Service Rider is down...is that Lance? It could be...it definitely looks like it could be Lance..."

Even as a casual observer you could see all the other Posties continuing up the road with the pack...and the team car in at least one case. Ya think they might have picked up on the idea that the team doesn't just leave the team leader behind? Nah........ ;->
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, since you put it that way..

http://www.cbc.ca/..._oilers20030915.html

So what if it wasn't this season. You did say, "unless there is a outdoor NHL rink I don't know of"

;)

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad coach Troy already has the market on "Strong and Focused"...

That would be such a neato name for a channel.
Quote Reply
Re: Last year for TdF on OLN! [CY TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You ain't heard nothin'...when I was over for the 2005 TDF I caught a couple of broadcasts on Armed Forces Network). They were British commentators, I believe.

Anyway...everytime a Postie would go down they would exclaim: "A Postal Service Rider is down...is that Lance? It could be...it definitely looks like it could be Lance..."

Even as a casual observer you could see all the other Posties continuing up the road with the pack...and the team car in at least one case. Ya think they might have picked up on the idea that the team doesn't just leave the team leader behind? Nah........ ;->[/reply]

Well, except when Hincappie is leading the team! Hoste and Gusev looked over at Hincappie when he went down and then just kept on riding! And they didn't even aks "Hey, you got everything?"

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, except when Hincappie is leading the team! Hoste and Gusev looked over at Hincappie when he went down and then just kept on riding! And they didn't even aks "Hey, you got everything?"

Ah, yes! Gorgeous "It would have been better if I had Won" George! ;->

Seriously...what happened to him was unfortunate to say the least.
Quote Reply