Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
It's interesting you don't have Ryf or Frodo on the podium.

He pointed to Jan's DNS at the 70.3 WC as an indicator that the season is different from his last.

It does make one wonder if there is a niggle there that Jan was needing to address .......or perhaps it was just a smart adjustment to his training/racing load to allow recovery before Kona.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If my memory serves me right, yes there was one that Jan brought to light. Whether he got it sorted in time for Kona is the million dollar question.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the winner comes from this group. Just depends on who has the best day.

Jan
Sebi
Jesse
Andy

Darkhorse:
Patrick Lange. Dude ran a 2:40 in ridiculous heat at IMTX. If it's not too windy on the bike and he can sit in he's got a chance.
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xplombier wrote:
It would be nice to see Joe Skipper in the top 5, not sure how the heat will affect his performance though.

He appears to have sorted out his position on the bike, so he could definitely be a threat.
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cupcakes on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
layaway tay wrote:
Cupcakes on the bike.

at 29mph.... on continental supersonics lol
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Sep 29, 16 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understanding people thinking Frodeno might have dipped into his reserves a bit too much this year as a reason, but the heat, I think he's shown in Frankfurt & Kona last year that that's simply not an issue.

You could argue going 7:49 in 104 degrees in early July (Frankfurt) is not very different to going 7:35 a week later in cooler temperatures this year; the run surface is much easier on the legs in Roth too.

I guess we'll see soon enough, or rather schauen wir mal....

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Heather Wurtele is a great shout for a women's podium. She has been on the island for 3-4 weeks now and had two-three weeks in Australia before that. Doing tons of session in the race conditions (heat and wind).

Minimal travel close to the race. In the right time zone and acclimatized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without seeing any TUE's for the Pro triathlon fields I'm going with these picks as my gut feeling.

Pro Men

1. Jan Frodeno
2. Sebastian Kienle
3. Brent McMahon

Pro Women

1. Melissa Hauschildt
2. Heather Jackson
3. Mirinda Carfrae

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Oct 7, 16 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:
Potts! No gatorskins and looks on a mission. Rinny rebounds.

You know that if Potts does not run gatorskins and flats he is going to go every slowtwitchers home and kick them in the ass....

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rinny or Ryf for women. I don't think two of them know which one will win.

Someone entirely new for men. Again.
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
DDMike wrote:
Potts! No gatorskins and looks on a mission. Rinny rebounds.

You know that if Potts does not run gatorskins and flats he is going to go every slowtwitchers home and kick them in the ass....

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryf is overraced in my opinion....look at her performance at the 70.3 WC. I'm going with Rinny FTW.

rinny
mel hauschildt
ryf

I'm rooting for Potts all the way, but if Jan has an "on" day, he's tough to beat:

Jan
Potts
Kienle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men:
1. Kienle
2. Jan F
3. Potts
sleeper: FVL

Women:
1.Ryf
2. Jackson
Rinny DNF, again.
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I think this will be the year an American wins. In order of likelyhood:

Potts
Hoffman
Tim O
Jesse Thomas

Rinny will run away with the women's title. Rhyf doesn't have much left in the tank.

Based on "precedence," only three of the four Americans you listed are possible winners:
- Potts & TO both meet the "previous year's top-4" requirement which has been true EVERY year, except when a prior winner who DNF'ed the prior year - e.g. Stadler 2005 - won; and Stadler is the only one in the past 20+ years to pull off outside-top-4-and-then-win. Mark Allen in 1995 was the last time this happened before.

Most prior winners have only won again after placing in the top-4 the previous year: Reid 2003 (2nd 2002), Macca 2010 (4th 2009), Crowie 2011 (4th 2010). And that's just going back to 2000 (because I'm lazy). Overwhelmingly, the winner comes out of the prior year's top-4. Given Raelert's injury, and Pott's age (he'd be the oldest winner by a year but the oldest first time winner but substantially more than that; I'm fairly certain Mark Allen and Crowie both won at 38 - might be 37 - but both had won multiple times before), you have to think that TO is the most likely candidate. With that said, Tim's top-10 finishes in Kona have ALWAYS come after he's had a strong early season Ironman (2nd Brazil 2015, 1st Brazil 2013, 2nd CdA 2012); the fact that he struggled in Frankfurt is not necessarily indicative of anything, except that - as I said on IMTalk regarding Jan - you do tend to see trends of how athlete's prepare over the course of a season when they do well.

- Jesse meets the "rookie" requirement, but remember, ONLY Luc Van Lierde won as a rookie on the men's side. Betting that you are next LVL is a big ask. On the plus side, Jesse has NEVER lost an Ironman. On the down side, he's never even finished an Ironman where the high temperature was above about 75F (maybe even 70F). So the difference - from a weather standpoint between Wales & Lanzarote, which was atypically cold this year, and Kona is huge. On the plus side, Jesse's biggest win ever - Wildflower #1 - came as a rookie. On the downside, he'd be the heaviest winner since Macca 2010.

Other "data" points:
- Sebastian would be the first person to come from inside the top-10 but outside the top-4 to win the race. Mark Allen 1995 and Stadler 2005 were both DNFs (maybe Mark was a DNS?). But also note that in each of the past two years, the Kona winner has also been the Frankfurt winner. And, overall, the winner at IM Frankfurt tends to do VERY well in Kona. The men's winner in Roth, on the other hand, has not done as well, which - I think - ties into the next little factoid...

- Jan could win, but no one except Hellriegel has raced 3x140.6 in a year and won. On the bright side for Jan, NO ONE has ever WON 3x140.6 IM including the WC in a year - Hellriegel was 4th in Austria (I think) the year that he raced 3 fulls and then won in Kona. As far as his "WR" performance, Andreas Raelert did NOT win Kona the year he set the prior "World Record" in Roth.

Those are just some of my random facts collected. I'm sure I've got more. Just need to taper a bit more and they will come to me. Not necessarily worth anything, but fun to just toss around since you guys are all speculating anyway...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
stevej wrote:
I think this will be the year an American wins. In order of likelyhood:

Potts
Hoffman
Tim O
Jesse Thomas

Rinny will run away with the women's title. Rhyf doesn't have much left in the tank.

Based on "precedence," only three of the four Americans you listed are possible winners:
- Potts & TO both meet the "previous year's top-4" requirement which has been true EVERY year, except when a prior winner who DNF'ed the prior year - e.g. Stadler 2005 - won; and Stadler is the only one in the past 20+ years to pull off outside-top-4-and-then-win. Mark Allen in 1995 was the last time this happened before.

Most prior winners have only won again after placing in the top-4 the previous year: Reid 2003 (2nd 2002), Macca 2010 (4th 2009), Crowie 2011 (4th 2010). And that's just going back to 2000 (because I'm lazy). Overwhelmingly, the winner comes out of the prior year's top-4. Given Raelert's injury, and Pott's age (he'd be the oldest winner by a year but the oldest first time winner but substantially more than that; I'm fairly certain Mark Allen and Crowie both won at 38 - might be 37 - but both had won multiple times before), you have to think that TO is the most likely candidate. With that said, Tim's top-10 finishes in Kona have ALWAYS come after he's had a strong early season Ironman (2nd Brazil 2015, 1st Brazil 2013, 2nd CdA 2012); the fact that he struggled in Frankfurt is not necessarily indicative of anything, except that - as I said on IMTalk regarding Jan - you do tend to see trends of how athlete's prepare over the course of a season when they do well.

- Jesse meets the "rookie" requirement, but remember, ONLY Luc Van Lierde won as a rookie on the men's side. Betting that you are next LVL is a big ask. On the plus side, Jesse has NEVER lost an Ironman. On the down side, he's never even finished an Ironman where the high temperature was above about 75F (maybe even 70F). So the difference - from a weather standpoint between Wales & Lanzarote, which was atypically cold this year, and Kona is huge. On the plus side, Jesse's biggest win ever - Wildflower #1 - came as a rookie. On the downside, he'd be the heaviest winner since Macca 2010.

Other "data" points:
- Sebastian would be the first person to come from inside the top-10 but outside the top-4 to win the race. Mark Allen 1995 and Stadler 2005 were both DNFs (maybe Mark was a DNS?). But also note that in each of the past two years, the Kona winner has also been the Frankfurt winner. And, overall, the winner at IM Frankfurt tends to do VERY well in Kona. The men's winner in Roth, on the other hand, has not done as well, which - I think - ties into the next little factoid...

- Jan could win, but no one except Hellriegel has raced 3x140.6 in a year and won. On the bright side for Jan, NO ONE has ever WON 3x140.6 IM including the WC in a year - Hellriegel was 4th in Austria (I think) the year that he raced 3 fulls and then won in Kona. As far as his "WR" performance, Andreas Raelert did NOT win Kona the year he set the prior "World Record" in Roth.

Those are just some of my random facts collected. I'm sure I've got more. Just need to taper a bit more and they will come to me. Not necessarily worth anything, but fun to just toss around since you guys are all speculating anyway...

I aware of everything you state above. I listed Jesse last on the list for those very reasons and the fact he will have to play catch up on the bike. If I was a betting man, I would not bet on him for all those reasons. But he seems to defy odds so I'm not ready to completely write him off.

Sebi and Jan are going to be hard to beat, no doubt. Everyone will have their work cut out for them. I just think there are a solid couple of americans who have the experience and have put all their cards into kona the last few years. I think it's time.....

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take

1) Sanders
2) Frodeno
3) Kienle

1) Ryf
2) Hauschildt
3) Carfrae
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please be Jesse, breath some fun back into this sport, and no I'm not trolling.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody is going to beat Frodeno unless he has a mechanical.
The podium spots are hard to call...
Watch for Cunnama though, he's been on a tear lately.

Ryf will be rested enough. I guarantee she went into 70.3 WC tired.
Her run has improved this year. She will take the lead at 40 miles and never look back.
Rinny will run into second.
Lester, for third. Really under-rated. Has had some seriously fast results this year though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents, McMahon, Hoffman, and van Berkel are getting underrated here for a podium spot. At least one of them. Jan or sebi for the win. Sanders barely cracks top 10.

Ryf rested a bit from a lousy worlds after too much racing and takes it. Don't know for second, but rinny runs into third or fourth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I just think there are a solid couple of americans who have the experience and have put all their cards into kona the last few years. I think it's time.....

I think that there's one other American with a pretty good shot to do well. But I'm biased... Wink

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
1. Callum milward
2. Andrew starykowicz
3. Thomas gerlach

Lol, good stuff.
Whooooooo I love you bro !!!!! :D kona 2016!!
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I put you on my list!!

"Thomas and Rapp should try to stay on Sebi's feet. Ironically the three of them benefit the most if Sanders doesn't swim like a nervous dentist. The 3 real triathletes bide their time and latch on to Lionel for a free ride to the front. If they catch Frodo by Hawi, it's going to be a fun race."

Race fast. Take chances. I think finishing first will be significantly more rewarding than finishing not first.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: It's time for your Kona picks [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kienle
Frodo
Thomas
Rappstar
Viennot

Carfrae
Wurtele