Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler
Quote | Reply
I am going to say that is the best legit Ironman course run in history next to Dave and Mark in 1989. Twisting, turning pathways with AGers all through second loop and a uphill gravel paths in sections. This after a heck of bike course. Watching his speed and then finish was astounding. Flying comes to mind!

Congrat's Jeff. Amazing.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we have a gps file or something confirming that the distance was legit? Really super fast time though. Was this his first IM or have I not noticed him moving up in distance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out on course sunday and he was flying. I got a nice photo of him as we ran around Lost Lake.

Scott in Whistler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
legit Ironman course

Please define. Was the course certified? Are ANY Ironman/iron distance courses certified? I think you'll find the answer is no, they are not.

I know at least two performances that I would say are better... but let's define "legit" first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running that fast is definitely very impressive. Running that fast on dirt paths is crazy impressive. How much of the course is dirt?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [photoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:47 in Penticton last after crashing his bike.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that took 3 posts to become negative. Congrats.

My def of legit: 180km bike ride that actually challenges athletes & 42k run.

So this course is legit. I ran the loop Monday am. 21k (ie: 42k) & the bike is uber hard.

What I find not legit? Florida. Tempe. Roth. Frankfurt...etc. draft feat and/or flat pancakes.

Good enough?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff was flying.. it was hot out there and the lost lake loop is not at all a fast loop to run on (very up and down and all gravel). Kudos to Jeff on a great race

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

So this course is legit. I ran the loop Monday am. 21k (ie: 42k) & the bike is uber hard.

What I find not legit? Florida. Tempe. Roth. Frankfurt...etc. draft feat and/or flat pancakes.

Good enough?

It's not negative to ask questions.

And, no, not good enough. Your "legit" is completely arbitrary.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah he was running in a totally different world. Reminded me a lot of seeing Rinny last year in Kona compared to the other competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really wish he could have run down first place. What am amazing run. That time goes down as fast along with Colin Digum on the old Ironman Canada run course. I think his time was 2:38:47. I was there watching him fly through the course that day BUT he was not fighting for a podium spot like Jeff was. AMAZING RUN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

Good enough?

BTW, Crowie... Melbourne 2012. 2:38.

Also, the bike course at Roth has almost the same elevation gain as Whistler... where I would argue Chrissie Wellingtons 2:44 was the greatest run performance in iron distance racing history.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jul 29, 14 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was volunteering at a run aid station and he hollered "just throw all your water on me!!" as he flew by
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, no, not good enough. Your "legit" is completely arbitrary

_______

ok - so your beef is with WTC. Lobby them to certify courses like marathons do. Otherwise all said defn is arbitrary. yours and mine.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
And, no, not good enough. Your "legit" is completely arbitrary

_______

ok - so your beef is with WTC. Lobby them to certify courses like marathons do. Otherwise all said defn is arbitrary. yours and mine.

How did you get beef with WTC? Non-WTC races also do not certify their courses.

I did not arbitrarily define "legit" either, I challenged your definition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that he ran a 2:40 and was blown away. I was also completely shocked at MV's 4:31 on the bike. When I saw him go by coming back from the turnaround, I figured there would be some people right behind him. No one showed up for what seemed like at least 10 minutes. That is an insane split to throw down on that course which simply allowed him to cruise to a 2:51 marathon and still win by almost 10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dont think roth is a full 42.2km course. not from what i saw in the past. i take any time coming from there with a grain of salt as everyone is much faster there than they can be on normal courses.

Melbourne is a point to point downhill run...once again....every year...tons of sub 2:50 and many sub 3h.

i do not know if whistler was a full course either. My biggest impression come from the fact that Jeff outran Marino by 11 minutes. It was definitely a world class run and he as a promising future. we will see more of him in a near future

to my knowledge, this was one of the best run performance i ever seen from a athlete placing on the podium.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vancity wrote:
I was volunteering at a run aid station and he hollered "just throw all your water on me!!" as he flew by

Amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
i dont think roth is a full 42.2km course. not from what i saw in the past. i take any time coming from there with a grain of salt as everyone is much faster there than they can be on normal courses.

What's a normal course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

Melbourne is a point to point downhill run...once again....every year...tons of sub 2:50 and many sub 3h.

i do not know if whistler was a full course either. My biggest impression come from the fact that Jeff outran Marino by 11 minutes. It was definitely a world class run and he as a promising future. we will see more of him in a near future

to my knowledge, this was one of the best run performance i ever seen from a athlete placing on the podium.

What I found strange is that not more organizers get their course certified. It is not that hard, even Norseman has done it.

The Norseman course has been accurately measured with the support of Kondis (Norwegian Road Runners' Society). Bike leg: 179,956 meters. The run: 37,413 meters from T2 to the mountain check point at Stavsro. Plus 4,752 meters from Stavsro to Mt Gaustatoppen. Total 42,165 meters.
http://nxtri.com/race_info/course_and_map
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see so many files and never one with the right distance for Roth. Not sure what to think of your 43km;)

The imc course is different from last year. I would like to see files from this year but douth gps would be reliable in the forest??? Not sure

Normal course is 42.195 with no negative or positive elevation total. Imc penticton was one of them, for many years certified also...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankfurt is a legit 42.2km run, and it follows quite a challenging bike course. Most of the run is flat, but it's inside a canal (a sauna, if you will), and since you have to cross it twice per lap, that's 8 bridges you have to run up from water-level.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
Frankfurt is a legit 42.2km run, and it follows quite a challenging bike course. Most of the run is flat, but it's inside a canal (a sauna, if you will), and since you have to cross it twice per lap, that's 8 bridges you have to run up from water-level.

Sshhhh.. your going to disturb the confirmation bias going on here. Euro races are all short and don't count. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Jeff Symonds runs 2:40:38 at Whistler [FatteLatte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to check Best Bike Split to see how hard that course is. Wow. 15 minutes slower the IMWI. A full 40 minutes slower than IMFL. This using a TSS of 250 and my bike profile and watts.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next