Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne
Quote | Reply
Here we go with some surprising numbers.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Melbourne_3484.html

Thanks to AJ Johnson of TrainingPeaks
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love these. Many thanks to the pros who share their numbers, and the folks at TP for the analysis!

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great article and love the data, but what aspect of this is surprising? Almost exactly what I would have expected to see, especially from Rapp. FTP in the upper 300's, riding as steady as possible around 80% or just under, with minimal tactical surges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea of the ht/wt of the two. also I assume climbing is calculated into some of the performance metrics. Its very different for the two, basically one climbed 50% more than the other. Does that throw off some of the TSS and other calculated metrics.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats surprising is the failure to mention the run stats.
JR put 18 minutes on him during the marathon.
This says more about the bike than anything else in that article.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan usually holds back until late, and Clayton usually does the reverse.
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheBeek wrote:

----

There is a run in triathlon?You would never know it around here...;-)

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh those little details. ;>)

BTW, did you get an email I sent you last week?
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Any idea of the ht/wt of the two. also I assume climbing is calculated into some of the performance metrics. Its very different for the two, basically one climbed 50% more than the other. Does that throw off some of the TSS and other calculated metrics.

Gosh I hope you're kidding.

I'm astounded by the speed they got on the watts they put out. 26.9mph on <250W? Dayyyyyyyuummmmmm. That's not really astonishing for a position that one might be expected to hold for a sprint or Oly, but that's badass for an Ironman.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fettell is 5cm shorter than Rapp, according to my sources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:

huh?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
styrrell wrote:

I'm astounded by the speed they got on the watts they put out. 26.9mph on <250W? Dayyyyyyyuummmmmm. That's not really astonishing for a position that one might be expected to hold for a sprint or Oly, but that's badass for an Ironman.

Yeah, so there was a massive tailwind which was stated in the article and reported elsewhere.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
styrrell wrote:

In a windless environment, 25.2 - 25.7 would be their speed on 250 watts. Educated guess. Definitely not 26.9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Jordan usually holds back until late, and Clayton usually does the reverse.

It always surprises me how intimate slowtwitcher's are with the pro's.

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is more added to the feature as I missed a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to know what socks Clayton Fettell is wearing!

I do not hunt to kill. I kill to have hunted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clayton just started using power (like a month ago) so this may have played into this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did Jordan have to climb an extra 800 ft? I am not sure he was in the same race. ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to figure out what those numbers suggest about the value of drafting with the front pack. Obviously there's not enough there to be too definitive, but I'm thinking it looks like the value is at least 5 minutes and maybe even a bit more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheBeek wrote:

A few points related to the run and Clayton's watts per kilo

1. Maybe part of the 18 min run delta is explained by the fact that Rapp is a better runner
  2. Part of it is also likely related to the note about Clayton being 18 lbs overweight for this race (very impressive in that case)
  3. Part of it is due to pacing

Looking at the "pacing" and the fact that this guy is 18 lbs overweight, it is scary to think what he can do being at race weight and using his powermeter well. Look out Llanos, Marino and Crowie!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this Herbert. Very interesting stuff. One question: any idea why Fettel purposely put on 8kg? That is a LOT of weight, but he still had a good race.

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the "analysis":

Quote:
One of the best metrics to compare athletes in an "apples to apples" manner is by looking at their watts/kg

Ummm...not for a triathlon leg, or most other timed cycling events (unless it's straight uphill at 6% or more, that is).

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
From the "analysis":

Quote:
One of the best metrics to compare athletes in an "apples to apples" manner is by looking at their watts/kg

Ummm...not for a triathlon leg, or most other timed cycling events (unless it's straight uphill at 6% or more, that is).

Tom, even though it is mainly watt/Cda, the watts per kilo will give us good insight into the potential for good run split (or not).
Quote Reply
Re: Jordan Rapp vs Clayton Fettell power analysis in Melbourne [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said one of the best.
It is one of the two best.

Tom A. wrote:
From the "analysis":

Quote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next