Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur
Quote | Reply
The story here: Race Report, too many pics with lots of info on the course, venue, grub & brew

The ST version:
Holy smokes, I didn't see that coming.
I told Brian Stover after I cracked at Kona '13 that I wanted to really rock a 2014 Ironman. I just wanted crush one. (crush = top5 AG to me) He hit me with a ton of volume, kept me fresh, able to train, and injury free ultimately making the magic happen.

I cant write enough good things about Brian. I know you guys read about him on here and debate about if a coach is worth while.
We spend ridiculous amounts of money on things that may make us slightly faster. Brian will make you faster. As he says, he has been a total failure at making anyone slower.

Here is what you guys probably want to know:
4:48 something split
23mm Conti GP4000sii with Vittoria lambskin tubes inside ;) and Flo 90/disc
and what I look like on the bike

please don't buy a Dimond.

the numbers:

final build:
Rumor is it doesn't take this much, but it takes me this much.

things I did poorly
grabbed the wrong bag in T1, thankfully #119 must've gotten a late start
I wear a visor and have flappy Velcro straps on my shoes
I tanked the tail end of the bike because I didn't trust Brian since I was moving up so fast.

Things I did well
showed up with lots of fitness and picked a course to suit my strengths

If you are thinking of racing IMChoo
Don't rely on your swim
Be a strong and proficient cyclist
bring a ton of run fitness

that's all I got. Thanks to ST mafia for playing a huge role in life. I spend way too much time snagging tidbits off here, but you guys have been a big help getting me up to speed in the sport. I can't thank you all enough.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: Oct 8, 14 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
The story here: Race Report, too many pics with lots of info on the course, venue, grub & brew

The ST version:
Holy smokes, I didn't see that coming.
I told Brian Stover after I cracked at Kona '13 that I wanted to really rock a 2014 Ironman. I just wanted to learn to do crush one. He hit me with a ton of volume, kept me fresh, able to train, and injury free ultimately making the magic happen.

I cant write enough good things about Brian. I know you guys read about him on here and debate about if a coach is worth while.
We spend ridiculous amounts of money on things that may make us slightly faster. Brian will make you faster. As he says, he has been a total failure at making anyone slower.

Here is what you guys probably want to know:
4:48 something split
23mm Conti GP4000sii with Vittoria lambskin tubes inside ;) and Flo 90/disc
and what I look like on the bike

please don't buy a Dimond.

the numbers:

final build:
Rumor is it doesn't take this much, but it takes me this much.

things I did poorly
grabbed the wrong bag in T1, thankfully #119 must've gotten a late start
I wear a visor and have flappy Velcro straps on my shoes
I tanked the tail end of the bike because I didn't trust Brian since I was moving up so fast.

Things I did well
showed up with lots of fitness and picked a course to suit my strengths

If you are thinking of racing IMChoo
Don't rely on your swim
Be a strong and proficient cyclist
bring a ton of run fitness

that's all I got. Thanks to ST mafia for playing a huge role in life. I spend way too much time snagging tidbits off here, but you guys have been a big help getting me up to speed in the sport. I can't thank you all enough.

Did he give you a trucker hat for saying how good of a coach he is?

---------------------------------------------
I taught Chuck Norris everything he knows

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [CoreyLMay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CoreyLMay wrote:

Did he give you a trucker hat for saying how good of a coach he is?
I <3 ST

I have been denied a visor for 2 years now.

@christopher_borden •
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have to step in Barrett Brandon's pee pee?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race! Which program is that that shows the volume of each sport in the bubbles?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent (and thorough) race report.

You've inspired me to stop spinning around at 12-15ish hour weeks and try out some 20+ training.

Congrats on the race.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a well earned placement. You obviously worked you azz off. I do have a question. How do you find time to work full time, train 20+ hrs and keep such a beautiful woman from telling you to shove it?!?!

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
Congrats on a great race! Which program is that that shows the volume of each sport in the bubbles?

Thanks

That's Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incredible and nice position on the bike. Do you have a job/family though? Crazy hours!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he has a wife and i believe they/he run a dental practice. no clue how he fits that volume in, though!

great work B!

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy, he lets the wife do all the work.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see those 7-8year pass living with brian pay off.... All those big riding day and 29h weeks are right out of my book ;)

Great work to both of you!!! Brian is a very smart man...!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Even though you may take more than others just goes to show how much you need to work to be on the pointy end of things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Amazing performance! How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

That is some sick volume!! Do you work? Have you considered going pro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Dat volume doe! Could you comment on what your intensity distribution looked like? How about weekly TSS on the bike? I'm curious because IM training is a big mystery to me.

Also, I covet a Dimond.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job, and holy cow I think some pros do not train that much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Like the others, I'd love to hear more about how you fit in that much volume with maintaining work and family commitments. I find anything more than 13-15hrs per week results in a lot of extra strain and work for my family.

Love the Diamond!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
ow do you find time to work full time, train 20+ hrs and keep such a beautiful woman from telling you to shove it?!?!
I'm a lucky man, no doubt. That's actually the first thought that crept into my noggin when things got unpleasant. I'm a pretty dang blessed man. Fortunately, this whole tri-addiction is the wife's thing. Every season we have a heart-to-heart about it. I don't have to do it, but I have to do it all-in.

get2T2 wrote:
Did you have to step in Barrett Brandon's pee pee?
When I saw that thread, I was so glad I held mine until the bike. While I was waiting on my bag, I really had to go, but couldn't move my legs to stand. So for a second I thought it might be good use of time to make a little branch right there. fortunately, it didn't take long to think it was a bad idea.

leegoocrap wrote:
You've inspired me to stop spinning around at 12-15ish hour weeks and try out some 20+ training.
I am not convenced this is the secret; lots of guys get it done with way less, for sure. I love the bike and always ask for a longer leash from Brian. Cycling is what I do for fun, so often I would finish training and want to just go out for a noodle with the club guys. Instead, Brian started giving me enough to keep my occupied.

@christopher_borden •
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Incredible and nice position on the bike. Do you have a job/family though? Crazy hours!

I've got a good job, no doubt. Together, my wife and I work as much as 1.5 really jamming dentists. We could make more money in seperate practices, but we've decided to make more life instead.
It was a big investment on the front end, and if we don't get to harvesting the crops my die in the field.

BigCheese wrote:
Easy, he lets the wife do all the work.

Ass ets create income. If you're going to have a wife, she may as well generate money, right? Ha! I'm very fortunate to have a very talented woman's support and affection.

jonnyo wrote:
Great to see those 7-8year pass living with brian pay off.... All those big riding day and 29h weeks are right out of my book
Great work to both of you!!! Brian is a very smart man...!

Thinking back, Brian maybe mentioned he taught you everything you know. ;)
I do want to say thanks to you. You're "catch" video convinced me to stop swimming harder and start swimming better.

@christopher_borden •
Last edited by: Borden: Oct 9, 14 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really great race report. Congrats on an unbelievable race. Enjoyed reading every bit of it.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI TRI wrote:
! How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Have you considered going pro?
5'11.75" last time somebody out a ruler on me.
Race week was 163ish. I always weight with 2 cups of coffee and a banana in me, so maybe 162. I just use 74kg since that works for TJ. :)

Staz wrote:
Congratulations! Even though you may take more than others just goes to show how much you need to work to be on the pointy end of things.
Thank you, sir! I realized I was starting way, way behind the real athletes. Most of the guys I'm racing have a history of sport and a decade or so of volume. There's no way I'll match a HS/college swimmer, cyclist, or runner in life long CTL (can I write that?) but I can load it up on the front end. I can show up to race day confident I haven't been out worked. I may not be the best, but I'm the best I can be in that moment. All I can do is all I can do. It's cliche, but it's really solid advice too.

Cody Beals wrote:
Congrats! Could you comment on what your intensity distribution looked like? How about weekly TSS on the bike?
Also, I covet a Dimond.
I'll let Brian answer that if he wants. With Golden Cheetah, I peak over his shoulder, but he doesn't ever take my advice. I can say that there's a couple really good articles about what TSS/volume it takes to KQ from Allen Couzans and QT2 if you want a ballpark.

No need to covet, man! Ruster Sports is selling these things now! If you're going to ride a bicycle, it may as well be the best, right?

@christopher_borden •
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That training volume is awesome. You deserve that KQ for sure! Great job.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
Really great race report. Congrats on an unbelievable race. Enjoyed reading every bit of it.
Thank you! I hope it's useful info. I didn't have any help starting out, mostly discouragement actually. I did snare a few tidbits from web-strangers, so I hope giving back evens me up with tri-karma.

PUTU wrote:
Good job, and holy cow I think some pros do not train that much!
I suspect you are correct. But I also think most pros don't love the sport as much as I. You ever seen somebody have to whip a kid to make them go play? Training is easy when you love it.

AMT04 wrote:
Like the others, I'd love to hear more about how you fit in that much volume with maintaining work and family commitments. I find anything more than 13-15hrs per week results in a lot of extra strain and work for my family

It was an adjustment, absolutely. I ditched all other hobbies and sold all my toys. I am bedded down by 8pm and asleep by 8:30. I wake up at 4am without an alarm. (This is important to me, I always choose sleep over training, but rarely must make that choice)
On work days, I run from the pool before it opens, arrive as the doors open, rinse, banana, and swim until I absolutely have to get out to make it to work.
The days I'm off, I have a lot more slack schedule and usually spread it out over the whole day so I get better quality workouts.
Then weekends, I get my training done early and then go ride my bike ;)

The family and friends thing was tough for me. I really like those folks.
I eventually restructured my entire friend network around triathlon. It's unfortunate, but no more tossing myself into thickets off a moto and drinking all weekend. Those buddies are now sequestered to off-season fun.
Still, I probably spend more time with friends than most. I have a pretty big social network and usually have a small wad of folks to come out to play. When it gets close to game time, I'll hermit myself, but otherwise I'm usually around friends.

As far as family, there's Emily and my parents. With E, she can pull the plug on this anytime. But as a runner, she enjoys training too. We share many of the same friends so a lot of training time is together-ish. I really put a lot of thought into structuring my day around her plans and make sure that I date the heck out of her. Once my training wraps up on Fri/Sat, we go do something. I QT her like I mean it, which is pretty easy because I do.

To help patch abandoning my parents, I wag them all over the place to race-vacations. They seem to really like the whole show now that they understand it better. At first, dad couldn't understand why I was so bad at it. It adds a bit of travel expense, but holy smokes man it's nice having Dad there after the race.

@christopher_borden •
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! I didn't see you on race day but did see you at a small, local half back in the summer in Kingston, TN. Congrats on Kona Q!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible race. I'm also a dentist, in your age group, and also did IMchoo, albeit a couple hours slower than you. I have a practice, a wife and four kids -- 13-16hours/week simply maxes me out. To be honest, I'm not sure I could train that much if I did have the time. I think I'd burn out. I admire your commitment to it, and the best part is that it paid off. Congrats.
Quote Reply

Prev Next