Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm surprised these people don't ask the women in our sport to race in Burqa's.

I'm surprised that the fact that nobody objects to women racing in bathing suits or sports bras, but some do object to a Playboy spread is so entirely lost on you.
Pardon my ignorance , I don't see your point.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because you can't see past sex doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

Classic and amusing. You realize this is Slowtwitch, the home of the hottie thread, becca (I think that's her name) and "Pics or it didn't happen"

Come on NO ONE looks at Playboy as "Art".

Ohhh baby check out the art on her chest! Holy crap that's the tightest art I've ever seen! Classic.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is simply that there is a difference- almost too obvious to mention, I'd like to think- between racing in appropriate athletic gear and posing in Playboy. You should stop trying to equate the two.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [jar1635] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I think I would be mortified to think about my little girl getting naked for a magazine"

Then raise her in such a way that you create a value system in her that will prevent her from doing it. Although, that same value system may instill a sense of pride in her body, and she'll do it anyway. How do you expect to teach your kids "right and wrong" if you always seek to shield them from what you think is 'wrong'? To me, something like this would be a perfect opportunity to trigger a discussion on the topic with my kids. Granted, I don't go out of my way to expose them to Playboy, nudity, etc. but if its unavoidable (like the SI swimsuit edition at the grocery store checkout) then talk about - don't stand in front of the magazine and hope they don't see it. Open dialogue makes more sense than pretending something doesn't exist.

I have 3 girls - ages 6,5 and 2.5.

I completely agree that it is the parent's responsibility to instill the proper values in their children -- no question. However, you must admit that when more and more women -- WHO ARE SUCCESSFUL IN OTHER AREAS LIKE SPORTS -- choose to pose nude, it makes it harder to instill values in your children b/c "societal norms" make it ok to engage in that type of behavior. Not using that as an excuse, just saying it makes it harder on parents.

This has been a fantastic discussion, but, it has gone off on several tangents. We could debate whether or not young women (in general) should pose nude. But, that is not the point of my original post. The point of the post is this: Amanda Beard, world class athlete, poses nude. So, does this diminish her athletic achievements? Why did she pose nude, b/c she realized she could not stay in the public spotlight based on her athletic skill alone? Does this send the message to young girls that athletic achievement is not enough -- you must be sexy and be willing to bare all? Why do they keep putting Danica Patrick in sexy dresses and parade her all around (for example)? Isn't that saying the same thing?

I don't know kids, so, I don't know. I will say it again, I, personally, have no issue with her posing. I love to look at fit naked bodies. But, the article raises some great points and really gets me thinking.

If I had a young daughter who excelled at something, I would want her to make it on her own skills and not have to worry about displaying her body to get recognition.

So, is it a problem? That's for people much smarter than I to determine. I just see the potential for problems.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jun 12, 07 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously you don't see a difference between a female taking pictures naked for the express purpose to be looked at for the pleasure of the viewer and a female being mostly naked in functional clothing during a race?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [10-4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I'm simply pointing out that Vitus's attempt to separate art from sex is nonsensical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK as a follow up, how about a female in a conservative strip bar, the kind that are wearing a bikini, and a female in a bikini on a beach. Any difference?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't she already make it on her skills? From what I have read she is doing this for two reasons: 1) money (hey the life of a gold medalist in swimming, especially a women is not exactly a cash cow) 2) She is proud of her body.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It was actually a joke about Paulo between Vitus and I which is why he returned it in kind"

And it was HILARIOUS.

"Oh, so making a joke using a curse word suddenly makes one unintelligent and unable to make a good argument with well orchestrated points...even if the joke is not part of the argument??? Give me a break."

Again, the joke was so hilarious that I missed it was a joke at all.

"Thanks "bucko""

You're welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Didn't she already make it on her skills? From what I have read she is doing this for two reasons: 1) money (hey the life of a gold medalist in swimming, especially a women is not exactly a cash cow) 2) She is proud of her body.

I see your point and agree. I think that is why she did it.

Did she already make it? Yes. But, in order to stay in the public light, she must display her body (arguably).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Vitus, avert your eyes!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: JohnA: Jun 12, 07 18:24
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm simply pointing out that Vitus's attempt to separate art from sex is nonsensical"

Wait, art and sex aren't mutually exclusive. Some art can be sexy, but comparing a museum to Playboy makes no sense at all.

There is plenty of art that isn't sexy, plenty of sex that isn't art. There is some art that's sexy, some sex that't done artfully.

Am I missing your point?
Quote Reply
Re: Vitus, avert your eyes!!! [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So there's no difference betwen that and Playboy? Come on, seriously?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Vitus, avert your eyes!!! [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have to agree with you....do some really not see the difference here?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I see your point and agree. I think that is why she did it.

Did she already make it? Yes. But, in order to stay in the public light, she must display her body (arguably).

But isn't that her choice? She made the decision and she is comfortable with it and honestly, that's all that should matter to us. Personally I would love it if all Olympic medalists would have the money to make a decision such as this simply based on if they want to or not instead of thinking about finances, but that's not reality. I would love to get paid $1m to coach college soccer, but it isn't going to happen so I earn extra money in other ways (sorry no nudity as my wife is the only one who wants to see me nude!). I do camps every year that take me away from home (this year will be our first anniversary together...and yes I let my wife say yes or no the last two years) and take away from training (an injury at one caused my Steelhead training to go to hell) but get me a new laptop, put months of car payments in the bank or, this year, buy me a race wheelset. I don't think she is doing it to stay in the public light so much as she wants to do it (a lot of women actually think highly of Playboy) and wants to be financially set.

10-4- I am so sorry, I now see the light and realize that anyone making a joke with one person should explain it to everyone and nobody should ever curse anymore cause that makes 'em dum like.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [gregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, whatever. Nice attempt at making a mountain out of a molehill. Sixty million Americans in school, less than 50 are shot on any given year. Far more die in auto accidents. Hardly epidemic.
Last edited by: Learn: Jun 13, 07 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Vitus, avert your eyes!!! [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, there is a huge difference - Playboy would never have a naked woman sitting next to two men like that - way too risque for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitus, avert your eyes!!! [10-4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If so it is rather frightening and now more understandable why I'm having such a hard time teaching the difference to my teenage daughter. Maybe the media barrage of sexuality has more of an effect than even I thought it has. Maybe these are slight nuances to most but there is an OBVIOUS difference between sexuality and nudity.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly, that is *just like* the material in Playboy.

Oh, and I never attempted to separate art and sex, as you claim. All I said was that Playboy magazine is not about art, and it isn't. It's about titillation.

Besides, Cabanel's Birth of Venus is much better.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, whatever. Nice attempt at making a mountain out of a molehill. Sixty million Americans in school, less than 50 are shot on any given day. Far more die in auto accidents. Hardly epidemic.

Personally, as someone who works at a college, and worked at a high school before, that more then one shooting on a school campus is an epidemic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of Hustler - filthy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"10-4- I am so sorry, I now see the light and realize that anyone making a joke with one person should explain it to everyone and nobody should ever curse anymore cause that makes 'em dum like."

Apology accepted. Though you still have yet to EXPLAIN the joke. Cursing doesn't make you "dum like"...not having a point and resulting to cursing does though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically, you've abandoned any attempt to justify Playboy, and have retreated to a strawman argument.

This would be an opportune moment to cut your losses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude have you blown a gasket? In one picture you have two fully dressed males apparently caring on a conversation, neither are even paying attention to the female. The femal, nude, is obviously not trying to be provocative in anyway. Again nudity versus sexuality.

The other picture...for the love god I can't even see anything that resembles a female.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article on Amanda Beard/female athletes posing nude. [10-4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"10-4- I am so sorry, I now see the light and realize that anyone making a joke with one person should explain it to everyone and nobody should ever curse anymore cause that makes 'em dum like."

Apology accepted. Though you still have yet to EXPLAIN the joke. Cursing doesn't make you "dum like"...not having a point and resulting to cursing does though.

Sorry I forgot about using pink color for those kinds of posts.

Quote Reply

Prev Next