Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification,
Quote | Reply

Dan is a double amputee. He has been training to do IM Maryland next month. He signed up for the race as it was wheelchair accessible. He's been trying to get a hold of them for months, with no response. This is a post that he originally submitted to the 2016 Ironman Maryland's race group:

The Ironman corporation has decided that because I am a disabled triathlete I am not allowed to compete in this year's Maryland Ironman race. They haven't given me any reason as to why they've made this decision. If you care about para-athletes, wounded vets, disabled Americans, or human beings in general, please get in touch with Ironman, athleteservices@ironman.com, and let them know how you feel.
Thank you.
-Dan
Hey fellow IM Marylanders. I registered for this year's race way back in October of 2015. I'm an athlete that lost both of my legs while serving as a young Army officer in Afghanistan back in 2009, and due to my injuries I'm now a "wheelchair athlete." I chose the 2016 IM Maryland to be my first full distance IM race and when I registered, the information available listed the race as being open to wheelchair athletes. The 70.3 Eagleman, run on mostly the same course as 140.6, is open to wheelchair athletes, but for some unexplained reason, IM corporate has decided that this year's 140.6 race is not open to wheelchair athletes, and more specifically, IM corporate has told me that I am not allowed to compete as a wheelchair athlete. They haven't given me any reason as to WHY this is the case.
As an avid athlete, a board member of the nation's largest amputee-focused non-profit, the Amputee Coalition http://www.amputee-coalition.org/, and an advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities, I find this decision by Ironman to be ill-advised. Less than 1/3 of IM's North American races are open to wheelchair athletes. Since triathlons naturally occur on courses with water and open roads, I find Ironman's efforts to open their races to wheelchair athletes to be disappointing.
I am disappointed in Ironman's decision, my family and my friends that have supported me during my efforts to recover and train for this monumental experience are also disappointed in Ironman's decision. If you, my fellow athletes, are also disappointed in Ironman's decision I kindly ask that you contact Athlete Services, athleteservices@ironman.com, and let them know that you feel that their decision to bar wheelchair athletes from competing in the 2016 IM Maryland is short-sighted and unjustified (as they've given me no actual reason for why wheelchair athletes can't compete)...
Furthermore, I ask that you tell Ironman that their current percentage of wheelchair-open races (about 30% of all IM races) is underwhelming and is quite frankly, insulting to the millions of disabled Americans that simply want to be able to prove themselves in the same way that all of you want to prove yourselves.
Best of luck to you all. I know just how much effort it takes to prepare and train for an Ironman and I wish you all the best of luck. I'm sorry that I won't be able to join you all out on the course. Never quit.
-Dan Berschinski

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is IM Maryland a wheelchair friendly course?

I know that Ironman Western Australia is but Ironman Australia isn't.

Could be that simple.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems Eagleman 70.3 on the same course is open to wheelchair athletes. I wonder what the reason is that this division is not available at the IM on the same course. Are transitions that different making it impossible? Any stairs on the run course that are not there for 70.3?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry that this athlete is unable to compete in IM Maryland.
All I know is that only certain IM races are designated for certain types of handicaps.
Is it possible that IM needs "enough" competitors in his division to justify a Kona slot?
Is it that he has a desire to only race Maryland? Could he go to a different event?
I hope he and IM can find a pleasant solution for both parties.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe that there are Kona slots for physically challenged athletes at other IM races. As far as I know, the PC division slots for Kona are allocated via a lottery. There are slots for handcycle athletes at some races, but I think those races are all 70.3s.

So, this can't be justified based on Kona slots.
Last edited by: craigj532: Aug 24, 16 20:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  A quick search on the Ironman site found that Ironman Maryland is not a course for Wheelchair. It is a coming soon though, Whatever that means.
Not sure if that helps, but at least the info is available.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. But when he originally registered, the website said it was.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the Ironman rely on public roads is there a legal requirement to make it accessible? It seems like this could be an ADA issue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He sounds like a great guy, and sorry for the dilemma; but, your note doesn't tell when he was told this. Some IM races don't have pro categories, etc. I'm actually surprised how accommodating IM is to disabled athletes - he even says 30% of IM races have a wheel chair category. He apparently sees that as low, I see it as high. It takes additional/added logistics for only a very few people. For a private business with a profit model I think what they do offer is pretty good (of course I'm not disabled and might have a different perspective if I was.). Why doesn't he seek out a race that has a wheelchair division?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
He sounds like a great guy, and sorry for the dilemma; but, your note doesn't tell when he was told this. Some IM races don't have pro categories, etc. I'm actually surprised how accommodating IM is to disabled athletes - he even says 30% of IM races have a wheel chair category. He apparently sees that as low, I see it as high. It takes additional/added logistics for only a very few people. For a private business with a profit model I think what they do offer is pretty good (of course I'm not disabled and might have a different perspective if I was.). Why doesn't he seek out a race that has a wheelchair division?

Hey David, I think by definition every aspect of making anything accessible for disabled takes additional/added logistics. It has to, but this is what we do in a caring compassionate advanced society where we want to provide the same sporting challenges to all our peers. Ironman is probably the pinnacle of what people in an advanced society can do. I believe the only difference should be that where there are stairs, you either provide a ramp or a means to physically move the athlete and gear up and down by getting a group of volunteers to assist. Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but even a division of 1 athlete is a division worth having. I can see super hilly events with pitches at 15% on the bike or run being challenging, but the guys get up Palani in Kona, which must be around 10%. It seems like Maryland would be a decent course where less elite athletes in wheelchairs would have a good shot.

Also I think the same thing that applies to us applies to these guys. It is so much easier if an athlete can get into the car and just drive to an event with family rather than have to fly with all that gear. So I can see how the athlete wants to perhaps do the "local event". Logistics for travel may be a lot easier.

Keep in mind ,that plenty of $1B market cap companies servicing customers make a lot of concessions to make their businesses accessible to those with mobility limitations. I'd give it a pass if it was the local sprint tri, but at the scope of IM operations as the premier brand in the industry and the benchmark for what races should offer, I don't THINK this is a massive ask, however, I may be missing something major. Concessions are already being made for 5-10 athletes who come in during the final 1 hour close to the cutoff. If we can do that for generally older athletes (Imagine the uproar if the cutoff was moved to 15 or 15.5 hours), then I think concessions can be made for a few who need to race in wheelchairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Ironman is probably the pinnacle of what people in an advanced society can do.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! And we wonder why people make fun of triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switch to brands that care. Rev3 has a 140.6 distance next month. Both Rev3 and Toughman are supporters of team RWB.

Sadly, the only meaningful "stand" to take is to vote with your wallet and not support Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

1) Ironman
2) Land on the moon
3) Tacos
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

1) Ironman
2) Land on the moon
3) Tacos
is the moon wheelchair accessible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what does this have to do with Ryan Lochte vandalizing a bathroom in RIO? Can we please keep these slowtwitch posts on important topics? ;)

One would hope that ironman would be a little more forthcoming with their reasoning behind this decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Since the Ironman rely on public roads is there a legal requirement to make it accessible? It seems like this could be an ADA issue

This^. Public facilities for this race include Great Marsh Park (swim start and transition), Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge (bike course), Dorchester high school (bike special needs) and Long Wharf Park (finish). Given the road grades, ramp entrance to the swim, and beach exit from the swim, it seems that reasonable accommodations could easily be made.

Prohibiting differently abled athletes from racing on this course could be a civil rights issue.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Aug 25, 16 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why hasn't he sued them yet? hit them hard in the wallet, it's about time somebody does
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
why hasn't he sued them yet? hit them hard in the wallet, it's about time somebody does

Ah yes, here folks is an example of one of the major things wrong with America today. "Didn't get my way? I'll sue!" This is disgusting.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:

Ah yes, here folks is an example of one of the major things wrong with America today. "Didn't get my way? I'll sue!" This is disgusting.

considering that they stated that the race was wheelchair legal when he registered, he has proof of this, and then they reversed their policy and stonewalled him, this is a valid case. it's not a case of not getting what he wants, it's a case of false advertising and general douchebaggery.
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Aug 25, 16 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to IM Maryland shift course, but I can say as far as accessibility, it appears the course is not dangerous or overtly non-compliant. AND, if it needs a few minor items, I am sure WTC/Wanda can make adjustments. I watched/followed(with a group of people) Randy Caddell climb the rt. 86 to Main street hill on loop 2 in Lake Placid in 2002 in his "running" chair after riding his handcycle on that course....so I am pretty sure most US courses can be appropriate for paratriathletes.

You might reach out to Tom Z in a PM, if you have not gotten to speak with someone. He is an RD for IM, a STer and a great guy. he can probably point you in a direction of get an answer for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:

considering that they stated that the race was wheelchair legal when he registered, he has proof of this, and then they reversed their policy and stonewalled him, this is a valid case. it's not a case of not getting what he wants, it's a case of false advertising and general douchebaggery.

THis.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:

The Republican presidential candidate does it so why aren't we all doing it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
considering that they stated that the race was wheelchair legal when he registered, he has proof of this,

I'm not saying that IM is right in this situation, but what proof would he have? He says that the information that was available to him when he registered said that it was open to wheelchair athletes. It appears to be a recollection on his part of what was there, and not any sort of proof. Is it possible that his recollection is wrong? Everything people are commenting on here are based on hearsay and recollection.

I feel for Dan, and I fully appreciate the sacrifices he's made, but there's a lot of missing information and only a one-sided POV to fully point the finger at any wrong-doing or litigation.

FWIW, I feel suing is an awful practice for a large majority of cases.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC in another thread he posted proof in the form of a screen capture of the rules etc from the site.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman not allowing wheelchair athlete to race without justification, [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
IIRC in another thread he posted proof in the form of a screen capture of the rules etc from the site.

Maurice

I haven't seen this. If anyone knows what mauricemaher is referring to, it would be beneficial for the discussions here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next