Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the first time I saw an Ironman marathon split.

I thought: "
2:40!
World champion?
There must be at least seven 40-year old guys who can run that fast just here in town!"

(We see guys running 29:30 off the bike in Olympic distance races. Not many 40-year old guys who can do that!)

After experience and some thought, I realized that it is probably incorrect to look at an Ironman run as a thing on its' own. It might be that an Ironman run is comparable (in speed) to the last half of a 50 mile run. But the optimum pacing might not be the same.

My question is this:
Which is a better run?
2:40 after a 4:51 bike or (ie Symonds)
2:51 after a 4:31 bike? (Ie. Vanhoenacker)

There must be at least 20 pros who could run a 2:40 Ironman marathon, if they paced the bike conservatively enough.

This is, of course, not saying that Symonds' run was not truly awesome.

I am glad Marino is racing well again though.
Could we see a Starky, Van Lierde, Kienle, Mackenzie, Vanhoenacker super bike at kona?

Maybe some super runners like Rana, frodeno, bozzone, docherty, Symonds, aernots, Tim Don could chase down some of the leaders?

Ironman is boring to watch?
Kona could be the best Ironman ever this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
it is probably incorrect to look at an Ironman run as a thing on its' own.

QFT. That's why I consider Chrissies run the gold standard. Her 8:18 total time with a 2:44 run that day, regardless of the debate about course accuracy, is insane for a women's performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is a better run?
2:51 after a 4:31 bike? (Ie. Vanhoenacker) //

This is an easy one, of course Marino's run is better. One guy ran all out start to finish, the other ran within himself, shut it down at some point, and probably high fived all they way through the finish shute. We know how fast Symonds ran , we do not know how fast Marino could have run. This is always the case when the winner has a nice margin of victory. For all we know, Marino maybe had a 2;45 in him, at the very least i would wager he had 3 to 4 minutes at the very least..
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Also, the bike course at Roth has almost the same elevation gain as Whistler...

That is incorrect.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
I heard that he ran a 2:40 and was blown away. I was also completely shocked at MV's 4:31 on the bike. When I saw him go by coming back from the turnaround, I figured there would be some people right behind him. No one showed up for what seemed like at least 10 minutes. That is an insane split to throw down on that course which simply allowed him to cruise to a 2:51 marathon and still win by almost 10 minutes.

I'm with you. He was on the climb out of Pemberton when I was heading down. When I finally saw the 2nd and 3rd place guys, I was wondering if I imagined seeing the race leader that far ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
I am going to say that is the best legit Ironman course run in history next to Dave and Mark in 1989. Twisting, turning pathways with AGers all through second loop and a uphill gravel paths in sections. This after a heck of bike course. Watching his speed and then finish was astounding. Flying comes to mind!

Congrat's Jeff. Amazing.

I had the run course at 25.73 mi and the bike at 110.01 mi, so I'm relatively sure that both are short (I usually end up with 26.4 on a certified marathon course.) What did others get?
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
I see so many files and never one with the right distance for Roth. Not sure what to think of your 43km;)

The imc course is different from last year. I would like to see files from this year but douth gps would be reliable in the forest??? Not sure

Normal course is 42.195 with no negative or positive elevation total. Imc penticton was one of them, for many years certified also...

From the other thread, last year I started a thread wondering if the old course was short as we had a few athletes who were a couple minutes faster. Long story short I think most people said that with all the turns and GPS issues the course last year was "close" this year I have only one data point which makes it a bit longer than last year by .6km.

In terms of Trev Wurtele being 8 min faster (bike), than last year. I have no idea….my only opinion is that he is a better biker or he rode harder on the day, personally I can't say it was easier

from an AG perspective last year was easy with lots of fast people (cool weather) and 500 more athletes. I was about 48'th going into Pemberton and was passed by 70 in the "packs" the whole time going 38KPH or so.

This year I was all alone, in Pemberton only being passed by 1 guy every 5-10 of minutes. Honestly there was minimal drafting, I did not see anyone working together at my speed (around 5:35 bike)

This year was either very hard or very low competition, or a bit of both…..for me after 20 IM it was the hardest for sure since '98 at IMC (Bustos only guy under 9 hours)

But Jeff's run I agree 100% epic performance, see the photo from "photo guy" that was the pain face I was talking about ;-0 just right by where he passed me (of course 1 loop ahead)

…..the best thing…no watch, all heart (lungs, legs etc)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Which is a better run?
2:51 after a 4:31 bike? (Ie. Vanhoenacker) //

This is an easy one, of course Marino's run is better. One guy ran all out start to finish, the other ran within himself, shut it down at some point, and probably high fived all they way through the finish shute. We know how fast Symonds ran , we do not know how fast Marino could have run. This is always the case when the winner has a nice margin of victory. For all we know, Marino maybe had a 2;45 in him, at the very least i would wager he had 3 to 4 minutes at the very least..

Thankyou!
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This year was either very hard or very low competition, or a bit of both…..for me after 20 IM it was the hardest for sure since '98 at IMC (Bustos only guy under 9 hours)"

Aah, good times! That day sucked more than a sucky truckload of suck. Nobody popped a 2:40 that day. Except in the med tent.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with this, but let's not take away from what jeff did on sunday................ no matter how you slice it after a bike like whistler to follow it up with a 2:40 marathon and make it look easy is impressive to say the least. Is it earth shattering no, but damn he looked so much faster than all the other guys it was truly a sight to see..............Awesome guy, awesome race..............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Well that took 3 posts to become negative. Congrats.

My def of legit: 180km bike ride that actually challenges athletes & 42k run.

So this course is legit. I ran the loop Monday am. 21k (ie: 42k) & the bike is uber hard.

What I find not legit? Florida. Tempe. Roth. Frankfurt...etc. draft feat and/or flat pancakes.

Good enough?

Rhys, I know the course length is legit, and it is a tougher run course than Kona and certainly tougher than Roth. I was on loop 1 when Jeff passed me on loop 2. I said, "Jeff, that looks like sub 2:45 pace', to which he replied, 'Don't know, i feel good".

After the race, when i spoke to him, I said that might be one of the most dominating runs since the Mark Allen Dave Scott 2:40.xx in 1989 which included T2. One day we'll see Jeff in Kona and only then people will believe how fast this guy runs. He ran 2:47 on a crashed hip last year at Penticton with nothing to prove. He ran up to 3rd at 2011 70.3 WC's, so he is no run slouch. When he is on, he's one of the best around. He's going to need to do something like this in Kona, Frankfurt or Melbourne to get true credit and for people to believe. Those of us who have seen it multiple times, know it is the real deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I crossed the line with my Garmin showing 26.16 miles.

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the funny part about his run is...

first half marathon ~ 1:20:35

Second half marathon ~ 1:19:59

and the second half was run with no pressure....game was over, he was in second with a big lead and no hope of catching first..... i told him to shut it down... but he never listen to my advice so ;)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome.... pretty close to call it legit ;)

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is mind blowing to throw down that kind of run and negative split the whole thing even though MV was out of reach. Kuddos to Jeff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can use an IM run as a qualifier and seeder for Comrades so I'd say small-l legit. Not BQ+Big L Legit. But still counts in some parts of the world.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
the funny part about his run is...

first half marathon ~ 1:20:35

Second half marathon ~ 1:19:59

and the second half was run with no pressure....game was over, he was in second with a big lead and no hope of catching first..... i told him to shut it down... but he never listen to my advice so ;)

LOL...maybe 1:19:59 was shutting it down and he had a 1;18 in there :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Melbourne is a point to point downhill run...once again....every year...tons of sub 2:50 and many sub 3h.

Didn't know Port Philip Bay was sloping :-). I may be able to do water skiing without a boat then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
I see so many files and never one with the right distance for Roth. Not sure what to think of your 43km;)

The imc course is different from last year. I would like to see files from this year but douth gps would be reliable in the forest??? Not sure

Normal course is 42.195 with no negative or positive elevation total. Imc penticton was one of them, for many years certified also...

From the other thread, last year I started a thread wondering if the old course was short as we had a few athletes who were a couple minutes faster. Long story short I think most people said that with all the turns and GPS issues the course last year was "close" this year I have only one data point which makes it a bit longer than last year by .6km.

In terms of Trev Wurtele being 8 min faster (bike), than last year. I have no idea….my only opinion is that he is a better biker or he rode harder on the day, personally I can't say it was easier

from an AG perspective last year was easy with lots of fast people (cool weather) and 500 more athletes. I was about 48'th going into Pemberton and was passed by 70 in the "packs" the whole time going 38KPH or so.

This year I was all alone, in Pemberton only being passed by 1 guy every 5-10 of minutes. Honestly there was minimal drafting, I did not see anyone working together at my speed (around 5:35 bike)

This year was either very hard or very low competition, or a bit of both…..for me after 20 IM it was the hardest for sure since '98 at IMC (Bustos only guy under 9 hours)

But Jeff's run I agree 100% epic performance, see the photo from "photo guy" that was the pain face I was talking about ;-0 just right by where he passed me (of course 1 loop ahead)

…..the best thing…no watch, all heart (lungs, legs etc)

Maurice

Maurice, first of all, congrats on number 20 and for briefly keeping me company. I said the same to my wife. That was the hardest IM I did outside of Nice 2010. I actually sat on a low power number too than any previous IM. i have a very decent aero tuck (sit on the top tube) and get a lot out of my zero watts coasting and Whistler provides many breaks, so it was not hard caused i overbiked. I think it was the run. One of the guys who i met from Germany had Garmin reporting that the total run elevation was 600m. i tend to believe it. it felt like that. You were always on an up or down. I think this hurts the lower Vdot age grouper more than the pro athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have roughly 1133m for Roth and 1137m for Whistler?

There seems to be a misconception that Roth is flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

1100m is flat.

The old IMCis about 4300 feet or 1300m.

The new one in Whistler is about 1800m-2000m depending on which file you look at.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not having done Roth or checked the elevation, isn't the Roth course fast because of short steep climbs followed by gradual descents?

that's not the case in Whistler.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
i dont think roth is a full 42.2km course. not from what i saw in the past. i take any time coming from there with a grain of salt as everyone is much faster there than they can be on normal courses.

Melbourne is a point to point downhill run...once again....every year...tons of sub 2:50 and many sub 3h.

i do not know if whistler was a full course either. My biggest impression come from the fact that Jeff outran Marino by 11 minutes. It was definitely a world class run and he as a promising future. we will see more of him in a near future

to my knowledge, this was one of the best run performance i ever seen from a athlete placing on the podium.

What I found strange is that not more organizers get their course certified. It is not that hard, even Norseman has done it.

The Norseman course has been accurately measured with the support of Kondis (Norwegian Road Runners' Society). Bike leg: 179,956 meters. The run: 37,413 meters from T2 to the mountain check point at Stavsro. Plus 4,752 meters from Stavsro to Mt Gaustatoppen. Total 42,165 meters.
http://nxtri.com/race_info/course_and_map

Wait, you forgot to mention Norseman in your post!

Oh, my bad.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

1100m is flat.

The new one in Whistler is about 1800m-2000m depending on which file you look at.

Maurice

Whistler is closer to 2050m, Roth is about half that. I would kill for a course like Roth given the fact that I'm 190lbs. I was blowing by people on the downhills at Whistler (Top speed of 51 and I wasn't even pedaling at that point). On the flip side there were also plenty of periods where I was in the 6-9mph range going up long hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

1100m is flat.

Maurice

Whistler is closer to 2050m, Roth is about half that. I would kill for a course like Roth given the fact that I'm 190lbs. I was blowing by people on the downhills at Whistler (Top speed of 51 and I wasn't even pedaling at that point). On the flip side there were also plenty of periods where I was in the 6-9mph range going up long hills.

I have files from 2 camps last year and 1 this year, plus both races and they range from 1800-2366m so I would say 2050m or about 6600 feet is close, or somewhere right in the middle/average.

Very tough course especially on that day, which makes both Jeff's run and MV's 4:31 bike pretty special. Great RR BTW.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jul 29, 14 23:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next