Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I had a heart attack at 41
Quote | Reply
There have been other threads to this same subject, and certainly it's on people's mind after Tim O'Donnell's experience, but I thought it was worthwhile to add one more story to the conversation. Friday night, I had a major heart attack, caused by 100% blockage of an artery. I live just outside of Kirkland, WA, so my time from hitting the floor to getting a stent in at our regional cardiac trauma center was less than 2 hours. Damn lucky, and grateful, for having that level of expertise 10 minutes away.

I'm 41. That's 5 years younger than my dad was when he had is. He did everything wrong (no diet, no exercise, smoking, all the things). I did everything "right" (monitoring and controlling BP and cholesterol starting at 25, great diet, massive exercise training). I did a recovery run that afternoon and had a steady HR in the 110s. I controlled every variable I could as well as I could, but that isn't worth #@*% when weighed against the genetics. And all of that is why I was on the floor mentally going through the list of symptoms, knowing what was happening to me, and thinking "It can't be happening *yet*." And damn, I got great care, but I did get real tired of the nurses saying "You're pretty young to be in here" and "Well, we can't really tell you to do anything different."

I'm mostly a long-time lurker, but I wanted to come here just to tell y'all the same thing I'm telling all my friends:
1) It can happen at any age and in any condition. I'm hearing now from heart attack survivors who started having theirs in their early 20's. Or teens. Age and lack of fitness are increased factors, not tickets to entry.
2) Get your tests, and control what you can. My thinking has evolved in the last 48 hours from "damn, I did everything right and it still didn't matter" to "I did everything right-- and that might have saved my life."
3) Know the signs, and don't be stupid and Type-A if you're having them. I was an idiot, and I didn't tell my wife what was happening even though I was *clearly* in trouble. I passed out in the hallway where she saw me. That "I'm fine, I'm not having a heart attack" cost me 10 minutes, and could have cost me a lot more if I weren't lucky.

Other than that, I get to add one more data point to the ongoing "yes, it can happen to us." Be well, take care, and see you at Maple Valley 70.3 in 10 months.
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [jtillinghast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are doing well and sorry about youre coming out on the raw end of the genetic lottery. Good reminder for us to keep our health in the forefront. Despite most of us being on the pointy end of the spectrum in terms of hours spent exercising, none of us are immune to these types of issues.

I agree with your re-framing of the issue to " I did everything right--and that might have saved my life."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - glad you're OK!

There are no genetic markers in my family, but pushing extremely hard doing Time Trials at 76 years of age, I often question my own wisdom. Probably due to Agent Orange exposure, I have what's called "Parkinsonian like symptoms" - my hands shake a lot - so the VA has me taking 60mg of Propranolol HCL daily, a beta blocker that limits my maximum heart rate. I seem to tolerate it well, it decreases the shaking hands, I can still ride pretty dam fast (train with 50 year old's), and I almost always get on the podium in a AG race. I usually take it first thing it in the morning, but I will often delay taking it the morning of an important race.

I realize this probably has nothing to do with a clogged vein or artery, I'm just wondering if this stuff is preventing me from killing myself!
Last edited by: Hanginon: Nov 15, 22 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jtillinghast wrote:

2) Get your tests, and control what you can. My thinking has evolved in the last 48 hours from "damn, I did everything right and it still didn't matter" to "I did everything right-- and that might have saved my life."

Can you expand on this? What tests?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are useful threads on here that talk about the utility of advanced cardio testing if you're not symptomatic, but with my n=1, I have been following my blood pressure and cholesterol for years and across doctors-- At my last physical, we were able to see that the trendline of my cholesterol was getting steeper as I got older. In other words, that the year-to-year difference was accelerating. We treated that accordingly, but it was the first warning sign for me 6 months ago. It's worth noting, though, that we only did that because my new Primary Care Dr wanted to see the data over time, and I had it on hand. This spring was the first time I'd ever looked at the trendline in that detail.

Blood pressure is notoriously variable over the course of the day or multiple days, so I tracked it routinely with a home BP cuff. More samples=better data, easier to track changes over time. These are easy to track, and I'm very glad I did.

Getting further afield, based on my risk factor (family history), we had talked about the potential value in getting a coronary calcium scan. Basically a fancy X-ray that measures the degree of blockage present in your arteries. Reference. Based on my risk factors, balanced against my fitness level and age, we agreed "That's going to be important in the next couple of years, but we probably don't need that now." Boy, if I could go back and redo that conversation...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all for early evaluation of risk populations which start at age 35 for both men and women *(not at "any age")
And I do so agree with the advice to "get checked" for any concerning symptom.

Best of luck for a quick recovery.

Here's a link to an article I wrote for ST a while back
What Endurance Athletes Need to Know about Heart Health
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...art_Health_7911.html

'Statins and training'
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...st=last-6643505#last

'Worried about my heart'
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tring=dtoce#p6619853

'Heart health screening thread'
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...st=last-7150717#last

plus, Tom's thread
I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms : Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

Also, since this always comes up and people want to know what the real risk is about competing in triathlon once diagnosed with heart disease...so to be complete, I'll throw in this one
'Sudden death in triathlon'
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...riathlon_P6427784-2/

Information about coronary artery calcium scoring
https://www.acc.org/...-cardiovascular-risk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, glad you're ok! Just wondering - were you under the care of a cardiologist before your heart attack? Given your history, I wonder if a stress test, EKG etc. would have revealed any red flags. If you had a cardiologist I would think he/she was pretty freaked out by what happened.
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [paddy_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know what the OP is going to say about being under cardiac care, but I wanted to dispel misinformation before it starts....

if one desires screening for early heart disease/CAD, then a calcium score is the way to go--not an ekg or stress test
and I would only do it if the patient was > 35 years of age
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is freaky is I am 2 months from turning your age, and have similar history with your father and you - starting to fix myself at 25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you were in your hallway instead of the water at a triathlon when it happened. Hope you have a full recovery and are back at it next year!
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lukily for me, one of the hospitals near me does calcium scoring for free. Just had to get an order and have the scan done. My calcium was in the lowest risk category (but did find a mildly dilated aorta that needs following now)
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [paddy_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not have a cardiologist before. My Primary Care's thoughts were exactly as dtoce put here: The test we would have done would be the calcium scan (link in one of my posts above). EKG and Stress Test were never part of the conversation.

And dtoce, I am grateful to you for sharing your expertise in the community both here and in the other similar threads you linked above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you-it is a privilege to pay forward to this community

I’m glad things worked out well for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jtillinghast wrote:
we had talked about the potential value in getting a coronary calcium scan. Basically a fancy X-ray that measures the degree of blockage present in your arteries. Reference. Based on my risk factors, balanced against my fitness level and age, we agreed "That's going to be important in the next couple of years, but we probably don't need that now." Boy, if I could go back and redo that conversation...

wanted to say 2 things:
1) the link to your "reference" regarding coronary artery calcium scoring above is broken

2) all patients who are 35 years or older should have that conversation with their doctor, IMO...and I'd really push for the test-$100 result is so very worth it

an aside; I am seeing about a 5+ year lag with women, so I actually don't push women until they are aged 40+ *(thanks to prolonged hormone protection)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
don't know what the OP is going to say about being under cardiac care, but I wanted to dispel misinformation before it starts....

if one desires screening for early heart disease/CAD, then a calcium score is the way to go--not an ekg or stress test
I am 64, train 10 hours of swim-bike-run per week and race regularly. My doctor suggested a calcium score a year ago. No family history of heart disease and cholesterol well within normal limits. Based on the test results I am now on 20MG of Pravastatin. A lung nodule was also found and I have a pulmonologist watching that for two years. I continue to train and race well. I highly endorse the calcium score as great preventative medicine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jtillinghast wrote:
There have been other threads to this same subject, and certainly it's on people's mind after Tim O'Donnell's experience, but I thought it was worthwhile to add one more story to the conversation. Friday night, I had a major heart attack, caused by 100% blockage of an artery. I live just outside of Kirkland, WA, so my time from hitting the floor to getting a stent in at our regional cardiac trauma center was less than 2 hours. Damn lucky, and grateful, for having that level of expertise 10 minutes away.

I'm 41. That's 5 years younger than my dad was when he had is. He did everything wrong (no diet, no exercise, smoking, all the things). I did everything "right" (monitoring and controlling BP and cholesterol starting at 25, great diet, massive exercise training). I did a recovery run that afternoon and had a steady HR in the 110s. I controlled every variable I could as well as I could, but that isn't worth #@*% when weighed against the genetics. And all of that is why I was on the floor mentally going through the list of symptoms, knowing what was happening to me, and thinking "It can't be happening *yet*." And damn, I got great care, but I did get real tired of the nurses saying "You're pretty young to be in here" and "Well, we can't really tell you to do anything different."

I'm mostly a long-time lurker, but I wanted to come here just to tell y'all the same thing I'm telling all my friends:
1) It can happen at any age and in any condition. I'm hearing now from heart attack survivors who started having theirs in their early 20's. Or teens. Age and lack of fitness are increased factors, not tickets to entry.
3) Know the signs, and don't be stupid and Type-A if you're having them. I was an idiot, and I didn't tell my wife what was happening even though I was *clearly* in trouble. I passed out in the hallway where she saw me. That "I'm fine, I'm not having a heart attack" cost me 10 minutes, and could have cost me a lot more if I weren't lucky.

Other than that, I get to add one more data point to the ongoing "yes, it can happen to us." Be well, take care, and see you at Maple Valley 70.3 in 10 months.

Welcome to the club and very happy you are still here. I live just down the road from you (English Hill (Redmond/Woodinville))... we should get together and have coffee, share stories. I have been on this journey since Feb 13 of 2021. Similar story to yours, but it took 4 days to get the stent in and I now have some heart failure. Still managed to finish four 70.3's this year (can't say I was "racing" like the old days... but I was out there.. and that felt good.)

Also... check your LP(a). I have no genetic markers, no family history... but the doctors did trace things back to extremely high LP(a). I am now working with the Sports Cardiology department at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale and they have provided an enormous amount of answers.

and I am serious about grabbing coffee. Would love to chat.

-Greg

Quote | Reply
I'm not sure welcome is the right word, but yes.... Welcome to the athlete heart patient survivors club---its a better club to be in than the other athletes heart patient club.

Take some time to process what has happened to you, and what has happened to your family. Be sure to take care of your own mental state and that of your family. What just happened is a big deal. It would be wrong to discount it.

I poured myself into "coming back"---so many of us (athlete heart patients) do. I was dead set on proving that I was "ok"---i could still do it.... I was better, faster, stronger than before. I don't know that was the right thing. I wouldn't say it was the WRONG thing, but it probably wasn't the right one. I'm still proud of what I accomplished that year... But, it took a toll several members of my family - - - in stress and worry for me.

These things have a much (maybe more) of an impact on our loved ones. Even though they may be supportive of your desires... Be sure they have a voice in your plans. My desire and drive was very stressful for my wife and daughter. Every time I left the house for a run, they were constantly stressed. They never said anything. I didn't really "know" (or dolidnt want to).

I'm not suggesting your family will react like mine. I don't know.... I'm just saying think that 70.3 through... And see it through their eyes too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in but won't hijack...

Ca Score Test of 1800....do I win?

that was when I turned 50 (2021). had done 4x 12' @ 100% on the trainer that morning. Will dial back the details but took several weeks to trust I wasn't going to die in my sleep, then transition to "not dying today so get something done", to ''get back to doing what you love but go ez all the time'', to ''dial in intensity but stay controlled and disciplined with how and when'', to my most recent decision to race short course locally next after several years of passing on registering for any race.

I do have to admit that I'm a little scared the lurking potential of an MI in the water despite my ability to ease into the start of any swim.

On a side note, I did find a few studies that demonstrated masters athletes with a long term history of high volume and high intensity had abnormally high scarring in the cardiac arteries and, by definition, higher calcium scores in the cardiac arteries. Prob biggest take home message from this note is that you don't have to be a pro to be unlucky with the neg consequences of too much training and too much intensity.

Having said all this, my cardiologist advised me to get back to it. Just don't go hard all the time, don't go hard if you feel 'off' during the day, basically be on symptom watch and be honest with yourself. He even dug into some of the wko history and liked that we can use timely intervals/RPE/recovery times....a trend of not finishing wko's or needing longer than normal recoveries...as a red flag.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jtillinghast wrote:
My thinking has evolved in the last 48 hours from "damn, I did everything right and it still didn't matter" to "I did everything right-- and that might have saved my life."

Glad you came through this in one relative piece.

Your words above resonate with me - I can't really quantify or put my finger on it, but it has to do with gratitude and satisfaction for having prevented a worse outcome, as opposed to being angry at the event (anger would most likely also be my first response).
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:

Ca Score Test of 1800....do I win?

that was when I turned 50 (2021). had done 4x 12' @ 100% on the trainer that morning. Will dial back the details but took several weeks to trust I wasn't going to die in my sleep, then transition to "not dying today so get something done", to ''get back to doing what you love but go ez all the time'', to ''dial in intensity but stay controlled and disciplined with how and when'', to my most recent decision to race short course locally next after several years of passing on registering for any race.

I do have to admit that I'm a little scared the lurking potential of an MI in the water despite my ability to ease into the start of any swim.

On a side note, I did find a few studies that demonstrated masters athletes with a long term history of high volume and high intensity had abnormally high scarring in the cardiac arteries and, by definition, higher calcium scores in the cardiac arteries. Prob biggest take home message from this note is that you don't have to be a pro to be unlucky with the neg consequences of too much training and too much intensity.

Having said all this, my cardiologist advised me to get back to it. Just don't go hard all the time, don't go hard if you feel 'off' during the day, basically be on symptom watch and be honest with yourself. He even dug into some of the wko history and liked that we can use timely intervals/RPE/recovery times....a trend of not finishing wko's or needing longer than normal recoveries...as a red flag.

You win because you know and have taken the appropriate steps to lower risk going forward and know that you should never ignore potential symptoms of trouble. Going forward, the best thing to do is accept it and move forward, as you say.

And yes, Dr. Baggish and I had talked about this finding years before he published this paper. He was the MD for the Boston M prior to leaving for Europe...

Coronary Artery Calcification Among Endurance Athletes | Circulation (ahajournals.org)

I have many athlete friends/patients who have abnormal scores and take their meds and understand what it all means. It does not prevent them from being active/athletic and competing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that's the very article I read.

Kudos. Gives me a bit of peace of mind knowing, possibly, why my score was so crazy high.

I remember telling my wife "Well, this explains it!!! It's because I'm healthy!!!"
Her, "that's great, Hon. Here's your meds."

;)

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
I remember telling my wife "Well, this explains it!!! It's because I'm healthy!!!"

;)

Ha! I'm not the only one who gets that response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

It's my understanding that insurance often does not cover this test.

If I am paying out of pocket, would I need a prescription?
Quote Reply
Re: I had a heart attack at 41 [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
dtoce wrote:

It's my understanding that insurance often does not cover this test.

If I am paying out of pocket, would I need a prescription?

No 'script', but you usually need an order from a physician.

morpheus wrote:
I believe that's the very article I read.

Kudos. Gives me a bit of peace of mind knowing, possibly, why my score was so crazy high.

;)

cool
Now you have Tom H to commiserate with...

Dinsky11 wrote:
dtoce wrote:

I am 64, train 10 hours of swim-bike-run per week and race regularly. My doctor suggested a calcium score a year ago. No family history of heart disease and cholesterol well within normal limits. Based on the test results I am now on 20MG of Pravastatin. A lung nodule was also found and I have a pulmonologist watching that for two years. I continue to train and race well. I highly endorse the calcium score as great preventative medicine.

this is good to hear
Quote Reply

Prev Next