Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cut down to 28-30 hrs a week seeing pt's and was able to squeeze in some 22-24hr workout weeks, considering if you take fri-sun off; work 12 hrs on monday, you can get in 2 hrs on week days and long training days on weekend.

mercuryvapor wrote:
31CapeHorn wrote:
Incredible race. I'm also a dentist, in your age group, and also did IMchoo, albeit a couple hours slower than you. I have a practice, a wife and four kids -- 13-16hours/week simply maxes me out. To be honest, I'm not sure I could train that much if I did have the time. I think I'd burn out. I admire your commitment to it, and the best part is that it paid off. Congrats.

I commend Borden for the commitment and mental fortitude he has.

I'm a fellow dentist as well. 15-16 hours max is what I could probably put together consistently without it putting a major strain on my family and killing the practice. 25 hours training/week + seeing crazy patients all week = burnout for me. I will be doing my first IM next year and plan on cutting down from 4 days of work to 3.5 to help accommodate more training. Fortunately my wife is the other dentist in my practice so she won't mind the extra workload:P

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
Borden wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

now time to get that run down and pass less than 9h on the course!!!! Keep the good work!

I've advised Brian that I need to run a stack of 100 miles/wk through the winter, but he never seems very receptive to my suggestions.

Yeah, you're running sucks. Even I beat you on the run in Chatt.
Seriously, you two really need to work on your run. I out ran you both :-) Too bad for me that there's swimming and cycling involved, too.

Congrats to both of you for throwing down some awesome finish times!!! Are you going to Kona too, Rick?

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rowan Jones wrote:
Seriously, you two really need to work on your run. I out ran you both :-) Too bad for me that there's swimming and cycling involved, too.

Congrats to both of you for throwing down some awesome finish times!!! Are you going to Kona too, Rick?

Dude, you did lay down a serious run split. Nice. But when I beat you out of the water there is definitely something wrong.

I'll be racing Kona with Chris next October. And when I say "with" I mean I'll wave to him as he's screaming back down from Hawi.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
Rowan Jones wrote:

Dude, you did lay down a serious run split. Nice. But when I beat you out of the water there is definitely something wrong.

I'll be racing Kona with Chris next October. And when I say "with" I mean I'll wave to him as he's screaming back down from Hawi.

Ha ha, not to worry, I sold my 910XT two days ago and my Forerunner 620 will be here tomorrow! I'm going to focus on what I'm better at in 2015 and maybe make a go at IM/XTERRA again in 2016.

I know it's a year off, but good luck to you both in your training and in Kona! I enjoyed both of your race reports as well.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jelly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work Borden...proud of you man! I remember back in 2012 when you e-mailed be about Brian...it's awesome to see where things ended up 2 years later! And I agree with the others...your blog is awesome, plenty of useful info and entertainment.

I went back looking through old e-mails and found this one that I sent to Brian:

"If I recall, he looks to be a solid biker/runner with a weak swim...I think you could do some damage with him!"

I think I was right. :)

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've advised Brian that I need to run a stack of 100 miles/wk through the winter, but he never seems very receptive to my suggestions.

i take all your suggestions seriously. Often they are ahead of where you are. My job is to file that suggestion away for when it's appropriate then break it out. Recall I did mention something about that race you've opened up each season with where you've gone 3rd OV then 2nd OV and this year I think it's time to race it for the win.

Everything is a progression, you can't go from A to G in one step you need to get to B then C.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race. I remember you on the biking thinking, who did his fit because it looked damn near perfect. Did you get fit by someone in the South?

Also, I am pretty sure we shared a few words yo-yo'ing a bit during the back half of the 1st loop (me passing on the uphill, you passing on the downhill).

Edited to remove second question on second half run split (forgot about ironmanlive). You must have started a decent bit back in the swim queue. Anyway, great race again.
Last edited by: songmak: Oct 10, 14 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
songmak wrote:
Also, I am pretty sure we shared a few words yo-yo'ing a bit during the back half of the 1st loop (me passing on the uphill, you passing on the downhill).

Did you have on an orange Rudy Project helmet?

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No (green). The yo-yo'ing I mentioned was during the run (going up Barton and back down prior to crossing the pedestrian bridge the first time).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [¨ã] [C W] [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
¨ã wrote:
I'm jelly
Thank you, sir!

C W wrote:
I went back looking through old e-mails and found this one that I sent to Brian:
"If I recall, he looks to be a solid biker/runner with a weak swim...I think you could do some damage with him!"
I think I was right. :)
Thanks, Chad! I remember seeing the A3 logo on your kit and thinking you must be an absolute stud if Stover was coaching you. And then you beat the snot out of me.
desert dude wrote:
can't go from A to G in one step you need to get to B then C.
faster faster and more more, patiently. I got.

@christopher_borden •
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga Race Report -- First Amateur [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
songmak wrote:
Nice race. I remember you on the biking thinking, who did his fit because it looked damn near perfect. Did you get fit by someone in the South?

Matt Cole at http://podiumms.com did my fit.
I've tweaked it a bit, and it's like sitting on the sofa now. More or less

I had some clown riding pretty dirty for nearly an entire loop. He either didn't understand the draft rules or didn't care. Regardless, he mustn't have any self respect.
I'm glad you meant on the run, otherwise I was about to be challenged to be polite, for sure.

as to the yo-yoing,
I do remember jockeying with a runner very earlier on while it was still pretty lonely. He was running way up on his toes, so it stood out in my mind. I must've passed him at some point, but I got so focused on keeping things in control at the end, I didn't have much mental capacity left.

Was that you?

@christopher_borden •
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Chris!!Great to see all the hard work has paid off!! I wish you well in Kona 2015 and maybe see you at another race next year!

Http://darkhorsemultisport.blogspot.com :Riding the Awesome Train with Darkhorse Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there were a few clowns out on the bike. That was me on the run. My toes always pay a price for that running style. We never crossed paths again after the bridge which was why I asked about the second half of your run. Kudos on a staying solid and holding it together because I thought for sure when I passed I would be able to put enough time into you to make up for what I new was a deficit off the bike. Great race again and best of luck in Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry if this has already been covered here but I could not find it in a quick scan of the posts.

You used a 1700 calorie bottle on the bike. Since this is highly concentrated, do you try to drink a water bottle at each aid station to help with diluting the formula? Do you have a set time for how often you take a sip from your 1700 calorie bottle or do you just know when it's time to hit the fuel source again? Thanks again for all your very informative info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between your killer race and Maik leading the bike I think your Dimond secret is about to blow up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next