Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Worried about my Heart!
Quote | Reply
I'm 68 and I've been pushing it since my late 20's. This year I'm getting the full cardiac work up and my resting HR is right around 41. I had a cardiac ct scan two days ago and the doctor called today to tell me that I have blockages up to 70%. He told me that I'm fine to race and I'm going to a trail race in Palo Alto next week. I'm going to back it down a notch for this race. I did a trail race in Berkeley last year that nearly killed me. No way am I digging that deep this year.

So here's what's worrying me; I'm going to race Montauk in about six weeks. The water temp right now is about 41. If we are lucky, it will get over 50! Remember a few years ago when all the old guys were dropping dead in the swim? Was it ever determined what killed them? There's no way I will do a swimming warm up in that water then stand around. I'll do my usual run warm up and be ready. So what was killing all those guys? I love Montauk and I love that cold swim and that it feels like it's in the 90's by the time you get to the run, but I don't want to become a floater just to prove it!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something is going to kill us all, sooner or later. Unless you are having chest pains with accompanying tingling/numbing down the arm, then I would not worry about it. Those doctors just estimate the blockage, they really don't know the exact amount unless they do a catheterization. Even then there is still some degree of estimation in the results. Regardless, the size of heart arteries vary somewhat. On a slightly larger artery than typical, a 70% blockage will still passes more blood than a 25% blockage on the same artery if smaller in diameter.

When you say a previous race about killed you, then maybe it's time to back it down a notch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it makes you feel better, all those guys dying where in their 50s! Seems like you made it way past that so maybe nothing to worry about!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I'm 68 and I've been pushing it since my late 20's. This year I'm getting the full cardiac work up and my resting HR is right around 41. I had a cardiac ct scan two days ago and the doctor called today to tell me that I have blockages up to 70%. He told me that I'm fine to race and I'm going to a trail race in Palo Alto next week. I'm going to back it down a notch for this race. I did a trail race in Berkeley last year that nearly killed me. No way am I digging that deep this year.

So here's what's worrying me; I'm going to race Montauk in about six weeks. The water temp right now is about 41. If we are lucky, it will get over 50! Remember a few years ago when all the old guys were dropping dead in the swim? Was it ever determined what killed them? There's no way I will do a swimming warm up in that water then stand around. I'll do my usual run warm up and be ready. So what was killing all those guys? I love Montauk and I love that cold swim and that it feels like it's in the 90's by the time you get to the run, but I don't want to become a floater just to prove it!

Sorry Im not following-are you saying the doctor said you have some arteries that are 70% blocked? And this is despite being very active since your 20'ies? Hows your diet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that the calcium scan they do with the CT machine?? If so, that % number they gave you is not really blockage, but a number that tells you that 30% of the folks are worse than you and 69% are better. At least that is what they told me. I don't think 70% is a horrible number for someone your age(and about mine too) but it would indicate that perhaps it is time to take a look at your diet and maybe some vitamins and meds that keep that plaque circulating, rather than getting stuck inside your pipes.

Good and bad news is a lot of it is just genetic, but of course there are always things you can do to mitigate whatever genetic disadvantages you were born with. But you will need a very good sports type doc that specializes in the heart too, they are few and far between I'm afraid. So much of what is known is recent, and new stuff is coming to light all the time.

And probably not a bad idea to reprogram how you race and train, if your body has changed so drastically, shouldn't racing do the same to accommodate those changes?? You only hear about the occasional athlete dying if it actually makes any news, but I hear about them all the time, and a lot of guys in their 60's. 3 friends of mine in the past 5 or so years died in races or hard workouts right after a hard race, so take plenty of time to recover from hard efforts..
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, up to 70%. He is sending my for an angiogram and is starting me on the minimum dose of lypotor and baby aspirin. He told me not to worry at this point and to keep doing what I've been doing all my life. My cholesterol has always been around 220 never much more or less. I have no chest pain and no tightness. It's just got me concerned about the wicked water at Montauk giving too much shock to my ticker!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats pretty high cholesterol to have, 220. I would start there. I believe they want you to be in the 160 range these days, and of course your ratio is more important than overall numbers. But for sure that is high, but most docs would not be alarmed because they see folks over 300 all day long!!! They are not used to us race horses, and we require the best numbers available to us...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Yes, up to 70%. He is sending my for an angiogram and is starting me on the minimum dose of lypotor and baby aspirin. He told me not to worry at this point and to keep doing what I've been doing all my life. My cholesterol has always been around 220 never much more or less. I have no chest pain and no tightness. It's just got me concerned about the wicked water at Montauk giving too much shock to my ticker!

Start taking 300mcg of Vitamin K2 Mk-7. If you take calcium supplements, stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Sorry Im not following-are you saying the doctor said you have some arteries that are 70% blocked? And this is despite being very active since your 20'ies? Hows your diet?

https://www.runnersworld.com/...ardens-your-arteries
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Thats pretty high cholesterol to have, 220. I would start there. I believe they want you to be in the 160 range these days, and of course your ratio is more important than overall numbers. But for sure that is high, but most docs would not be alarmed because they see folks over 300 all day long!!! They are not used to us race horses, and we require the best numbers available to us...

It depends on his breakdown of LDL HDL and triglycerides. I’m 44 and have TC of 220 but my HDL is over 100 and LDL and triglycerides well under 100 so my doctor says he is not worried with my 220.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

I try not to respond to these threads, but occasionally feel compelled to-especially when there is misinformation or incomplete information.

You, of course, need to discuss your concerns with your doctor.

That said-a ct scan with a high calcium score is notable for being a risk equivalent for cad/ischemic heart disease/clogged arteries. Just like diabetes or pad, risk factors are treated more aggressively. Testing is done for even minor symptoms to exclude severe cad and a heart attack.

A cta is a ct scan w special imaging to look at coronary artery blood flow and estimate presence/abscence of plaque and %. Not the gold standard angiogram through the leg or hand artery but pretty good test.

Aspirin works on the platelets and makes the blood slippery but is not a true blood thinner. It lowers risk if mi and death in patients w cad and risk equivalents for cad or patients with multiple risk factors and intermediate risk.

Statins are indicated in 4 groups of patients, which includes patients w cad, diabetes or high risk patients (like family history of premature cad/sudddn cardiac death or elevated risk based on a predictor score. I won’t go through the specific indications.

Your doctor can estimate your cad risk with estimators and calculators but a cardiac evaluation by a certified cardiologist can give you the best peace of mind.

I wouldn’t do an angiogram/cath on an asymptomatic patient unless there was a high risk stress test suggesting the need for one. There are specific criteria for ‘appropriate use’ of all cardiac tests now and we are held to high standards.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for such good information. I forgot to mention that my initial testing showed two leaky valves and a 20% enlarged aorta. I am already scheduled for an angiogram in a couple of weeks when I get home from California. I'm going to do the trail race and all my races this year at a lower level and see how it goes. I really don't think I'm going to like it though, in order to be competitive I need to work harder and push harder than the other guys, I've always thought that my only skill as an athlete is my ability to dig deep and take myself right up to ''death's door'' in short races. Well now that I know that it's a possibility, I don't want to go there anymore. This could be my last year of racing and I'll be good with that.

It also explains why I've been running slower and my legs are feeling dead so much this year. Last year I still had it, this year I ran a 4 mile race almost 2 minutes slower. So we shall see. If it's over this year, it's been great career that started at the American ORT 10k race at Turnburry Isle in 1979 and will finish at a sprint tri on Grand Bahama this October. It's been great but my racing days just might be coming to an end.

Last edited by: Sweeney: Apr 30, 18 4:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the angio sees blockage, would they not be able to open it up with a stent? If yes, that might have you feeling much better? Of course, I'm not a doctor..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney,

I understand your concerns. At age 61 I had slightly worse news and ended up in surgery. If I were you I would find the very best cardiologist who is knowledgible about endurance athletes and sports. Heart disease (coronary artery disease) is probably more prevalent even among athletes than most would believe. With their help you'll likely have many years of participating in the sports you obviously love. I have completed many IM's, marathons and various shorter distance races since that time (I'm now 69).

One thing for you to know is that your arteries probably have good collateral development.

I would also encourage you to warm up sufficiently and yes, like you, I would do my best to be prepared for a cold water swim.

Both Larry Creswell (http://www.athletesheart.org) and John Post (http://www.johnpostmd.com/) have good info on their sites.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I'm going to do the trail race and all my races this year at a lower level and see how it goes. I really don't think I'm going to like it though

So then, why do it?

Other folks have commented on the important issues here. I'm just wondering, what's the appeal of a running a race which you won't enjoy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

I'm glad you consulted slowtwitch before doing anything
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

I've been away from ST for a while, but I know where to come for help!

Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
I'm going to do the trail race and all my races this year at a lower level and see how it goes. I really don't think I'm going to like it though

So then, why do it?

Other folks have commented on the important issues here. I'm just wondering, what's the appeal of a running a race which you won't enjoy?

Because I won't know until I try it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should also ad that I've been seeing a cardiologist for about five years and had my first treadmill stress test at least 4 years ago. The cardiac testing was started by my GP because of my family history and my racing. I thought nothing of it but now I'm glad they've been watching.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning I woke up this morning wundering; could my slow, 41 bpm, heart rate be a contributing factor in the plaque build up in my arteries?

Swimming easy at the pool feels good, it's really all I ever do anyway.

Biking easy is all I would be doing right now since I'm getting such a late start outside.

Running easy feels like it just takes so long (and at my age, I'm always going slow).

Last edited by: Sweeney: May 1, 18 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about my Heart! [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
. If you take calcium supplements, stop.

Sorry to derail anything but this caught my eye. I'm waiting for a ct coronary angiogram and calcium scoring and have recently been out on calcium channel blockers instead of betablockers as the BBs were just making me I'll.

I take a calcium, magnesium, zinc and vit D supplement as well as coq10.
Are you suggesting I shouldn't? And if so could you explain why?
I also have a reasonable amount of (grass fed) diary.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
xcchampion11 wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

I've been away from ST for a while, but I know where to come for help!

As you have been away for a while if a comment is written in pink it is generally intended to be ironic or funny ie not taken seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Take a warm bottle of water and dump it in your suit about 5 minutes prior as that will start the water warm and your body will warm it and great an additional barrier. When you hit the water it won't be as much of an impact. Also, I thought the recommendation for baby aspirin was just canned based on recent research.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply