Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why'd they set an Attack on the rear?

Because they are smart? Pretty sure it's turned backwards also. What have I been telling you?

Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clincher (tubeless compatibility unknown)

The video shows a tubeless compatible rim.

Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really not sure why they bother with a rear at all?

Do Trackies run dual H3s?
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

No but hipsters do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Are those actually happening? I think the rear needed a redesign. Haven't heard anything about them since March.

I corresponded with them via email two weeks ago and they were scrambling to get the redesigned hub ready for Interbike

Quote:
The video shows a tubeless compatible rim.

Yay! Even though I'll likely just stick with a latex tube, it's always nice to have options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I corresponded with them via email two weeks ago and they were scrambling to get the redesigned hub ready for Interbike

Cool. Glad they redid it. When they introduced it I was worried they'd end up like Alchemy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which HED disk is the best match for the H3 Plus front? Is it Jet Plus?
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably. Something that fits in your frame and is wide, I'd guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all the great, aero wheel sets you can get now for under $1300, the only reason I can see anyone buying these is bling.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my h3 hub feels great, granted it is a 2015 and way better than the 1997 model I once had(that thing felt like a garbage disposal)
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Agree that it looks cool and all, but without data it's a crap shoot.
This. Have to admit I'm dubious. I always thought that the narrowness of the H3 was better for a front wheel (for fast guys anyway), but I suppose I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Which HED disk is the best match for the H3 Plus front? Is it Jet Plus?

If your frame can take it, I'd say yes. No penalty to being wide back there and you get a bit of additional cush for your tush.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
owen. wrote:

No but hipsters do.

I work in San Francisco and the proper hipster setup is a deep front wheel and H3 rear. That actually makes a bit of sense, as those things can't pop spokes and are supposedly indestructible, if not comfortable.

And don't forget to chop your bars down so narrow, your fists are touching the stem.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all the great, aero wheel sets you can get now for under $1300, the only reason I can see anyone buying these is bling.

Probably a more sensible allocation of funds than most high end bike parts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't really study the new wheel, but does this come off of the same DuPont mold that hed bought and used for the past however many years, or does this wheel come off of a brand new mold? In the past, wheels like the h3 deep used the original DuPont/specialized mold and then hed added the additional carbon for the depth. I'm thinking if it's the same mold this whole time, even for this wheel and the gt3, that mold would be very profitable for them, especially if they sell a lot if units at that price. If it's a brand new mold, then maybe the high price is needed to recoup the cost of the mold? That's quite a lot of money in either case for a wheel set imo.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to wager that this wheel is from a new mold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who knows. We don't know anything and they probably won't tell us.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has to be new mold(s) because of the size difference between the designs. Couldn't make both wheels from the same molds and it wouldn't be reasonable to modify the H3 molds to make the H3wide (irreversible modification).

This brings up the question regarding what parts of the wheel geometry has changed and how that will affect the unique aerodynamic properties of the H3.

Also note that the H3 is made in Spain and finished in minnesota. The new H3wide is probably also made in Spain.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...cling_base_4001.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am regrettably selling my 650C HED3 clinchers as I've got a 700C bike now. I will really miss those wheels. I was never as good as the wheels, but it's nice to have really cool nice things.

Knowing the HED3 is getting an update is perfect timing for me. I might actually have to get back on my bike rather than sitting on my ass messing around on Slowtwitch. THEN I could justify getting a new set.

IF only the rear had a deep option......

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bumping this up... any data on the H3+ yet?

or any independent data on the GT3?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So two questions on this wheel:

(1) It's the latest and greatest version of the Hed H3. So why take a step backwards or not otherwise offer with the turbine brake track? Wouldn't it be just as easy to offer with the turbine track as with the silver aluminum track?

(2) Why not tubeless? I get that with a 100% carbon rim, you have to redesign the entire layup to get the tubeless compatible bead hook, but the H3 uses an aluminum rim. And Hed makes a number of tubeless compatible rims. So couldn't they just use the bead hook design from one of their tubeless compatible aluminum rims and use that rim shape for the H3 Plus?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(2) Why not tubeless?

The H3+ is tubeless ready.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
So two questions on this wheel:

(1) It's the latest and greatest version of the Hed H3. So why take a step backwards or not otherwise offer with the turbine brake track? Wouldn't it be just as easy to offer with the turbine track as with the silver aluminum track?

(2) Why not tubeless? I get that with a 100% carbon rim, you have to redesign the entire layup to get the tubeless compatible bead hook, but the H3 uses an aluminum rim. And Hed makes a number of tubeless compatible rims. So couldn't they just use the bead hook design from one of their tubeless compatible aluminum rims and use that rim shape for the H3 Plus?

So I bought an H3+. I can post pics later if wanted. It is tubeless compatible. It would probably be the easiest/best tubeless setup ever (no rim tape to worry about). That said, my recent forays into road tubeless have left me less than elated so I don't think I'll be going down that path.

I don't know why they didn't give it the turbine brake treatment though :/
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? I looked on the website and didn't see anything and did some cursory searches and didn't see anything there either. Is there something I missed you can point me to?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next