Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I thought that were enough I would live in the pool

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone should organize a charity around this event. "King of Kona Swim Challenge" or something like that. Could probably raise a ton of money for charity.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already on it Nick.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think for this thing to be fair and more interesting is to have it in the race swim that happens the week before. In the pool it would be evident quite early who was going to win. In the OW even if someone is a couple/few seconds a 100 faster it could all be nullified by the draft of the race and the tactics. Also gives the nod to some experience over youth, which I believe Andy would need against both those men and women.

A drag race sprint after 45 minutes of sitting on would be much more exciting to me, well I guess it could be 50+ minutes if no one really takes the lead..
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a match up like 2008 Kona when my coach agreed to swim side by side with Potts no drafting?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Party_on_Benjamin_Sanson_588.html
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it needs to be all out, they were both cruising ;)
I like the idea of a charity event, perhaps we can crowdfund something like 5/10k and the winner gets to choose what charity to donate to?

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole point was Andy saying he could still beat him in the pool. He knows he can't beat Josh in open-water anymore. His background and his height might give him an edge in the pool though. He also mentioned that he re-introduced weight training and added a weekly swim session for this season, so the 2018 Potts may be swimming more like the 2012 version.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wait till Kona week? Make this happen sooner.. let's say march-may
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I guess it is Andy's challenge after all, so he should be the one setting the parameters. I just think that having that 4 second a 100 savings of being able to draft a faster guy is where his chances are. Maybe it will be a 400IM in the pool, that ought to even the age/youth difference up a bit..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona is the only race that all four will be at. It's coming together. Got some interest from a few brands to put up a little money for a prize purse as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is so cool Brad, reminds me of this old bar bet between pro triathletes that had quite a following. Were you around for any of these races?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...r_Challenge_275.html

Next up a mile on the track, now that would be some fun. A distance that no one is trained for or really good at, but you would just never know who would be the winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That is so cool Brad, reminds me of this old bar bet between pro triathletes that had quite a following. Were you around for any of these races?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...r_Challenge_275.html

Next up a mile on the track, now that would be some fun. A distance that no one is trained for or really good at, but you would just never know who would be the winner.

The mile would so much fun to watch but I doubt anyone would be up for that as a prelude to Kona even if it was a week out due to the chance of a crazy injury, just taking something out of you due to the heat/humidity or just being "hard" in general.

I fondly remember the Miranda free vs. backstroke of the other athlete(which I can't remember her name) on Youtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't say I remember that one. That article was posted a few days after I did my first sprint triathlon on a beach cruiser (I was 15). I do remember Carb-Boom though...still makes my stomach churn.

Same idea though. The best part is now we have social media for pre-race shit talking and the ability to live stream.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julie Dibens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same idea though. The best part is now we have social media for pre-race shit talking and the ability to live stream. //

Ya in the olden days it was just me on my motorcycle riding up the mountain and then writing about it afterwards. But can't seem to find that original story I did on the Jurgen/Smith dual. And no one put up that money, it was the loser forks over a grand as I recall. Spencer's dad held the cash, and really everyone was expecting Jurgen to mop up the floor with him, think he thought so too. He didn't taper, rode 50 miles fairly hard out to the start and just seemed to comfortable. Spencer got a ride out with his dad, did a good warm up, and for the first time ever I saw Spencer spin the gears. Dude broke I don't know how many bikes because he would ride huge gears and muscle them from his hands down to smashing the pedals. Dan can probably at the very least tell you that he broke several QR bikes back in the day.

Spin to win!!!! $1k for doing a workout you would gladly do on your own for free, nice work if you can get it.

How about a crowdfunding source for some other prizes, maybe some more professional coverage too? It would be fun to have a bunch more too, have heats with a grand final, now we're talking.....
[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
Kona is the only race that all four will be at. It's coming together. Got some interest from a few brands to put up a little money for a prize purse as well.

Who's the 4th?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lauren Brandon.

Think it's a safe bet that she finishes fourth, but at the inaugural Kona Swim Smack Down, we promote gender equality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
Lauren Brandon.

Think it's a safe bet that she finishes fourth, but at the inaugural Kona Swim Smack Down, we promote gender equality.

I'd prefer to see Gomez as the 4th, I wonder how he'd do.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Swim Smack down 2018 Amburger vs Potts vs Charles [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. I'll reach out to him but I doubt he'll bite. I don't think we can raise enough of a purse to spark his interest and he's coming to Kona with one goal in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think we can raise enough of a purse to spark his interest and he's coming to Kona with one goal in mind. //

Did you see how much we raised here for a silly wind tunnel test? You get a couple names like that, hell even Lionel would get a lot of attention. It would not be about head to head racing, but it would give endless hours and threads on speculating, maybe even some friendly gambling!! Hell I will start it right now, I want Lionel, Keinle, and Wurth heat, then Frodo and Gomez thrown into the main heat..You would get more than dinner money with those match ups..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I don't think we can raise enough of a purse to spark his interest and he's coming to Kona with one goal in mind. //

Did you see how much we raised here for a silly wind tunnel test? You get a couple names like that, hell even Lionel would get a lot of attention. It would not be about head to head racing, but it would give endless hours and threads on speculating, maybe even some friendly gambling!! Hell I will start it right now, I want Lionel, Keinle, and Wurth heat, then Frodo and Gomez thrown into the main heat..You would get more than dinner money with those match ups..

Winner of the lot gets to race Varga with a 100m head start!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As triathlon's resident degenerate gambler, I can promise there will be plenty of gambling around this thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: It's on. Still a lot of details to hash out, but all four are in.

We're looking for local Kona charity to support with the PPV stream...something that supports youth sports on the island would be ideal. Hit me up if you know of a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
If I thought that were enough I would live in the pool

This thread is lame....Lucy Charles is saying that she will go for a date with guys at the pool if they swim fast enough the the rest of the guys on this thread are worrying about Amberger vs Potts. I am going to the pool and I am telling my wife that it's the only way I score a date with Lucy Charles. My wife knows I have no chance and now I get a pass to swim 100,000 km per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is fantastic Brad! Did you go for Lauren or Gomez? Man now I feel bad for not registering for a IM event this year in order to get to Kona’!

Quote Reply

Prev Next